Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #361
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Good find but +1 rep to Gortat!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #362
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

For sure Gortat loves german quality

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/06/10/m...st-car-in-nba/
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #363
jimi_thing

jimi_thing is on a distinguished road

looks like we're gonna wait whole 7 days for Orlando's final word.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...me+with+Gortat

btw: I'm new here. and I'm looking forward to have nice time here.
jimi_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #364
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

I have a feeling that Orlando will match...
Old 07-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #365
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maringa View Post
I have a feeling that Orlando will match...
Why would they pay that much to a guy who backs up their franchise player?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #366
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Another Gortat article:

Link

Quote:
MAITLAND, Fla. - If the Orlando Magic wanted to be any more cost conscious, they could dim the lights at the RDV Sportsplex and host the Orlando Pro Summer League on the strength of Marcin Gortat's smile alone.

Orlando may as well get all they can out of Gortat while it still can, as his days serving the organization are running short.

On Wednesday, the Dallas Mavericks will be officially able to announce that they've agreed in principle to a five-year deal that will make the Polish-born Gortat one of the biggest winners in this season's free agency period, guaranteeing him what amounts to more than 700 percent raise from the $770,000 he earned with the Magic last season.

The move also removes Gortat from a head coach he criticized last season, Stan Van Gundy, to one he's positively crazy about, Dallas' Rick Carlisle. Asked what he anticipates the difference will be between the high-strung Van Gundy and the considerably more laid-back Carlisle, an offensive-minded trend-setter who clearly did a nice job recruiting the 7-footer.

"That will be huge, just working for that kind of coach will be something good for me. It's going to be another experience," said Gortat. "You can learn something from every coach, even coaches in the third division back in Poland, so this is something that will be great for me. Hopefully, I'll have success with it.
"Having an opportunity to play in the starting lineup, playing with Jason Kidd, one of the best point guards in the history of the game. We talked about future opportunities and they said they would give me an opportunity to comepte for a starting position."

There are rumors that he's been guaranteed everything from the starting center spot in the Mavericks lineup to stock in Mark Cuban's fledgling HD empire, but the truth is that Gortat is simply excited to have an opportunity to contribute on a higher level than he was able to in Orlando. Erick Dampier's future in Dallas is in limbo, but there are a lot of rumors out there regarding the Mavericks, Shawn Marion and a number of other scenarios suggesting the team may be one of the busiest over the coming weeks.
Still, Gortat emerged as a priority right next to re-signing Kidd, which was accomplished after guaranteeing him a 3-year deal. Despite competition from as many as a third of the teams in the league, the Mavericks stepped up with a pitch nobody else matched.

"They just pushed more, whoever wanted me more, that's who I was going to go with," said Gortat, who played on multiple Summer League entries, a few European squads and in the D-League before finally hitting it big. "It wasn't like after one game I was able to take it easy. I always had somebody, Tony Battie, fighting for the mintues with me. It was never easy. In my situation, I had to show this every day. It wasn't like I could say that I could do things based on what I've accomplished in the past. I didn't have a past. It was always about proving what I could be."

Given Dwight Howard's dominance and ironman status, not to mention Orlando's preference for creating mismatches with their frontcourt duo of Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis, Gortat averaged just 12.6 minutes last season and failed to hammer home his immense potential until the team's lengthy playoff run.
Against Philadelphia, he admirably stepped in the Game 6 road clincher, taking the heat off the suspended Howard by coming up with 11 points and 15 rebounds in an impressive 40-minute effort. Against Boston, Cleveland and the L.A. Lakers, he consistently impressed with his instincts, showing off a superior defensive presence.

His athleticism is the hook, but his superior defensive presence is what has opened the door for him to learn such an odd paycheck. It sounded strange to hear how the Magic didn't lose much on that end of the floor when Howard went to the bench and Gortat stepped in, but Van Gundy was correct in that assertion.

Gortat told PBN he didn't want the expectations involved with having to replace Yao Ming and felt like he had to start carving out his own path with an opportunity that presented guaranteed minutes and greater responsibility. He relished being the veteran talking to younger players prior to the Summer League commencing, and feels equally thrilled to be leading the Polish national team as host country of this summer's European championships now that he's got his professional future secured.

"I was depressed with everything that was going on. People telling you you were a backup and always unsure of what your future would be like," Gortat said. "I'm ready for that (go-to) role (for Poland). I believe I can make it. People expect that I'm going to go over there and shoot 3's and score 30-40 points a game, but I'm going to be a leader over there. I'm going to be a leader in shot-blocking, rebounds, running the break and getting rebounds."

That's what Dallas expects out of him, too. Much to Gortat's delight, they'll want that production right out of the gate and will be paying handsomely to get it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-08-2009 at 09:03 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #367
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Why would they pay that much to a guy who backs up their franchise player?
What else is out there? They lost on on Dyess and Sheed. Already lost Hedo. They're looking at Brandon Bass. I can understand why they'd match. They don't really have much alternatives for a big man other than the one that's already there. A week ago I thought it was a sure thing Gortat would be here. Reading that last article and seeing all of the big men leave free agency i'm not quite as sure anymore. The only thing that saves us is that like you said, MAYBE they don't want to pay someone 5 million to come off the bench.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #368
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Otis is a major c-blocker.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #369
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
The move also removes Gortat from a head coach he criticized last season, Stan Van Gundy, to one he's positively crazy about, Dallas' Rick Carlisle.
Reading that part of the article and considering the fact a bigger role is waiting for him in Dallas, makes me believe matching the offer won't be enough for the magic to keep him, even with higher raises.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #370
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Magic wont match. They would be way too deep in luxury, 2010 they would pay over 70 Mio for 7 guys...
Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #371
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
Reading that part of the article and considering the fact a bigger role is waiting for him in Dallas, makes me believe matching the offer won't be enough for the magic to keep him, even with higher raises.
If the Magic match the offer he has no choice in the matter.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #372
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

DMN Blog
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/

Quote:
"I just hope that I end up with the team that wants me the most and I can show them that I'm ready to play," Gortat told Florida Today. "I'll sign my contract just after midnight, and what happens next I don't know. Going to Dallas would be a huge opportunity to get more playing time and have a bigger role. That just tells me that I have to come back a better basketball player."
Otis Smith better not match...
Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #373
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"Going to Dallas would be a huge opportunity to get more playing time and have a bigger role. That just tells me that I have to come back a better basketball player."

how beautiful is that?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #374
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

sounds like he really wants to work hard and make a name for himself...just the guy we need....he realizes that Cubes will pay if he performs.
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #375
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
"Going to Dallas would be a huge opportunity to get more playing time and have a bigger role. That just tells me that I have to come back a better basketball player."

how beautiful is that?

Unless your Damp...Then that probablyyyy sucks! That would mean he would actually have to work a lil harder this offseason to keep his starting job

Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #376
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Unless your Damp...Then that probablyyyy sucks! That would mean he would actually have to work a lil harder this offseason to keep his starting job
poor Damp...he is gone and he knows it. Oh wait, let me rephrase that, "Very, VERY rich Damp...he is gone and he knows it.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #377
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post

how beautiful is that?
I so want Gortat to be legit, better than I even hoped he would be.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #378
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

So, has he signed yet?

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #379
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I so want Gortat to be legit, better than I even hoped he would be.

Second this.

I'm not sure what to expect yet but I look forward to not counting on Damp as much (and que Jthigs head banging) and perhaps have some excitement from athleticism. I hope he has hands like it seems he does and knows what to do with the ball, unlike Hollins who has a bit of promise but tends to have Green syndrome.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #380
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
So, has he signed yet?
nah
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #381
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

What are we waiting on? Get this man signed already I can't see Orlando matching the offer. *knock on wood*
Old 07-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #382
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
If the Magic match the offer he has no choice in the matter.
Dang! Thanks for clarifying! I got the impression they'd just have the final say on the contract offered to Gortat, with the possibility to match or exceed the Mavs' offer, but that the player is always left with the choice. Now that is some serious restriction - the Magic better find a cheap replacement soon or I'm going to be concerned all week!
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #383
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Once we know the Magic aren't matching, we should all run out and get GorTATs.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #384
sefant77
Guru

Fuck Otis

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...it_for_gortat/
Old 07-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #385
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Pretty crappy I think, there's no way the Magic resign an unhappy backup to the MLE, and pay luxury taxes for it. Just give the man your blessings and let him go.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 07-08-2009 at 02:30 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #386
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
Pretty crappy I think, there's no way the Magic resign an unhappy backup to the MLE, and pay luxury taxes for it. Just give the man your blessings and let him go.
Especially in these economic times. They got a nice wing rotation, Nelson back, Howard, 12 minutes centers are easy enough to find with the vet minimum. They still have to fill their 4 spot and if they believe Gortat can fill that void, they will match, if not, then he'll be here, battling Ross for jersey #13.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #387
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Otis can go to Hell he is just sticking the screws to the Mavs and their fans.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #388
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly is the hold up? The Mavs know what they want to pay Gortat. Sign the damn thing already.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #389
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
What exactly is the hold up? The Mavs know what they want to pay Gortat. Sign the damn thing already.
Post #384? It's right there.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #390
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they actually had to officially "sign" so Dallad to wait the 7 days to see if they matched.

I assumed it was exactly 7 days... so why not sign it on 12:01... that way on the 15th at 12:01 you would see if they matched or not.

But maybe the 7 days is more of an estimation....
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #391
sefant77
Guru

I think that is an example for behaviour that can come back and bite a GM in the ass if he need some help from other teams in a later 3 way deals or buying draft picks etc.

The same with the Email about Darius Miles from Portland...
Old 07-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #392
jimi_thing

jimi_thing is on a distinguished road

i have bad feelings... orlando will match. gortat is their future trade asset.
and it's look like they will have to pay luxury tax with or without gortat. they have no bench players.
jimi_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #393
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi_thing View Post
i have bad feelings... orlando will match. gortat is their future trade asset.
and it's look like they will have to pay luxury tax with or without gortat. they have no bench players.
Orlando took a loan of the league.

With Gortat they would spend over 70 mio for 7 players in 2010 and the cap may go down to 50 mio.

They wont pay Dwights backup the full MLE.

Last edited by sefant77; 07-08-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #394
Dario1969

Dario1969 is on a distinguished road

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...he-stays-.html

Marcin Gortat signs offer sheet worth 5 years, $34 million; Gortat says he'll be happy whether he stays or goes to Dallas

Marcin Gortat signed his offer sheet from Dallas. He said Dallas has offered a deal worth five years, $34 million. Because he's a restricted free agent the Magic now have seven days to match the offer.

Gortat decided to stand against the Orlando Magic backdrop to chat and when Dwight Howard saw him do it he razzed him a little. Howard told Gortat, grinning, that he couldn't stand in front of the Magic logo anymore if he wasn't going to be part of the team.

He said he'd be happy in either place and that he grew up as a basketball player in Orlando.

Gortat is heading back to Poland for a few days so he won't have to sit here wondering where he'll end up. He knows the same question will be on everybody's mind.
Dario1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #395
Dario1969

Dario1969 is on a distinguished road

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...ando-fans.html

Marcin Gortat says if he leaves, he'll never forget Orlando fans

Marcin Gortat is rightfully excited about what he's got ahead of him. Here's what he said about potentially going to Dallas. He signed his offer sheet today and said the offer was for 5 years, $34 million.

You know, people say, 'He was playing just 5 minutes a game or 10 minutes a game.' I’ve been working out seven years. So after seven years I finally get, I got a chance to, you know, get what I’m getting right now. Like I said, we’ll see. In seven days I will know where I’m gonna play.

I’m actually going to have a busy seven days. I’m going back to Poland, take care of some camp with some kids. … weird seven days because I don’t’ know if I gotta send my assistant over to pack my stuff or if I just gotta come over and look for a new house.

It’s hard to not think about it. I’m just gonna try to focus on having fun with the kids trying to do as much as I can end of the day, I’m always gonna think how to become a better basketball player. I’m excited but I’m only excited going back to Poland in that kind of situation where I don’t know where I’m going to play yet. Every day’s gonna be the same question. Where you gonna play? Where you gonna play? Where you gonna play? I don’t know the answers. It’s kind of hard to go in that kind of situation right now. I’m happy to go back to Poland.

(Did you just meet with Otis Smith?)
We had a meeting about two hours ago, two and a half, we dropped the offer. I gotta say, Otis was really, he impressed me a lot. Everything he said through the whole season. He actually helped me a lot. First thing what he did, he wasn’t mad he just congratulated me on everything that I have right now. For everything I get. He said you deserve that. He said we’re gonna work on it, in seven days you’re gonna know the answer. That is a huge gentleman move, I will say and I’m really impressed with Otis. At the end of the day wherever I’m gonna play, I’ll be happy.

I think especially Otis, I think he understands. He’s an ex player so he understands my situation. Playing here maybe 10, 15 minutes a game but over there maybe 30 minutes a game or 40 minutes a game. It’s different. He understands from a players’ standpoint, I got a huge opportunity to just improve my game and show what I can do. I hope the fans will understand everything, too. If I’m gonna go to Dallas, I’ll never forget about Orlando fans. Here, I grew up as a basketball player, I improved my game. I got to experience a lot of things. Going to the finals, I played with the best big man in the world.
Dario1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #396
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Orlando is going to match....
Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #397
Mavsfan2thedeath

Mavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maringa View Post
Orlando is going to match....
you've said that already....we get it. although if you're such a good prognosticator maybe i should ask you what the winning lotto numbers will be....
Mavsfan2thedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #398
dmack24

dmack24 will become famous soon enoughdmack24 will become famous soon enough

We are getting Shawne Marion; So I dunno how this will turnout. Hes a heckuva a player and better than Jhow; but who will play the two? Not jhow he is not meant for the two position. Will we do sg by committee again?
dmack24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #399
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack24 View Post
We are getting Shawne Marion; So I dunno how this will turnout. Hes a heckuva a player and better than Jhow; but who will play the two? Not jhow he is not meant for the two position. Will we do sg by committee again?
Is Marion better than J-Ho? A healthy J-Ho?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:01 AM   #400
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to the video: http://www.nba.com/magic/video/2009/...gic/index.html

Tags
classic threads, epic fail, f otis, hammered, he's polish, no gortat no chance, offseason trolls!, orlandomatchesoffer, otis loves polish sausage, otis you son of a..., that's racist!, the return of windmill, trade black, we win super balls now?