Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 6m Kobe Bryant has a probable torn Achilles

MRI tomorrow.

He would sit out an entire year.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Age is probably catching up with him. Never liked him, but wish him a quick recovery.

If he didn't play next season, would that make hour chances of getting Dwight better or worse?

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

can you amnesty a player that is injured?

He is on the books for $30,453,000 next year.

Don't like a lot of he things he stands for - but I love his competitiveness. The guy is an assassin on the court. Although I remember that the Black Mamba was beaten more than a few times by the German Mongoose.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
can you amnesty a player that is injured?

He is on the books for $30,453,000 next year.

Don't like a lot of he things he stands for - but I love his competitiveness. The guy is an assassin on the court. Although I remember that the Black Mamba was beaten more than a few times by the German Mongoose.

Yup. The only thing that would hold them back from doing it would be losing his Bird Rights. That would be huge.

Worth noting: The Lakers would save about $80M next season if they waived Kobe.

Last edited by spreedom; 04-13-2013 at 09:59 AM.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Man, as much as I have a dislike for Kobe when he plays the Mavs or when we are battling for seeding and in the playoffs, this is no good for the game. Kobe is a generational player and you have to respect how good he is and for how long he has done it. When I saw the stat line that he was playing over 41 minutes a game for 6 straight...I don't think anyone should be abusing the body that long and hard. I know they needed it for their playoff stretch, but look where they are now. Don't mess around with the physicality of NBA caliber basketball and your body, something was bound to happen. Hell, the highlights showed he almost had a full-blown knee injury and was hobbling at other parts before the Achilles injury occurred.

On another note, one that affects the Mavs, this could be huge in terms of the landscape of the West next season. Dwight could very easily leave now. Kobe will be out for most of next season (9-12 month recovery, if not more). It will be interesting to see how the Lakers handle this as they are playing with luxury tax hell while their best player, and highest paid, will not be contributing.

Last edited by saclare; 04-13-2013 at 09:25 AM.
saclare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

The whole injury is just an act to get Dwight to stay in LA and carry the team. Like finding out the girl you are about to break up with has cancer. It just isnt kosher to do it.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
.... When I saw the stat line that he was playing over 41 minutes a game for 6 straight...I don't think anyone should be abusing the body that long and hard. I know they needed it for their playoff stretch, but look where they are now. ...
Think you gotta give some credit to D'Antoni here. True, they've had some injuries, but the short rotation is his hallmark. D'Antoni is one of the worst player managers I've ever seen. He should not be in the NBA. Play for him only if you want a shortened career. Stoudemire, Exhibit A.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 04-13-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
Think you gotta give some credit to D'Antoni here. True, they've had some injuries, but the short rotation is his hallmark. D'Antoni is one of the worst player managers I've ever seen. He should not be in the NBA. Play for him only if you want a shortened career. Stoudemire, Exhibit A.
Good post. I feel similarly about Thibodeau, who I think is probably 2nd or 3rd best coach in the league. Love the competitiveness of playing balls out night in night out, but some of these guys are terrible when it comes to seeing the bigger picture. Thibs runs his players into the ground and leaving Rose in that game last year was pretty dumb. Reminded me of Belichek playing Welker in the meaningless game in which he proceeded to tear his ACL.

Ive long hated Kobe with a passion but hate to see this happen to him. Definitely respect the dude's drive and work ethic.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how Kobe's injury effects the competitive landscape. They were certainly not going to make it out of the second round this year for year three in a row.
If they kept dantoni they were not going anywhere.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I personally hate yellow and purple, Kobe's a true competitor and you gotta feel sorry.

Could change the dynamics slightly or even drastic in the offseason. Intriguing...
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

No, you don't have to feel sorry for the guy. I don't.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
No, you don't have to feel sorry for the guy. I don't.

Wow.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Injuries suck, but I don't feel sorry for him either. Kobe has had a great career so there is nothing really to feel sorry about.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure Murph was coming from the rape angle. When you think about it, how sick are all of us? Giving respect to a rapist. Makes you stop and think.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I'm pretty sure Murph was coming from the rape angle. When you think about it, how sick are all of us? Giving respect to a rapist. Makes you stop and think.
Point well taken.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Ok...let's stop and think about this. The rape was an allegation. One that included the accuser refusing to testify under oath. Call it what you want but I'm not bringing out the pitchfork and torches. Too many instances nowadays where women abuse the right of consensual relations. It sucks because it tarnishes both the accused and all other women, specifically those who truly go through the hideous acts of sexual assault. I never side with any party, but rather look at the case from a faraway view. From that distance, it was a pretty fishy then, and still is now.

That being said, in support of innocent until proven guilty, I don't like Kobe because of this incident. He put himself in the situation. Let's also not forget that this was an act of cheating on his wife. Another act that gets so seriously ignored it is pathetic. Example being the fact that Rick Pitino admitting to cheating and paying for an abortion is all of the sudden forgiven now with a National Championship. Ok, probably not forgiven by most, but certainly forgotten by most.
saclare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
spreedom
Diamond Member

I don't consider Kobe a rapist because he wasn't convicted. And if there was absolutely no case because the accuser wouldn't testify, I tend to believe that the accusation isn't true. Yeah he cheated on his wife, but I honestly barely care about that. That's a private matter for Kobe and his family. Besides, I feel like most professional athletes are probably habitual cheaters.