Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I can't get behind comparing their respective numbers right now. OPJ's usage in Washington is much lower for one, and two, I think he would thrive in a role next to guys that would distribute the ball to him more. Wall is the main culprit as I'd love to see what Beal could do with Doncic, but that ain't happening.

Instead, think of OPJ in a larger Doug McDermott role. I have no doubt his 3P% would come back and his game would fit like a glove here.

That contract is the biggest detractor, and one I'd leave up to the Mavs FO to decide on. Tough call for sure as I can see the upgrade.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Instead, think of OPJ in a larger Doug McDermott role. I have no doubt his 3P% would come back and his game would fit like a glove here.
Max contract this year and 2 more for a better Doug McDermott? That's a horrible selling point. If he was even making close to Wes money, then it's much closer at least. But you are talking about giving up free agency for the next two years if we get him and keep DJ. Is this a championship contending team in 2-4 years?

DJ
Player X
OPJ
Luka
DSJ
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
Max contract this year and 2 more for a better Doug McDermott? That's a horrible selling point. If he was even making close to Wes money, then it's much closer at least. But you are talking about giving up free agency for the next two years if we get him and keep DJ. Is this a championship contending team in 2-4 years?

DJ
Player X
OPJ
Luka
DSJ
How do you term larger = better? May be a should have a said a much, much, much better McDermott? My point was he would fit this team much better than iso Barnes and I see the upside versus comparing his number on a sputtering Wizards team to Barnes on this team.

Also, for the record, again, the contract is the hold up for me, though I think he would be worth closer to it's value here than in Washington.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post

DJ
Player X
OPJ
Luka
DSJ
DJ isn't getting more than 14 a year at 31

DJ (14)/ Powell (10.3)
???/???/???
Porter or Barnes(25.5)/ ???/???
Luka (7.7)
DSJ (4.5)/Brunson (1.4)
-----------------------------------
63.4 mill.
That gives us 45.6 mill in cap space with Jordan re-signed and the cap changes very little with Porter or Barnes. That's enough for a max money guy at one of the forward spots.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-04-2019 at 04:43 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

You can overpay to keep the unit together to make a run. You can't overpay to bring the pieces in because it limits what you can add because of cap rules.

OPJ is not worth Jokic and Greek freak money. He's the 17th highest paid player this year and 22nd highest next year. Is he going to have top 20 impact on this team? Not even close. If he was here we'd talk about him the same way we do Barnes and Wes, as nice players but overpaid for what they bring.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
You can overpay to keep the unit together to make a run. You can't overpay to bring the pieces in because it limits what you can add because of cap rules.

OPJ is not worth Jokic and Greek freak money. He's the 17th highest paid player this year and 22nd highest next year. Is he going to have top 20 impact on this team? Not even close. If he was here we'd talk about him the same way we do Barnes and Wes, as nice players but overpaid for what they bring.
And yet Porter earns the same as Barnes. Do you think Barnes produces at the Jokis/Atetomoumpo level? That's who we'd be trading to get Porter. Obviously the money is inflated, but both guys are overpaid.

People are pretending that Barnes is going to opt out of his 25mill this summer like it's a sure deal, but I'd wager that he opts in, meaning we're paying Barnes roughly a quarter of our cap next year. Porter is just one more year of that and only costs us 2.2mill in cap this summer. For a 3/D guy who can actually rebound, that is essential-- even more so if Jordan leaves this summer. People forget how terrible we were rebounding with Barnes and no Jordan. That's not even to mention Barnes' defense, which was terrible. Right now only Dirk is a worse defensive forward.

If we want to roll with Doncic as our star, we have to consider a complementary supporting cast of guys who can defend and rebound. Barnes can't do either while Barnes' biggest skillset is in ISOs with a poor ability to pass out of it. He's developing more into a stationary 3pt shooter, which is better for Doncic, but still-- he's a guy who can hit the three but can't defend or rebound. That's not the best piece to put next to Doncic.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-04-2019 at 12:20 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Screw Barnes AND Porter -- they're both overpaid for what they produce. So it's not Barnes vs. Porter, it's Barnes/Porter vs anyone else in the league you can give that money to... I'll take Barnes since one year less on his contract makes him the objectively better option. The sooner we move on from surrounding Doncic with overpriced guys who don't fit his game, the better.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-04-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Screw Barnes AND Porter -- they're both overpaid for what they produce. So it's not Barnes vs. Porter, it's Barnes/Porter vs anyone else in the league you can give that money to... I'll take Barnes since one year less on his contract makes him the objectively better option. The sooner we move on from surrounding Doncic with overpriced guys who don't fit his game, the better.
This. I wasn't trying to say Barnes is demonstrably better than Porter. I still think he's better though but that isn't the issue. The issue is both are very much overpaid. I don't want to pay either remotely that much so give me the option that gets us out of that contract the fastest.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
People are pretending that Barnes is going to opt out of his 25mill this summer like it's a sure deal, but I'd wager that he opts in,
No one is pretending its a sure thing, but there is a really good chance. Of course he wont get another 25m/year deal but for him it could be the best option to secure another 4/80 deal.

Right now he is our 2nd go to guy with a high usage rate. He is one good FA (Randle etc) and an improved DSJ away from being a shared 3rd/4th fiddle in 19-20. Where he wont get the same amount touches, shots etc.His numbers would drop. Maybe add a shooting slump from outside etc. And if the teams spend again like crap next summer, the 2020 FA money could dry up (like it happened in 2017).

Next summer he can still sell him as a 20PPG wing with solid defense and good to great outside shooting. Someone missing out on the Tier A FA and desperately wanting to sign someone (like the Mavs in 2016) could easily throw 4/80 at him.

Or let him stay, become a 3rd/4th fiddle, dried up 2020 FA money....

Last edited by sefant77; 01-04-2019 at 01:35 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote