Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of
Default AI to Grizzlies

Quote:
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP)—Allen Iverson(notes) has something to prove.

Though the 10-time All-Star and former league MVP has scored more than 23,000 points in his NBA career, he wasn’t a highly sought-after free agent.

The 34-year-old guard heard all the talk that he’s lost a step, that last year’s dip in offensive production indicated he’s on the downside of an All-Star career, maybe even ready for retirement.

Iverson wants to prove those critics wrong, and he’ll get his chance in Memphis. He signed a one-year contract Thursday with the Grizzlies—a team that hasn’t reached the playoffs since 2006 and has never won a postseason game. The Grizzlies are coming off a 24-58 season that tied for fifth-worst in the NBA.

“This year for me is so personal,” Iverson said.

“It’s basically going to be my rookie season again. It hurts, but I turn the TV on, I read the paper, I listen to some of the things people say about me having the season that I had last year and me losing a step, things like that. They’re trying to put me in a rocking chair already.”

The Grizzlies announced they had signed the 10-time All Star on Thursday morning minutes before Iverson was introduced at a news conference.

The team and Iverson’s agent, Leon Rose, declined to discuss specifics though Rose said the deal is laden with team-oriented incentives. None are tied to Iverson’s individual statistics. A base salary reported at about $3.5 million was increased after the Grizzlies withdrew a qualifying offer to guard Juan Carlos Navarro(notes), freeing up more money for the signing.

The 13-year veteran was welcomed with a standing ovation in an atmosphere that felt like a pep rally with fans welcomed to the lobby of the FedExForum.

Iverson, dressed in a white shirt and a wearing a Grizzlies ball cap, saluted the hundreds of fans who yelled out “We Love You, Allen,” and chanted “AI, AI, AI.” Cheerleaders, the team mascot and even the drum corps were there. One fan presented Iverson a book during the news conference. The Convention and Visitors Bureau gave him a Beale Street Blue Gibson guitar.

At times, the whoops and support of Iverson’s answers were reminiscent of a revival.

The Grizzlies are hoping for more than a revival. They want to go well beyond just making the playoffs and boost interest in a franchise struggling to sell seats in Memphis.

General manager Chris Wallace called Iverson one of the NBA’s all-time great guards and said the signing is a great day for the team, Grizzlies’ fans and the city of Memphis. The team had been courting Iverson since July, a process that sped up with dinner Monday night in Atlanta with the guard, Wallace, team owner Michael Heisley and coach Lionel Hollins.

“This guy has many years of basketball left in him … and he is eager. He expressed it to us to get going with the task of helping our team reach a whole other level of success,” Wallace said.

Iverson is the biggest name ever stretched across the back of a Grizzlies jersey. The franchise has only one All-Star in its history—Pau Gasol(notes) in 2006.

The 6-foot Iverson has been rookie of the year, the 2001 league MVP and a four-time scoring champ with a career average of 27.1. Philadelphia made him the top pick in the 1996 NBA draft, and he spent the bulk of his career with the 76ers before being traded to Denver in 2006 and then to Detroit last November.

Whether Iverson’s presence translates into more wins for the Grizzlies is unknown, but the excitement Thursday could indicate his potential impact at the box office. The team store already had jerseys with Iverson’s No. 3 hanging on the wall ready for sale.

Iverson ranks second among active players in career scoring behind Shaquille O’Neal(notes) and is 16th all-time with 23,983 points in 886 games.

Iverson will open the season against his most recent team. The Detroit Pistons visit Memphis on Oct. 28.

The Grizzlies’ courting of Iverson lasted much of the summer. Other teams including New York, Charlotte, Miami and the Clippers inquired about Iverson, but Memphis appeared to be the only one to make a solid offer to the veteran guard.

Questions still remain about where Iverson fits in the Grizzlies’ plans after talking most of the summer about the need for scoring help off the bench. Iverson said in April he would rather retire than come off the bench and complained about his minutes.

Iverson said Thursday he wants to compete and be a coach on the floor.

O.J. Mayo(notes), who finished second to Chicago’s Derrick Rose(notes) in rookie of the year voting last season, starts at shooting guard. Memphis seems committed to Mike Conley(notes) at the point. There’s little doubt Iverson’s scoring talents should help a team which averaged only 93.9 points a game last season, next to last in the league.

“I’m excited,” Conley said after watching the news conference with his teammates. “It’s a guy I always watched growing up, and having him as a teammate is going to be a great opportunity for me.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They want to go well beyond just making the playoffs and boost interest in a franchise struggling to sell seats in Memphis.
There it is.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

“This year for me is so personal,” Iverson said.

“It’s basically going to be my rookie season again. It hurts, but I turn the TV on, I read the paper, I listen to some of the things people say about me having the season that I had last year and me losing a step, things like that. They’re trying to put me in a rocking chair already.”

Muahahaha, exactly what i thought. He wanna prove to everyone he is not done. He will jack up every single possible shot to get back his 25ppg.

Gay will do the same for his payday. Zach anyway...Mayo anyway

OMFG...

Last edited by sefant77; 09-10-2009 at 06:06 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

"You know, I always wanted a ring since the beginning of my career. That's what drive me for several years"

"You know, that was very hard for me these last years. First of all, the failure with Philadelphia. You know, my biggest dream was to win a championship with this town. But only god can decide. And god decide that was not my time. My arrival to Denver was also very complicated, I think my game didn't really correspond to this franchise. "

" But you know, the hardest thing was at Detroit. Be on the bench was very complicated for me, much more than you can imagine. So, I decided to search a franchise who can bring me this ring. And that's here the Grizzlies call me. "

"We have a very good team. I think with myself, Zach, Rudy, OJ and myself, Memphis is ready to play playoffs. We are like the Celtics in 2008 you know. And this time, I think I am the men who can make the difference. This year, I will bring to Memphis his first NBA championnship."

"That's not a joke..."

"I promise you..."

Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

AI will win you as many games as he loses for you. Luckily the West may have a weak underbelly and 41 wins may get you a playoff spot.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 09-10-2009 at 08:09 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

He seems so desperate to prove he's not done.

I just hope he doesn't end up like Julio Franco in baseball and is still playin at 50 for some other scrub team like the Knicks saying "I'm not done!" with his dentures falling out. It's just sad. But I can definitely see it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!

Last edited by Nowitzki4President; 09-10-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

AI I get...but why Zach Randolph?
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather play for a team that could win a championship than worry about starting and proving to everyone that my game wasn't done.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley View Post
I'd rather play for a team that could win a championship than worry about starting and proving to everyone that my game wasn't done.
Sry, thats just the option for players with at least some brain...
Old 09-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Like him or not Iverson is still got game left. Last season was a horrible opne for him due t many things, but if anyone doesnt think that he will bounce back theyr fooling themselves. Hes not the Iverson from Phili, but he can still give you 20on any given nite and players still respect him and have to guard him. Hes not DONE, probably still has a few years in him. Same thing with McGrady, like him or not if he comes back healthy and they are saying he will McGrady will bounce back. These guys are very talented, especially McGrady who has size too. McGrady could play on one leg and half the league still wouldn't be able to guard him. Iverson isnt as gifted physically, but I am certain they will both bounce back in a BIG way.
AO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post

priceless.

Their expression is like.. "why do we put up with this fool?"

They look as if they've been forced to watch.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #13
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

My parents have a house in TN for business purposes. Every time I'm within the TN border, I look that same way.

What a miserable ass state.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
priceless.

Their expression is like.. "why do we put up with this fool?"

They look as if they've been forced to watch.
And every one of them sonsabitches has about one tenth of the talent AI has.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #15
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
And every one of them sonsabitches has about one tenth of the talent AI has.
Unfortunately he didnt have the brain to use his talent the right way...
Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Im rooting for AI.. I hope he gets his 25pppg and at a 50% clip and they do make the playoffs.. and we play them and win due to their immaturity as a team.

One thing AI does have is heart. I have no doubt that he will pass down SOME wise/good attributes/lessons to the youngins of Memphis.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #17
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Unfortunately he didnt have the brain to use his talent the right way...
AI def. had some issues over the years, but it really doesnt have to do with his Brain. He led Philly to the finals..go back and look who was on that team. He kept them in the playoffs almost every year. In Denver it was going to owrk wit Melo and at that time Melo had way more issues than AI. So both get soem blame. But Detroit was def. not AI's fault. That was a really really bad situation to get put into. NO WAY was that gonna work and their coach sucked.

Soo I am expecting a big year from AI and wouldnt be surprised to possibly see them sneak in that 8th spot, but probably wont happen.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #18
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
AI def. had some issues over the years, but it really doesnt have to do with his Brain. He led Philly to the finals.
Hell no.

Im writing this since years. It wasnt Iverson who led the Sixers to the finals, it was the perfect TEAM around him (and specially the D) that carried Iverson to the finals.

In Denver it never worked out either because they missed players Iverson had in Philly in his finals-year.

I blame Iverson to be that braindead scorer. He would have been way more sucessful if he would have take 5-8 shots each game less in his career and focus on the quality shots/looks/opportunities. Career 42/31% is just ridiculous for the amount of shots he took.

And yes, he has a big heart for the game. But still a small brain...

Last edited by sefant77; 09-11-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Iverson Boosts Grizzlies Ticket Sales
Memphis NBA Franchise Sees Record Sales

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news...s_Ticket_Sales

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The addition of Allen Iverson to the Memphis Grizzlies has resulted the biggest boom in ticket sales seen in the history of the team.

Iverson, as the newest member of the Memphis Grizzlies, he brings experience, talent, charisma, and he puts butts in the seats.

"The last 48 hours it has been our biggest two days of sales since we started here," says Dennis O'Connor, Vice President of Ticket Sales for the Memphis Grizzlies.

The Grizzles are giving new season ticket purchasers an Allen Iverson jersey as an incentive. And at this point, that may be the only way to get one, there are only a few of the number three jerseys left in stock.

Iverson fan, Cynthia Bridges was quick to buy one for her grandson.

"He's followed him from Philadelphia, to Denver, to the Pistons," says Bridges. "I think it will boost the morale here, the fact that he's experienced and ready to roll with them."

Also ready to roll, the downtown bars and restaurants that are ready for the financial benefit of the increased ticket sales.

"Its simple when the forum is full, we are full," says Shawn Danko, owner of the Kooky Canuck. "Its just the way it goes, if they're sold out, we're sold out."

Danko says many of his regulars were on the fence about renewing season tickers, but the addition of AI made them quick to re-up.

"No brainer," says Danko. "The fans have been dying for someone marquis, somebody to come into the market and play for the Grizzlies."

The ticket sales boom has been with season tickets and the 11 game ticket packs. But the Grizzlies expect single ticket sales to be just as hot, those tickets go on sale October 3rd.

"We've really seen a buzz there," says O'Connor. "We've had tons of calls already asking, 'Hey when do the tickets go on sale for opening night?' We play the pistons, Iverson's former team, so that adds a little more intrigue to the game."
Old 09-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #20
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I think it's unfortunate that he wouldn't embrace a sixth man role. He still wouldn't have been ideal for our team since we already had Jet for instant offense off the bench as well as plenty of other capable scorers. In general however, I think it would have increased his value in the eyes of most teams that aren't as deep as us.

I know we shouldn't be concerned... but Memphis has a lot of talent. It's unstable talent, cancerous talent, but talent none the less. Of course, they could have just kept Pau Gasol and perhaps avoided what I forsee as an inevitable on court bloodbath between Iverson and Randolph that will put the Palace brawl to shame.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #21
sefant77
Guru

That Grizz now are a lot like that old Clippers from 1998+
Old 09-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #22
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

the grizzlies will be fun to watch this year.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #23
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Allen Iverson is already unhappy with his role in Memphis.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...le_in_memphis/

He made his season debut on Monday after missing time with a hamstring injury.

Iverson played 18 minutes in the team's overtime loss to the Kings, scoring 11 points.

"I had no problems (with the hamstring). I had a problem with my butt sitting on that bench for so long," Iverson told the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

When a reporter suggested that the Grizzlies' bench needed Iverson's scoring punch, he disagreed.

"No. I'm not a bench player. I'm not a sixth man," Iverson added. 'Look at my resume and that'll show I'm not a sixth man. I don't think it has anything to do with me being selfish. It's just who I am. I don't want to change what gave me all the success that I've had since I've been in this league. I'm not a sixth man. And that's that."
Wow.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #24
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

That was quick...
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #25
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

The idea that he's a sixth man is an insult to Jason Terry. The idea that he's a starter is an insult to anyone that watches basketball.

That dumb bitch needs to get out of the league already.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #26
AO41
Platinum Member

I think Iverson needs to realize that he has to accept being a sixth man at some point. Mann If Wallace is doing it and if Terry and Jamison did it then he needs to as well. Hopefully he will because he can still be a good spark off the bench.

Speaking of the Grizz, man Randolph is putting up some crazy numbers

and anyone feeling Gay next summer??? hehe since he didnt extend
Old 11-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I think AI is the most talented sportsman to ever make a case for youth in Asia.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #28
sefant77
Guru

I cant believe the Grizz were so stupid (ok, they always are) that they didnt talk with AI about a bench role BEFORE they signed him when they had allready Conley and Mayo.

Thats so incredible stupid....

Iverson is next year in europe, bet on it. Maybe he get lucky and a starter goes down for a whole year end of this season. Then he get maybe another 1 year MLE...

Last edited by sefant77; 11-04-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #29
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Iverson is next year in europe, bet on it.
Iverson will accept nothing less than starting for an NBA team. Any NBA team with a fragment of dignity would never sign him, let alone start him.

That's why he needs to take him dumb arse to the retirement home.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #30
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I think AI is the most talented sportsman to ever make a case for youth in Asia.
if you were trying to be funny, you fell terribly flat.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #31
sefant77
Guru

Next part. Wow, im so happy we never touched him. And of course he never won shi.t with any team...

Quote:
"I'm not trying to figure out how to contribute to no team," Iverson said. "I contribute to a team by just playing. That's it. I don't have to figure it out. Obviously, they signed me for a reason. They've been watching me play this game for 13 years, and they know what I do on the basketball court, so I don't have to figure out how I'm going to play or anything like that. I just go out and play basketball."

Last edited by sefant77; 11-07-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #32
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

Jon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to all

AI granted permission to take a indefinite leave

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/07/i...ave/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA.com
MEMPHIS (NBA.com exclusive) -- After bemoaning his back-up role with the Memphis Grizzlies, veteran guard Allen Iverson left the team Saturday following a meeting with the team's owner and Coach Lionel Hollins.

Memphis owner Michael Heisley gave the four-time NBA scoring leader permission to skip the Grizzlies' game Saturday night against the Los Angeles Clippers.

According to a team spokesman, Iverson participated in a walkthrough at the team's hotel in the morning and then hopped a flight in the afternoon after he and personal manager Gary Moore met with Heisley.

Iverson, a former NBA rookie of the year and league MVP, played Friday night in a 114-98 loss to the Lakers, scoring eight points in 22 minutes. He had come off the bench in the previous two games after sitting out the first three with a hamstring injury.

Iverson, who signed a one-year contract with Memphis in September after a tumultuous stint last season in Detroit, has been open about his displeasure with his reserve role. On Friday, he also told reporters he also wasn't communicating with Hollins, who was hired last January to replace Marc Iavaroni.

"I think that's probably the worst part of all this," Iverson said after the loss to the Lakers. "That while all this is going on, we have never talked to each other. That's probably why it's at this point right now. We've just never had a conversation, so it's probably going to always be hard for me and him to see eye-to-eye, because we've never even talked to each other. Obviously that's what you do if you're trying to accomplish the same goal."

When asked before Saturday's game to respond, Hollins bluntly: "If Allen wants to talk to me, my door is open. I talk to him during the game before the game and after the game.

"I understand star power, and that's to be expected," Hollins added. "I wouldn't mind even talking about Allen's star power if it was about the game and his performance during the game, versus what Allen has said and what he will or won't do."

Hollins said third-year player Marcus Williams would likely assume Iverson's minutes during his absence.

Last edited by Jon Avalon; 11-07-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Jon Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #33
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

well that didn't take very long.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #34
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

I guarantee this a-hole will end up on a contending team, and behave himself this year.
If we don't end up with him the Celtics will.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #35
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
I guarantee this a-hole will end up on a contending team, and behave himself this year.
That's not going to happen. See my previous post.

He's not good enough to start for the Grizzlies, so he definitely won't start for anyone decent. Therefore, he'll find excuses not to play at all, which is what just happened.

He's not frustrated because he's losing; he's frustrated because he's not allowed to be the full-fledged dumbass washed-up ball hog he wants to be in Memphis. If he can't get the playing time he wants in Memphis, what makes you think he would want to be a Celtic? (and why the f*** would a team like that want him???)

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 11-07-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #36
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
That's not going to happen. See my previous post.

He's not good enough to start for the Grizzlies, so he definitely won't start for anyone decent. Therefore, he'll find excuses not to play at all, which is what just happened.

He's not frustrated because he's losing; he's frustrated because he's not allowed to be the full-fledged dumbass washed-up ball hog he wants to be in Memphis. If he can't get the playing time he wants in Memphis, what makes you think he would want to be a Celtic? (and why the f*** would a team like that want him???)
One word.

Marburry
Old 11-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #37
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

What a dumb signing. Almost as bad as a hypothetical Iverson signing.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #38
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
No playoff team touched him this summer for little money. U think his crap now in Memphis will change that? He has europa written all over his head. But if he goes on like that it will probably be more china or eating vaseline on justin.tv...

Tags
clown circus