Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #4561
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
People actually think Dirk is going to demand a trade? Really?
Stein on with Ben and Skin said he couldn't imagine that happening...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #4562
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I'd say that's more likely, but that's taking into account the chances that he'd demand a trade is less than 5%. I highly, highly doubt he's going anywhere.
Well, as the Mavs continue to slide into the abyss known as mediocrity in the NBA, the option becomes more and more viable.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #4563
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Well, as the Mavs continue to slide into the abyss known as mediocrity in the NBA, the option becomes more and more viable.
Of which one?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #4564
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Asking Dirk if he'll accept a trade... or even Dirk asking for a trade (although I don't really see either happening..just becomes more viable the longer mediocrity hangs around the franchise)
Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #4565
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Ben and skins analysis has the same amount of value as when they touted the wonderful financial flexibility that we now have. Iow, zero.

No one knows how the dirkster is going to react to a team that sucks.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #4566
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Before we just submit to mediocrity for the rest of Dirk's years I think we need to give it some time. Let all of this play out, see what other moves we make, and even see what next off season has to offer.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #4567
Murphy3
Guru

What's probably most likely to occur is that he'll retire while he's still capable of scoring 17.5-20 a game at an efficient rate because he's doesn't see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #4568
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I believe Ben and skins analysis has the same amount of value as when they touted the wonderful financial flexibility that we now have. Iow, zero.

No one knows how the dirkster is going to react to a team that sucks.
I said Mark Stein said that he couldn't see Dirk ever asking to be traded.

He and Dirk are chummy.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #4569
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
Before we just submit to mediocrity for the rest of Dirk's years I think we need to give it some time. Let all of this play out, see what other moves we make, and even see what next off season has to offer.
Oh, I agree. The team is headed in that direction.. that doesn't mean that the course can't be altered. I don't want to see the franchise hedging their bets almost entirely on next year's free agency class especially with regards to Dwight Howard/CP3. I don't see either of those two coming here with what the likely state of the franchise will be.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #4570
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What does that even mean really, "give it more time". As in quit criticizing the front office for three years? Sorry, no one gets a three year grace period in this life.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #4571
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post

He and Dirk are chummy.
Steineymo has never seen dirk on a team that sucks before either. The last one I recall was the final days of Nellie and the twans, he was not a happy camper.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #4572
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post

He and Dirk are chummy.
Gotcha, I read Ben and I have so little respect for him that the dig just JUMPED onto my screen!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #4573
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
What does that even mean really, "give it more time". As in quit criticizing the front office for three years? Sorry, no one gets a three year grace period in this life.
Especially when your superstar probably only has about 3 years left at a superstarish level.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #4574
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Especially when your superstar probably only has about 3 years left at a superstarish level.
Depending on how one defines "superstarish", 3 yrs feels a little optimistic. Dirk looks like he is about to descend a level below legit "superstar"...what is that level called...a "star"?

But hey, I'm all for optimism right now.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #4575
Murphy3
Guru

Well, honestly, I think last year was a kick in the nuts for everyone involved. A Dirk that actually sees a chance to compete for title performs at a higher level than he did last year in my opinion.

And yeah, it does depend upon how your definie "superstarish". He's still a guy that you feel comfortable getting the ball to late in games and letting him do his thing. To me, that's definitely a good place to start.

But, going forward, with little to no help, it's going to be interesting to see how Dirk handles this season. Does he try and carry the team on his shoulders and will them into the 8th playoff spot? Or, do we see something similar to this past year? Personally I'd like to see Dirk 20 shots a game in 35 minutes on the court..
Old 07-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #4576
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Quote:
3 years? What?

It's been less than 1 week of free agency man, chillax. A lot can happen.

Last edited by OneLove22; 07-05-2012 at 12:51 PM.
OneLove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #4577
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can't imagine that he'll demand a trade. It might come to a point in which the Mavs ask Dirk if he's willing to accept a trade.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #4578
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
3 years? What?

It's been less than 1 week of free agency man, chillax. A lot can happen.
Well there was wasted last year, wasted (to come ) this year and you are talking patience about next year.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #4579
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk will never demand a trade, just like i dont believe mavs have ever done something drastic without his concent. If dirk is gonna be moved its going to be with both sides showing mutual respect and coming to a civil compromise behind the scenes without the drama.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #4580
dude1394
Guru

The result of behind the scenes demanding a trade is the same as public
Demand a trade IMO. Dirk would never toss a fit, he just wouldn't resign in two years.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #4581
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk would never toss a fit, he just wouldn't resign in two years.
Yep - if Dirk wants out, he's only two years away from a graceful exit.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-05-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #4582
dude1394
Guru

He might surprise us however, he's never played on
A lottery team to nowhere before.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #4583
OneLove22

Quote:
Well there was wasted last year, wasted (to come ) this year and you are talking patience about next year.
We were being aggressive, it didn't work out. It happens. I for one am not mad about the decisions made.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #4584
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Mavs are gonna ask dirk if he wants out before dirk ever does.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #4585
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
We were being aggressive, it didn't work out. It happens. I for one am not mad about the decisions made.

Good for you. I have a very aggressive growth stock for you. Interested?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #4586
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

dp

Last edited by Underdog; 07-09-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #4587
Underdog

Dwight + Deron = awesome to think of, but only in a Mavs jersey

Feels like the entire league is colluding to make the forever-awful Nets relevant now that they're in Brooklyn... First Miami, now this? The NBA's product sucks - I'll take the NFL's parity any day over a league where only a few teams are ever in any real competition for a championship (still).

Oh, and that lockout was a complete waste of time... Nothing changed, and if anything did, it wasn't for the better.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-09-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #4588
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I still cannot fathom why any team--but especially an East team--would facilitate Dwight going to the Nets, unless that team was easily getting the best of the deal. Yet as it stands, the only team who's really making out well in this is the Nets.

So I don't get it. It is baffling. Call his bluff, Orlando. He can't sign in Brooklyn.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #4589
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I still cannot fathom why any team--but especially an East team--would facilitate Dwight going to the Nets, unless that team was easily getting the best of the deal. Yet as it stands, the only team who's really making out well in this is the Nets.

So I don't get it. It is baffling. Call his bluff, Orlando. He can't sign in Brooklyn.
Almost seems fitting that it's the Cavs, though. It's like Gilbert is trying to defeat Lebron vicariously.

Last edited by muzak; 07-09-2012 at 09:17 AM.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #4590
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Dwight+Deron staying in the east is also pretty awesome.

Soon all the stars (in CHI, NYK, NJN) will regret their decisions. Money is cool, NYC is also pretty cool, BUT ending up like Patrick Ewing and not even reaching the finals is not cool at all.

The west on the other hand is wide open.

Last edited by markus1234; 07-09-2012 at 09:23 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #4591
dude1394
Guru

Quote:

Yea they should let him walk, then they too can have financial flexibility.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #4592
Erod

Erod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these parts

I don't know which is worse, the way Cuban blew this thing up last winter and got punked this summer, or the way he absolutely refuses to admit how wrong he was in all this now.

There isn't a single reason to hold Dirk captive at this point. Trade him and start over.

Thanks, Cuban. You dumbass.
Erod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #4593
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

This will be a really bad f*cking nightmare come true if the Nets get Howard. Meanwhile, the Mavs haven't done anything. I understand the need for stars, but are the Mavs really just going to be a lottery team until they get one? Something just doesn't seem or feel right about this summer...

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #4594
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

While I am still a huge Cuban supporter, and I have faith that he will right the ship, I also feel a little like he lost that fire in his belly once he won the championship. Seems like he was willing to throw money around pretty freely until we won last summer, and since then he's been making a ton of money-saving moves while he sheds payroll. Obviously a part of that has been his pursuit of Deron/Dwight (which I think was the right thing to do) but I feel like another part of his plan is to make the team a little more cost-efficient. I'm okay with that as long as we can still compete, but part of me is worried that this might be his model going forward.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #4595
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
I don't know which is worse, the way Cuban blew this thing up last winter and got punked this summer, or the way he absolutely refuses to admit how wrong he was in all this now.

There isn't a single reason to hold Dirk captive at this point. Trade him and start over.

Thanks, Cuban. You dumbass.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #4596
Erod

Erod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Ah yes, this, from the Village Suck-Up.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #4597
ibivibiv

ibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really nice

There is something not right going on. Things like the Mavs not having signed the picks, not having signed Delonte, Wright, Mahinmi and the general lack of activity just don't add up. For me there is some THING about to happen (yes think cat in the hat if you feel the need):

Thing 1: There is something super amazing GREAT about to happen and we'll all have an AHA moment and feel bad for doubting Cuban/Donnie. Thinking Howard comes here or equally amazing feat of basketball mojo

Thing 2: There is something super amazing BAD about to happen and they are tanking for a pick or blowing up or Cuban has lost his love for winning basketball or gotten cheap.

Thing 3: There is something super amazing STUPID happening and Donnie and Cuban have stroked out on us and are just in a panic and this year is headed for the gutter

There are just too many odd things going on that I feel like there is something under the surface happening that might reveal itself soon. Just a hunch.

Last edited by ibivibiv; 07-09-2012 at 10:14 AM.
ibivibiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #4598
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Ah yes, this, from the Village Suck-Up.
You nailed it, bruh. Hot damn.

But seriously, how could I not suck up when Rick Carlisle is a board member here?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #4599
Erod

Quote:
You nailed it, bruh. Hot damn.

But seriously, how could I not suck up when Rick Carlisle is a board member here?
I wonder if Rick has a piece of furniture left in his house he hasn't thrown through a window. Dude might want a do-over on that contract he just signed.

Last edited by Erod; 07-09-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #4600
Erod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibivibiv View Post
There is something not right going on. Things like the Mavs not having signed the picks, not having signed Delonte, Wright, Mahinmi and the general lack of activity just don't add up. For me there is some THING about to happen (yes think cat in the hat if you feel the need):

Thing 1: There is something super amazing GREAT about to happen and we'll all have an AHA moment and feel bad for doubting Cuban/Donnie. Thinking Howard comes here or equally amazing feat of basketball mojo

Thing 2: There is something super amazing BAD about to happen and they are tanking for a pick or blowing up or Cuban has lost his love for winning basketball or gotten cheap.

Thing 3: There is something super amazing STUPID happening and Donnie and Cuban have stroked out on us and are just in a panic and this year is headed for the gutter

There are just too many odd things going on that I feel like there is something under the surface happening that might reveal itself soon. Just a hunch.
Probably No. 3.

I just don't think Donnie and Cuban saw this coming, and now they don't know what to do.

Cuban thought the CBA had changed everything, and it has changed nothing in terms of behavior of the teams. Sure, those seven teams might pay for this, but next year it'll be a few other teams, then a few other the year after that. By the time it cycles through, the Nets and Lakers will have recovered, and they'll do it again.

Cuban thought he was the smartest man in the room, and still does, but it still means the Mavs don't have a competitive roster in the end.

Meanwhile, Deron Williams and Tyson Chandler are about to play on the Olympic team. How nice.

Tags
awesome to think of, colonystateofmind, death knells, delusional1234, deroff, git'erdonecubes, i have a dream, markus123no, michael reddish?, my ass bleeds for tyson, never happen dumbazz, oilfieldva-jay-jay, sard's sources outta @ss, shark tank for dwight, tank for dwight