Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #41
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

What really pisses me off is the fact that Popovic had already conceded this game. When that unit is out there, he basically says, well if they make a run, I'll be fine. And if we lose by 30 I'll be fine, too. That's how it works for the Spurs on the road this season.

I mean, you should know that stuff and put even more effort into the game to put that team away. A quality finish to the third would have done. That's under three minutes of solid play from Terry, DoJo, West, Odom and Ian and they managed to screw up completely.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #42
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Kidd would have gotten the ball to Dirk better, but Dirk was 3-for-12 outside six feet so why exactly do you want him to get even more touches? The refs were adding to the whole mess in allowing Blair, well, everything?

As said, much on not getting the ball was on him, because he couldn't outbattle Blair. Late game vs. Splitter it was much better, because Splitter wasn't that aggressive.
I dont get how Dirk being fouled but not called is somehow his fault for not getting the ball. I give Roddy credit for doing plenty of good things out there, but when Dirk did get into high post position Roddy failed to even try to get him the ball on several occasions. The PnR was the same thing. Kidd would do a much better job of feeding him in those situations.

As for his touches, I dont personally care if Dirk is 0 fer, I want him taking shots. He certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #43
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What really pisses me off is the fact that Popovic had already conceded this game. When that unit is out there, he basically says, well if they make a run, I'll be fine. And if we lose by 30 I'll be fine, too. That's how it works for the Spurs on the road this season.

I mean, you should know that stuff and put even more effort into the game to put that team away. A quality finish to the third would have done. That's under three minutes of solid play from Terry, DoJo, West, Odom and Ian and they managed to screw up completely.
Yep. This was the first of a 4 games in 5 nights set. Pop was throwing in the towel. Absolutely ridiculous to let them back in that game. Honestly, I put some of it on Rick. Why the hell was DJones out there at that time? That's so unlike him. Usually he's TOO cautious with getting the blow out crew in the game.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #44
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Yep. This was the first of a 4 games in 5 nights set. Pop was throwing in the towel. Absolutely ridiculous to let them back in that game. Honestly, I put some of it on Rick. Why the hell was DJones out there at that time? That's so unlike him. Usually he's TOO cautious with getting the blow out crew in the game.
That's really kind of an unforced error there. At some point Marion played the 5 with Terry, West, DoJo and Carter out there. I mean buying some minutes for Roddy, Dirk is one thing, but we have some depth at the 4 and 5, use it.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #45
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
I dont get how Dirk being fouled but not called is somehow his fault for not getting the ball. I give Roddy credit for doing plenty of good things out there, but when Dirk did get into high post position Roddy failed to even try to get him the ball on several occasions. The PnR was the same thing. Kidd would do a much better job of feeding him in those situations.
Actually you know who usually runs the PnR with Dirk?

JET.

And JET was out there the entire time, and they didn't even try to run that two man game.

Maybe Rick didn't want them to.

If the issue was really that Roddy was somehow too incompetent to get the ball to Dirk, Rick would have called for JET to do it.

He didn't. So I don't think that was the problem.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #46
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Quote:
That's really kind of an unforced error there. At some point Marion played the 5 with Terry, West, DoJo and Carter out there. I mean buying some minutes for Roddy, Dirk is one thing, but we have some depth at the 4 and 5, use it.
Agreed and Dojo didn't cost them the lead really.

Actually I don't think the Mavs did anything wrong, specifically, to cost them the lead. What happened was the Spurs started hitting tons of contested threes, pretty much out of nowhere, even from guys who can't make those shots.

I'm not sure how they could have stopped it. I guess a couple of them were open shots, but NONE of them were WIDE open and a lot of them were contested.

Combine that with the fact that the refs refused to call any fouls and yeah... there goes the lead.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #47
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Roddy had a solid game, but I thought his defense was a pretty big factor in the Spurs getting back in the game.
Agreed with most of what you said in this post, but I don't know why you are blaming Roddy here. Roddy left the game in the 3rd quarter with the Mavericks up 61-46 and (other than getting subbed in to finish the last 8 seconds) didn't enter the game again until Spurs were within 2 at 69-71 with 9:30 left in the 4th. Kinda hard to pin that one on him if he wasn't even on the court.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #48
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Agreed with most of what you said in this post, but I don't know why you are blaming Roddy here. Roddy left the game in the 3rd quarter with the Mavericks up 61-46 and (other than getting subbed in to finish the last 8 seconds) didn't enter the game again until Spurs were within 2 at 69-71 with 9:30 left in the 4th. Kinda hard to pin that one on him if he wasn't even on the court.
Hmm, I guess the possessions I'm remembering were more down the stretch in the fourth than during the big run. He had a handful of possession where he lost track of Neal, including the one that was highlighted on the broadcast where he went way under a screen.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 01-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #49
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHT View Post
Actually you know who usually runs the PnR with Dirk?

JET.

And JET was out there the entire time, and they didn't even try to run that two man game.

Maybe Rick didn't want them to.

If the issue was really that Roddy was somehow too incompetent to get the ball to Dirk, Rick would have called for JET to do it.

He didn't. So I don't think that was the problem.
Good point on the JET PnR in the sense that they do run that alot and have been very successful, but are u sure they didnt run any of those this game? I would have to rewatch the game to answer that myself. Even if that is the case, u implying that Rick told them not to run a PnR? That sounds unreasonable given how successful it is.

Yes, Roddy was too incompetent to get the ball to Dirk on several occasions whether it was a PnR or a high post. It is something that Roddy needs to learn and adjust to and I like Roddy so I am looking forward to his adjiustments to improve that part of his game.
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Old 01-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #50
JHT

Quote:
Yes, Roddy was too incompetent to get the ball to Dirk on several occasions whether it was a PnR or a high post. It is something that Roddy needs to learn and adjust to and I like Roddy so I am looking forward to his adjiustments to improve that part of his game.
I guess I don't understand what you expect from him when Blair is basically fouling Dirk before the pass every time. I don't know how anyone, even Kidd in his prime, could have gotten Dirk the ball... and again if it was all Roddy's fault then why didn't Rick have Terry do it (since Terry does it most of the time anyway). Terry never attempted it, not even once.

Once Blair was out of the picture and Splitter was on Dirk, they got Dirk the ball. Dirk then missed most of his shots, but they did get him the ball and usually in a pretty good spot.

Last edited by JHT; 01-29-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #51
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hmm, I guess the possessions I'm remembering were more down the stretch in the fourth than during the big run. He had a handful of possession where he lost track of Neal, including the one that was highlighted on the broadcast where he went way under a screen.
Yeah he did have one possession where he got a little too far off Neal and Neal caught the ball and drained a three because he couldn't recover. And Roddy did go under on a screen resulting on another three. Both those occurred after he got put in at that 69-71 point.

I still think Neal must have eaten a box of Wheaties this morning.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 01-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #52
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Roddy didn't adjust too well from Parker to Neal. The battle of the Frenchies was one of going under all the time. Both denied all access to the basket and as a result Parker went 2-11 and Roddy I think was 3-9 at some point because both had to take J after J. That didn't exactly work out with Neal though.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #53
JHT

Quote:
Yeah he did have one possession where he got a little too far off Neal and Neal caught the ball and drained a three because he couldn't recover.
Yeah there was one possession like that... but even there it's not like Neal was wide open and had a ton of time to shoot. Roddy wasn't that far off.

And everyone had a couple of possessions like that... Marion had several. Heck Marion fouled a guy for no reason in OT and almost lost them the game.

No defender, no matter how good, is perfect every time.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #54
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't a masterful floor game by Booby, but he was easily the team's best PG tonight, in my estimation, and he made some absolutely essential plays down the stretch. I suspect that a collective fail by the refs and some lingering rust on Dirk made Booby/Dirk connection looks more dysfunctional than it really is.

The comeback was frustrating, and some of the Spurs looks in the 2nd half were undoubtedly the result of lackluster closeouts by the Mavs, but that was also a pretty low probability run even with the way the Mavs relaxed, so I'm not inclined to get too worked up about it. Mainly I'm just going to file it away in my "reasons why I hate the Spurs" folder and hope to not see a repeat any time soon.

And one thing in particular that I really don't want to see a repeat of is DoJo getting garbage minutes in a three-guard lineup that early in a game against a troublesome rival. It may seem a minor thing, and the Spurs only outscored the Mavs by 5 in DoJo's four minutes, but it was during DoJo's stint on court that the Spurs' subs found their rhythm and got their confidence. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little miffed at Rick for that one. Cardinal, Yi and Brandan would all have been better choices for those minutes, IMO, and I don't think I'm getting carried away with hindsight by saying so.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #55
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #56
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
And one thing in particular that I really don't want to see a repeat of is DoJo getting garbage minutes in a three-guard lineup that early in a game against a troublesome rival. It may seem a minor thing, and the Spurs only outscored the Mavs by 5 in DoJo's four minutes, but it was during DoJo's stint on court that the Spurs' subs found their rhythm and got their confidence. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little miffed at Rick for that one. Cardinal, Yi and Brandan would all have been better choices for those minutes, IMO, and I don't think I'm getting carried away with hindsight by saying so.
Absolutely. That was so confusing. I'd love to get into Rick's head on that one. Maybe Dojo showed him something last game and he wanted to try to get him some time. Or maybe it was a match up they liked. Whatever it was, I didn't like it. Dojo's got no business being in a game that's still in doubt.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #57
Nowitzness81

Nowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
That was close. I hope the Mavs learned their lesson.
What lesson?

No Kidd, rusty Dirk.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #58
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

The play that pissed me off was when Dirk thought he had the rebound, a Spurs player stole it from him, and Dirk turns to complain to the ref as the player corrals it and gets a layup. Can't give up plays like that.

Great effort from Roddy and Jet. Loved Roddy in the final minute of regulation. Also, a rare 30 point game from Jet - he's had 2 in each of the last 3 seasons (playoffs included) - so that was a welcome sight. Sorely needed tonight.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #59
roadrunner
Golden Member

Quote:
I guess I don't understand what you expect from him when Blair is basically fouling Dirk before the pass every time. I don't know how anyone, even Kidd in his prime, could have gotten Dirk the ball... and again if it was all Roddy's fault then why didn't Rick have Terry do it (since Terry does it most of the time anyway). Terry never attempted it, not even once.

Once Blair was out of the picture and Splitter was on Dirk, they got Dirk the ball. Dirk then missed most of his shots, but they did get him the ball and usually in a pretty good spot.
Like I said before, I will have to take your word on no Jet Dirk PnR. My point is that Roddy had problems getting it to Dirk either on a high post feed or PnR even after Dirk worked his ass off thru the uncalled fouls. I know of one play for sure that VC had to feed Dirk the ball in high post out of a TO, so yes there was at least one adjustment to use another player to get him the ball. As for Kidd, he is adept at feeding Dirk the ball at the right time just as he is establishing position after sealing his man. Dirk had that position several times this game with Roddy and he didnt even ATTEMPT to get him the ball and looked indecisive until he just gave up completely and tried to move the ball in the other direction. This can and probably will improve once they have more game time together and I expect most of the adjustments to come from Roddy because it was mostly his fault.

I hope your not trying to say that just because Roddy couldnt get him the ball once Dirk has sealed his man off in the high post or anywhere else on the floor that Kidd couldnt either?

Last edited by roadrunner; 01-29-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #60
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Which just goes to show that if you think you can please everybody, you are sorely, sorely mistaken.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #61
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Man,

I really hate playing the Spurs. Their scrubs always go HAM from deep on us. Neal, Greeen, Bonner, now Anderson. Pop could coach a Y-league to a winning record in the NBA.

The Mavs really need to start getting Dirk some early touches going forward. It's just not fair to expect him to have any rhythm when he doesn't get a shot till the end of the 1st Quarter. Hopefully the knee is good enough to where they can start posting him again (I know part it was Roddy's poor passing and Blair's fouling, but still).
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #62
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah there was one possession like that... but even there it's not like Neal was wide open and had a ton of time to shoot. Roddy wasn't that far off.

And everyone had a couple of possessions like that... Marion had several. Heck Marion fouled a guy for no reason in OT and almost lost them the game.

No defender, no matter how good, is perfect every time.
Here's the full breakdown off Roddy's 4th quarter+OT defensive possessions based off Synergy (which isn't always perfect assigning out defensive possessions, but it'll have to do here):

Neal > P&R > Turnover
Neal > Iso > Miss 2
Neal > Spot-Up > Make 3 (this was the one he drifted off just a bit)
Neal > Spot-Up > Make 2
Neal > P&R > Make 3 (this was the screen Roddy went under)
Neal > P&R > Miss 2
Neal > P&R > Miss 2 (Roddy block! Well he got credit, may have been Dirk from behind)
Neal > Off-screen > Miss 2
Green > Iso > Make 2
Neal > P&R > Turnover
Neal > Hand-Off > Make 2 And 1 - (This is an example of Synergy questionably assigning a defensive possession. Here Roddy gets screened, switches players with Marion so that Marion is guarding Neal as he's driving to the basket, and Neal gets the layup as Marion swipes him over the head with 19 seconds remaining.)

So if we toss the last one, that's 10 possessions, 10 points allowed in the 4th quarter+OT. I thought he was fine defensively out there, and I absolutely love him for his defense on that possession of the fourth quarter where he was credited for the block on Neal. Although did Dirk maybe get a piece of that from behind? I've looked at that replay about 10 times now and still can't tell to be honest.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 01-30-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #63
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

lol look where our old buddy irishock showed up.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190540

ha!
Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #64
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Here's the full breakdown off Roddy's 4th quarter+OT defensive possessions based off Synergy (which isn't always perfect assigning out defensive possessions, but it'll have to do here):

Neal > P&R > Turnover
Neal > Iso > Miss 2
Neal > Spot-Up > Make 3 (this was the one he drifted off just a bit)
Neal > Spot-Up > Make 2
Neal > P&R > Make 3 (this was the screen Roddy went under)
Neal > P&R > Miss 2
Neal > P&R > Miss 2 (Roddy block! Well he got credit, may have been Dirk from behind)
Neal > Off-screen > Miss 2
Green > Iso > Make 2
Neal > P&R > Turnover
Neal > Hand-Off > Make 2 And 1 - (This is an example of Synergy questionably assigning a defensive possession. Here Roddy gets screened, switches players with Marion so that Marion is guarding Neal as he's driving to the basket, and Neal gets the layup as Marion swipes him over the head with 19 seconds remaining.)

So if we toss the last one, that's 10 possessions, 10 points allowed in the 4th quarter+OT. I thought he was fine defensively out there, and I absolutely love him for his defense on that possession of the fourth quarter where he was credited for the block on Neal. Although did Dirk maybe get a piece of that from behind? I've looked at that replay about 10 times now and still can't tell to be honest.
Yeah somehow Roddy defends the P&R beautifully (3 Points out of 5 Poss with 2 TOs today, think he's Top20 league-wide, confirm?) but sucks at Spot-Ups. Kind of puzzled why, but it is what it is.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #65
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
lol look where our old buddy irishock showed up.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190540

ha!

That kid posts on more message boards than baskerballgirl67 (or whatever it was).
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #66
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
That kid posts on more message boards than baskerballgirl67 (or whatever it was).
ugh basketballgirl was even worse than irishock. Which is saying something.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #67
JHT

Quote:
No argument there. I don't think Dojo is to blame for the Spurs comeback, but really don't understand why he was in there at all, or rather why they rolled out the 3 guard lineup at all.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #68
JHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
The play that pissed me off was when Dirk thought he had the rebound, a Spurs player stole it from him, and Dirk turns to complain to the ref as the player corrals it and gets a layup. Can't give up plays like that.
You mean the play where Dirk had a rebound and a Spurs player blatantly fouled him, took it from him, and the ref was sitting there watching it and didn't blow his whistle?

Dirk should have complained. Someone needed to say something.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #69
JHT

Quote:
I hope your not trying to say that just because Roddy couldnt get him the ball once Dirk has sealed his man off in the high post or anywhere else on the floor that Kidd couldnt either?
No. What I'm saying is that when Blair was on him, Dirk was never, ever able to seal his man off in the high post. Because Blair was basically fouling him, grabbing him, pulling him, shoving him. Had Roddy passed him the ball Blair would have either stolen it or knocked it out of bounds. There was no way to get Dirk the ball because Dirk was never able to seal off Blair.

As evidence I present what happened as soon as Splitter was on Dirk instead of Blair. Then they had no problem getting Dirk the ball because Dirk WAS able to seal of Splitter, because Splitter isn't a serial fouler (though if he had any sense he would have been fouling since clearly the refs weren't going to call any of it).

See what I mean?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #70
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Quote:
You mean the play where Dirk had a rebound and a Spurs player blatantly fouled him, took it from him, and the ref was sitting there watching it and didn't blow his whistle?

Dirk should have complained. Someone needed to say something.
But after the play was over. If there is no whistle, then there's no whistle. State your case when you are back on offense going to the other end of the court.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #71
roadrunner
Golden Member

Quote:
No. What I'm saying is that when Blair was on him, Dirk was never, ever able to seal his man off in the high post. Because Blair was basically fouling him, grabbing him, pulling him, shoving him. Had Roddy passed him the ball Blair would have either stolen it or knocked it out of bounds. There was no way to get Dirk the ball because Dirk was never able to seal off Blair.

As evidence I present what happened as soon as Splitter was on Dirk instead of Blair. Then they had no problem getting Dirk the ball because Dirk WAS able to seal of Splitter, because Splitter isn't a serial fouler (though if he had any sense he would have been fouling since clearly the refs weren't going to call any of it).

See what I mean?
Yes, I do. Of course it was much easier for him to seal Splitter and much harder to seal Blair for all the reasons we have discussed. The difference is I know I saw Dirk seal Blair on several occasions. U didnt see him seal him at all? This is where i believe he would have gotten the ball if it were passed at the right time and with accuracy by Roddy. I guess I don't have your crystal ball that shows me where Blair steals the ball or knocks it away on those possessions that Dirk sealed and didn't get the ball.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #72
4Dirk1Nowitzki

4Dirk1Nowitzki is a jewel in the rough4Dirk1Nowitzki is a jewel in the rough4Dirk1Nowitzki is a jewel in the rough

Loved the mavs activity on the boards this game.

At the beginning of the year there would only be one person maybe two people at most pursuing defensive rebounds. but today and the last couple of games the Mavs have some gang rebounding going on.

Even on some occasions u could see a couple of Mavs players battling each other for the boards. The improved defensive effort and rebounding is going to be key.

We almost blew it out there today, but Dirk looked good on the boards. Hopefully his offense will come eventually. I'm just happy the rest of the team is doing great on offense. The system RC is running does not rely on Dirk too much so we are winning these games as a team. Team basketball is a beautiful thing.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 AM   #73
JHT

Quote:
Yes, I do. Of course it was much easier for him to seal Splitter and much harder to seal Blair for all the reasons we have discussed. The difference is I know I saw Dirk seal Blair on several occasions. U didnt see him seal him at all? This is where i believe he would have gotten the ball if it were passed at the right time and with accuracy by Roddy. I guess I don't have your crystal ball that shows me where Blair steals the ball or knocks it away on those possessions that Dirk sealed and didn't get the ball.
I really don't remember seeing Dirk truly seal Blaire at all. I mean he tried, he was fighting like crazy but like I said, he could only take it so far unless he wanted to get Flagrant about it. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong but I was kind of watching for it, for exactly the reason that I wanted to see how Roddy did getting the ball in to Dirk.

There were times when Dirk would get Blair on his back but Blaire would be fouling him so much shoving him reaching around him, pinning Dirk's arms that Dirk couldn't have caught a pass. There were a couple of times when Dirk slipped around Blaire and that's usually the cue to pass the ball over Blaire's head to Dirk but in one of those instances I remember another Spur collapsed on him to help deny the pass... in the other I think Blaire basically shoved him or grabbed him to keep him from getting free.

Doesn't the fact that they were able to get it in to Dirk when Splitter was on him sort of prove that it was Blaire that was the problem and not so much Roddy or Dirk? It wasn't like Splitter wasn't active he was all over Dirk, just wasn't risking the crazy fouls Blaire was getting away with.

Last edited by JHT; 01-30-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:17 AM   #74
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Well, that is one major reason why Kidd plays. He can pass the ball to Dirk. Sounds retarded, but he is the only Maverick capable of feeding Dirk in the post consistently. And he is the only Maverick who can feed Dirk on backdoor cuts if the opponent is fronting or denying Dirk the ball.
This is very true! It's the major reason we lost to GS in 07, no one could make an entry pass on that team and Dirk had to come close to the 3pt line and try to beat guards off the dribble with 8 seconds left.

Kidd's passes are on the money, (duh, right) and if only for that he still deserves to play.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #75
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It wasn't a masterful floor game by Booby, but he was easily the team's best PG tonight, in my estimation, and he made some absolutely essential plays down the stretch. I suspect that a collective fail by the refs and some lingering rust on Dirk made Booby/Dirk connection looks more dysfunctional than it really is.
It's really hard not to get excited about uttering the words "team's best pg" when referring to Roddy. The team will reach a new level if he keeps it up.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #76
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Absolutely. That was so confusing. I'd love to get into Rick's head on that one. Maybe Dojo showed him something last game and he wanted to try to get him some time. Or maybe it was a match up they liked. Whatever it was, I didn't like it. Dojo's got no business being in a game that's still in doubt.
I thought the spurs went really small and without delonte being full speed he needed another guard and he wanted some quicker defense.. Yi,wright weren't viable. It was strange to see him out there in real minutes however. I'm not sure rick liked what he saw because he was getting after him pretty good. What was it about?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #77
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Dirk looked like he's 50 years old out there

Last edited by Ninkobei; 01-30-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #78
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

This game should have never went into a OT...hopefully RC and the Mavs learn from this or it might come back to bite them in the a** when it matters.

Terry and Carter played great and I think it might be time for Dirk to rest again because he looked slow out there...you know it's bad when Matt Bonner is beating Dirk down the court.

Last edited by Thomas86; 01-30-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #79
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzness81 View Post
What lesson?

No Kidd, rusty Dirk.
They played without some keyplayers either. No, the gave them too many open looks, not focussed, not enough aggressiveness.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #80
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Just watched the last 5 min + OT again on ILP. So glad that they fought back and got the win. However, it should never ever have come close to that. We had them in the bag and Pop threw the towel. On ST they are acting like this fluky 3-point barrage in the end of the third and in the fourth quarter was typical SA standard. Without those lucky hits the game would never have been tied again.

And Blair playing "good" defense on Dirk... my a**! Seriously, is it a standard for the Spurs to employ dirty a**holes to play D on Dirk? Bowen, McDyess and now Blair... that was just disgusting. I'm 100 percent sure, if Duncan got mauled like that, those SA fans would have gone crazy. But no, against Dirk it's absolutely fine all the time and completely legal. There's even a thread over there in which they whine about the evil refs... The call where Mahinmi or Anderson (?) hit the ball last, well, I could give you that one. It was really close and hard to tell. Maybe a jump ball would have been the right choice. But despite that?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 01-30-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote