Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #361
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Aw! Looch was one of my favorites. :\ Good thing we're getting pitching back. Who has a scouting report on Tejada?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7537

Jake Blalock... Hank's little bro, right?
Old 04-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #362
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe you are correct on Blalcok ames.

I liked Looch too. Hate to see him go.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #363
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Losing Dellucci might be a blow to the locker room more than anything else. Very popular player & a big leader on the team. Hope he gets the opportunities he deserves on Philly.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=tex

According to TR Sullivan, it will be Wilkerson in left, Nix in center and Mench in right. Adrian Brown is the new 4th OF. Somehow, I don't think this outfield will be striking fear into other teams' hearts.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #364
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I think you underestimate Wilkerson and Mench Ames. Sure, Nix is mostly a injury-prone bum, but if he can stay 85% healthy this year and hold down the fort until GMJ gets back I think we will be fine. We put up a ton of runs and losing Dellucci won't hurt us that much in that area!

On a positive note, we lost a fat unmotivated soon to be 26 year old with great stuff to the As and get an in-shape motivated 24 year old with better stuff to take his place, (although I am not a fan of his GB/FB ratio). When Eaton gets back our 5-man rotation is SET until one or more of DVD is ready! Not a bad move at all!!! It is a shame it required David, but I still think this is a very positive move!

To be honest, I am almost happy that Eaton got hurt now. It will make us stronger in the long run and might get Botts up to Arlington that much faster. I would like to give him a chance to fail or succeed with the big boys and we HAD too many outfielders to do that. With Eaton now having surgery on his finger that should finally fix his problem rather than just HOPING rest will take care of it. If we can weather this early storm, the Rangers might just be sitting pretty in a few months!
Old 04-02-2006, 12:46 AM   #365
ames7
Diamond Member

I know Wilkerson & Mench & even Nix if he's healthy are capable of producing, I just don't think we can feel great about our depth, is all.

A good sign... a lot of the fans on the Philly boards hate this trade. They think Tejeda has a lot of potential. Early impression is this is a pretty good trade for us.

edit: Tejeda will initially be optioned to OKC, Koronka will throw his scheduled simulated game tomorrow & will start out as the 5th starter, but Daniels says they want to get Tejeda up ASAP.

Last edited by ames7; 04-02-2006 at 01:21 AM.
ames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:30 AM   #366
ames7
Diamond Member

Oh, also, in other Rangers news:
-Eaton is opting for surgery, prognosis is still 3 months.
-Alfonseca, Brown, Jimenez all make the roster.
-"The Eraser" Ramirez is DFA-ed. I'm pretty surprised, but also pretty delighted b/c this means Scott Feldman has likely made the bullpen!! YAY!
Old 04-02-2006, 01:46 AM   #367
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
I know Wilkerson & Mench & even Nix if he's healthy are capable of producing, I just don't think we can feel great about our depth, is all.

A good sign... a lot of the fans on the Philly boards hate this trade. They think Tejeda has a lot of potential. Early impression is this is a pretty good trade for us.

edit: Tejeda will initially be optioned to OKC, Koronka will throw his scheduled simulated game tomorrow & will start out as the 5th starter, but Daniels says they want to get Tejeda up ASAP.
Of course Philly hates this trade... Tejada has really good stuff and is 24 and they traded him for a 32 year old outfielder who can't hit lefties to save his life. At least he hits as many homers away as he did at Ameriquest. Don't get me wrong, Dellucci brings a lot more to the plate than his poor batting average and solo home runs. He is a great clubhouse guy and a great competitor. He will be missed, but this was a no brainer for a team needing pitching!
Old 04-02-2006, 02:39 AM   #368
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

anyone got a status on frankie francisco? i've been trying to keep up with the rangers, but haven't heard much bout him. is he still hurt from his surgery?

is it something we did or are they just jealous?
jly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:49 AM   #369
ames7
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jly
anyone got a status on frankie francisco? i've been trying to keep up with the rangers, but haven't heard much bout him. is he still hurt from his surgery?
Frankie is still rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, which will keep him out probably until at least the All Star break. Brian Anderson is another guy who might help later this season.

Official opening day roster here:
http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=tex

Pitchers (12): Antonio Alfonseca, Joaquin Benoit, Fabio Castro, Francisco Cordero, R.A. Dickey, Scott Feldman, John Koronka, Kameron Loe, Kevin Millwood, Akinori Otsuka, Vicente Padilla, Brian Shouse.

Catchers (2): Rod Barajas and Gerald Laird.

Infielders (7): Hank Blalock, Mark DeRosa, D'Angelo Jimenez, Ian Kinsler, Phil Nevin, Mark Teixeira and Michael Young.

Outfielders (4): Adrian Brown, Kevin Mench, Laynce Nix and Brad Wilkerson.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:58 AM   #370
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Now THAT'S the kind of trade I'm talking about! Great trade. Dellucci was on fire to start the season last year, but his second half was pretty much in line for what he was for most of his career, a 4th outfielder. We sold high with him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #371
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if Jake blalock is any good? I like to pride myself on knowing good prospects around baseball and i have no clue if he is good or not. I knew he was hanks little brother but no clue on his prospect status. For those that liked juandom you will LOVE Tejeda. He has GREAT stuff.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:14 AM   #372
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Unless Koronka REALLY flourishes in the first 10 days, I guarantee you Tejada will be in that #5 spot real quick! The wheels have been repaired baby - no longer coming off!

Millwood
Eaton
Padilla
Loe
Tejada

VERY nice! It has been a long time since we can say we could throw out quality pitchers that we trust won't give up 6 runs in the first 4 innings EVERY start! If only Adam didn't get hurt! Sigh!

Eh well, I guess we have to watch ol Dickey struggle for a while. Maybe he can be magical like he was the first half of the year two years ago.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #373
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

ooops..he did make it.

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-02-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #374
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

thanks for the info ames7

just a random question. anyone going to opening day!?!?

Old 04-02-2006, 01:01 PM   #375
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't decided yet..I have tickets, but there's a few other things going on that are a bit more important. If I can get one of them knocked out in time, I will go. If not, I won't.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:12 PM   #376
jly
Dirk for MVP

i can't wait. this is gonna be my 4th opening day in a row. hopefully we can get this season starting off right, despite our injuries.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #377
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Anyone know if Jake blalock is any good? I like to pride myself on knowing good prospects around baseball and i have no clue if he is good or not. I knew he was hanks little brother but no clue on his prospect status. For those that liked juandom you will LOVE Tejeda. He has GREAT stuff.
He's essentially a fringe prospect. Newberg said he has work to do to prove he still has every day player potential.

Hindman seems to think he's ready to take a big step and re-establish himself as a quality prospect.

Still, we're very thin in outfield prospects, so every one helps.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-02-2006 at 04:28 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #378
ames7
Diamond Member

It seems J Blalock has greatly improved in one significant area, strikeouts, which is obviously encouraging, but apparently he has disappointed in terms of power, which I've seen described in a couple of places as "raw potential." I guess we will see soon enough if he is a legit prospect w/how he adapts to double-A.

To anyone who has seen Tejeda pitch (I don't remember it if I have), is there a concern that he is a flyball pitcher? I've heard he was lucky to have given up so few HRs last year, but Philly is about as bad a hitter's park as TBIA, right?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #379
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Its actually worse as far as giving up homers. He shut down the rangers among others last year. He has good stuff. He should be fine.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #380
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

John Daniels is a great general manager. He saw what we needed and went out and got it. He traded for I think 4 pitchers over the weekend. wow. good job.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:56 AM   #381
Five-ofan
Guru

i think daniels is good but just trading for 4 pitchers isnt necesarrily a good thing.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:00 AM   #382
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"Adrian Brown is the new 4th OF."

GMJ?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #383
Drbio
Banned

GMJ=rehab stint in Oklahoma
Old 04-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #384
Drbio
Banned

The first trades had been agreed to before Eaton got hurt. Otherwise they might not have been made. (according to Newberg)
Old 04-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #385
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
The first trades had been agreed to before Eaton got hurt. Otherwise they might not have been made. (according to Newberg)
It's good that Daniels can see into the future.

good to have you back Doc. Hope this fish didn't bite your ***** off.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:41 AM   #386
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Let's hope and pray that by the All Star break we are in the mix of things and then get Eaton back and Roger finally makes up his mind and comes to the Rangers.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #387
Drbio
Banned

We tore 'em up.

65 flounder
44 speckled trout
28 black drum
11 reds

The cooler is damn full.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #388
ames7
Diamond Member

We are underway w/a 1-2-3 first from Millwood. Someone gonna start a season thread? I would, but I haven't had the best luck w/those.

Good to have baseball back.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #389
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

pitcher's duel??

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #390
sike
The Preacha

the rangers have been consistantly behind Schiling's fastball today.....

Old 04-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #391
sike
The Preacha

Ian gets the first hit of the season.....I love it!!!

Old 04-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #392
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

ummm, were all over on the other thread. haha.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:06 PM   #393
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Juan Dominguez went from the likely No. 5 starter to a member of the Oakland A's in a three-team trade that brought lefty John Koronka to the Rangers from the Cubs.
JK has been good so far. Juan has not made an appearance this year (to my knowledge).
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #394
Drbio
Banned

I'll take an 8-3 win every day.

Nice to Kronk get to 3-1 and he did so by defeating local Waco kid Fossum.