Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #121
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

I dislike this move as much as I dislike grabbing Gooden. Taking on douchebags in the hope that they will grow a heart and brain and selling it as "just look at those expirings" is ridiculous for a team that has had the same fatal flaw for several years that is not even close to being addressed by those moves. If we are in win-now mode, then it would have been great to add a physical presence at the 5 and two-way player at the 2. What we've done is add a proven 3 in Marion, a knucklehead finesse 4 in Gooden, and punk a-hole disinterested TT.

I understand the logic of strengthening the back-end of the roster, but there are holes at starting spots and wishful thinking doesn't fill that void. I guess that I could disregard all of the times I have seen Gooden and Thomas play uninspired basketball and try to convince myself that these last two puzzling moves make sense, but my homer glasses were completely destroyed after they let Bass walk because they assumed the Magic wouldn't match Gortat. There seem to be lots of assumptions coming from the Mavs FO these days.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #122
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Tim Thomas & Drew Gooden combine for 16 teams in 19 seasons...

('nuff said!)
This got buried in the thread last night...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #123
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
I dislike this move as much as I dislike grabbing Gooden. Taking on douchebags in the hope that they will grow a heart and brain and selling it as "just look at those expirings" is ridiculous for a team that has had the same fatal flaw for several years that is not even close to being addressed by those moves. If we are in win-now mode, then it would have been great to add a physical presence at the 5 and two-way player at the 2. What we've done is add a proven 3 in Marion, a knucklehead finesse 4 in Gooden, and punk a-hole disinterested TT.

I understand the logic of strengthening the back-end of the roster, but there are holes at starting spots and wishful thinking doesn't fill that void. I guess that I could disregard all of the times I have seen Gooden and Thomas play uninspired basketball and try to convince myself that these last two puzzling moves make sense, but my homer glasses were completely destroyed after they let Bass walk because they assumed the Magic wouldn't match Gortat. There seem to be lots of assumptions coming from the Mavs FO these days.
Mark this as the first time I've ever agreed with Ribosoma on anything. And actually I don't agree with all of it. I'm not angry about the Gooden and TT additions because they came at the expense of someone else. I'm very happy with the current starting lineup plus Jet.

But adding douchebags without hearts or brains is exactly right. Especially Tim Thomas. At least with Gooden you can find some people claiming he goes over well in a locker room. Who has ever written anything positive about Tim Thomas over the past eight years?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #124
CapitanObvious

CapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud of

Carlisle did say last season that he wants a-holes on the team...

CapitanObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #125
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Here comes another one, Can we him as a center?
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #126
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanObvious View Post
Carlisle did say last season that he wants a-holes on the team...
Tim Thomas = a-hole who talks a lot

Ron Artest = a-hole who can back it up on the court

Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #127
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #128
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I've never lived in another NBA city, but I will take a guess that there isn't a fanbase out there that likes every single member on its team. Have we ever liked every player we had? Seriously guys, can't we calm down just a bit? I agree that Tim Thomas is not the best player in the NBA, but he's cheap, available, and fills a need.

He's not going to be starting, or probably even playing huge minutes. Donnie himself said that we are working on end of the roster things, and I think this falls into that category. Sure, having a talented hard working player at every single position would be nice, but that is the ideal possible situation, the top of the heap. If you want $150 and someone gives you $140 that doesn't "suck." Even $130 isn't bad, considering probably no one else has $150. It's not the best possible situation, but "best possible situations" are rare in basketball and don't happen every year. A team has 15 players, and each player has an agent, and every trade or signing involves lots of money and deal making and often multiple other teams and GMs and coaches and families. Getting a roster full of every player that you personally want is not an easy thing.

I realize you may not like Tim Thomas's attitude or his game or his place on this team, but him being here is not the end of the world that a lot of you are making it out to be. Personally, I don't think highly enough of the guy to think he has the power to bring down our entire (or really any) of our team. He's one very small piece. Get over it.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #129
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1975 View Post
I've been out of the loop for awhile, so let me get this straight, these are the moves the Mavs have done in the offseason:

-re-signed Kidd... woo hoo a 38 yr old PG.
-got pwned by Otis Smith *after* saving the Magic money...
-draft was a yawn
-traded for a *former* all-star whose shot I now have to fight the urge to cringe at
-signed a head case spare that will sully a Mavericks uniform-tough to spin anything positive out of Gooden (If he was'nt gooden turrible he would have stuck with a team by now)
-signed an a-hole spare that's 6'10" and does'nt rebound, hustle, or play defense...
-the last two combining for 16 teams in 19 seasons...
-and last but not least...letting 2-3 promising young players walk for nothing...
did I miss anything?

Sorry, but I'd need about 10 phds in spin doctoring to talk myself into liking what's going on this offseason...

You had no problem spinning it to look as negative as possible, why should spinning it the other way be any different?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #130
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
I've never lived in another NBA city, but I will take a guess that there isn't a fanbase out there that likes every single member on its team. Have we ever liked every player we had? Seriously guys, can't we calm down just a bit? I agree that Tim Thomas is not the best player in the NBA, but he's cheap, available, and fills a need.

He's not going to be starting, or probably even playing huge minutes. Donnie himself said that we are working on end of the roster things, and I think this falls into that category. Sure, having a talented hard working player at every single position would be nice, but that is the ideal possible situation, the top of the heap. If you want $150 and someone gives you $140 that doesn't "suck." Even $130 isn't bad, considering probably no one else has $150. It's not the best possible situation, but "best possible situations" are rare in basketball and don't happen every year. A team has 15 players, and each player has an agent, and every trade or signing involves lots of money and deal making and often multiple other teams and GMs and coaches and families. Getting a roster full of every player that you personally want is not an easy thing.

I realize you may not like Tim Thomas's attitude or his game or his place on this team, but him being here is not the end of the world that a lot of you are making it out to be. Personally, I don't think highly enough of the guy to think he has the power to bring down our entire (or really any) of our team. He's one very small piece. Get over it.
What if the bills that make up that $140 are powdered in anthrax? Hmmm?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-28-2009 at 10:01 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #131
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Anyone who has watched the NBA over the past ten years knows that Tim Thomas is a loser. He's a loser. He doesn't care about competing night in and night out, he doesn't care about putting in an effort defensively, he doesn't care about playing within a system. He's a chucker, he's lazy, and he has no business on a team trying to win. He is the antithesis of Dirk in every imaginable way.
Were you talking about Tim Thomas or Erick Dampier?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #132
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
What if the bills that make up that $140 are powdered in anthrax? Hmmm?
or, if the folks you want to compete with get $160, then you are actually losing at least $20.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #133
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

You're asking TT and Gooden to be the 7th/8th, or even the 9th best player on this team. I fail to see how this is so bad. That's freakin' depth if you ask me.

Last edited by muzak; 07-28-2009 at 10:06 AM.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #134
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
or, if the folks you want to compete with get $160, then you are actually losing at least $20.
It seems my analogy was too vague. No team is going to have 16 players on its roster. Even if they could, I highly doubt that any team has 15 (or 16) perfect players.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #135
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #136
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Were you talking about Tim Thomas or Erick Dampier?
Erick Dampier isn't a chucker. The one good thing about Damp is that he generally doesn't take bad shots. The problem with Damp is that there is not an aggressive bone in his body.

Last edited by MascisMan; 07-28-2009 at 10:26 AM.
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #137
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

No one can tell me that Tim Thomas is the better "shooter" and fit than McCants...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #138
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

Well, it's not finalized and it ups the 3pt fg% quite a bit (which is something we all want). It looks like his minutes will be very minimal unless he earns otherwise. We've seen the FO send Shawne Williams home, I'm sure they'd do the same to Thomas in a heartbeat.

Idk, I guess it could be worse.. We could be the Lakers (if they lose Odom).. Great starting lineup, no bench worth discussing.
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #139
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
No one can tell me that Tim Thomas is the better "shooter" and fit than McCants...
Definitely won't hear that from me. I'd rather have McCants over Wafer or TT any day of the week.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #140
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
McCants is also a better defender and isn't known for being a little bitch...

McCants (1984) - 36.8% career 3P shooter
Thomas (1977) - 36.9% career 3P shooter

Old 07-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #141
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
McCants is also a better defender and isn't known for being a little bitch...

McCants (1984) - 36.8% career 3P shooter
Thomas (1977) - 36.9% career 3P shooter
Well, McCants isnt everyones darling like Dirk but hell he can shoot and score and is a way better defender than Thomas...

And probably a way better throw-in in the next trade...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #142
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Tim Thomas will be a decent guy to sub in for Howard and Marion. Mccants could not do that.

When Thomas is on the floor with Marion, Marion will be guarding the perimeter guy, when he is on the floor with Howard, Howard will be guarding the perimeter guy.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #143
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll wait and see how this works out in the locker room and off the court but I don't have much of a problem with the basketball side of this. TT can shoot and I would rather have him over Devil George, SWilliams, Singleton for sure. I would rather have him filling in Wrights minutes too.

We have a pretty experienced team and I think the end of the bench where Thomas seem to be headed is better than it was. Idk where Gooden is going to land in the rotation but, these two moves don't slay me. I'm sure TT and Dirk will be fine!!!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #144
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Damn we seriously got Tim Freaking Thomas?! One of my most hated players in the league is now on my favorite team, this sucks.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #145
Justin Credible

Well, after reading the latest db article it seems as if TT is, in fact, getting the remainder of the MLE. That would be great, except Donnie says that there's no intent on using the BAE.. which means no McCants/Wafer.

BTW, wasn't Singleton a solid rebounder as well? If Carlisle's new plan is to control the game by controlling the glass and having ample offensive options, wouldn't that include Singleton? I understand that his (initial) minutes would be bumped by TT, but what if TT is a bust? Wouldn't it be nice to have a second option?

So current rotation:

Kidd/JJB/Beaubois
Howard/Jet/Ross/Carroll
Marion/Howard/Ross
Dirk/Marion/TT/Gooden
Damp/Gooden/Dirk

That actually seems pretty damn great.. Except I think that Singleton would be better behind Marion at the 4 and that would make TT a purely situational player (better for all involved). Plus, Singleton could be a situational player at the 5 considering he can snag rebounds. IDK, I guess I just don't want to lose both Hollins and Singleton given the fact that they're two of my favorite players on last season's team. I mean, of course I admit Dirk/Howard/Kidd/JJB were higher on my list.. But at least Singleton/Hollins were on that list.

Now? TT/Gooden. Can't say I'm a bigger fan of either than whom they are replacing. I admit that the production might be better, but I can't say that I'd rather have them over whom they are replacing.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #146
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't fully understand the hate against Gooden, there are damn near as many reason to hate on Dampear. Tim Thomas is an upgrade over what we had is it not? I mean we added super solid defenders in Marion and Ross, why not be a lil excited that we have a little help on the offensive end when our big guns are resting. We have a pretty damn decent defensive starting lineup.... a few guys off the bench that have ability to score is welcomed by me.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #147
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Google Chat:

David: lets just hope that gooden and thomas are on short leashes by carlisle
Matt: Gooden concerns me far less
David: and that...is funny
Matt: hahaha. it is.

Last edited by vinylstar; 07-28-2009 at 11:17 AM.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #148
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I don't fully understand the hate against Gooden, there are damn near as many reason to hate on Dampear. Tim Thomas is an upgrade over what we had is it not? I mean we added super solid defenders in Marion and Ross, why not be a lil excited that we have a little help on the offensive end when our big guns are resting. We have a pretty damn decent defensive starting lineup.... a few guys off the bench that have ability to score is welcomed by me.
I agree with you SMC. I may have my rose colored homer glasses on to tight but, I honestly believe with the team we have that we can reach the number 3 seed in the west. Now if the Lakers lose Odom we might have a chance at a higher seed especially if we land a decent center.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #149
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm baffled truly baffled. Ive tried to be optimistic about every move we've made and I'll try to be optimistic, but the only thing I can figure is that Don Nelson got so mad at Cuban that he kidnapped Carlisle, and is secretly making Donnie turn this team into a Nelson team with Thomas being our Raef LaFrentz.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #150
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's 36.
Quote:
That's not a move.
Quote:
-draft was a yawn
No.
Quote:
-traded for a *former* all-star whose shot I now have to fight the urge to cringe at
Former *four-time* all-star.
Quote:
-signed a head case spare that will sully a Mavericks uniform-tough to spin anything positive out of Gooden (If he was'nt gooden turrible he would have stuck with a team by now)
He'll be moved again.
Quote:
-signed an a-hole spare that's 6'10" and does'nt rebound, hustle, or play defense...
Probably.
Quote:
That's not a move.
Quote:
-and last but not least...letting 2-3 promising young players walk for nothing...
Nothing is finalized, Singleton isn't all that young, and we have 20 players on the roster.
Quote:
Sorry, but I'd need about 10 phds in spin doctoring to talk myself into liking what's going on this offseason...
Yeah, looks like you managed to sum it up without any spin whatsoever.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #151
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
I've been out of the loop for awhile, so let me get this straight, these are the moves the Mavs have done in the offseason:

-draft was a yawn
did I miss anything?

Three Teams in Big Texas my brother. If you think you have better choices than the MAVS, I don't want you to suffer any more, keep your Circus show moving on down to Houston or San Antone. Trust me you wont be missed. One more thing, Make sure you let the door knob hit you where the sun don't shine, for you will certainly not feel a THING. You have nothing down there anyways.

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #152
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
This got buried in the thread last night...
haha. maybe they can help RC with strategy and calls from coaches in half of the league.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #153
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny that Thomas was earning 6.5mill. Who signed him to that one? Ouch.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #154
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Its funny that Thomas was earning 6.5mill. Who signed him to that one? Ouch.
Dude has made something like $85MM over his career. Let that sink in!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #155
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

This is just the Doug Christie, Eddie Jones move of this offseason. A worthless player who use to be good who's turned into sh**.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #156
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Really puzzle about the Gooden and Thomas signing, but heck at least they are a one year signing. I will always root for a player in a Mavs uniform, so welcome aboard DGooden and TThomas.

Living in Western Arizona I see a lot of Clippers and Suns games and Thomas has become an adequate defender specially against Big Men, he play quite well in the Power Forward spot but get abused at the 3, In Phoenix D'Antoni play him a lot at the Center spot to create mismatches, but the guy got owned in that spot, the last couple of years he play the 4 and to my surprise he didn't look that bad.

I dare to say that IMO he is a better one on one defender that Dirk at the 4. The problem with him and Gooden is that they lack focus, Gooden is a lot cause unless Carslile can magically teach this guy some defense.

I am with the board consensus not too happy with the last signings but I will reserve any judgment until the roster is set.

Last edited by pepe; 07-28-2009 at 12:31 PM.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #157
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzak View Post
You're asking TT and Gooden to be the 7th/8th, or even the 9th best player on this team. I fail to see how this is so bad. That's freakin' depth if you ask me.
Tim Thomas is not the 7th,8th or 9th best player on this team. He has his spurts here in there but more likely than not he's on bum status for the majority of the game. These are the type of players we need to stay away from. Guys who just don't give the effort night in and night out.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #158
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

ugh.. I can't believe the mavs just signed two huge douchebags.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #159
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
This is just the Doug Christie, Eddie Jones move of this offseason. A worthless player who use to be good who's turned into sh**.
Career: 43.6%/36.9%/75.7%....21pp48, 7.6rp48, 1.3sp48
Last yr: 43.2%/41.3%/73.6%...21pp48, 7.6rp48, 1.2sp48

He's washed up, or as you say it, "turned to s@#t"? Looks like his numbers are pretty much on par with the rest of his career.

And Im pretty amazed that he continues to be a good/great 3pt shooter. If he can come in and be 2009/2010s version of the Walt "the Wizard" Williams, then Im actually pretty supportive of this.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-28-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #160
quietsavant

FELLAS!!!!!!! STOP ACTING LIKE THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDDEhLw1PVI

THIS BLABBERING BABIES RUMBAYTUTTIFRUITY B-TCH FEST MUST CEASE.
You are MAV fans for god sake

Tags
arrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh, bitchfest, emo overreaction, flaco's purple niples, kill me now, kiss of death, no funeral, noogod!nogodpleaseno!nono, noooooooooooooooooooooooo, now cue office theme