Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-10-2005, 11:47 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Artest to Pacers: Trade me

10:12 PM December 10, 2005
Exclusive interview
Artest to Pacers: Trade me
By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com

Injured forward Ron Artest wants to return to the court, but not to the Indiana Pacers.

In a 20-minute interview Saturday, Artest for the first time publicly said he wants to be traded. He calmly described the issues he has with his role on the team, his head coach and his past, and said the team would be better off without him.

"I still think my past haunts me here," Artest said. "I think somewhere else I'm starting fresh. I'm coming in with baggage but people already know about it and how I'm going to be. Either they're going to be for me or they're not going to trade for me. Here I think my past haunts me.

"I think they will be a better team without me."

Coach Rick Carlisle called his forward "one of the elite talents in the league."

"You never want to lose someone like that," Carlisle said Saturday.

The Pacers lost Artest for 73 games after the Nov. 19 brawl last season. They stuck with him even though he said his suspension essentially ruined their season. Now the Pacers might be forced to trade him in order to salvage an already trying season.

"I think I cause a lot of problems here," said Artest, who has missed the past two games with a wrist injury. "If the trade rumors, if there is any truth -- maybe it won't be a bad thing. They probably could win more games without me."

Team President Larry Bird was scouting in Europe and could not be reached for comment. Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh was surprised by Artest's request and said the franchise would decide the next step.

"I've never heard him say anything before," said Walsh, who acquired Artest in a trade in 2002. "He hasn't talked to me, and I see him every day."

Walsh called this latest development a distraction and chided Artest's handling of the situation.

"He can always come up and talk to me or Larry Bird," Walsh said. "From here on out, I expect Ronnie to be a professional. . . . (This) isn't the best way to get a trade done."
Until Saturday, Artest's season had been relatively stress-free. He remains one of the team's hardest workers. He hasn't irritated game officials and has reached out more to teammates off the court.

It's on the court that he's had problems fitting in with Carlisle's system.

Artest is second on the team in shot attempts and scoring at 19.4 points, but he thinks his style disrupts the offense.

"I'm so demanding of the ball. It's not my fault," he said. "Every time somebody is on me it's a mismatch. It messes up the offense. I like Coach (Carlisle) as a person, but I don't like playing for Coach. I like my team, though."

The Pacers run a structured offense in which Carlisle calls out most plays. That frustrates Artest, who has complained about the system in the past. Artest also took issue with practices. He thinks they're too soft.

"Don't get it twisted. He's a very good coach," Artest said. "He knows what he's doing. I personally don't like playing for him. I would not want to see him get fired for me after all the immaturity I've been through with this organization."

Getting offers for Artest won't be difficult -- Artest is a former All-Star and Defensive Player of the Year. But getting equal value in return could be. Artest makes $6.5 million this season, paltry by All-Star standards. Because of the salary cap, NBA trades are as much about matching salaries as swapping talent. Most players of Artest's ability make much more money, meaning the Pacers won't get a player of his caliber unless they include other Pacers in the deal.

What teams interest Artest?

His hometown New York Knicks.

"If I go to the West Coast, I would come back to New York after my contract is up," Artest said. "I would go to Cleveland. I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind LeBron James. There's a lot of players I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind. If it was a perfect world, I would be going to New York."

Artest seeks a system in which he can score more, which would lead to a bigger contract when his expires in 2008. He has a player option for $8.5 million for the 2008-09 season.
"Here I don't think I'm going to have a chance to maximize my opportunity for my potential," he said. "When I first got here, all I wanted to do was play defense. I never really cared about offense, but what I see is players like Kobe (Bryant), Tracy (McGrady), (Gilbert) Arenas and Jermaine (O'Neal) getting the opportunity to maximize their potential on the court and to get paid. I'm out of my character a little bit here.

"I don't think I'm going to maximize my opportunity just playing defense. I have to show I'm one of the premier players on offense on the wing. So when it's that time, there's no question what type of player I am."

Artest said he will take a few more days to decide when he is ready to return from his wrist injury.

But the question is: Will he be a Pacer when he returns?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

"If I go to the West Coast, I would come back to New York after my contract is up,"

This quote makes me not want him.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:00 AM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

last year made me not want him,

saying that he will ditch any western team after his contract is up makes him virtually untradable to the Western Conference. I don't know if he's just publicly whining to get his way with the Pacers or if he's trying to get traded, but he's making it really tough for his team. At this point Artest's trade value is extremely low, and he hurts the Pacers even more by limiting the number of teams that they can trade him to, which limits what they can get back.

And I guess I havent said this in a while so I will here: why is this in the Mavs forum rather than the NBA or trade forum?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-11-2005 at 12:08 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
And I guess I havent said this in a while so I will here: why is this in the Mavs forum rather than the NBA or trade forum?
Sorry, I arrived late to the board and I'm still trying to figure some things out.

Say no to Artest.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:21 AM   #5
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Artest' issue is that he wants to get paid and he feels he cannot get a very lucrative contract just playing defense for Indiana. If we could bring him here I really think he would be happy in the system playing for Avery. He would become our second best scoring threat behind Dirk and our best defender playing beside Howard.

Right now we have a lot to offer Indiana and not many teams would be willing to take a chance on him. Cuban is a risk taker...the bigger the risk, the bigger the reward.

With that being said; I am all about making a trade for him that does not include Dirk or Howard...everyone else is expendable. A plausible trade scenario would be Daniels, Terry, and Damp for Artest, Croshere, and Pollard.

Let's get him here and win a championship

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

I seriously doubt Indiana wants Terry. He doesn't seem to be the type of defensive player that Carlisle likes and they already have 4 PGs on the team.
I think Bird really likes Croshere. His big contract came after the way he played for Larry Legend in the playoffs so I doubt they would want to send him plus with KVH here Croshere would be a duplicate talent wise and too much tied up in the PF position.
Pollard is a complete spare.
If we could package Stack/KVH for Artest/? or Stack and draft picks straight up since the salaries are reasonably close then maybe.
That would move Daniels back to the bench and Josh or Artest to the SG spot.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:19 AM   #7
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

man, he's wacky dude, no doubt. I just can't make up my mind if I would want him here or not.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:21 AM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Too much risk, not that much of an upgrade over what they already have in Howard. Plus Artest isn't looking to do what the Mavericks would most need from him. Artest is going to maximize his talent playing second fiddle to Dirk? Hardly.

He doesn't like playing for Carlisle, but he'd like playing for Brown? Hardly.

Artest's issues are: 1) cognitive disability; and 2) mental illness. Would be curious to know exactly what medicines he's supposed to be taking.

Those same issues will end up destroying whatever team he winds up on.

It's a shame that teams like the Pacers can't sue a player like Artest for damaging his trade value by making statements like this.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 12-11-2005 at 08:22 AM.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:12 AM   #9
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Bob Kravitz / The Indianapolis Star

Tick-tock: Time's up for Artest

Ron Artest can't come back now, not after this, not after saying he wants to get away from coach Rick Carlisle and go someplace where he can get bigger numbers and a fresh start.

He must be traded.

Now.

Artest, an incorrigible bum who should have been set free long ago, should not be allowed to spend another night soiling the uniform of the Indiana Pacers.

If he wants out -- and he made that abundantly clear when he spoke with The Star's Mike Wells -- then the Pacers must accommodate him, and accommodate him immediately.

Before he destroys a second straight season.

Before he further poisons what has often been a toxic locker room.

If Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh don't do something dramatic and immediate, they are completely asleep at the wheel -- something they've long been guilty of when it involves Teflon Ron.

If Artest is allowed back in that locker room, what would management be telling Carlisle? That it backs Artest? That Artest can say or do just about anything and be forgiven? If Artest is still here one week from now, Carlisle needs to give management an ultimatum:

It's him or me.

And it needs to be Carlisle.

The Pacers head coach rubs some people the wrong way -- former and current players have chafed under his micromanaging, run-the-play style -- but he wins every place he coaches and he wins under all kinds of circumstances. When Artest was gone last season, running a daddy day care and promoting his CD, Carlisle was doing one of the most remarkable coaching jobs in recent memory, taking the shell of a team to the second round of the playoffs.

If Artest is allowed to return, what would that say to the other players in the locker room? The ones who presumably care more about winning a title than getting their statistics? The ones who spent all last season fighting through suspensions and injuries and playing some of the most inspiring, unselfish basketball this team has played in years?

If it wasn't obvious to Pacers' management long ago, it should be now: The guy is a hopeless case. He's a wonderful basketball player who possesses great passion for the game, but, ultimately, he is a team-killer, a selfish lout who says one thing and does another.

Anybody remember how, during the whole contrived Ron Across America Tour, he made a point of committing himself to the team, insisting he would happily sacrifice his numbers for the greater good?

That lasted, what, three months?

Now, he's saying he wants to play the role of Kobe, or LeBron, or maybe Gilbert Arenas, "to maximize my opportunity of my potential."

The "Real Ron,'' indeed.

Anybody remember how, during that same tour, he made a point of thanking the Pacers for all their patience and understanding, and how, in return, he owed them nothing less than a championship?

Now he's saying (and please don't snicker as you read this one), "I don't think everybody is treated the same way around here,'' and "I think they will be a better team without me."

After all this organization has done for him -- supported (enabled) him, counseled him, even lied for him -- this was his way of showing gratitude.

Thanks, Ron.

And good riddance.

If ever there was a time to pull the trigger on an Artest-for-Peja Stojakovic deal, this is it. The question, though, is whether the Sacramento Kings are now willing to make it happen. In the past, they've been reticent to part with the popular Stojakovic, but the Kings are struggling and look like a team in desperate need of a change.

Somehow, some way, Bird and Walsh have to make a deal, or do whatever it takes to get Artest out of here. Even if they can't get equal value for him -- and if it's not a deal for Stojakovic, it's unlikely they'll get good value -- it doesn't matter. Get a bent rim. And a slug to be named later. Anything. Cut the franchise's losses.

In the end, Artest didn't make this mess, even if he's the one with dirt on his hands. It's like the Chris Rock routine when the comic says the tiger who attacked Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy didn't go crazy.

"That tiger went tiger," Rock said.

In this case, Artest went Artest.

The Pacers knew what they were getting when they dealt for him. And they've been front-row spectators to the running psychodrama ever since. So how could they have failed to see that it would eventually come to this? They knew -- knew -- he was a ticking time bomb and would eventually take the entire franchise with him. But still, three of the best basketball men in the league -- Bird, Walsh and Carlisle -- sat by idly and let it happen. They believed their own fiction because they wanted to believe it, because when Artest is right, he's a great player and an even greater bargain.

Now they are going to pay again for placing their faith in him, forced to deal him at a time when it will be next-to-impossible to get any kind of value for him.

The Pacers cannot complain, though. They lost that right a long time ago. This is their mess, and now, it's time to clean it up.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:01 AM   #10
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

It is sad that Ron Artest the person isn't nearly as good as Ron Artest the player. I've always been pro-Artest if it meant that the Mavercisks were going to acquire an allstar without giving that much up, but lately Artest has made me lost all faith in him. I viewed him as somewhat similar to a T.O., and thus I really wanted the Mavericks to go after the guy. Now, there are just too many questions surrounding the nutcase that you would be taking risks that are just plain unnecessary to your team. Ron Artest, please just quit basketball and flop on your rap album so we will never hear anything about you ever again.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:40 AM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

No..He's a nut.

And I certainly wouldn't give up jason/marquis for him. The pacers won't get anywhere near his worth on the market. At some point in time they will have a firesale with him. If I were they, I'd go straight for projects and draft picks. O'Neal is the core of that team. They would be better off without artest. Against the mavs you could tell that there is something awry with them mentally.

I'm sure the coach is history unless artest goes soon.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 12-11-2005 at 10:43 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:45 AM   #12
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Edit. Never Mind.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 12-11-2005 at 10:47 AM.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #13
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Artest and Pollard for Marquis and Terry works. I say pull the trigger and enjoy a player with Defensive Player of the Year capabilities along with the ability to take the pressure off of Dirk offensively.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 12-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

ugh. NO!!
Old 12-11-2005, 02:17 PM   #15
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief pollard can't even get off the bench...Artest is barely ranked above Josh for goodness sakes.. Jet/Marquis for Artest? Hopefully someone would be fired for that move.

I wouldn't give up Marquis straight up for the idiot.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 12-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Good grief pollard can't even get off the bench...Artest is barely ranked above Josh for goodness sakes.. Jet/Marquis for Artest? Hopefully someone would be fired for that move.

I wouldn't give up Marquis straight up for the idiot.
While I agree that this would be a bad trade based on Artest's history, I think you'd be hard pressed to find many fans or basketball people outside of Dallas that would put Howard anywhere near Artest's level. I mean it's not even close, really. Artest might just be the premier defender in all of basketball, and he has a complimentary offensive game to go with it.

If Artest was not a head case, no team would ever trade him, and a package of Terry and Quis would be laughed at by the Pacers.

How sad is it that his problems are so bad, that deal would probably be laughed at the other way by Dallas?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-11-2005 at 02:29 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #17
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think you'd be hard pressed to find many fans or basketball people outside of Dallas that would put Howard anywhere near Artest's level. I mean it's not even close, really. Artest might just be the premier defender in all of basketball, and he has a complimentary offensive game to go with it.
How is Artest's offensive game any better than Howard's offensive game? In the past 3 seasons, their PSA (points per shots attempt) numbers are 1.04 for Artest and 1.03 for Howard. This year it's 1.06 for each of them. Artest thinks he's a lot better than he actually is offensively, which makes him (in my mind at least) less valuable on offense than Howard. Plus, I think Howard still has room for growth in his offensive game, whereas I think Artest pretty much is what he is. Either way, I don't think there's any way that Artest should be considered superior to Howard offensively.

On the defensive end, Artest is clearly better when and if he's focused, but how often does that happen? This year, Howard's "counterpart PER" as tracked by 82games.com is 3 points lower than Artest's similar stat. Based on what you can count on from the two players on a nightly basis, I'll take Howard every time.

As for how they're ranked, dude is right. In fact, Howard's PER ranking is higher than Artest's ranking.

If Artest has his head screwed on straight, I agree that the Pacers wouldn't deal him. Then again, he doesn't, and that means that any team that wants to trade for him should and will take his "mental status" into account.

Say no to Artest.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:59 PM   #18
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Sorry but who in their right mind would give up Daniels and Terry for Artest.

The guy is overrated and talk about a cancer and he is got a lot of mental issues.
I would not do a Daniels for Artest trade.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #19
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

While Howard is a good player, I believe what puts Artest above Howard both offensively and defensively is his brute strength. Obviously both players have their own advantages...Howard is a little more wirey enabling him to slash between the cracks for those easy baskets and sweet rebounds...Artest is heavier and stronger allowing him to bang around more and gain position but is just as quick as Howard.

These are two players who would absolutely wreak havoc on opposing offenses if given the chance to play beside one another.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:05 PM   #20
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
Sorry but who in their right mind would give up Daniels and Terry for Artest.

The guy is overrated and talk about a cancer and he is got a lot of mental issues.
I would not do a Daniels for Artest trade.
I would.

Call me crazy but a lineup featuring:
Damp / Diop / Pollard
Dirk / KVH
Artest / Stackhouse
Howard / Griffin
Harris / Armstrong

is as solid as they come and much better than what we currently have. All in all, the potential is too much to be overlooked and I would pull the trigger.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:56 PM   #21
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
How is Artest's offensive game any better than Howard's offensive game? In the past 3 seasons, their PSA (points per shots attempt) numbers are 1.04 for Artest and 1.03 for Howard. This year it's 1.06 for each of them. Artest thinks he's a lot better than he actually is offensively, which makes him (in my mind at least) less valuable on offense than Howard. Plus, I think Howard still has room for growth in his offensive game, whereas I think Artest pretty much is what he is. Either way, I don't think there's any way that Artest should be considered superior to Howard offensively.

On the defensive end, Artest is clearly better when and if he's focused, but how often does that happen? This year, Howard's "counterpart PER" as tracked by 82games.com is 3 points lower than Artest's similar stat. Based on what you can count on from the two players on a nightly basis, I'll take Howard every time.

As for how they're ranked, dude is right. In fact, Howard's PER ranking is higher than Artest's ranking.

If Artest has his head screwed on straight, I agree that the Pacers wouldn't deal him. Then again, he doesn't, and that means that any team that wants to trade for him should and will take his "mental status" into account.

Say no to Artest.
I never said Artest was better on offense. I don't think he is and I never said it.

I do, however, believe he is a FAR superior defender, when things are right with him, which is in fact essentially what you said.

My whole point was that, if Artest was right, he was clearly a superior player to Howard, and I would take him in a heartbeat. I also said I don't believe he is right, so I would not do the deal....so I don't really see where we disagree here, except for you misunderstanding what I meant on his offense.

I guess I was mainly playing devil's advocate. I wouldn't even think of doing that deal right now, but let's not kid ourselves. If Artest wasn't freaking crazy, he'd be considered one of the best 10 players in basketball, and Howard wouldn't touch him.

EDIT: And btw, even if Artest was right, there's no way he and Howard could start on the same team. They're too much of the same animal.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-11-2005 at 05:56 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #22
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

Not only is Artest crazy/immature, but he is truly a selfish individual. Remember when he asked for a month off in the midst of the season to promote his rap album? Now instead of bringing up this trade issue within the organization (according to the report) who does he speak to instead? First he talks about bringing a championship to Indiana, now with 2 years left of his contract he is thinking beyond this season at the expense of this team on how he can secure a 10-12 mil/year contract? I dont care how wonderful he is as a basketball player, just say no to this scumbag.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

Realgm ratings are almost identical between Josh/Artest...54/51 respectively.

Marquis is at 93 and coming lower and lower.

Josh outrebounds Artest which is what we need. Who needs the headcase.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #24
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

If we brought Artest into Dallas he'd put us over the top. That's how good he is. He's exactly what we need at the 2/3 spot. He's what Josh Howard wants to be. The problem and huge risk here is his attitude. Same thing we said about Nick Van Exel who had a very similiar situation to the one Artest had last year. Pistons took the same risk with an unhappy Rasheed Wallace and received a championship title in return. These guys are unhappy because they play for bad teams. What is there for Artest to be unhappy about here? He's going to start. He's going to recieve however minutes he deserves. He has a chance at a title and he has a head coach who's played the game just like he has. Being that Artest wants out he's going to be given away in a bargain deal. Mavs maybe could get him in a steal. I'd trade him for anyone not named Josh, Dirk, Marquis or Harris. You trade any players on this team not named those guys it will not hurt your team. This team doesn't live or die with KVH or Stackhouse and with the way Harris is playing as of late I may do a Terry for Artest deal.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #25
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

At least he admits he is a problem lol.

Now if only Walker would do the same.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #26
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

unfortunately there are another 11 steps after admitting you have a problem.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:46 PM   #27
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Walsh say Pacers will seek Artest trade

By Mike Wells and Mark Montieth
mike.wells@indystar.com

The Indiana Pacers aren't wasting time in responding to Ron Artest's request to be traded.

CEO Donnie Walsh said today that the Pacers will put Artest on the inactive list for the rest of the week as they pursue a trade.

Artest did not attend Monday's practice. He missed the past two games with a wrist injury.

Artest told The Star on Saturday morning that he didn't like playing for coach Rick Carlisle and that he wanted a fresh start.

Walsh has met with Artest twice, including once after Saturday's announcement.

"At that point, I would have wanted Ronnie to come to practice, because the fact a player says he wants to be traded really has no consequence to the franchise," Walsh said. "But since that time, he's stepped up and (repeated his trade request) a few times. I've changed my thoughts on that.

"He'll remain on the active list through this week, and I've told him he doesn't have to come to practice. The reason for that is we will pursue trades. And I'm not going to know for a while exactly what the situation is going to be.

"I don't want the team to be distracted."

Artest, who is averaging 19.4 points a game, said he wants to play for a team on which he can excel offensively. He watched the past two games from the bench as the Pacers picked up impressive victories. He said he thinks he disrupts the offense with his one-on-one style. The Pacers are 2-1 this season without Artest in the lineup.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #28
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
If we brought Artest into Dallas he'd put us over the top. That's how good he is. He's exactly what we need at the 2/3 spot. He's what Josh Howard wants to be. The problem and huge risk here is his attitude. Same thing we said about Nick Van Exel who had a very similiar situation to the one Artest had last year. Pistons took the same risk with an unhappy Rasheed Wallace and received a championship title in return. These guys are unhappy because they play for bad teams. What is there for Artest to be unhappy about here? He's going to start. He's going to recieve however minutes he deserves. He has a chance at a title and he has a head coach who's played the game just like he has. Being that Artest wants out he's going to be given away in a bargain deal. Mavs maybe could get him in a steal. I'd trade him for anyone not named Josh, Dirk, Marquis or Harris. You trade any players on this team not named those guys it will not hurt your team. This team doesn't live or die with KVH or Stackhouse and with the way Harris is playing as of late I may do a Terry for Artest deal.
For the case of Nick and Rasheed, they have already been paid and were not looking for money. Nick was even willing to renegotiate the last couple of years in his contract to make it easy for the Mavs to keep him. They are on the downward slope of their careers and just want a ring. Artest wants to go to a team to rack up the stats for a big payday in a couple of years. So I guess he wouldn't mind going to New York or any leastern teams for that matter. With a bad team his stats would look great. Indiana is not a shabby team to begin with, and if he does not want to go west, he has maybe 2 options to win a title this year - Miami and Detroit. So what does that say of his interest in a title?
Old 12-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #29
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Rasheed "CTC" (Cuth The Check) Wallace was not concerned about a ring at the time he was being shopped.

If we can get Artest for a bargain, then do it. Let's bring some more defense in here.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:48 PM   #30
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Wallace is a much better player then Artest..IMO.

Artest is not what we need.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:53 PM   #31
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGoesNuclear
For the case of Nick and Rasheed, they have already been paid and were not looking for money. Nick was even willing to renegotiate the last couple of years in his contract to make it easy for the Mavs to keep him. They are on the downward slope of their careers and just want a ring. Artest wants to go to a team to rack up the stats for a big payday in a couple of years. So I guess he wouldn't mind going to New York or any leastern teams for that matter. With a bad team his stats would look great. Indiana is not a shabby team to begin with, and if he does not want to go west, he has maybe 2 options to win a title this year - Miami and Detroit. So what does that say of his interest in a title?

Dirkenstein replied before I could. Sheed's nickname was "CTC" that's tells you what his interests were. I actually remember him being interviewed and saying all he wanted was a check. Artest is the type of player we need in here. I'm not saying trade our youth or our all stars for him. Just make an offer. Offer KVH, Stack or JET. If they don't want to except fine. But atleast make an attempt at one of the best defenders in the league.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:33 AM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Wow, I agree with Charles Barkley...

Indiana supported the guy when many other teams would have tried to sever connections. They not only didnt say anything negative, they came out as an outspoken advocate for the guy. Artest is a punk.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:15 AM   #33
DirkGoesNuclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Dirkenstein replied before I could. Sheed's nickname was "CTC" that's tells you what his interests were. I actually remember him being interviewed and saying all he wanted was a check. Artest is the type of player we need in here. I'm not saying trade our youth or our all stars for him. Just make an offer. Offer KVH, Stack or JET. If they don't want to except fine. But atleast make an attempt at one of the best defenders in the league.
If I remember correctly, the situation with Rasheed is a little different. He was discontent with the team for whatever reason and wanted out. There was a lot of trade rumors flying around. So when ask which team he'd rather go to, he said it didn't matter as long as they "cut the check". It wasn't like he was trying to secure a bigger contract or anything. He just wanted out of Portland and provide his services to whichever team that is payrolling him. Artest on the other hand wants to be a primma donna and boost his offensive stats so that he can have a huge payday in a couple of years.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:19 AM   #34
DirkGoesNuclear

Latest from DMN:

Don't wait on Artest: If you think Ron Artest, who has requested a trade from Indiana, would be good in Dallas, you might want to reassess your thoughts.

Owner Mark Cuban and Johnson both said the Mavericks are not headed in that direction.

"We like our team," Cuban said.

Artest has said Dallas is one team he'd consider playing for.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:51 AM   #35
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Nick and Rasheed have much more pleasant personalities than Artest IMO. I think he could easily destroy the chemistry of the team. We are are doing well right now, and we will become even better as the season progresses. No major tinkering with the team now, please!!!

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:17 AM   #36
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGoesNuclear
Latest from DMN:

Don't wait on Artest: If you think Ron Artest, who has requested a trade from Indiana, would be good in Dallas, you might want to reassess your thoughts.

Owner Mark Cuban and Johnson both said the Mavericks are not headed in that direction.

"We like our team," Cuban said.

Artest has said Dallas is one team he'd consider playing for.
Cuban has never been one to tip his hand but if this how they feel there is nothing wrong with that. Either way we will have a chance at competing and either way there are risks involved.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:17 AM   #37
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Artest would never take a backseat to dirk and honestly after seriously watching him the this year and the little he played last year, he hasnt been anything near what he is cracked up to be defensively. He had a qoute that whoever is guarding him its a mismatch. What???? If Dirk says that fine. If Garnett says that fine. If shaq says that or kobe or tmac or lebron or.... you get my point. Also Bucher said today that by and large he is considered a top 10 player in the nba. Did I miss something??? When he said that I just started naming people that I think are better in my head and I came up with(in no order just numbered to know how many i have.)
1. Duncan
2. Dirk
3. Kg
4. Jo
5. Shaq
6. Kobe
7. Tmac
8. Lebron
9. Wade( though i think he is overrated)
10. AI
11. Pierce
12. Brand
13. Arenas
14. Nash
15. Marion (as good a defender if not better for the time being, better rebounder, not a nut)

That is 15 guys off the top of my head. I mean do the guys on espn even think about stuff before they say it? I can come up with 10 more who are equivalents of artest. If you get him for KVHs contract some how, (though they dont match) then do it. Otherwise nope. Just let him go.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #38
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

"We like our team" sounds like code for "were looking seriously how we can get Artest without giving up key parts of our team" . If they aren't looking a the possibilities then they would have been a little more concrete with their quotes imo. Are there any more descript quotes from Cuban out there?

Cuban should take a chance and get Artest for Stackhouse if possible. Detroit took a risk on the troubled Rasheed and it panned out fine for them. Maybe a risk will work out for the Mavs too.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #39
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Getting him for stack isnt a risk. Detroit didnt really take a risk getting sheed either btw.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #40
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Getting him for stack isnt a risk. Detroit didnt really take a risk getting sheed either btw.
Bringing a player with issues into a good team without issues is certainly a risk.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote