Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-06-2002, 12:56 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Let's tidy up the board and keep all the gameday stuff from today in this thread.

First Quarter:
Carter trips on his own feet in the open field and we don't get the easy first down.
On the fourth down he ran to the wrong side as the play developed to his right.
Nice pass to Whelan, but a little low and he missed him in stride. This underscores what a lot of say about Carter. He cannot throw accurately down the field. Whelan made a great catch.
Nice pass to Galloway into triple coverage. Why throw it into triple coverage when your receiver has a bad thumb is beyond me. Carter shouldn't be throwing it into triple coverage any time. But Galloway made a nice catch.
More missed reads.
Emmitt starts slow....

Second Quarter:
A few defensive mistakes...damn.
Carter starts very poorly in the first possession. Misses a few easy reads.
Misses a few easy passes.
Horrible down field early.
All of Carters throws are short to mid range even when deep options were there. Even the commentators are dogging him on his reads.
Great great vintage run by Emmitt Smith. That was nice to see.
More defensive miscues. Not the norm for this team.

Matt Bryant is kicking well for the Giants. Why the mention? He just made one hell of an open field tackle and he is a fellow alumni and a fighting Baylor Bear.

Carter missed an wide open pass to teh outside....would have been a 10 yarder.

Carter just found Galloway over the middle...nice read for once and he delivered it well. I hope he does that more often. If he does...I'll get off his suck ass.

more later...I am going to enjoy the game. But I am taking notes....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2002, 01:06 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Why does Carter keep tripping over his own feet? He has stumbled about 5-6 times under center and when he scrambles, he keeps losing his balance. This is the turf they practiced on all during training camp, so that would just be an excuse. Seems odd. He is doing a better job a little further down field I guess...we will see after the game.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:22 PM   #3
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Dang Doc, from your description I would have never guessed Carter was 13-21 for 180 yards in the 1st half.

As far as the turf goes, everyone seems to be tripping all over themselves. Maybe a rush job to get it down or someithing. I don't know.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 01:59 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Carters done fairly well today. He started very slow. I am trying to find the "Yards after the catch data". I'm sure it is about half of his yards. I have said all along, when I think he plays well I will say it. So far..not so bad.

I have to add though, that he is dumping the ball a lot. He is stretching out his usual game into the 8-10 yarders which I find encouraging. He is not throwing down field (15+ yards) well as of yet. He still hasn't shown me anything at all in that department.

That he is hitting some of the more intermediate routes has opened up the running game a little....I loved that Emmitt td run. Emmitt has done well today. When Carter throws deeper than 3-5 yards, it opens up a lot of other facets of the game. We are seeing that today.

Still a lot of game left and a lot of work to do, but at least today I see some flicker of hope that he might improve. The O-line is doing a good job today. Another note...some of the completions he has made were only because of great catches, but ultimately, he got the ball near the player. His accuracy needs to improve. I still do not see Carter being the QB of the future, but he has done better than usual today........so far.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:09 PM   #5
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Well I am firmly planted on the fence when it comes to Carter.

Old 10-06-2002, 02:11 PM   #6
grbh
Platinum Member

My dish just went out about 5 minutes ago. That sucks.

TOUCHDOWN!

Man I wish I could have watched that drive.

Old 10-06-2002, 02:13 PM   #7
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

That was a great drive. Quincy got it done...
Old 10-06-2002, 02:43 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Hate to beat a dead horse, but Bryant was WAAAAAAAAY wide open and Carter couldn't even throw it in the same zip code. He just can't hit the long ball. Period.

And Stoutmire damn near picked that last apss off and returned it for 6 points the other way. Quincy is losing his composure.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:44 PM   #9
grbh
Platinum Member

Yea, that was a horrible pass.

Horrible call to punt on 4th also.

Old 10-06-2002, 02:44 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Damn Carter. Missing that Bryant pass is likely to cost us the game. An average NFL QB has to make that pass.

Damn.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:45 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< Hate to beat a dead horse, but Bryant was WAAAAAAAAY wide open and Carter couldn't even throw it in the same zip code. He just can't hit the long ball. Period.

And Stoutmire damn near picked that last apss off and returned it for 6 points the other way. Quincy is losing his composure.
>>

I like hwen u down Carter like this because u never mention he is in his 12 or 13th game u just down him like he is a 10 year pro. Quincy had a bad drive but he played a nice game.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 02:46 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

If you want to be an NFL QB, you have to make that throw. FFM..you are just an apologist, but that's ok. I will not bash you for liking the guy....I just do not. He shows me very little.....very little.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:48 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

FFM- quit repeating the 12/13 game bullshit. It's been acknowledged by all of us. He still has to make plays. Period.

What the hell was Capo thinking on the punt?
Old 10-06-2002, 02:49 PM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Dont know why u would punt and put the pressure on ur defense but hey I have no clue on what the hell campo was coachin this game.

1996-2005
Old 10-06-2002, 02:50 PM   #15
grbh
Platinum Member

Before we get going on Carter, can someone tell me what the hell Campo was doing today.

Early in game Cowboys go for it on 4th and 2 don't get it result Giants get great field position

Fake Field goal failure

Don't go for it on 4th late.

What the hell!

Old 10-06-2002, 02:52 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Jimmy Johnson just called Quincy horrible. Interesting.

Got work to do...later guys....
Old 10-06-2002, 02:53 PM   #17
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< FFM- quit repeating the 12/13 game bullshit. It's been acknowledged by all of us. He still has to make plays. Period.

What the hell was Capo thinking on the punt?
>>

Ok im guessin because this is ur first time seein a yougn qb in his 13th game. Well I got the chance ot see Aikman play and he played worser then Quincy. Now thats jus an example im not saying Carter will be as good as Aikman or even close but u got no right to call me a apologist because I want to give the guy a chance rather than bash eveyrthing eh does. Ur a hater so im not hatin on u u can do ur thing. But i think its childish to point out all of Quincys mistakes. Even Terry Bradshaw gave Quincy his props.

1996-2005
Old 10-06-2002, 02:53 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

I think we can all agree...Campo screwed up. What a horrible call to not go for it.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:54 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

FFM- as usual...you suppose wrong. I've seen plenty of young QB's...the difference is that they show promise. Carter doesn't.

now I really am gone...gotta work....
Old 10-06-2002, 03:12 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< FFM- as usual...you suppose wrong. I've seen plenty of young QB's...the difference is that they show promise. Carter doesn't.

now I really am gone...gotta work....
>>

What do you mean Carter hasnt shown promise? He showd promise last season and this season. Admit u want a Troy Aikman or a STaubach but Quincy isnt that he is a young qb and is these past couple of weeks looks like he is maturing. Matter of fact I think Quincys stats look better than Collins.

1996-2005
Old 10-06-2002, 03:35 PM   #21
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Well, drbio, all of the TICKET guys have given Quincy A's on his performance, and at halftime Terry Bradshaw said Quincy had been impressive. Yes, it was bad that he overthrew Bryant, but it was a bomb dude. Every quarterback can make that throw? I doubt Troy would have made that throw because he wasn't too good at throwing the deep ball, but that doesn't mean he isn't a great qb. Quincy may have not done to well on that last drive, but he still had a pretty darn good game.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 04:02 PM   #22
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

This game was all Campos Fault(nobody else's). That was the worst job I ever saw a coach do.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 04:05 PM   #23
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Campo did a pretty bad job. He should have never punted on that last possesion.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 10-06-2002, 05:49 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

You can rag quincy all you want, but if you can't appreciate a qb with about an 82 (editted to fix the ranking that I miscalculated ). If he hits the 50 yard TD he comes up with a 94. Quincy didn't lose this game, the defense, special teams and coaching lost it. After quincy put us ahead with a td, the defense let the giants march downfiled on a 80 yard drive for the score. Tough D there.

Field goal missed, fake field goal stupid, 4th and 3 option with no option, special teams penalty after swinton gets about a 35-40 yard return. Coach deciding to kick with 2:00 minutes to go. Stupid....
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 06:03 PM   #25
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

Dude you are correct, QC played fine, hell every QB misses the long bomb regularly, to say he had to make that pass is BS DOC. Give the kid a freakin' break. He did not lose the game, Emmitt did not lose the game, Campo and the coaches lost the game!
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 06:23 PM   #26
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< Jimmy Johnson just called Quincy horrible. Interesting.

>>

Jimmy Johnson also thought Troy was horrible (that's why he brought in that hall of fame QB steve walsh ) and jimmy johnson also thought Emmitt Smith was overrated and that is why he wanted to draft some linebacker.

Two of the three guys who made the cowboys in the 90's he didn't think could get it done, like Darrel Johnston said, maybe someday he will admit that the players had something to do with winning super bowls, but he doubts it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 10-06-2002, 07:02 PM   #27
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

<<

<< Jimmy Johnson just called Quincy horrible. Interesting.

>>

Jimmy Johnson also thought Troy was horrible (that's why he brought in that hall of fame QB steve walsh ) and jimmy johnson also thought Emmitt Smith was overrated and that is why he wanted to draft some linebacker.

Two of the three guys who made the cowboys in the 90's he didn't think could get it done, like Darrel Johnston said, maybe someday he will admit that the players had something to do with winning super bowls, but he doubts it.
>>

you're correct. he wanted to draft james francis out of baylor (?) i think ahead of emmitt smith. fortunately the bungals went on to take him instead of smith.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 07:21 PM   #28
FINtastic
Diamond Member

james francis, what a stud.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 10-06-2002, 10:20 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

RANDONM THOUGHTS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER....

James Francis was a huge stud. The man was a beast on the field.
AEx- he was in fact from Baylor.

Look guys...I already said he played a decent game. I'm just not ready to annoint him as the saviour of this team like many of you are. And the fact is..I've been saying all along that he can't hit the long ball. He didn't do too much today to change my mind.

Pepper- I do fault him for not making that pass. Had he completed it..we win. It's his job to complete that pass and he failed. I expect him to make that pass. I demand that he makes that pass. It is my right as a fan. If he can't...find someone who can. That was poor effort.

Emmitt Smith was very good today and I hope some of you will credit the same offensive line that has been being bashed relentlessly in here. Just like...here it comes...I give Quincy some credit for a decent game.

Quincy is still missing the best reads. Campo says it, Coslet says it...blah blah blah. He makes a great number of dump off passes and that is great because it inflates his completion percentage and his QB rating. The yards after the catch are quite high which also inflates his numbers. Still, he makes those dumps with great consistency. But, until today, he ahsn't shown that he can hit those 8-15 yarders. Today he hit them and the running game ultimately benefitted from it. The Giant defense couldn't stick up 8 man fronts...they had to play the linebackers back to cover those routes...ergo...Emmitt made some nice runs.

I love beer.

What is up with the turf? I was paying a lot of attention on Quincy early and picked up on his stumbles, but damn...a lot of guys were tripping out there. Quincy definitely gets a pass on that issue. He tripped in the first quarter and missed a crucial first down. If Jerry Jones doesn't see that potentially affected the game than I need someone to volunteer to put their foot up his rear. That has to be fixed.

Galloway is a warrior.

Baylor's Kelvin Garmon made an enormous block on the Emmitt touchdown run. Greatness.

The defense was sporadic today. At times, they seemed a touch behind.

I love beer.

I think Whelan (sp?) has a nice career ahead of him.

The guys from the Ticket are hardly on the money when it comes to ranking players.

Campo should be fined for his effort today. Bad call on the punt. Bad call on a lot of things for him today.

Why did Coslet/Campo line Quincy up on the fourth down in the second quarter wiht no backs? What happened there? Quincy had no chance to do anything but get sacked. (No, I do not fault him after watching the play over---totally a coaching screw up)

That's all for now....I got a lot of work done today and my head hurts too much to think. When I think it makes my head hurt. I think I'll have a beer. Ouch.

Old 10-07-2002, 01:02 AM   #30
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<<

<< Hate to beat a dead horse, but Bryant was WAAAAAAAAY wide open and Carter couldn't even throw it in the same zip code. He just can't hit the long ball. Period.

>>

I like hwen u down Carter like this because u never mention he is in his 12 or 13th game u just down him like he is a 10 year pro. Quincy had a bad drive but he played a nice game.
>>

I blame Crater for the loss. When there is just 2 minutes left in the game and the offense is in a position to overcome a game full of inept play calling, Crater DID NOT MAKE THE PLAY!

The offensive line gave him the time, the rookie wideout did the impossible and got open deep, but the qb DID NOT MAKE THE PLAY. 10 other guys on the field made the game winning play but Crater failed.

After watching the game today, I decided who Crater's passes remind me of. They look like something that Billy Kilmer (old Washington qb) would throw. The ball even &quot;wags&quot; like Kilmer's. Uncanny and sad.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:34 AM   #31
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

yes mffl, lets absolve the defense for any blame for allowing the pathetic giants offense to march up and down the field.

lets absolve the defense who knew the giants had no running game to pass the hell out of the ball, and blitz 5 people and then subsequently still managed to get scored upon when the ball is thrown into double coverage.

lets forget the fact that when the cowboys needed a stop the most, the defense allowed tiki freaking barber to get 7 yards on a run on 1st down effectively killing their chance to make any comeback.

lets forget the fact jeremy shockey didnt even play, and we still lost.

let's also forget the fact campo decides to go for a fake field goal on a 35 yard attempt. 35 YARDS. or how about the empty backfield QB sneak on 4th and 2 which got carter absolutely murdered.

let's allow kerry collins to throw 3 td passes in one game when he had only 1 all season.

yes, lets pin all the blame on carter.

the bottom line is carter shouldnt have even been in a position where he needed to lead the cowboys to a last minute victory, they should have wrapped up the game when it was 17-14.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 05:20 PM   #32
Drbio
Banned

Carter blames himself in this mornings paper. I like that.

He missed a pass he &quot;should have made&quot;. That was my point exactly earlier. Well, that and he stinks. But props to him for standing up and taking the media beating. That isn't easy.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:25 PM   #33
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

That game was the worst coached game ever. Campo seems to make the wrong decision just about everytime.

The D plays alright, then they give up a big play. The secondary seems to fall apart every game, and it's not always the corners. Woody is great, but he seems to have trouble playing the ball. That was at least the second time he was in great position, but played the ball horrible. Resulting in a TD. At least Ross seems to be doing alright, I just wish they would not always give such large cushions.

Carter played good, then blew it at the end. That throw was just off. aT least knowing his work ethic, he'll probably throw 900 deep balls in practice this week. AND I noticed he isn't making any excuses for the game. He is saying I Lost the game, I have to make that throw. That may be the best thing that comes from it. He shows the ability to take the responsibilty for the good and the bad.

AND...ONE throw doesn't ruin the fact that he has looked better every game. Lets hope that continues.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:58 PM   #34
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

One thing about the 4th and 9. they were on their own 41 right? Campo punted thinkin they would stop them and get the ball back. If they would have went for it and didn't get, then NY would have got the ball at the Dallas 41 at best(for them). If they get it there, Dallas still has to stop them from getting a first. So say we actually stopped them, NY would be on the 32 at best(for them). If they actually made a FG (49 yarder)it would have still been a 7 point game. Dallas would get the ball back with the same amount of time as Campo thought they would to start, and Swinton would still have a chance to get the ball on a return. Where is the advantage in punting?????????
Old 10-07-2002, 06:13 PM   #35
Just211
Platinum Member

MY bad, they were on the NY 49, so it makes any less sense to punt
Old 10-07-2002, 06:28 PM   #36
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Do you really have confidence in the Cowboys completing a fourth and 9? Quincy would probably throw a dump to Robert Thomas and then pump his fists in the air as he gets tackled for a two yard gain.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:35 PM   #37
Just211
Platinum Member

the point is, even they don't get, there was no point to punt it. Why not take a chance.

Also I have just as much confidence in the O getting it as the D stopping them. The d tends to give up every big play or important play.
there may not be confidence in the O, but this could have helped them develop some.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:17 PM   #38
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Well a dump to Robert Thomas isnt any more stupid then a punt when u dont have enough time to score a touchdown even if u do stop them and plus the defense were playin horrible at the time anyway. By the way why do u think Quincy would dump a 2 yard pass to Robert Thomas when Quincy hasnt done that on fourth this season?

1996-2005
Old 10-07-2002, 11:21 PM   #39
Drbio
Banned

probably since 80%+ of Quincy's throws this year are within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:57 AM   #40
dude1394
Guru

<< probably since 80%+ of Quincy's throws this year are within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. >>

Quincy Carter - Yards/Attempt - 6.2 (This year)
Drew Bledsoe - Yards/Attempt - 6.6 (Career)

So what is your point again???