Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future
Default NBA spotlight on Spurs and Mavericks

NBA spotlight on Spurs and Mavericks (Linkage)
BY DAVID MOORE
The Dallas Morning News

SPOTLIGHT ON Playoff races

SPURS/MAVERICKS

This is a big week for the two teams fighting for the top seed in the Western Conference.
San Antonio is in the midst of a five-game, 10-day road trip. The Spurs opened with a loss to Denver and close with games against the Los Angeles Clippers and Lakers. If the Spurs are still ahead of the Mavericks at the end of this road trip, they will be hard to pass with seven of their final 10 games at home.

The Mavericks, meanwhile, have started a four-game, seven-day road trip. A 27-hour period in the middle of the trip - against Detroit and Cleveland - could determine if the Mavericks still have a legitimate shot at the No. 1 seed or must settle for No. 4.
The Spurs, with the exception of Nick Van Exel, have overcome their injuries and are playing their way back into shape. Robert Horry is reminding his teammates that the league pays a bonus for the team with the best record.
San Antonio isn't at the level it was during last year's championship run. But then, the playoffs haven't started yet.

"All in all, with a month left, we're probably in a decent position," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "But we have to get better if we want to do it again."

CLIPPERS/GRIZZLIES

Another interesting race is shaping up at the No. 5 seed.

The Clippers have occupied this spot for several weeks. They still do. But that doesn't mean they will be able to hold off Memphis.

The Grizzlies' 10-point win over the Clippers three days ago was significant. Memphis leads the series 2-1, with the Clippers scheduled to play in Memphis again on the next-to-last-day of the regular season.

Ten of the final 15 games on the Clippers' schedule are against teams currently in the playoff pack.

Only four of the Grizzlies' final 13 games are against playoff teams. Memphis is 13-6 since Feb. 10 and on a roll.
The kicker: the No. 5 spot in the West is the worst seed in the playoffs since that team will be forced to face either San Antonio or Dallas in the first round. The No. 6 seed is preferred, since it will yield a matchup with Denver and potential home-court advantage.
Come to think of it, maybe the Clippers don't want to hold off the Grizzlies.

IN THE PAINT

Legal department:

Glad to hear that Utah's Carlos Boozer dropped his lawsuit against Prince for painting his West Hollywood property purple and putting the numbers 3121 out front to promote his new album. I'd hate to think Boozer's focus was distracted from the team's playoff push. But what is it with Boozer and landlords? When he left Cleveland, Browns defensive back Percy Ellsworth claimed the forward owed him $12,500 in back rent and took his washer and dryer. I wonder if Prince's people painted those purple?

Wakeup call:

Seattle's Luke Ridnour gets a chance to try out for the Olympic team, then finds himself benched in the fourth quarter of games for Earl Watson. The point guard is so upset that he knocks on the hotel room door of coach Bob Hill at 7 one morning to find out what's going on. No wonder he didn't get a clear answer.

Dribbling around:

When asked about Minnesota coach Dwane Casey, owner Glen Taylor said, "At this point, I'm supporting him and trying to help him as best we can." I don't know about you, but I wouldn't call that strong support. . . . Negotiating with free-agent-to-be Mike James this off-season won't be easy. "I've been underpaid since I've been in this game," said the Toronto guard, who makes $3.4 million this season. "Now, it's time for me to get what I deserve
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote