Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leading question: Is Dirk the 1?

Leading question: Is Dirk the 1?

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Dirk Nowitzki hears it all the time. How could he not?

If it's not being asked of him, it's being asked of his teammates and coaches. And those who make a living monitoring the pulse of the NBA have asked the question the past several years.

Dirk, isn't it time to step up and make the Mavericks your team?

"I don't really like the words 'stepping up,' " a sweat-soaked Nowitzki said after a recent practice. "What have I done for the last five years? I don't know if there's much to step up, but I'll try.

"I will never be a vocal-type leader. I will always lead by example, go out there and play hard. I'm going to battle and make something happen for my team."

There's little debate of Nowitzki's importance. He has led the Mavs in scoring and rebounding four consecutive years, earning All-NBA honors each of those seasons.

His willingness to work also is unquestioned. Off-season workouts with mentor Holger Geschwinder are as challenging as they are unusual.

Nowitzki continues to expand his perimeter-based offensive game by sprinkling in a few more moves on the block, including an improving hook shot. He's a better-than-average rebounder, and no one has called Nowitzki "soft" for years.

"I'm trying to be better defensively," Nowitzki said. "That's one of my biggest goals. As a team we didn't get big stops last year and I was a big part of that. I have to be better in rotations, I have to be better at keeping my man in front of me, I have to be better at pick-and-roll defense, and get out there and be aggressive. Offensively, I'm not going to get any worse."

Still, he's never going to be an above-the-rim menace like Kevin Garnett. A lock-down defender like Ben Wallace. Or a low-post machine like Tim Duncan.

Does that mean he can't dominate a game?

"It's a different kind of dominance," said Michael Finley, Nowitzki's teammate since the German star entered the league. "Tim and Kevin are different kinds of players. To me Dirk is a 7-foot [shooting guard], and he's able to do a lot of things [shooting guards] are able to do in this league.

"He might be pretty limited when it comes to being a factor on defense, but he has the skills to affect the game on the offensive end with any of the best in the league. That's his strength. We don't want to take that away from him. He's a prolific scorer and, if he puts all this tools together this year, he can easily be a top-five scorer."

True, but top-five scorers don't necessarily carry their teams to new heights. Of the top five last season, two -- Tracy McGrady and Paul Pierce -- played on losing teams. A third, Kobe Bryant, led to the dismantling of a dynasty.

Nowitzki, beginning his seventh season, finished ninth in scoring last season at 21.8 points per game. It did, however, represent more than a three-point drop from the year before, and his rebounding numbers (8.7) were the lowest since his second season.

Some of the statistical decline is attributed to the unbalanced nature of the 2003-04 Mavs. Nowitzki never quite adjusted to Antoine Walker and Antawn Jamison on the crowded frontline.

They're both gone as part of the massive overhaul that included Nowitzki's best friend, point guard Steve Nash, leaving for Phoenix. Center Erick Dampier and point guard Jason Terry change the team's dynamic, though the burden appears to be on Nowitzki more than ever.

"The biggest issue [for the Mavs] is whether Dirk is ready to go to the elite level and really carry a team," said Greg Anthony, an ESPN analyst and former player. "When you look at the very best bigs, the ones who have proven to be the best are those who can dominate the defensive end of the floor. Duncan. Garnett. O'Neal, both of them [Shaquille and Jermaine]. Wallace, both of them [Ben and Rasheed].

"Offense is not enough. He also has to make people better offensively. This is his team and teams typically take on the personality of their best player. Only time will tell."

TNT analyst David Aldridge isn't sure if the Mavs came out better after the latest round of change. Again, it comes down to Nowitzki.

"It's hard for me to say the Mavericks have improved themselves," Aldridge said. "Losing Nash is such a blow to the organization, on and off the court. Obviously, he had a very close relationship with Dirk, and I wonder if Dirk will play with the joy he's shown over the years this coming season."

Finley compiled a list of goals for Nowitzki this season. Though Finley isn't sharing the list publicly, in a nutshell, he wants Nowitzki to come out of his.

"He's a great player who leads by example, but it's time for him to go more into a vocal leadership role," Finley said. "As far as having that mean streak in him, all great players have it. I know Dirk has it in him. For him to show it not only will be beneficial for him, but the team as well."

Nowitzki understands Finley's plea, but he's not going to be something he's not. For all the talk of not being vocal, Nowitzki lets his teammates and coaches know of his displeasure on the court, whether it's practice or before 20,000 fans. And it's not with a whisper.

"I'll do whatever it takes to lead this team," Nowitzki said.

When asked about Nowitzki early in training camp, Mavs coach Don Nelson said leadership couldn't be forced. It has to come naturally.

"All I ask a guy to do is give his best effort," Nelson said.

Team insiders do see a difference in Nowitzki. The loss of Nash hurt, but Nowitzki hasn't withdrawn because of it. Lashing out at the organization was another option.

Instead, he admitted it was time for him to "grow up." Remember, Nowitzki is only 26. In an NBA life span, he's just entering his prime.

"To Dirk's credit," Mavs owner Mark Cuban said, "he wants to be the guy. He doesn't need a sidekick."

It's time to fly solo.