Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dirk to Chris Kaman: Stay positive, keep working

Dirk to Chris Kaman: Stay positive, keep working
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...e-keep-working

It’s a pretty safe bet that Chris Kaman woke up in Portland this morning with what-might-have-been thoughts on his mind.

Kaman opted to sign a one-year, $8 million deal with the Mavericks instead of accepting a similar offer from the Trail Blazers this summer. With the Mavs visiting Portland for the first time this season, the big man is dealing with the frustration and disappointment of his demotion to the bench.

While Kaman made it clear he wasn’t happy after playing a season-low 11 minutes Sunday, he didn’t want to elaborate on the subject, figuring it was better to keep his thoughts to himself instead of venting his frustration publicly.

Coach Rick Carlisle and face of the franchise Dirk Nowitzki, on the other hand, are practically publicly pleading with Kaman to be patient and professional.

“He’s just got to keep working and stay positive,” Nowitzki said. “Obviously, it’s natural to be a little frustrated with your minutes going down, but you’ve got to take that frustration out in the right direction and keep working, in practice go even harder. That’s the only way you can do it.

“Hopefully he’ll understand that. He’s been around … He’s just got to stick with it and keep working.”

Nowitzki noted that Carlisle’s rotations tend to be wildly unpredictable. It shouldn’t surprise anyone if Kaman ends up starting again this season despite his defensive struggles, particularly when paired with Nowitzki.

Carlisle certainly isn’t ruling out that scenario, saying his starting center will be decided on a game-to-game basis for the time being.

“He’s a good player and we need him,” Carlisle said. “Look, we have good, honest conversations. Sometimes there’s a difference of opinion and that’s OK. Reasonable men have a right to disagree. I make it clear to him that he’s an important guy on this team and that we need him.”

After signing him this summer, the Mavs billed Kaman as the best offensive center Dallas has had during the Dirk era. That faint praise has been accurate, with Kaman averaging 12.4 points on 50.6 percent shooting in 23.7 minutes per game.

Kaman’s offensive ability could still be key to the Mavs – perhaps especially with the second unit – if he isn’t dealt before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

“I still think sooner or later in big games, we’re going to need his scoring,” Nowitzki said. “His ability to put the ball on the floor for a big man and finish with both hands, sooner or later, we’re going to need some of that.”
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

No kidding Dirk. I didn't expect a ton, but he has been less than what I had hoped. Defensively I feel like he is as bad as anyone we have considered bad at the center position. It doesn't seem like he has the basketball fire anymore imo. Seems like a smart dood and I like him on his weekly show on the ticket1310 but on the court he doesn't look locked in.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

nm

Last edited by mavs777; 01-29-2013 at 03:00 PM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
No kidding Dirk. I didn't expect a ton, but he has been less than what I had hoped. Defensively I feel like he is as bad as anyone we have considered bad at the center position. It doesn't seem like he has the basketball fire anymore imo. Seems like a smart dood and I like him on his weekly show on the ticket1310 but on the court he doesn't look locked in.
Points per 100 possessions with players on the floor, obviously lower the better.

Elton Brand: 105.6
Bernard JamesL 106.2
Brandan Wright: 109.7
Chris Kaman: 110.4

The team outscores opponents by .6 points per 100 possessions when he is on the bench, when he is on the floor they are outscored by 6.9 points per 100 possessions this all from 82games.com
Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

http://mavericks.scout.com/2/1261651...40p0HY.twitter

db.com with some numbers on the issue. But it's significant that Collison with either duo is a disaster on +/- (with Kaman > Brand). Brand/Dirk only come out on top bc they play a lot with Roddy/Carter/the bench.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Points per 100 possessions with players on the floor, obviously lower the better.

Elton Brand: 105.6
Bernard JamesL 106.2
Brandan Wright: 109.7
Chris Kaman: 110.4

The team outscores opponents by .6 points per 100 possessions when he is on the bench, when he is on the floor they are outscored by 6.9 points per 100 possessions this all from 82games.com
I've been selling these stats for a while, mostly to advocate playing Brand and James more-- but it's telling about Kaman. His rebounding is adequate but not stellar but he mostly kills us defensively. I watch him play and he tries hard and even challenge shots, but teams have no fear of him at all and score at a crazy clip when he's on the floor.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Kaman should be a better player against bigs than he is. I understand the lack of lateral movement. Dirk has that same problem. But Dirk holds his ground against true big men. Dirk guards guys like Marc Gasol/Bynum/etc very well. And that is what Kaman should be able to do. There is no reason for him to struggle against opposing "big" men.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

at this point in Kaman's career - does his play reflect a lack of desire or declining skills?
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
at this point in Kaman's career - does his play reflect a lack of desire or declining skills?
I think it's definitely both, but that really makes a terrible combo. Maybe the only worse one imo, is the younger player with tons of raw natural ability but doesn't care, isn't disciplined, won't learn to play the right way. (M. Beasley, Devin Harris; Gerald Green types.)

I think if Kaman had the burning desire, he would be able to milk his aging/declining skills for more than he has shown. I'm probably theorizing too far into the subject but, I think if he believed he was on a championship level team, he would show more hustle and play a bit harder on both ends.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Man, i really like him but he is so god damn slow, he makes Haywood look like a guard out there...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Btw.: I like the idea of using Kaman as a scorer within the second unit. Roddy is raw and with DaJo, who I would like to see getting a regular rotation spot, the perimeter D should hide Kamans deficiencies (Roddy+DaJo in the backcourt = 96.4 DefEff). And without Dirk he would be the main post option.

Last edited by j0Shi; 01-29-2013 at 07:31 PM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Agreed
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to stay positive when you're concussed.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 AM   #14
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Hard to stay positive when you're concussed.
Fake quote: "I'm positive that I am dealing with a concussion."
Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Aggie E

Aggie E is a glorious beacon of lightAggie E is a glorious beacon of lightAggie E is a glorious beacon of lightAggie E is a glorious beacon of lightAggie E is a glorious beacon of lightAggie E is a glorious beacon of lightAggie E is a glorious beacon of light

Man if Dallas could ever trade/sign for a great defensive big man like Tyson Chandler they might be able to contend for a title...

Last edited by Aggie E; 01-30-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Aggie E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #16
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie E View Post
Man if Dallas could ever trade/sign for a great defensive big man like Tyson Chandler they might be able to contend for a title...
This team with Tyson Chandler would be contending for a title?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #17
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
This team with Tyson Chandler would be contending for a title?
We would be so much better it's not even comparable to whats going on. Title contender? Still no. Even if we brought the team back, we wouldn't have been. I think what we did, how it all came together, the people that contributed in the ways they did would be hard pressed to duplicate. They stepped up so big and that is a huge part of why the championship was special. We didn't have a juggernaut team. Everything just came together like an orchestra.

Now, We are still fishtailing at PG and SG. Really everywhere outside of Dirk, Dahntay, Carter, there is issues and where they fit in. Marion is the closest to being included in that mix because of the various things he is capable of. HE's usually good to great... until the game slows down, then he becomes an offensive liability because he can't space the floor any better than I can. :/

Chandler was the perfect center next to Dirk, imo would be better than Dwight who can potentially bring more skills than Ty. But Chandler brought the fight and intensity and fed off Dirk, they could count on each other to back each other up and Dirk always had a little more edge with him around. I get the feeling that it was hard to feel like you were gonna lose playing along side Chandler.