Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #481
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

They really had me going there. They just flat out told us to our face that Charlie was going to die, and then they killed him. So it seemed like they meant business when Desmond was thinking he was going to die. I didn't think they were kidding for a second. But I'm glad they saved him...err...I think they did.

I thought this:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_pG1kU-zfuxM/...capture-14.jpg

Was really cool. Daniel knew for 8 years that he would be going to the island.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #482
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
Are you the one that "fled the scene" or was the post already in the road?
Haha, the post was already in the road. That article isn't really correct (three cars were hit, not including the person who drove off originally), and a man certainly got hurt. He was the first one to hit it. Both of his left tires exploded and his rims were completely destroyed. He stopped his car and walked over to see what did it, when a semi struck the post and it flipped around and hit him in the back of the leg, knocking him against the guard rail. A lady, after that, hit it, and stopped her car and (for some god-knows-what reason) turned off her lights, and then I saw her and swerved to avoid hitting her car which was halfway in the highway and hit some part of it (still not sure what) and my front tire exploded, rim got messed up a little, and no telling what underneath.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #483
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Taken from a recap of Season 1, Episode 10 - Raised by Another:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised by Another recap
Claire wakes to the sound of a baby crying, opens her eyes and looks down to find that she's no longer pregnant. She follows the cries to find Locke, sitting at a desk in the middle of the jungle. He relays a cryptic message to Claire - "He was your responsibility, but you gave him away. Everyone pays the price now." Then he looks up and Claire sees that one eye is light and the other dark. She runs away and stumbles upon a baby's crib, above which hangs a mobile with miniature Oceanic planes spinning in a circle. Claire reaches down to pick up the crying baby but the crib is empty. She peels back the white blankets to discover her hands are covered in blood. Claire screams. A hand falls on her shoulder, she turns and wakes again to find Charlie, who tells her that she's having a nightmare. But his concern grows when he sees blood on her hands.....
So was Claire having the time lapse thing going on? And Aaron became her constant? Also, Locke's comments are intriguing and proof that this whole shebang was planned from the get go.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #484
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Another interesting tidbit.... Desmond's pre-boat crash timeline:

Engaged to be married, gets drunk, winds up in monastery.
Thrown out of monastery, meets Penny.
Lives with Penny in London.
Plans to marry Penny, decides against it after talking to Charles Widmore (plus being
influenced by Mrs. Hawking, in his lucid flashback)
Takes picture just before the break-up
Joins army
Takes 2-day leave to visit Faraday. Talks to Charles Widmore to get Penny's
address. Sees Penny and gets her number.
[SOMETHING DIRE HAPPENS WHILE HE'S IN THE ARMY]
Thrown into prison. Penny writes note and puts it in Our Mutual Friend.
Released from prison, finds out Charles intercepted letters, Penny getting married.
Decides to win boat race to prove his worth.
Meets Libby, gets boat.
Sees Penny at stadium. Meets Jack in stadium.
Sails around world, crashes on island.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #485
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

holy crap! what an aweosme episode! i am totally un-shunning myself henceforth. i watched it twice last night.

1. was that the episode with the fewest "on-island" scenes? i had to think for a minute if they showed the island at all.
2. they really packed a lot of storyline into 60-minutes- rather seamlessly.
3. how many new characters did we get introduced to on the boat? 3?
4. who is the "captain?"
5. i feel weird saying this, but what better opportunity, i am ALSO from the future. and (i cant mention names- but you know who you are) 2 d-m board members gay romance will be front page news very soon. So, Sike and U2 brace yourselves. Oops!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #486
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So on the subject of this Minkowski fellow.... he knew Desmonds name when he heard it. So... either Desmond is going to go through this again, and meet him. Or...Minkowski forced his past self to meet desmond before he died...or Minkowski was told about Desmond before hand by Daniel?

I really have no plausible explanations for how he could know of Desmond.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #487
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

p.s. my sawyer nickname is "stork" which is kinda dumb.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #488
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
So on the subject of this Minkowski fellow.... he knew Desmonds name when he heard it. So... either Desmond is going to go through this again, and meet him. Or...Minkowski forced his past self to meet desmond before he died...or Minkowski was told about Desmond before hand by Daniel?

I really have no plausible explanations for how he could know of Desmond.
Minkowski said Penny had been contacting the boat asking about Desmond.... That's how.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #489
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

The "family of the seller" of the journal from the Black Rock's first mate.... Tovar(sp?) HANSO!!!!!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #490
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Minkowski said Penny had been contacting the boat asking about Desmond.... That's how.
Dangit.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #491
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
The "family of the seller" of the journal from the Black Rock's first mate.... Tovar(sp?) HANSO!!!!!!!
How would they get the dang thing?

Magnus Hanso, the captain of the Black Rock was supposedly (http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Magnus_Hanso) on board the black rock when it...err...crashed? on the island.

For further reading on the Hanso foundation, not yet introduced in the show (I wonder if it is Canon?) http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Hanso_Foundation
Old 02-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #492
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Just finished watching it for the 2nd time. Don't know what I was thinking last night. I was still bitter about the game I guess. That was a fantastic episode.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #493
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
How would they get the dang thing?

Magnus Hanso, the captain of the Black Rock was supposedly (http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Magnus_Hanso) on board the black rock when it...err...crashed? on the island.

For further reading on the Hanso foundation, not yet introduced in the show (I wonder if it is Canon?) http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Hanso_Foundation
Hanso foundation has been introduced. In Season 2.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 02-29-2008 at 02:03 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #494
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Alvar Hanso was the Dharma Initiative financier/founder, right?
Old 02-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #495
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Correct. I listened to that a couple of times though and he doesn't say Alvar. Well..... it sounds like a T is the first letter.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #496
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Tovard Hanso..... I'm sure of it.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #497
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Confirmed

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Tovard_Hanso

Is the member of the family selling the journal. The journal belonged to the 1st mate on the black rock. Still curious as to how it got off island, and into the hands of the Hanso foundation.

I guess the DHARMA folks could've passed it along.

Or Ben is some double secret Hanso DHARMA OTHERS agent guy.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #498
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Right... he said it was found in Madagascar. Eko was from Nigeria..... I realize Madagascar is an Island off of Africa but could there be a connection? Not to Eko, but maybe something to do with that region?
Old 02-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #499
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Default Vile Vortices...

Polar Bear skeleton, Eko's brothers plane: North Africa vortex

Hanso diary : Madagascar vortex

Island : Pacific vortex near australia

Caribbean vortex: Juliet left from Miami?

Indian Ocean vortex: They were looking for the black rock there, when they found the (fake?) 815 plane.

Antarctic vortex: Sike's secret lair?

I'm really starting to think they're screwing with us. This is probably a coincidence. But come on...It was found in Madagascar???

Last edited by Flacolaco; 02-29-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #500
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Indian Ocean vortex: They were looking for the black rock there, when they found the (fake?) 815 plane.
They were searching for the Black Rock? Is that a spoiler or was that stated in the show and I'm not recalling it.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #501
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
They were searching for the Black Rock? Is that a spoiler or was that stated in the show and I'm not recalling it.
It was in the Find815.com game.

The whole game, the main character guy thought he was searching for the black rock, and had obtained all of these coordinates and shady documents that led them to the trench. But they found 815 instead.

more thoughts:

We are ignoring why Whidmore wanted that journal. They go out of their way to say that the journals contents are not known to anyone outside the family (the family of the guy that funded the DHARMA initiative). Does the journal say something about the island? Why does Whidmore want to pay so much for it? Does he have something to do with the fake plane? or DHARMA? or is he "The Economist"? He's up to something. I wonder if he's at odds with his daughter....

It just keeps getting deeper.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 02-29-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #502
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Awesome nerd alert:

Quote:
The series finale of Star Trek The Next Generation features Captain Picard in three different timelines. He becomes unstuck in time, like Desmond and Billy Pilgrim. As he bounces back and forth, he becomes aware of a temporal anomaly in all three timelines. In essence, this anomaly is The Constant. Only when he identifies the constant and directly contacts it is he able to stay in one timeline, ignorant of his future. Also, Desmond's trip to contact Daniel at Oxford is reminiscent of Picard's trip to visit Data at Cambridge. Damon Lindelof confirmed that "All Good Things" was a big influence in writing "The Constant" here.
http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/The_Constant
Old 02-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #503
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Antarctic vortex: Sike's secret lair?
End of season 2. Weird Portuguese speaking guys who call Penny.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #504
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
They offered true proof this episode, with the calendar and penney standing in front of the xmas tree....Time is not moving any faster in the real world than on the island, and vice versa.
Didn't Daniel say something to the effect of "It hasn't been as long as you think?"
Old 03-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #505
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, U2, I heard "tovar" as well, I was just looking for confirmation on the other hanso's first name (alvar).

I love that flac is all about the vile vortices! I am, too! And so far, there's something to match up with each one (good catch on the Antarctica one, kiro).
So here's a question - how was the timeline working in this episode? were the 1996 and 2004 timelines running in parallel, so that when a change was made in 1996, it only then had an effect on 2004? Were daniel's motives in helping Desmond selfish? Knowing that if he sent Desmond to himself, that would provide Daniel with the constant he needed in case something went wrong?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #506
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

so is the "Mad Disease" the disease that killed off all of Russo's friends? was Russo affected and if so who was her constant? how come no one on flight 815 was affected?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #507
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
so is the "Mad Disease" the disease that killed off all of Russo's friends? was Russo affected and if so who was her constant? how come no one on flight 815 was affected?
Maybe because you have to enter and leave? I'm not sure.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #508
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

When the door to the sick bay opened mysteriously, Minkowski said they seem to " have a friend on this boat"

Michael?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #509
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Maybe.... I thought it was pilot dude. But who knows?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #510
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

lol I didn't even think of him. I forgot about that guy already.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #511
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

michael? i think that's a real possibility -- the pilot is the guy we're supposed to think is their friend, but.....

as for daniel knowing years ago that he was going to end up on the island, I think this explains his intense fear at the beginning of the season premiere -- he knew, from his time hopping stuff, that some bad stuff was headed his way but his mind was too addled and confused to know exactly why.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #512
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I think Dan has the ability to "mind travel" but also loses part of his memory after he returns to present time. This would explain:

1) Dan's journal explaining that DESMOND will be his constant if anything happens.

2) Dan NOT knowing why he was crying when watching the discovery of Flight 815.

3) Dan finding it hard to remember the three cards that Charlotte was flipping over for him. (If he had mind traveled to the brief future to see what the cards were when flipped over, and then returned to the present to quiz himself)

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 03-05-2008 at 02:08 PM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #513
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
1) Dan's journal explaining that Sayid will be his constant if anything happens.
desmond, bruthah.

those are all good points. i forgot about the card game.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #514
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I'm thinking that Whidmore had something to do with Naomi getting that photograph of Penny and Desmond. I wonder if at some point we will be seeing Mr. Whidmore in real time....or even flash forward time.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #515
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
I think Dan has the ability to "mind travel" but also loses part of his memory after he returns to present time. This would explain:

1) Dan's journal explaining that Sayid will be his constant if anything happens.

2) Dan knowing why he was crying when watching the discovery of Flight 815.

3) Dan finding it hard to remember the three cards that Charlotte was flipping over for him. (If he had mind traveled to the brief future to see what the cards were when flipped over, and then returned to the present to quiz himself)
did I miss something? I have no idea what or who you are talking about.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #516
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Dan is Daniel Faraday the anthropologist. The one that Desmond goes to see in his time travel. The keeper of Eloise. The first of the new characters we met this year.

edit: But I think Daniel DIDN'T know why he was crying....

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-05-2008 at 12:42 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #517
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Desmond was the constant for Daniel.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #518
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

2) Dan knowing why he was crying when watching the discovery of Flight 815.

I am still in the belief that this scene was a flash-forward.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #519
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dan is Daniel Faraday the anthropologist. The one that Desmond goes to see in his time travel. The keeper of Eloise. The first of the new characters we met this year.

edit: But I think Daniel DIDN'T know why he was crying....
i thought charlotte was the anthropologist...
Old 03-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #520
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERXES
i thought charlotte was the anthropologist...
she is.

Let's shun u2.