Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-13-2002, 07:15 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Jose Canseco announced his retirement today falling only 38 dingers short of 500. I remember how excited I was the day he cme to the Rangers for Sierra, Jeff whatshisname, and some parts. Say what you will about him, but that homer he hit into the Target sign was the most amazing homerun I have ever seen with my eyes. It was a thing of beauty.

Thanks for the memories Jose....

Link.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2002, 09:21 PM   #2
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

I actually know his brother Ossie. He played ball here in Madison a few years- great GUY. Much more quiet and layed back than Jose is. Ossie was one of the best pitchers in the NY Yankees farm system, but he wanted to be a hitter like Jose. The Yankees told him NO way, so he asked to be let go. He tried catching on as an outfielder for many years in the Minors(Oklands Farm team)but never made it. Maybe he should of just stuck to pitching????
Old 05-13-2002, 11:05 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to miss Canseco. He ws never the same after he blew out his arm trying to pitch.

And the fly ball that bounced off his head for a homer was classic.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 11:38 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

good point on the arm...it's too bad he didn't get to 500.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:39 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

MFFL- I grew up with David Hulses older brother and sister in San Angelo. Did you see Hulse laughing when that ball went over off Jose's head? It was one of the funniest pure moments of humor that I had ever seen. David's facia expression was jsut awesome.
Old 05-14-2002, 12:21 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I always loved the fact that Canseco laughed about it - he could have taken it and become bitter about the humilation but chose to rise above and laugh WITH his tormenters.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 12:23 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

The whole stadium was in stitches.
Old 05-14-2002, 01:01 PM   #8
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

yeah you gotta love them wife beaters.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:03 PM   #9
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

did he come here for jeff huson?
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 06:39 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

no it was a pitcher (our former closer), Sierra and some change. Too tired to look it up right now.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:12 PM   #11
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

That ball bouncing on his head can really be bad for him getting into the Hall of Fame. I know- that sounds like a stupid statement- but im serious. People remember him for that, and the pitching he did in one game. Both dont leave hall of fame material in the minds of the voters. I think being the first 40/40 man, and almost 500 homers gets him in, but from what I hear he is border-line big time.....
Old 05-15-2002, 10:43 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

It would be criminal if he doesn't get in.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:53 PM   #13
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

well since he is a criminal he already has a head start...
Old 05-16-2002, 02:18 PM   #14
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Ruben Sierra, Bobby Witt and Jeff Russell

(off the top of my head)
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 02:37 PM   #15
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

That sounds about right. I think we got Otis Nixon in return when we traded him to the Red Sox several years later. What a depreciation in value.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 02:43 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

he won't get in...didn't have enough good years..wasn't dominant enough for long enough
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 07:00 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Jeff Russell....that was it. Thanks Rhylan!
Old 05-16-2002, 08:06 PM   #18
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

np Doc. I am an early-nineties Rangers savant. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I don't claim to know it all, and I can't say that I'm always right, but sometimes my brain just pukes forth information about the Rangers from that time period.

Like the other day, I ran across the name Calvin Schiraldi. I was like, "Calvin Schiraldi?!?!"

Sure enough, I looked it up, and he pitched a total of 4 innings in 3 games for the Rangers in '91. He had like an ERA of 11. But I remembered him so quickly, like he was Nolan or Raffy or someone of that quality. Rangers Rain Man.

Jeff Russell... He was an interesting character.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 08:08 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Jeff had a funny open arm delivery. Damn effective though. I just had a brain block on the Russell part.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I have been to Rangers games every year since '72. I've seen so many of those guys come and go...tough to remember them all I guess.