Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #601
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
Howard wants media attention and he is not going to get it in Dallas.
Howard's not going to get media attention in the 6th largest media market in the U.S.?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #602
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Howard's not going to get media attention in the 6th largest media market in the U.S.?
Not to mention that there's this little thing called the Internet that broadcasts media all over the globe instantly - Dwight Howard is already one of the most media-laden players in the league regardless of playing in Orlando, Florida. Hell, it's been over a decade since geographical location had anything to do with the amount of publicity one can get, but that certainly won't stop NY and LA writers from bringing it up whenever they want a superstar to play in their city.

Besides, shouldn't Dwight Howard be all about winning a ring at this point in his career? The Lakers front office is a mess right now - even Kobe is pissed off with management. They haven't exactly had a winning culture under Buss-the-lesser...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-22-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #603
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
He wants to expand his "brand" into entertainment. I know Dallas is the new hot spot for reality TV, but LA >>>>>>>>>Dallas. LA is 5 times the market size.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #604
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He wants to expand his "brand" into entertainment.
Where did you hear that?

There are rumors that he wants to expand his "brand" globally (like Jordan & Kobe), but this is the first I've heard about him wanting to get into showbiz...

Last edited by Underdog; 02-22-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #605
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He wants to expand his "brand" into entertainment. I know Dallas is the new hot spot for reality TV, but LA >>>>>>>>>Dallas. LA is 5 times the market size.
There's no disputing that LA is a bigger media market than Dallas, to be sure. But that isn't what you said.

Further, Howard has apparently had a change of heart about playing with Kobe after their recent conversation(s). He may be very into promoting his "brand," but he also doesn't want to go somewhere where he won't feel like the big dog. He will never feel that way with Kobe in town.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #606
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
There's no disputing that LA is a bigger media market than Dallas, to be sure. But that isn't what you said.

Further, Howard has apparently had a change of heart about playing with Kobe after their recent conversation(s). He may be very into promoting his "brand," but he also doesn't want to go somewhere where he won't feel like the big dog. He will never feel that way with Kobe in town.
LOL. You actually thought when I wrote media, I was talking about your everyday newspaper writers and beat guys?

If your getting your info about Howard meeting Kobe from Realgm, I guess you skipped the tidbit that "The only two teams with a realistic chance at signing Howard long-term are the New Jersey Nets and Orlando Magic."

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1n8vn5nnQ

I can't imagining the Lakers keeping Pau after this year: trade or no trade. They can get bench help for him.

Last edited by b_o_r; 02-22-2012 at 03:12 PM.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #607
LonghornDub

Quote:
LOL. You actually thought when I wrote media, I was talking about your everyday newspaper writers and beat guys?
Nice dodge. Artfully done.

Quote:
If your getting your info about Howard meeting Kobe from Realgm, I guess you skipped the tidbit that "The only two teams with a realistic chance at signing Howard long-term are the New Jersey Nets and Orlando Magic."

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1n8vn5nnQ

I can't imagining the Lakers keeping Pau after this year: trade or no trade. They can get bench help for him.
What?

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-22-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #608
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

haha
Old 02-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #609
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah I think he wants to go to a place in a big market, where he is comfortable with the front office, and he wants to play with Deron. I think it will be deron's choice between NJ or Dallas if Howard isn't traded and Dwight will follow him.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #610
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Chad Ford in today's chat on ESPN said that there are signs pointing to Deron and Dwight joining forces in Dallas..... I am kind of speechless right now
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #611
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity View Post
Chad Ford in today's chat on ESPN said that there are signs pointing to Deron and Dwight joining forces in Dallas..... I am kind of speechless right now
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #612
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Here it is from chat

Quote:
Billy (Newark)

Does Deron Williams leave NJ this summer?

Chad Ford
(1:22 PM)

Probably. The only scenario where he doesn't is if the Nets swing a deal for Dwight Howard at the trade deadline. At that point, I think Williams hangs around. If that doesn't happen, I think Williams will join Dwight Howard (assuming he's not traded to the Lakers in March) in Dallas next summer. Lots of signals pointing to this being the preferred outcome for both players.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #613
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I have little to no respect for Chad Ford's sources...but that jazzes me.

There's just so much smoke going around right now. If we can JUST get to March 16th without Howard being a Net...

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #614
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

the outcomes are basically being reduced to joyous relief and humongous letdown...

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #615
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Man, I have little to no respect for Chad Ford's sources...but that jazzes me.

There's just so much smoke going around right now. If we can JUST get to March 16th without Howard being a Net...
You did the numbers: What's the max we can offer both? 30?
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #616
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Hmmm... Our flamboyant entertaining, fully engaged, compete every year front office obviously is enticing. Only lakers IMO would be a better fit for Howard/ deron.

Obviously deron isn't following Dwight to la....sooooooo...

All I can say is very cool.... And if pulled off...I will go back and find every anti-Tyson trade post and either bump it and eat crow or edit it and eat crow...

Unless you'all just want one humongous crow eating. I would prefer that as I would get pretty tired of seeing someone humiliate themselves so many times.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #617
LonghornDub

Quote:
The countdown continues. 22 days.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #618
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stefan Bondy @NYDNInterNets
Shawne WIlliams is out for the season, which also means there's a zero percent chance he doesn't pick up the $3.1 million player option
The Nets have their own "free cap" issues.

They cant afford to re-sign Humphries anyway. But with the current contracts, the cap holds and the salary of their two firstrounder they need either to dump Petro or Farmer. Or hoping that Farmar doesnt pick up his player option. Farmer isnt happy with his playing time and is thinking about testing the FA...

Shawne Williams is their Vince Carter. Means pretty much they have to reduce his 3M with the stretch provision.

Last edited by sefant77; 02-22-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #619
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Always wondered what happened behind the scenes for the Mavs to banish Shawne Williams.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #620
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Always wondered what happened behind the scenes for the Mavs to banish Shawne Williams.
Pot

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 02-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #621
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Got it. It was a weird situation IIRC. No public league suspension or fine. Williams just banished from the facility, etc. without notice for a really long time, too. Looking at wikipedia, it was for over a year. It almost felt like a hostage situation - not sure if it cost the Mavericks a roster spot.

Anyways, glad he is sabotaging the NJN cap situation a bit.

Last edited by rabbitproof; 02-22-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #622
Underdog

Quote:
Pot
Did he dip into Cuban's stash or something?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #623
sefant77
Guru

I really really try not to be greedy. Getting Deron is a jackpot but DDD would be like a nuclear blast in the good way.

If im Cuban i send Kidd to Orlando on the allstar week with the agenda that they four sit down for lunch or dinner to talk about DDD and what this would mean for all of them. Let them talk about the playoff clown Avery, about the genius Carlisle, the free flow offense the Mavs can pull out anytime they want etc. Talk about how the Mavs "rebuild" and pulled out Odom/West/Carter/Wright with basically nothing.

I dont see Dwight getting traded. The owner dont want it. Their record is too good. I think they really hope for a nice (lucky) playoff run to convince him to stay.

I dont see the Lakers folding and offering Gasol and Bynum. I dont see what Dwight want in LA just with Kobe. They have allready huge depth issues.

I dont see Dwight forcing a trade to the Nets at the deadline. The Nets are allready 8 losses behind #8. Knicks and Celtics had injury issues and getting their guys back. Deron/Dwight + some better trash would probably miss the playoffs anyway, so no reason for Dwight to force the trade.

It would really help when we could get a (secret) commitment from both during the ASW but i dont see this happening. Woudl help us with dumping Marion during the deadline but would look also damn suspicious.

There is also the sword of damocles hanging over the Mavs with the name "NBA draft". If the Nets win the lottery...ugh. Could be also that Deron/Dwight are waiting for the Nets draft position. Or which wing player offers the Nets getting for Lopez. I also dont like the Marshon Brooks hype...

Well, its pretty crazy. So many damn variables and aspects...and i believe its DDD or bust for the Mavs. Its either both in Brooklyn or both in Dallas...

Last edited by sefant77; 02-22-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #624
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

This thread feels good in general but is especially comforting after a loss.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #625
sefant77
Guru

Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #626
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Did he dip into Cuban's stash or something?
From what I read back when it happened, he tried to bring it onto the team plane.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #627
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The countdown continues. 22 days.
The longest 22 ever.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #628
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

22 to the trade deadline. I expect the fa season to be the more telling time
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #629
sefant77
Guru

Wondering if the Mavs try for the deadline a 3-way deal with the Hornets and a win now team desperate for a good defensive center.

In:
Kaman

Out:
Haywood
Odom/maybe Roddy/1st

Hornets
Out Kaman
In Odom/Roddy/pick

3rd team
In Haywood
Out expiring to the Hornets

Wouldnt hurt the Mavs that much at center for this season and gives them the flexibility to use the AR on Marion if they have to, they secure the cap room for DDD for sure.

Last edited by sefant77; 02-23-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #630
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Question to CBA people here.

Could Deron and Dwight both sign one year deals with Dallas -- then resign at max with the 7.5% increases next year instead of the 4.5%?

I mean if they signed one year deals, wouldn't Dallas become their "home" team and then be allowed to resign them on 5 year max deals @ 7.5% instead of a 4 year with 4.5% -- as long as they played one year with them?

I realize that it is a chance they take with injury, but that seems to me to off-set the $30 million since both teams can only start at the same amount.

Is this possible?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #631
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post

Could Deron and Dwight both sign one year deals with Dallas -- then resign at max with the 7.5% increases next year instead of the 4.5%?

I mean if they signed one year deals, wouldn't Dallas become their "home" team and then be allowed to resign them on 5 year max deals @ 7.5% instead of a 4 year with 4.5% -- as long as they played one year with them?

I realize that it is a chance they take with injury, but that seems to me to off-set the $30 million since both teams can only start at the same amount.

Is this possible?
No. When a player changes teams via free agency, his new team doesn't get Bird rights for three years.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #632
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

I can see it already.

The Killer D's
The Big 3 in Big D
Delta Delta Delta

and that's all my brain can do today.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #633
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post

Is this possible?
What would happen is putting a player option after the 3rd year, allowing them to opt out and re-sign for more money to make up for a potential discount starting below max.

James/Wade/Bosh have all such a player option.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #634
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Wondering if the Mavs try for the deadline a 3-way deal with the Hornets and a win now team desperate for a good defensive center.

In:
Kaman

Out:
Haywood
Odom/maybe Roddy/1st

Hornets
Out Kaman
In Odom/Roddy/pick

3rd team
In Haywood

Wouldnt hurt the Mavs that much at center for this season and gives them the flexibility to use the AR on Marion if they have to, they secure the cap room for DDD for sure.
It would be mega-twisted to send Odom to the Hornets now. Almost evil.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #635
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
What would happen is putting a player option after the 3rd year, allowing them to opt out and re-sign for more money to make up for a potential discount starting below max.

James/Wade/Bosh have all such a player option.
I don't think they need that. They will not be underpaid regardless in 2015 at $22Mio each
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/miami.htm
Lestat_1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #636
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
It would be mega-twisted to send Odom to the Hornets now. Almost evil.
And i would send Carter to the Raptors if it secures us DDD

Of course Odom could also end up with the "win now" team and they ship more expirings to the Hornets.

I also think there are some EC teams that would help us next summer with eliminating cap just to make sure that Dwight and Deron end up in the WC.

Avoiding a 3rd superteam in the EC for years to come (= pretty much 1st round exits as best case for a season) could be tempting for EC GMs...
Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #637
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

I hear you and would do the same if it would guarantee 3D. Given it doesn't, it has a sleazy feel to it.

I think there's got to be a better way to leverage LO, too.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #638
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
I really really try not to be greedy. Getting Deron is a jackpot but DDD would be like a nuclear blast in the good way.

If im Cuban i send Kidd to Orlando on the allstar week with the agenda that they four sit down for lunch or dinner to talk about DDD and what this would mean for all of them. Let them talk about the playoff clown Avery, about the genius Carlisle, the free flow offense the Mavs can pull out anytime they want etc. Talk about how the Mavs "rebuild" and pulled out Odom/West/Carter/Wright with basically nothing.

I dont see Dwight getting traded. The owner dont want it. Their record is too good. I think they really hope for a nice (lucky) playoff run to convince him to stay.

I dont see the Lakers folding and offering Gasol and Bynum. I dont see what Dwight want in LA just with Kobe. They have allready huge depth issues.

I dont see Dwight forcing a trade to the Nets at the deadline. The Nets are allready 8 losses behind #8. Knicks and Celtics had injury issues and getting their guys back. Deron/Dwight + some better trash would probably miss the playoffs anyway, so no reason for Dwight to force the trade.

It would really help when we could get a (secret) commitment from both during the ASW but i dont see this happening. Woudl help us with dumping Marion during the deadline but would look also damn suspicious.

There is also the sword of damocles hanging over the Mavs with the name "NBA draft". If the Nets win the lottery...ugh. Could be also that Deron/Dwight are waiting for the Nets draft position. Or which wing player offers the Nets getting for Lopez. I also dont like the Marshon Brooks hype...

Well, its pretty crazy. So many damn variables and aspects...and i believe its DDD or bust for the Mavs. Its either both in Brooklyn or both in Dallas...
Interesting points. I can't see them waiting on the draft picks to be viable. I think lots of scenarios come to the fore front, first being this weekend, then the trade deadline. But agreed, as long as they maintain a decent standing going into the trade deadline, most likely Howard will not be traded.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #639
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
22 to the trade deadline. I expect the fa season to be the more telling time
Kind of a given, but the point is that the Mavs can't have much influence at the trade deadline. In the FA period, though, they can. That's why people are counting down to the trade deadline.

As long as the ball is at least partially in our court, I like our odds.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #640
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:

In:
Kaman

Out:
Haywood
Odom/maybe Roddy/1st

Hornets
Out Kaman
In Odom/Roddy/pick

3rd team
In Haywood

Kaman is a major downgrade from Haywood he is a shelf of his former self before the injuries.

Tags
awesome to think of, colonystateofmind, death knells, delusional1234, deroff, git'erdonecubes, i have a dream, markus123no, michael reddish?, my ass bleeds for tyson, never happen dumbazz, oilfieldva-jay-jay, sard's sources outta @ss, shark tank for dwight, tank for dwight