Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-31-2017, 09:43 PM   #81
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk41legend View Post
Mavs now with the longest active winning streak in the NBA.
Start planning the parade
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2017, 10:23 PM   #82
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@EarlKSneed: Rick Carlisle (tongue in cheek): “The key to the game was (Josh) McRoberts dressed.” #DALatOKC

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #83
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@MavsHighlights: Caption THIS!
#DALatOKC #MFFL

Old 12-31-2017, 11:15 PM   #84
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone who is actually watching the whole game, I'm telling you, DSJ's decisiveness is the difference maker. That doesn't mean he is making good decisions all the time, but I'd rather him be decisive even in a bad decision versus being indecisive. So he'll dribble into double teams, take bad shots, not drive when he should etc etc...but he is confident in doing all of that now the last three games. I'd much rather him confidently make a mistake than not be sure what to do. Elite talents HAVE to do that to grow when they're young.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:26 PM   #85
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
For anyone who is actually watching the whole game, I'm telling you, DSJ's decisiveness is the difference maker. That doesn't mean he is making good decisions all the time, but I'd rather him be decisive even in a bad decision versus being indecisive. So he'll dribble into double teams, take bad shots, not drive when he should etc etc...but he is confident in doing all of that now the last three games. I'd much rather him confidently make a mistake than not be sure what to do. Elite talents HAVE to do that to grow when they're young.
Agreed. He’s feeling it out. When to take someone off the dribble. And some of his double teams he almost has a clean look but hasn’t fully recognized yet. He’s definitely finding out what’s comfortable for him in the paint. Seemed like he attacked a lot tonight even if they don’t always net a fg or assist.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:02 AM   #86
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Agreed. He’s feeling it out. When to take someone off the dribble. And some of his double teams he almost has a clean look but hasn’t fully recognized yet. He’s definitely finding out what’s comfortable for him in the paint. Seemed like he attacked a lot tonight even if they don’t always net a fg or assist.

I want to see him use his handle to leave guys on skates and then blow right passed them the way Kyrie does. Dennis has the ability to do it but you can tell he’s unsure of himself at this point. Once he gets 2-3 years in the league I hope to see him doing things similar to what Kyrie is doing.
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:06 AM   #87
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
I want to see him use his handle to leave guys on skates and then blow right passed them the way Kyrie does. Dennis has the ability to do it but you can tell he’s unsure of himself at this point. Once he gets 2-3 years in the league I hope to see him doing things similar to what Kyrie is doing.
Kyrie is probably a top 5 ballhandler of all time. I love DSJ and his willingness to get better, but he's got a long way to go to get on Kyrie's level.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:42 AM   #88
Underdog

Quote:
@BallinWithBryan: Dennis Smith Jr. on his bank shot: “I didn’t call glass. I called game.”

Last edited by Underdog; 01-01-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #89
Underdog

@NickVanExit: The Dallas Mavericks have the longest win streak in the NBA.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #90
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Two days off and then Warriors come to town with a healthy Steph
Old 01-01-2018, 01:35 PM   #91
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

More Smith Jr things I noticed in this game...

-He plays better when worn out a bit...especially near the end of games.

-Has the clutch gene

-Defended well against Westbrook that last shot for the win.

Some negatives...

-Gets trapped too easily on the wings.

-Can drive more and seems more comfortable doing it worn down a bit which is strange

-Looks overwhelmed both mentally and physically at times, but this is becoming less of an issue.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-01-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #92
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

#DALatOKC #MFFL

Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #93
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

Quote:
#DALatOKC #MFFL

ALLLLL RIGHTY THEN.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:57 PM   #94
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Does anyone think Smith is a bad defender? See that a lot around other forums (like not surprisingly the Knicks), but I don't really see it. His shorter wingspan is the main issue and he doesn't read picks well right now, but I don't see a huge effort issue. Thoughts?

Old 01-01-2018, 10:24 PM   #95
Underdog

Quote:
Does anyone think Smith is a bad defender? See that a lot around other forums (like not surprisingly the Knicks), but I don't really see it. His shorter wingspan is the main issue and he doesn't read picks well right now, but I don't see a huge effort issue. Thoughts?
Dude is great at getting around screens and mucking up passing lanes... For a guy not known for his defense, he's actually quite solid. Probably Carlisle's doing, I fully expect him to improve even more as time goes on.

Knicks fans like to shit on him at every opportunity so they can feel better about passing on him. It's pathetic.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 AM   #96
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

DSJ gives effort on D and that's exactly what you want to see at this point. He's getting outsmarted or overpowered frequently, but as long as he tries he'll only get better.

That's also what I like about Maxi. In the last games he got dunked on a lot, but part of the "issue" is that he actually challenges the big fellas at the rim. You gotta have heart and balls to do that.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #97
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Smith gives good effort, but yeah, his team defense can be lacking. It’s half the reason why Rick had him on such a short leash. He has the athleticism to be great and he wants to improve, but he’s still very raw
Old 01-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #98
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dude is great at getting around screens and mucking up passing lanes... For a guy not known for his defense, he's actually quite solid. Probably Carlisle's doing, I fully expect him to improve even more as time goes on.

Knicks fans like to shit on him at every opportunity so they can feel better about passing on him. It's pathetic.
I have watched 12-15 games each, both Mavericks and Knicks.

I think both Mavericks and Knicks should feel good about the way things turned out. Smith is better in Dallas than he'd be in NYC, and Ntilikina is a better fit for where the Knicks are right now, and what they need.

Ntilikina is getting better game by game. Good defender using natural size, reach and speed to defend; looking more comfortable with his release, learning to run the offense, learning to stay under control. With Porzingis, Knicks need a facilitator at PG, not an initiator.

Apart from the injuries, and apart from Carlisle possibly keeping him on a short chain, Smith should be enjoying Dallas right now. No real pressure, no expectation to win, he can just go out and play on raw athleticism. Just show what you can do, learn from mistakes, get some experience. And that's what he appears to be doing. I have wondered whether it was even appropriate to give him a mid-season 'grade', given his youth and the situation in Dallas.

He has a couple of limitations: one being height (no way he's 6-3, maybe scrapes 6-1) and that's not going to change. Also wonder if he may be susceptible to injury, though if develops a left-handed shot, and learns to stop trying to dunk on every drive to the basket, this can be mitigated somewhat.

Without the least hint of sour grapes, I'm nowhere near sold on Smith yet. I think he's been frustrating to watch, particularly with the over-dribbling and some poor shooting and shot-selection. Nor am I as sold on his vision (factor of height?), or his playmaking ability as a lot of voices here seem to be. The triple-double against Westbrook and the Thunder were nice, and can't really complain about the banked-3 for the win. But will be looking to see if this was an anomaly, or if he can produce consistently near this level, and if he registers consistently on the Horry-meter when the opportunity presents.

He certainly has time and opportunity to learn though, but for me, he's just not the natural he's made out to be. If he's the face of the Mavericks once Dirk leaves, my long-held interest in the Mavericks will have a short life.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #99
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
Without the least hint of sour grapes, I'm nowhere near sold on Smith yet. I think he's been frustrating to watch, particularly with the over-dribbling and some poor shooting and shot-selection. Nor am I as sold on his vision (factor of height?), or his playmaking ability as a lot of voices here seem to be. The triple-double against Westbrook and the Thunder were nice, and can't really complain about the banked-3 for the win. But will be looking to see if this was an anomaly, or if he can produce consistently near this level, and if he registers consistently on the Horry-meter when the opportunity presents.

He certainly has time and opportunity to learn though, but for me, he's just not the natural he's made out to be. If he's the face of the Mavericks once Dirk leaves, my long-held interest in the Mavericks will have a short life.
I respectfully disagree. I think Smith has already shown more natural ability than any player the Mavs have drafted since Dirk. I think a lot of the issues you bring up can be chalked up to a young guy used to being the focal point learning to playing within himself and within an offense.

That being said, I don't know how you can watch these games and say Smith wasn't made to play point in the league. I've watched 75-80% of Smith's floor time in the NBA live and am constantly surprised by how organically he runs the offense on-ball and gets guys open looks. He relentlessly attacks (top-20 in the league in drives per game) and has displayed the ability to pass out, pull up, and finish. He changes our whole offensive dynamic, evidenced by the fact that we're 1 and 7 without him, and 12 - 18 with him.

Last edited by tap2390; 01-02-2018 at 09:11 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote