Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 11-14-2009, 01:40 AM   #41
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
You like the Simpsons, but not Futurama or King of the Hill? With all due respect, that doesn't make sense.
How so? They're certainly not identical shows, even if they are similar in some respects. We all bring our own biases and preferences to the table, so I'm not sure why it'd be so unreasonable that you'd like all 3 whereas I'd only like 1 of the three.

I also like Led Zeppelin but don't care much for Pink Floyd, if it means anything to you.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2009, 02:55 AM   #42
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I still like Maurice Lemarche's work voicing the character in my avatar. Now that was some underrated work.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:46 AM   #43
Re-Dirk-ulous

Re-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of light

Family Guy tries to hard to be shocking just for the sake of being shocking, which makes it unfunny and very stupid.

FG also plays on the current pop culture, sorta like SNL. Yesterday's joke is parodied the very next day, making it obsolete when you watch it a few months later. That's how they get their material (the 10 mins of material they use minus the long dead air and drawn-out, repetitive, looped jokes).

FG has even thrown in (or stolen) current internet memes of the time in their episodes (e.g. Rickrolling, PBJ Time, BK Song, etc...)

I'm just not into that style of retarded humor. That's probably why I don't watch SNL

As far as internet jokes/pranks, I think that's something that should stay on the internet.
Re-Dirk-ulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:58 AM   #44
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

South Park also uses current events but in a smarter way.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #45
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a damn good thing some of you guys have absolutely no say in what's on the air.. Family Guy would be off the air and the horrific Futurama would be wasting 30 minutes of prime time air on Sunday nights.

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-14-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #46
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's a damn good thing some of you guys have absolutely no say in what's on the air.. ________ would be off the air and the horrific ________ would be wasting 30 minutes of prime time air on Sunday nights.
Everyone here would fill in those blanks differently.

Opinions are like assholes, etc.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #47
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, except Murph is a fan of what's currently on the air, which is the only case that sentence makes any sense.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #48
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
It's a damn good thing some of you guys have absolutely no say in what's on the air.. Family Guy would be off the air and the horrific Futurama would be wasting 30 minutes of prime time air on Sunday nights.
You're the guy who hates the Beatles. Nobody cares what you think.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #49
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
How so? They're certainly not identical shows, even if they are similar in some respects. We all bring our own biases and preferences to the table, so I'm not sure why it'd be so unreasonable that you'd like all 3 whereas I'd only like 1 of the three.

I also like Led Zeppelin but don't care much for Pink Floyd, if it means anything to you.
They're not identical, but Futurama is basically the exact same kind of of humor/writing as the Simpsons. Nerdier yeah, almost the exact same writing style. Probably because it's written by a lot of the same people.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #50
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They're not identical, but Futurama is basically the exact same kind of of humor/writing as the Simpsons. Nerdier yeah, almost the exact same writing style. Probably because it's written by a lot of the same people.
Well, I just don't find it funny. I've probably seen 15 or 20 episodes of Futurama and I'm not sure I've ever laughed. I guess it doesn't make sense.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #51
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, I just don't find it funny. I've probably seen 15 or 20 episodes of Futurama and I'm not sure I've ever laughed. I guess it doesn't make sense.
You have to watch them in order. LOTS of past references.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #52
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're the guy who hates the Beatles. Nobody cares what you think.
So, you're lying about what I said to make a point. That's awesome. I did say that I wasn't a huge fan of the Beatles.. I did say that I recognize that they have some greatness in them to. Where you're getting hate from is obviously not what I said. So, if you want to continue to misquote me because that's all you can really come up with, go ahead. It really doesn't matter all that much to me.

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-15-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:12 AM   #53
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
So, you're lying about what I said to make a point. That's awesome. I did say that I wasn't a huge fan of the Beatles.. I did say that I recognize that they have some greatness in them to. Where you're getting hate from is obviously not what I said. So, if you want to continue to misquote me because that's all you can really come up with, go ahead. It really doesn't matter all that much to me.
It was really a joke. Chill out.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:19 AM   #54
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Actually, now that I think about it. I can sort of relate. Futurama, for reasons I can't quite put my finger on, doesn't seem to appeal to very many immediately. I remember watching it on Fox when it was new, and I didn't care for it. I thought it was okay, but nothing special. Then I started watching it years later on Adult Swim, and I found it hilarious. After watching about 10 episodes or so it had suddenly become my favorite show without me even realizing it. I guess it's not as accessible as the Simpsons because of it's Sci-Fi theme and obscure references.

I can say the same thing about King of the Hill. For years I didn't like the show at all, and it's only been within the past year or so that I've started watching it regularly. Now it's one of my favorites.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:00 AM   #55
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

After I post in this thread I am going to make my own thread entitled "I hate granny smith apples".

Everyone loves them-- they are great to munch on, great in pies but they used to be a rare commodity item that you'd see occasionally next to the red delicious but now they are everywhere. I havent been to a grocery store in the last 3 years in this country that hasnt had a pile of them. Plus, they always used to be crisp and tangy but lately I've had 1-2 that have been mealy. Its crazy and I want everyone on D-M.com to know that.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-15-2009 at 03:03 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:04 AM   #56
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
After I post in this thread I am going to make my own thread entitled "I hate granny smith apples".

Everyone loves them-- they are great to munch on, great in pies but they used to be a rare commodity item that you'd see occasionally next to the red delicious but now they are everywhere. I havent been to a grocery store in the last 3 years in this country that hasnt had a pile of them. Plus, they always used to be crisp and tangy but lately I've had 1-2 that have been mealy. Its crazy and I want everyone on D-M.com to know that.
You don't like Granny Smith apples? Now THAT is crazy. Like, almost as crazy as an octopus playing center for the Mavs. Just crazy.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 AM   #57
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Dont get me started on cephalopods-- especially ones with hoop dreams.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #58
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Dont get me started on cephalopods-- especially ones with hoop dreams.
That's changing your tune. You were the one who defended the idea in the first place! I have proof!

Quote:
In the NBA there is no rule that an octopus cannot play, and if an octopus can play, whats to stop one from playing the center position? IF Danny Fortson can be a center, a cephalopod certainly could.

Honestly it all depends on wingspan. If the octopus had an inproportionately large wingspan, it could easily play bigger than it is.
http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35436
Old 11-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #59
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I think what Spiral is really saying is that he loves Family Guy.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #60
Murphy3
Guru

I'm not a big fan of the Granny Smith apples either...
Old 11-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #61
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I think what Spiral is really saying is that he loves Family Guy.
I do love Family Guy... about as much as being kicked in the nuts. I'm a glutton for punishment.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #62
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Red Delicious are the money apple anyways.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #63
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Granny Smith apples go better with caramel dip than Red Delicious, but Red Delicious are better on thier own.

SP> KOH > FG
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #64
BoomGoesTheDynamite

BoomGoesTheDynamite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
never watched a single episode. unless it's G-Force or Star Blazers I have no interest in animated tv..
Damn I feel old because I remember those shows as a kid in Houston. G Force (not the Guinea Pigs) was on more frequently, but StarBlazers was superior.
BoomGoesTheDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:37 AM   #65
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Family Guy is really hit and miss IMO. Some episodes I find myself laughing voraciously. Other episodes I don't laugh at all. The pedophile guy is definitely a winner.

South Park is still very witty and poignant, but I don't laugh much at most of the episodes anymore.

I actually still like most of The Simpsons episodes. Nothing to lol, but a lot of them are still quite clever and make you guffaw or at least take notice of the joke.

Love Futurama and love King of the Hill.

American Dad is meh, but Roger is pretty hilarious.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #66
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomGoesTheDynamite View Post
Damn I feel old because I remember those shows as a kid in Houston. G Force (not the Guinea Pigs) was on more frequently, but StarBlazers was superior.
StarBlazers was probably better quality overall, but G-Force was way cooler.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #67
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Tags
got a bit fluffy in here, i hate fluffy guy