Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-24-2006, 11:26 PM   #481
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

well before this season started we could've compared him to Grossman.

6 career INTs

5 Career TDs

ratio seems about right, going forward for Romo and his awesome o-line

of course Grossman has picked it up a little this season....bringing his career numbers to 13 INTs and 14 TDs.....smoking
Old 10-24-2006, 11:33 PM   #482
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember the good ole' days when we would talk about TO?

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:35 PM   #483
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Remember the good ole' days when we would talk about TO?

say word, son!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:47 PM   #484
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Chum...I've watched Parcells and my general impression is that he expects his quarterback to not lose games. He wants to win with defense and field position. As I believe I've posted earlier this is a smart way to do it, in that you don't have to go out and find a franchise quarterback.

I surely HOPE that Parcells sees something in Romo, becuase what I see right now is a season going down the tubes. If the defense were actually playing as well as it should be with 4 straight years of defensive acquisitions then bledsoe would probably still be the qb and the cowboys would be +2 in wins.

Of course it's not impossible for Romo to come in and be the next bret favre, but to think he will come in and not lose games is naive imo. He's already on pace to throw 6*9 picks.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:06 AM   #485
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

and over 4400 yeards and 40 TDs...

sigh... fun with numbers...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 10-25-2006 at 12:06 AM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:16 AM   #486
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Chum...I've watched Parcells and my general impression is that he expects his quarterback to not lose games. He wants to win with defense and field position.
I think that's a vestige of the Q-Star era. In many games Parcells just wanted Quincy to drive the bus. But he also unleashed the guy on occasion. I personally am of the belief that if Quincy hadn't failed the drug test, Parcells was ready to go forward with him and be aggressive on offense. Lost in the criticism of Quincy is the fact that he was at times a freewheeling playmaker and almost singlehandedly won us a couple of games on the way to leading us to the playoffs (viz. @ NYG and CAR). I always thought that Parcells did a tremendous job of coaching Quincy that year. Sometimes the game plan would be bottled up, and sometimes it would be in full-on attack mode. I thought they had something good going.

Then he went down with the drug test, and on came Vinny. By necessity, Parcells had to change the approach. (This is the one thing about Parcells that goes mostly unnoticed and entirely underappreciated: He is well comfortable changing his offensive approach to suit his personnel.)

Of course, things didn't work that well with Vinny. And then what options did Parcells have? Well, he could have thrown Romo out there. But see, he neglected to do that. He wanted to keep that ace up his sleeve. So, without any other better option, he went and got a caretaker. Bledsoe.

A play here and there goes the other way last season, and the Cowboys make the playoffs and maybe make some noise. But the truth is that Bledsoe made some critical, game-costing mistakes.

So the Cowboys go into the offseason this year, and Parcells has this dilemma: He knows (with last year's evidence) that Bledsoe is good enough to steer the bus, but only so good. He also knows that he has an emerging stud on his hands in Romo (the team extends him). But his gut tells him that Romo is still not quite ready. My own opinion is that he doesn't want Romo to try to play sixteen games. He wanted to get him in late in games when he could. He wanted to ease him in, if he could do that. He wanted him to get his first snaps in pressure-less situations.

But the plan ALL ALONG was to pass the reins to Romo, THIS YEAR. Peter King didn't just get that from nowhere. He was saying it in the preseason. I firmly believe that it was the game plan.

I believe that Bill wanted to ride Bledsoe the Bus Driver for as long as he could, while Romo watched games and got ready to play. I kinda doubt he wanted to make that change in-game, but I think Drew forced this decision. He knew what was coming, and he tried to fight it off as well as he knew how. Hell, he may have known it was coming in THIS game. That's why he didn't throw to Witten and instead ran it in. And spiked the ball forcefully afterward. (Have you ever seen him do that before?) That's why he went against the design of the play and went to the guy (Glenn) he could trust. He was trying to make it so that Parcells couldn't bench him.

It didn't go his way, and Bill did what he was planning to do all along.

That's how I see it. Think about it. If you are Romo, why do you sign an extension to keep playing backup, when you've been in league already three years? Promises were probably made.

I think this is going according to form. This idea that the Cowboys are "punting the season" is laughable to me. There were way, way too many signs in the preseason for this to take anyone by surprise.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #487
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I think that's a vestige of the Q-Star era. In many games Parcells just wanted Quincy to drive the bus. But he also unleashed the guy on occasion. I personally am of the belief that if Quincy hadn't failed the drug test, Parcells was ready to go forward with him and be aggressive on offense. Lost in the criticism of Quincy is the fact that he was at times a freewheeling playmaker and almost singlehandedly won us a couple of games on the way to leading us to the playoffs (viz. @ NYG and CAR). I always thought that Parcells did a tremendous job of coaching Quincy that year. Sometimes the game plan would be bottled up, and sometimes it would be in full-on attack mode. I thought they had something good going.
Good point about Quincy. I still can't believe that guy qb'd us to the playoffs with Troy Hambrick as his running back. No threat at all in the running game and Quincy could also throw the deep ball very well. I still remember his 17td/21int season but Parcells on occasion use to let Quincy gamble a lot. A lot of success came from that. Not to mention the guy could avoid a sack. Not by any means saying Quincy would've been pro bowl but out of all the qb's here who are so called "Parcells guys" Quincy is the one who showed the most progress with him. Probably because the guy had great work ethic.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #488
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Two quick updates:

Parcells officially said that Romo would start next Sunday in his press conference today.

Also, Bledsoe is holding a press conference at 2:15 today. The immediate thought would obviously be that he's retiring, but Bill certainly didn't sound like he thought he would during his own press conference.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #489
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Bill seemed fairly certain that Drew would "take care of his business".

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #490
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Bill seemed fairly certain that Drew would "take care of his business".
Yeah, but I also don't understand why Drew would hold a press conference for any other reason.

Really weird.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-25-2006, 02:03 PM   #491
sike
The Preacha

"I just wanted to say that I'm not leaving"....huh?

yeah..it is odd.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:25 PM   #492
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Well, he said he's staying, said he's going to support Tony.

Said he'd prepare every game as if he was playing, and be ready to win a game if called upon.

He answered all the questions openly and honestly.

He's just a good dude. I hope he gets a chance to play again, somewhere.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-25-2006, 02:29 PM   #493
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
He's just a good dude. I hope he gets a chance to play again, somewhere.
Preach.

He says the right things and seems like a standup guy - I don't hate the player, just hate his game.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #494
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
I don't hate the player, just hate his game.
I hate his game in combination with this line

plus, I always knew cap was a hata.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #495
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
I always knew cap was a hata.
Sike what can I say about your signature that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan? It looks bombed out and depleted.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:24 PM   #496
sike
The Preacha

I'm confused by that comment...

Go Cowboys!

Old 10-25-2006, 06:35 PM   #497
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Romo will be Cowboys starter Sunday at Carolina

By STEPHEN HAWKINS, AP Sports Writer
October 25, 2006

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Drew Bledsoe knew his interception near the goal line just before halftime was a horrible play. He never thought it might be the last pass he'd throw for the Dallas Cowboys.

Bledsoe's demotion became official Wednesday when Bill Parcells said Tony Romo, who took over at quarterback in the second half Monday night, will make his first career start Sunday night at Carolina.

"It's a very, very disappointing situation for me, but I can't go back and change it," said Bledsoe, in his 14th season. "Obviously, I would like to be the guy still, and I really in my heart of hearts believe that I give us the best chance to win."

Parcells doesn't think so anymore, and is doing something he rarely has done -- changing quarterbacks in midseason. The coach often has been loyal to veteran quarterbacks, including 41-year-old Vinny Testaverde through a 6-10 Cowboys season two years ago.

But, this time, Parcells is benching the player he drafted No. 1 for the New England Patriots in 1993.

Bledsoe's critical interception in a 36-22 loss to the New York Giants came when the Cowboys (3-3) had a chance to take the lead in a game to determine first place in the NFC East. Bledsoe already had been sacked four times, once for a safety.

Romo threw three interceptions, one on his first play and another returned 96 yards for a touchdown. But he still showed he could be effective. Romo scrambled and completed 14 of 25 passes for 227 yards and two touchdowns, and flashed more footwork running for a 2-point conversion.

"Deep down, I feel like Tony is a different kind of quarterback than Bledsoe," Parcells said. "And, maybe, we might be able to put some of those abilities to work. ... Maybe we can alter our circumstances for the better."

A fourth-year pro undrafted out of Division I-AA Eastern Illinois, Romo never had thrown a pass before this season. His only two passes before Monday were a pair of completions in the previous game, with a TD to Terrell Owens in the closing minutes of a 34-6 victory over the Houston Texans.

Romo will be the ninth starting quarterback for the Cowboys since Hall of Famer Troy Aikman retired after the 2001 season. Romo didn't appear in the locker room Wednesday.

"Any time you do something like this, it's not without a lot of consideration," Parcells said. "I've been thinking about it for some time. ... Hopefully, maybe as the team is comprised right now, he might be able to do a couple of things that assist us."

In Dallas' three victories, Bledsoe had six touchdown passes and one interception. But those have all been against teams with losing records. Against playoff contenders Jacksonville, Philadelphia and the Giants, he has one TD and seven INTs.

Parcells told Bledsoe about his demotion during a 30-minute meeting Wednesday morning.

"It's not the way I would like to see it done, but Bill was honest with me and sat down and we had a conversation about it," said Bledsoe, who has started 193 NFL games. "I'm preparing this week as if I could be back on the field right away. Whether I see the field again, I don't know."

Bledsoe has hinted that Dallas -- and his reunion with Parcells that began last season -- will be his last NFL stop. He showed no interest in New England or Buffalo of being a mentor or an insurance policy.

"I'm sure he doesn't want to back up, but that doesn't mean you're jumping off the ship," Parcells said.

Bledsoe insisted Wednesday that he didn't consider walking away because of the demotion. He also said he would "do the right thing" for the rest of this season. He didn't say if this would be his final season.

"I'm going to continue to be a leader on this team, continue to support the team, support Tony in his job," Bledsoe said. "It's just a very new, very different and very unfamiliar role for me."

Terry Glenn, the Cowboys' leading receiver with 29 catches, said the team has confidence in Romo and likes his mobility. But it's still a difficult move personally for Glenn, who spent the first six seasons of his career in New England with Bledsoe and has become a favorite target.

"Well, you know Bledsoe is my guy. I wish things weren't going the way they are, but obviously the coaching staff sees something," Glenn said. "I'm just out here playing. I want to win. Whoever's out there, let's make plays and let's try to win."

Parcells took the unusual step in the preseason of allowing Romo to play an entire game. But Romo's only action in 20 regular-season games before this year were as a holder on kicks, and one time when he took a knee on the final drive of a game to run out the clock.

That limited game experience doesn't seem to bother Romo's teammates, who like his swagger.

"The guys believe in him," receiver Patrick Crayton said. "His mobility, man. He's an improviser sometimes when he gets out there. You kind of expect the ball to come to you on every play."

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #498
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Turn out the lights the parties over.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 PM   #499
sike
The Preacha

there were multiple parties???

Old 10-26-2006, 12:12 AM   #500
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Always!!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:14 AM   #501
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:

*the party in ESPNs pants at the beginning of the second half

*the party in Romos pants

*party in sikes pants all the time

*all party activity subject to change. Please contact the New Jersey Con-Man for official party rules
Old 10-26-2006, 12:44 AM   #502
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Come join the party here:

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showth...730#post626730

It's where it's at!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:57 AM   #503
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Sike what can I say about your signature that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan? It looks bombed out and depleted.

BOO YA!!!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:58 AM   #504
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i'd like to invite all of you to the pants party.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #505
sike
The Preacha

uh..brick... did Brian tell you to invite me to a party in your pants?

GO Romo!

Old 10-26-2006, 11:48 AM   #506
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Turn out the lights the parties over.
the parties just starting...

Whats the over/under on Bledosoe stabbing Romo's arm like that punter did in college to the starter?
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #507
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
the parties just starting...

Whats the over/under on Bledosoe stabbing Romo's arm like that punter did in college to the starter?
I don't know....I wouldn't mess with the Parcells mafia.

Hey how do you think T.O feels about not getting any of this attention? (Man I hope he doesn't try to kill himself....)
Old 10-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #508
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

I'm expecting TO to announce that he's doing a prime time reality show any day now.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #509
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Chum...I've watched Parcells and my general impression is that he expects his quarterback to not lose games. He wants to win with defense and field position. As I believe I've posted earlier this is a smart way to do it, in that you don't have to go out and find a franchise quarterback.
no doubt...in order to consistently win this way, you need a good defense and a good running game. As it stands, the Cowboys have a very average defense and an average running game, hence we might reasonably expect them to have a very average record...say, 8-n-8.

sounds about right, doesn't it?

Cheers