Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-14-2002, 10:13 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Man the Rangers are snake bit this year....injuries abound.

Palmeiro hoping to return by Friday

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Rafael Palmeiro believes he can be ready to return to the Texas Rangers' lineup by Friday. However, that may not be quick enough for the banged-up Rangers.

The Rangers are currently without Palmeiro (calf injury) and Frank Catalanotto (groin muscle tightness) heading into a pivotal three-game series at the Chicago White Sox beginning Tuesday night. The Rangers are facing the prospect of playing the White Sox two men short if they do not put one or both of their injured players on the disabled list.

"We're weighing this thing out right now," Rangers general manager John Hart told the Dallas Morning News. "If we've got a chance to get one or both of those guys back before the weekend, we may play short for a couple of days. I don't want to do it, but I don't know that we have any better alternatives."

Catalanotto showed progress on Monday, according to the newspaper, but also has acknowledged that he tried to come back too quickly from previous groin injuries and ended up on the disabled list as a result. Palmeiro underwent an MRI, and has a significant strain, but no tear.

After leaving Sunday's game, Palmeiro had the calf wrapped tightly, and was told to stay on crutches. "It feels like I got hit by a pitch there," Palmeiro told the News. "I'm going to do whatever I can to get in there, but I've got to feel halfway decent."

The Rangers could recall either of their two first basemen from Triple-A Oklahoma: Jason Hart or Travis Hafner. If Catalanotto goes to the disabled list, the Rangers promote outfielder Ryan Ludwick.

They could also bring Juan Gonzalez back from his rehab assignment early. Gonzalez, on the disabled list since April 11 with torn muscle fibers in his hand, had four at-bats in an extended spring training game Monday, and is scheduled to stay in Florida through Thursday.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links