Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold
Question Car trouble

OK so i was driving yesterday in the harsh weather. I wasn't able to see the road clearly so i accidentally went into a deepish puddle. Then, my car just shut completely off. I was able to turn it back on and continue driving. But today i noticed a clicking sound coming from the engine i think. Im not sure where its coming from. Any ideas on how to fix it or whats the problem????
Old 05-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid you will need to be a little more specific.

But at first blush, I doubt that the "clicking sound" has much to do with the deep water.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Actually i think i does because i took the intake system out and it was soaked with water. I'm letting in dry right now and the clicking sounds coming from the engine seem to be lighter now. I'm going to give it time to dry and if it doesn't work i'll just take it to a mechanic.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

drown out~could be bad problem
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness View Post
Actually i think i does because i took the intake system out and it was soaked with water. I'm letting in dry right now and the clicking sounds coming from the engine seem to be lighter now. I'm going to give it time to dry and if it doesn't work i'll just take it to a mechanic.
You took the "intake system" out? What do you mean by that?
Old 05-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

You know where the car air filter is located. I took that out. I'm letting it dry a bit.

Last edited by Dirkgreatness; 05-03-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Dirkgreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

The air filter has jack shit to do with the way your car runs.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Not according to my girlfriends bro-in-law which is a mechanic btw.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Btw the filter IS in the intake system so im not saying the filter just got wet. The intake system itself got water in it. And that basically how the car engine breathes, so i'm thinking it has a lot to do with how the car runs.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

If your filter is a little bit wet, that still means jack shit when it comes to a clicking sound.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

It wasn't a bit wet it was soaked. There was a lot of water in the air box. The puddle of water was like a foot deep. But i don't know. Maybe its some of the wiring thats wet. This is frustrating.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #12
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Change all of your fluids, oil, antifreeze, transmission, and rear end fluid. Trust me on this. If water got into your engine through your air filter, you might have bigger issues, but this might help your situation. Nothing sucks worse than water in your engine or your transmission, not unless of course you was already in the process of replacing them.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

People shouldn't try to fix things on their own - its un-american.

j/k

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #14
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
People shouldn't try to fix things on their own - its un-american.

j/k
lol. Well in this case i think I'm going to have to get someone to fix it for me.

I have no clue what the problem is. All the liquids like oil, coolant, etc seem to be fine. If i were to have to guess i think water got in through the air filter to the fuel injection system.

Last edited by Dirkgreatness; 05-03-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

UPDATE (which im sure no one cares):

Alright, so we found out a piston rod had broken. I just had the whole engine be rebuild (lots of money). But, the thing is the people doing the rebuilding have a hard to finding parts for it, so its been in the shop for 2 months!!!! So yeah, pretty much i've been living on getting rides to work and school. GAY!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #16
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Sell your car, buy a motorcycle.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #17
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

broken piston rod?? That was probably less of a click than a clack. And you shoulda called those guys. THeyr'e funny.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I am so ignorant about cars and engines and whatnot. I like to tell myself that my whole generation is like that, but I suspect it's just me.

Maybe you should have just waited. Cash for clunkers will likely give way to cash for engines. Then food, HDTV's, tennis shoes, reach arounds, etc. You know you're entitled to all of those things.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #19
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Flaco, I think you are right about your entire generation. You watch too much tv. That and cars are a lot more complicated than they were a couple decades ago. You gotta hook most cars up to a computer these days just to do basic maintenance. And you would know about computers if you didn't spend all your time playing video games. (oh, wait - is this the rant thread?)
Old 08-10-2009, 01:23 AM   #20
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Video games are awesome. Car parts are not awesome.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #21
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
Flaco, I think you are right about your entire generation. You watch too much tv. That and cars are a lot more complicated than they were a couple decades ago. You gotta hook most cars up to a computer these days just to do basic maintenance. And you would know about computers if you didn't spend all your time playing video games. (oh, wait - is this the rant thread?)
Damn. I knew my degree in Computer Science is worthless

Seriously though, that's what my father tells me. Cars are too complicated now, and you have to plug them into a computer to do anything.

Oh well. I just feel so helpless every now and then when something goes wrong with a car, and a I almost jokingly open the hood and just sort of stare at the engine and my eyes glaze over and sort of roll back in my head. Of course, that's all after I high five someone because I figured how to get the hood open! Yeah!!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
You raise a good point, sir.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #23
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

All my car knowledge comes from Chilton's Repair Manuals. But I think the car has to be a few years old before they will publish a manual on it.

I used the manual to replace the ignition switch to my old 1988 Acura Integra several years ago. It took 3 hours, but felt like one of my bigger accomplishments in life. Then the front driver's side tire fell off while I was on I-35. I'm pretty sure the two were unrelated though.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #24
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Damn. I knew my degree in Computer Science is worthless
sorry, flac. Getting to the end of 4 different Final Fantasy games is not a degree.

Quote:
Oh well. I just feel so helpless every now and then when something goes wrong with a car, and a I almost jokingly open the hood and just sort of stare at the engine and my eyes glaze over and sort of roll back in my head. Of course, that's all after I high five someone because I figured how to get the hood open! Yeah!!
me too. It's not just the technology, though. People live in cities now, and yards are so small that the neighbors notice when old oil gets dumped in their back yard. And HOAs complain if you keep a car up on blocks in your own front lawn for more than a few weeks. So we all use jiffy-lubes.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #25
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

If you're looking for an answer as to what happened it's this: Water can't be compressed. If you drive through deep enough water it will enter your intake and eventually travel past the valves into the cylinder, where the piston will rise in an attempt to compress it before the usual air/fuel mixture is ignited. If water gets in there and can't be compressed you will have catastrophic mechanical failure, such as bending a rod or a couple (few?) valves.

Moral of the story? Car ≠ Boat. Never drive through deep water at all unless you're fully aware that you're rolling the dice on spending a hell of a lot of money for no reason other than silliness.
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #26
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dang this car has been a hassle...

Ok well they finished all the engine work now. But i noticed some noise coming from the timing belt and its like squealing or something. Its very annoying. Anyways i took it to the mechanic (same one that rebuilt my engine) and he said it was normal because he had put a new timing belt in and it needs to settle in or something. I don't know why but i get the feeling that new timing belts don't sound like that.....
Old 10-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #27
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
I disagree. But its close. I do love my video games.

Last edited by Dirkgreatness; 10-14-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #28
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Piston rod and clicking ? Ummmm...OK... I first though about an electrical problem.

Breaking piston rods and driving into the water ??? This i´d call coincidence.

Tags
car ≠ boat