Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looks like the Cowboys Have a New Holder

Source: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ne...78D1499384CDB4

Quote:
On Hold Again
Cowboys Looking To Romo Again To Cure Holding Issues

IRVING, Texas - When the Cowboys lost the 2006 Wild Card game in Seattle, mainly because of a botched field goal snap in the final minutes, it appeared Tony Romo's days as the holder were over.

In fact, for about three seasons they were.

But with kicker Nick Folk in a funk, missing five out of his last seven field goals in the last four games, the Cowboys have been toying with the entire operation of the kicks. The first step in the changing process appears to be at holder, where punter Mat McBriar is expected to be replaced by Romo this Sunday against the Chargers.

Although head coach Wade Phillips joked that it would be a "game-time decision" to have Romo take over the duties, he all but pegged the quarterback for his new role.

"We let him hold today quite a bit to see how he did," Phillips said. "And (special teams coach Joe DeCamillis) was very impressed. We felt like he would be. Tony is a pretty good holder."

Of course, who could forget Romo's last attempt to hold, when he dropped a potential game-winning field goal against the Seahawks, Seattle holding on for a 21-20 win at Seahawk Stadium? Romo had been the regular holder since the 2004 season and although he was named the starting quarterback six games into the 2006 regular season, then-head coach Bill Parcells opted not to make the mid-season change.

But Parcells did make a holder move in the middle of a season before. In fact, this isn't the first time Romo has replaced McBriar as the holder. In the 2004 regular-season opener, McBriar dropped the first snap of the year, preventing a field-goal opportunity in Minnesota. Parcells had a quick hook and yanked McBriar, replacing him with Romo, who was the backup quarterback behind Vinny Testaverde.

But Romo didn't hold all season because he often traded that No. 2 spot with Drew Henson, before eventually regaining the position at the end of the year.

Romo continued to hold in 2005, when the Cowboys had all sorts of kicking issues. Three different kickers - Billy Cundiff, Jose Cortez and Shaun Suisham - all had a turn that season as Romo was the primary backup to Drew Bledsoe.

In 2006, Romo started the year as the holder for Mike Vanderjagt and Suisham, and then Martin Gramatica, who was the kicker in the playoff loss against Seattle.

"Guys that have the mechanics to do it, it doesn't take them long to get back to form," Phillips said. "It's not the kicker. It's how you handle the ball. It's how you spin the ball. It's where you put the laces. If he wants it up, leaning one way, leaning forward - that's what a holder does. A guy that can do it well, doesn't have a problem with that."

The Cowboys are hoping this change will help Folk, who has missed a kick in four straight games.

"I think something new at this point may do some good for him," Phillips said of Folk. "And he may have just been in a slump. But I don't know. And the whole operation hasn't been what we wanted. We're trying to change something that maybe will help us. All the kicks are important. We know that. He knows that. Virtually, it's up to the kicker. We have a snapper and holder, and he has to do his job, too. (Folk) knows it's his responsibility to do better also."

Folk has hit 16-of-24 field goal attempts this season. His eight misses already top his seven from the previous two years combined.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

queue the jokes by all the blogs.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I do wonder how many times that play is going to be shown by ESPN this week.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 12-09-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Better see some fake field goals, otherwise this is a joke...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Too many times, for sure. I can still remember that play vividly. I don't need a reminder.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
tcat075
Diamond Member

Speaking of "trick" plays, UD, whatever happened to the Ogletree screen? I know its not really a trick play, but its kinda unique and somehow my mind connected the two. Anyway, has he been inactive the past few games or are they waiting for people to forget about it.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Better see some fake field goals, otherwise this is a joke...
Apparently McBriar has been having trouble with the holds and has never been comfortable doing it. They tried a bunch of guys in the preseason and none of them could do it. Kitna has never really done holds. So the only one left on the roster with any experience at holding kicks is little Tony Romo.

I think it's hilarious and welcome it, especially if this can get Folk going or whatever.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Speaking of "trick" plays, UD, whatever happened to the Ogletree screen? I know its not really a trick play, but its kinda unique and somehow my mind connected the two. Anyway, has he been inactive the past few games or are they waiting for people to forget about it.
I'm pretty sure he's been active. I know I've seen him here or there on special teams (I think he even returned a kick last week if I remember right). I get the feeling though that the only part of the offense he really knows is that wide receiver screen. The last time I remember them running it, it got completely stuffed against Green Bay. In other words, I think that other teams are aware that the WR screen is Ogletree's bit.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 12-09-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Apparently McBriar has been having trouble with the holds and has never been comfortable doing it. They tried a bunch of guys in the preseason and none of them could do it. Kitna has never really done holds. So the only one left on the roster with any experience at holding kicks is little Tony Romo.

I think it's hilarious and welcome it, especially if this can get Folk going or whatever.
Bring back Brad Johnson as a full-time holder!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he's been active. I know I've seen him here or there on special teams (I think he even returned a kick. I get the feeling though that the only part of the offense he really knows is that wide receiver screen. The last time I remember them running it, it got completely stuffed against Green Bay. In other words, I think that other teams are aware that the WR screen is Ogletree's bit.
He did run a reverse one time, against Philly I think. 6-7 yards or so. But yeah, right now in his career he's pretty much a one-trick pony. Kinda elusive and can make some moves, but not trusted by the coaching staff to actually go into the game and catch passes.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand how a holder falls into a slump - hasn't McBriar been holding all season? How is he suddenly holding worse than before? Isn't it plausible that the kicker coming off of hip surgery might be the reason for a slump at this point in the season?

I guess we'll find out soon enough...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #12
tcat075
Diamond Member

Doesn't make sense to me either, but let's hope it works.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #13
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I don't understand how a holder falls into a slump - hasn't McBriar been holding all season? How is he suddenly holding worse than before? Isn't it plausible that the kicker coming off of hip surgery might be the reason for a slump at this point in the season?

I guess we'll find out soon enough...
Like I said a little earlier, apparently McBriar has never been fully comfortable at this role. He even admits to lunging forward to get the ball, and that this has sometimes put the ball in a bad spot. I don't know enough about kicking to know if this is true or not, but the fact that the coaching staff felt it was a big enough issue makes me think there is some merit to this.

It could be a case where the Cowboys think this is a confidence issue for Folk and are therefore making this move in hopes of a "placebo effect" for Folk because it is easier than going out and finding some garbage kicker off the trash heap. I do have this conspiracy theory playing in the back of my mind.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 12-09-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #14
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It could be a case where the Cowboys think this is a confidence issue for Folk and are therefore making this move in hopes of a "placebo effect" for Folk because it is easier than going out and finding some garbage kicker off the trash heap. I do have this conspiracy theory playing in the back of my mind.
This was my first thought too. Well, my second thought after "CRUD!"

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Maybe the Cowboys can sign Steve Dennis to make him a full time holder...would he be known as a winner...or a loser?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffydathreadkiller, fluffyholdsballz