Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute
Default PGT: Spurs at Mavericks, 1/29/2012 - easy

Last edited by GermanDunk; 01-29-2012 at 09:32 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default PGT: Neal down Spurs, Mavericks on top of Southwest

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 01-29-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Great game...a lot of fun to watch.

Jet with a BIG game

VC also had a very nice game

Dirk with some good rebounding, but was cold on offense

Roddy had a decent game, but is still BAD IMO at running the offense and as we saw struggles getting the ball to Dirk

But a W is a W, which mean everyone did their part

GOOOOOOOO MAAAAAVVVSSSS
Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post

Roddy had a decent game, but is still BAD IMO at running the offense and as we saw struggles getting the ball to Dirk

GOOOOOOOO MAAAAAVVVSSSS
Good D.
played 36 mins with only 1 TO.
ill take that from roddy every game.
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
Good D.
I will too, but if he is the PG out there he needs to do more on offense...meaning passing and running plays.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I will too, but if he is the PG out there he needs to do more on offense...meaning passing and running plays.
he led the team with 7 ast
i see your point though but what is he going to do when dirk had an awful shooting night like he did tonight?
marion 4-15
dirk 5-14
VC 8-15
kidd out
jet got 23 shots
i agree he needs to pass it a little bit more but sometimes i wouldnt mind a good look for him to shoot when hes open or has the chance to drain a shot.
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
You need to show some patience. You do realize the man has played 23 games totaling 323 minutes as PG in whole professional basketball career. He is learning his position at the highest level in the world. It's not going to be pretty at times, but he did a bang up job for the team late in the 4th and into the OT.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
You need to show some patience. You do realize the man has played 23 games totaling 323 minutes as PG in whole professional basketball career. He is learning his position at the highest level in the world. It's not going to be pretty at times, but he did a bang up job for the team late in the 4th and into the OT.
I will say that he doesn't seem to have a clue how to get the ball to Dirk. He had one post entry pass (in the third quarter I think?) that was a complete head-scratcher. This could be a problem moving forward.

I thought he had a pretty rough first three quarters, but I was pretty proud that he fought through all that and came up huge towards the end of the fourth. Those late layups where he just sliced through the Spurs D as well as that late block of Neal were vital. It seemed like one of those games where Roddy grew up.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 01-29-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
Good D.
Let's not forget his biggest play was going coast to coast for a quick layup with 29 seconds left in regulation, allowing the Mavs to play defense instead of fouling.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Quote:
7 assists 1 turnover, several pretty spectacular passes...

So I guess you're just trolling? Because this statement is factually incorrect.

Roddy controlled the game as a PG. Kidd couldn't have done much better.

Last edited by JHT; 01-29-2012 at 10:52 PM.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
redzwestisbest

redzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really niceredzwestisbest is just really nice

Quote:

Jet with a BIG game

VC also had a very nice game

Dirk with some good rebounding, but was cold on offense

GOOOOOOOO MAAAAAVVVSSSS

I'm beginning to think the problem with getting the ball to Dirk... is DIRK himself. He doesn't seem physically able to hold his ground enough to get in a stable position for are guards to get him the ball and when we do, he is pretty off his sweet spots. It doesn't matter who our 'point guard' is, its the same thing. Its time for RC to get more creative in finding ways to get him the ball. Roddy, West, Kidd, Carter, Lamar, Jet have all had problems getting Dirk the ball if we are keeping track. This is a trend that has nothing really to do with our guards.

Edited: Roadrunner...good post..wish I saw yours before making mine as I may have left West out of my list. West had I believe around 7-10 potential assists on his passes and the Mavs either missed wide open jumpers or the stat guy felt it was too long after the pass to give West the assist. He ended the game with 0 assists which is VERY VERY misleading.

Last edited by redzwestisbest; 01-30-2012 at 05:45 PM.
redzwestisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzwestisbest View Post
I'm beginning to think the problem with getting the ball to Dirk... is DIRK himself. He doesn't seem physically able to hold his ground enough to get in a stable position for are guards to get him the ball and when we do, he is pretty off his sweet spots. It doesn't matter who our 'point guard' is, its the same thing. Its time for RC to get more creative in finding ways to get him the ball. Roddy, West, Kidd, Carter, Lamar, Jet have all had problems getting Dirk the ball if we are keeping track. This is a trend that has nothing really to do with our guards.

Edited: Roadrunner...good post..wish I saw yours before making mine as I may have left West out of my list. West had I believe around 7-10 potential assists on his passes and the Mavs either missed wide open jumpers or the stat guy felt it was too long after the pass to give West the assist. He ended the game with 0 assists which is VERY VERY misleading.
Then you might as well trade him. He's never been massive enough to just bull his way and hold position, he gets rooted out. That's why the point guard cannot be afraid to throw it to meet him when he gets there. As dirk said and is in someone's signature. He used to just lope through a screen because he knew the guard wasn't going to aggressively give it to him, but with kid it's right there when he gets there. In this equation dirk versus roddy...the problem is roddy, and will continue to be until he makes quicker decisions.

I would think a part of it now is his lack of quickness because of the knee. But there is not doubt that jkiddo puts it on targe and on time.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 01-30-2012 at 09:42 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

That was close. I hope the Mavs learned their lesson.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #15
Nowitzness81

Nowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
That was close. I hope the Mavs learned their lesson.
What lesson?

No Kidd, rusty Dirk.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzness81 View Post
What lesson?

No Kidd, rusty Dirk.
They played without some keyplayers either. No, the gave them too many open looks, not focussed, not enough aggressiveness.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Just watched the last 5 min + OT again on ILP. So glad that they fought back and got the win. However, it should never ever have come close to that. We had them in the bag and Pop threw the towel. On ST they are acting like this fluky 3-point barrage in the end of the third and in the fourth quarter was typical SA standard. Without those lucky hits the game would never have been tied again.

And Blair playing "good" defense on Dirk... my a**! Seriously, is it a standard for the Spurs to employ dirty a**holes to play D on Dirk? Bowen, McDyess and now Blair... that was just disgusting. I'm 100 percent sure, if Duncan got mauled like that, those SA fans would have gone crazy. But no, against Dirk it's absolutely fine all the time and completely legal. There's even a thread over there in which they whine about the evil refs... The call where Mahinmi or Anderson (?) hit the ball last, well, I could give you that one. It was really close and hard to tell. Maybe a jump ball would have been the right choice. But despite that?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 01-30-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
AO41
Platinum Member

Apparently even Jets muscles talk, as you can see by that reporter holding the mic./ recorder or w.e. that is right under his muscle.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Doris Burke totally has the hots for JET. Always amusing when she calls a Mavs game.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #20
some1nw
Golden Member

some1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to all

Nobody on our team could get Dirk going offensively but a win is a win no doubt.

jet was awesome tonight, hit some clutch shots
VC got the team going offensively early with his scoring ability (love that last defensive sequence)
Dirk did okay offensively but hes still not %100 himself. I was happy to see him on the boards though.
Roddy was okay too in general but he should look to distribute the ball more often, not look to score.
Marion did his thing, he was good too but didnt shoot the ball very well
Odom was doing okay, i dont know why he played only 14min
Cardinal was just amazing, no playing minutes for him

Anyways... The blood pressure was so high tonight, great win
some1nw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #21
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Mavs beat Terminators tonight.
Mavs are heroes!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #22
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty insulting to be matched by a scrub unit on a rival team for over 20 minutes.

Ah well. Could have ended worse.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
some1nw
Golden Member

some1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Pretty insulting to be matched by a scrub unit on a rival team for over 20 minutes.

Ah well. Could have ended worse.
i dont think their starting unit could have played as well as 2nd unit.
some1nw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #24
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Almost losing to their backups is nothing to be proud about.

I'm glad we got the W, but this team needs to get their shit together.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #25
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
Almost losing to their backups is nothing to be proud about.

I'm glad we got the W, but this team needs to get their shit together.
Tough crowd. The reason we were in position to lose to their scrubs is because we took care of their first teamers. It should be noted we held the Spurs to 39.1% 2pt FG% and only let them shoot 19 free throws in 53 minutes of play. That kind of thing should win you ballgames but then San Antonio's 2nd unit started hitting every three they put up. It happens.

Also, these aren't the Spurs of yesterday - they're a pretty deep team. Green, Splitter, and Bonner haven't exactly been spares this year.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 01-29-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #26
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Twenty games from now is anyone going to care they almost lost to the second team? Winning is the important thing
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #27
Firnen

Firnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really nice

at least they managed to comeback and win against this SA towel waivers...
tomorrow against the Suns should be a Win too, but after what the Mavs showed tonight I'm really scared about games scheduled for us next month

Would really be happy if they could go 8-6 in February... but the way they played the last games it could be 6-8 easily
Firnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Twenty games from now is anyone going to care they almost lost to the second team? Winning is the important thing
This really depends on what you're looking for. If you're worried about standings, then you're correct. If you're worried about how the team is playing, you couldn't be more wrong.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #29
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk with the quietest double-double of his career - 10 points and 13 rebounds. Has he ever had more rebounds than points in a game?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #30
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Their second team? That was Terminators, their S5 just sat whole 4qtr and overtime on bench, because we were much better than them. Terminators were better than anyone, but we won.
I can stand one Terminator like Love, but Bonner, Splitter, Neal and Green in one time? It wasn't terrible game by Mavs. Spurs bench had a lot of luck.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #31
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even know how to approach analyzing this game. Jet was awesome, although he had stretches of being WAY too aggressive. Roddy had a solid game, but I thought his defense was a pretty big factor in the Spurs getting back in the game. Roddy also needs a lot of work running the pick and roll with Dirk, because right now it's not pretty.

Vince was just awesome. It's so huge to have a player with his offensive abilities on this roster while Dirk is struggling. Speaking of...Dirk was terrible offensively but the rebounding seems like a very good sign moving forward. I bet he's locked in before this week is over.

Loved what Haywood gave the team when he was in. Sure wish he could rediscover his FT stroke from a few years ago. There's a noticeable drop off on defense when he's not on the court in crunch time.

Odom was pretty invisible again. I continue to fear that he's going to be relegated to nothing but backup PF by the end of the season (if he's still here). And even at the level he's playing at now, there's nothing wrong with a backup PF of that caliber. But he was supposed to be so much more.

The Dom Jones appearance makes me feel like even Rick thought the game was over too early. I continue to view DJones as a non-NBA player.

Oh, and Delonte was terrible on both ends of the floor. I wonder if the hammy was still a bit sore, but he played through it with Kidd out.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-29-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #32
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Roddy also needs a lot of work running the pick and roll with Dirk, because right now it's not pretty.
There were definitely problems on this... but how much of this was just the result of the refs allowing the Spurs to basically mug Dirk? I don't know how even Kidd could have gotten him the ball in some of those situations. Blair just shoved, fouled, and grabbed Dirk to keep him from getting the ball and the refs did nothing.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #33
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Roddy had a solid game, but I thought his defense was a pretty big factor in the Spurs getting back in the game.
Agreed with most of what you said in this post, but I don't know why you are blaming Roddy here. Roddy left the game in the 3rd quarter with the Mavericks up 61-46 and (other than getting subbed in to finish the last 8 seconds) didn't enter the game again until Spurs were within 2 at 69-71 with 9:30 left in the 4th. Kinda hard to pin that one on him if he wasn't even on the court.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #34
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Agreed with most of what you said in this post, but I don't know why you are blaming Roddy here. Roddy left the game in the 3rd quarter with the Mavericks up 61-46 and (other than getting subbed in to finish the last 8 seconds) didn't enter the game again until Spurs were within 2 at 69-71 with 9:30 left in the 4th. Kinda hard to pin that one on him if he wasn't even on the court.
Hmm, I guess the possessions I'm remembering were more down the stretch in the fourth than during the big run. He had a handful of possession where he lost track of Neal, including the one that was highlighted on the broadcast where he went way under a screen.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #35
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Hmm, I guess the possessions I'm remembering were more down the stretch in the fourth than during the big run. He had a handful of possession where he lost track of Neal, including the one that was highlighted on the broadcast where he went way under a screen.
Yeah he did have one possession where he got a little too far off Neal and Neal caught the ball and drained a three because he couldn't recover. And Roddy did go under on a screen resulting on another three. Both those occurred after he got put in at that 69-71 point.

I still think Neal must have eaten a box of Wheaties this morning.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 01-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #36
JHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Yeah he did have one possession where he got a little too far off Neal and Neal caught the ball and drained a three because he couldn't recover.
Yeah there was one possession like that... but even there it's not like Neal was wide open and had a ton of time to shoot. Roddy wasn't that far off.

And everyone had a couple of possessions like that... Marion had several. Heck Marion fouled a guy for no reason in OT and almost lost them the game.

No defender, no matter how good, is perfect every time.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #37
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Roddy didn't adjust too well from Parker to Neal. The battle of the Frenchies was one of going under all the time. Both denied all access to the basket and as a result Parker went 2-11 and Roddy I think was 3-9 at some point because both had to take J after J. That didn't exactly work out with Neal though.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #38
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Five Spurs 3s in just over 3 minutes? I call BS on the universe.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #39
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

This is awesome.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #40
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I will need to keep the rep move it moving but so full of win. Thanks for posting.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote