Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #2121
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
F Jay Leno and F NBC
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to fluid.forty.one again.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 04:07 AM   #2122
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
+1

And Flaco.. if you were referring to his responses to Kimmel, whatdaya expect him to do? Guarenteed he lost it after.. you could even hear his snide tone on "oh yaa 12 doesn't work for me". And he sounded way to smug with his 10th question.. like he just landed a haymaker.

If Leno had any self respect, he wouldn't take the Tonight Show back. Seriously after all the vows and buildup since 2004? He's acting like Iverson.
So what, he should turn them down?

It's competition. It's a business. He should do what he can, and in this case all he's doing is what's being handed to him. I think Jay Leno is a douche, but to say that he shouldn't compete...that he should just lay down...that's not the way this world works. It's capitalism, and it's beautiful. If folks want Conan to succeed, they need to buy what he's selling, and I'm sure they will once he lands somewhere else.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:49 AM   #2123
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
So what, he should turn them down?
G*ddamn right he should. If he didn't want to leave the Tonight Show, then he should've stayed there in the first place.

The people at NBC are damn morons. It takes years to build a large audience in that format. Conan's ratings at Late Night were absolutely horrific until his fourth season, and then they skyrocketed. Also, to my understanding, Conan's ratings are significantly better than Leno's were during his first year (just going by hearsay, not looking them up.) You don't just pull the plug after seven months.

Quote:
It's competition. It's a business. He should do what he can, and in this case all he's doing is what's being handed to him. I think Jay Leno is a douche, but to say that he shouldn't compete...that he should just lay down...that's not the way this world works. It's capitalism, and it's beautiful. If folks want Conan to succeed, they need to buy what he's selling, and I'm sure they will once he lands somewhere else.
My ass. If Conan were as classless as Leno, he could f*ck Jimmy Fallon over the way Leno is doing to him, and take his Late Night gig back. But he's better than that. Capitalism and competition are fine, but morals and ethics have their place too. There's right and wrong, and what NBC is doing to Conan is just plain wrong (not to mention stupid).

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-17-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #2124
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6d1...4-announcement
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #2125
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like Leno..but I don't blame him in the least in this situation.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #2126
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So wait... If your boss comes to you and says "we're eliminating your position, but we'd like to offer you your old job back" you're supposed to say "oh that's ok, no thanks"?

Weird.

Be mad at NBC all you want, but being mad at That idiot leno is moronic at best.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #2127
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
So wait... If your boss comes to you and says "we're eliminating your position, but we'd like to offer you your old job back" you're supposed to say "oh that's ok, no thanks"?

Weird.
If it was my choice in the first place to step down (and as I understand it, it was Leno's choice not to renew his contract), and if my successor was someone I respected and had a 20 year friendship with, and I felt that he was getting the shaft, that he hadn't had the proper time he needed to succeed in that position, and it was morally wrong, and I was filthy f*cking rich and never had to work another day in my life... then yes, I would turn them down.

Quote:
Be mad at NBC all you want, but being mad at That idiot leno is moronic at best.
Give me a break. Being mad at someone for having no ethics is moronic? I guess then I have no right to criticize someone for f*cking over his fellow man, so long as he makes a profit? If someone has a financial incentive, then they have no moral responsibility? Like I said before. There's a reason Conan isn't doing the same thing to Jimmy Fallon. Because he has some f*cking class and dignity.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-17-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #2128
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
If it was my choice in the first place to step down (and as I understand it, it was Leno's choice not to renew his contract), and if my successor was someone I respected and had a 20 year friendship with, and I felt that he was getting the shaft, that he hadn't had the proper time he needed to succeed in that position, and it was morally wrong, and I was filthy f*cking rich and never had to work another day in my life... then yes, I would turn them down.

Give me a break. Being mad at someone for having no ethics is moronic? I guess then I have no right to criticize someone for f*cking over his fellow man, so long as he makes a profit? If someone has a financial incentive, then they have no moral responsibility? Like I said before. There's a reason Conan isn't doing the same thing to Jimmy Fallon. Because he has some f*cking class and dignity.
amen

Quote:
Flaco, did you watch this?
Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #2129
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I don't like Leno..but I don't blame him in the least in this situation.
you should. he's got a part in this.

check out "The Late Shift"....it's a book and a movie. either one.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #2130
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joXYj2IoKXs

Jimmy Kimmel rules!

edit: I don't even like Jimmy Kimmel, but this was amazing. If you haven't watched, I urge you to right now. Jay was completely dumbstruck right here and had no comebacks whatsoever. Watch how uncomfortable he is.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-18-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #2131
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can pretty safely say that this kind of thing happens all the time. And in reality, it's all a business and looking out for number one is generally what's going to happen, and I don't really blame anyone for doing so.

However, that video Fluid posted is pretty damning.

Quote:
Quote:
“When I took this show over, boy there was a lot of animosity between me and Dave, and who’s gonna get it, and quite frankly, a lot of, what I thought, well good friendships were permanently damaged. And I don’t want to see anybody ever have to go through that again. Because, you know this show is like a dynasty, you hold it, and then you hand it off to the next person. And I don’t wanna see all the fighting and all the ‘who’s better’ and nasty things back and forth in the press, so right now, here it is, Conan, it’s yours, see you in 5 years buddy. Clear enough?”

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #2132
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I think you can pretty safely say that this kind of thing happens all the time. And in reality, it's all a business and looking out for number one is generally what's going to happen, and I don't really blame anyone for doing so.

However, that video Fluid posted is pretty damning.
It's all a business, yes, but they must understand in that format it takes a very long time to build an audience after taking over a spot that someone else has held for 17 years. You don't just pull the rug out from under the guy after 7 months.

And whether Jay is the bad guy or not, the perception everywhere is that he is the bad guy, and Conan is getting screwed royally. I don't think his image will ever recover. I guarantee this is a decision NBC will rue and lament.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-18-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #2133
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat View Post
you should. he's got a part in this.

check out "The Late Shift"....it's a book and a movie. either one.
I've already checked it out..and no, I still don't place the blame on Leno.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #2134
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joXYj2IoKXs

Jay was completely dumbstruck right here and had no comebacks whatsoever. Watch how uncomfortable he is.
I like how Jay seemed to verbally stumble into rushed comebacks a couple times.

Kimmel: "Now I know no one cares what I think.."

Leno: (wait for it... wait for it) "ohh ya I agree with that..." (yes, got him!)
Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 AM   #2135
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I've already checked it out..and no, I still don't place the blame on Leno.
Leno might not be the "bad guy" here, but I definitely wouldn't call him the "good guy" either. At the very least it was stupid of him not to expect this kind of backlash. If on the other hand he had turned down the job and stuck his neck out for Conan, the entire industry and national media would be hailing him as the savior of show business.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 AM   #2136
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

They would?

I would be calling it a dumb business decision.

(like nearly every decision NBC makes, and they'll keep on making them. Still doesn't make leno the bad guy.)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 01-19-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:09 AM   #2137
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
They would?

I would be calling it a dumb business decision.

(like nearly every decision NBC makes, and they'll keep on making them. Still doesn't make leno the bad guy.)
Right... that's why everybody's talking about what a smart guy Jay is for getting his Tonight Show gig back. Oh wait...

Edit: And for the record, I think it actually would've been the smarter business decision to turn NBC down, because then not only would his image be more positive than ever, but he would then be free to get his own show at another network in whatever timeslot he wanted, and probably make even more money than he would at NBC. As it is, Conan will probably be getting his own show on FOX, and I'm about 99% sure that it WILL beat the Tonight Show in the ratings. I could be wrong, but I just don't see any way this ends up well for Leno and NBC. Once you lose your audience, it's almost impossible to get it back (and make no mistake, Leno definitely has lost his audience). Conan, OTOH, comes out of this thing more popular than ever.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-19-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:45 AM   #2138
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

So then what is the problem for all of the people taking up for the poor besotted 50 year old Conan? I totally agree that he is going to do well no matter where he lands. Good for him.

But Leno lost his 17 year audience in 7 months? No effing way.

I don't know who watches these late night shows (certainly not sports fans with DVR's and an internet connection) but I'd be willing to bet that a good portion of them will be happy to see their old pal not-funny-omg-huge-chin back in his regular time slot.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #2139
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
So then what is the problem for all of the people taking up for the poor besotted 50 year old Conan?
Uh... he's getting f*cked out of his show.... Whether you blame Leno or not, Conan is getting the shaft here. Yeah, ok, he's a very rich man. I'm not shedding tears for him either, but I am a fan, and us fans are pissed off that they're taking "The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien" away from us.

Quote:
But Leno lost his 17 year audience in 7 months? No effing way

I don't know who watches these late night shows (certainly not sports fans with DVR's and an internet connection) but I'd be willing to bet that a good portion of them will be happy to see their old pal not-funny-omg-huge-chin back in his regular time slot.
He's lost a huge portion of his audience... yes. You can't take a show off the air without losing a ton of your audience. When he left the Tonight Show, a huge number of people just stopped watching. If he goes back, a "good portion" will start watching again, sure, but a TON of them won't. Not because they think Jay is a bad guy, but because that's just the way television works.

I could be wrong, but I really don't think so. Especially when you consider the possibility that he'll be competing directly with Conan. On top of losing a lot of viewers when he went to prime-time, the audience will be divided between Leno AND Letterman AND Conan.

Only time will tell, but if I was a betting man, I'd bet my money on Leno's ratings not being nearly as high as they were before he left the Tonight Show.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-19-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #2140
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

let me switch gears for a second... over to another show NBC almost booted - Chuck.

Man, australian girl is hot as usual. but COME ON! how many "talks" can sarah and chuck have in each episode? Less emotion and more spy shit, please!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #2141
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i am definitely a bigger conan fan than a leno fan, for sure. But a lot of you are glossing over something here. The change NBC was proposing was NOT for Leno to get the Tonight Show back (it might end up that way if Conan leaves NBC, but that was not the proposal). NBC recognized that Jay's show in primetime was a failure, and wanted to keep its format and length, but just move it back. Conan would still keep the Tonight Show, it would just start later.

that being said, i am on Conan's side. But it's not a conan battle against leno, it's a conan battle against the shmucks at NBC, who wouldn't have even had to do this Leno at primetime thing if they actually stuck with any of their hour-long dramas so they could develop a following. I swear there was a new one every week. And who is going to start watching a show that they KNOW is going to get cancelled?

Chuck and FNL have to do crazy crap to stay on the air, yet the Heroes shitfest continues on, as well as all the dam Law and Orders for so many years.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #2142
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Completely off topic, (or is it - this is a WHAT ARE YOUR SHOWS thread as opposed to a THIS TALK SHOW HOST THAT NOBODY CARES ABOUT GOT SCREWED BY THIS TALK SHOW HOST THAT NOBODY CARES ABOUT thread), but the wife and I decided to buy all of the seasons of The Office and start watching it from beginning to end and, wow...

What a terrific show that neither of us allowed ourselves to take part in. I just absolutely love this show now.

Carry on...
Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #2143
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
let me switch gears for a second... over to another show NBC almost booted - Chuck.

Man, australian girl is hot as usual. but COME ON! how many "talks" can sarah and chuck have in each episode? Less emotion and more spy shit, please!
and as soon as i say that, i go ahead and watch the episode from last night. That's what i'm talking about! great episode start to finish, more Awesome means the show is awesome.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #2144
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I haven't seen anything from last night yet...but I am glad to know that Chuck was awesome.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #2145
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Anyone seen this?

Howard Stern warns Conan about Jay Leno in 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxcAAb60lik
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #2146
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
i am definitely a bigger conan fan than a leno fan, for sure. But a lot of you are glossing over something here. The change NBC was proposing was NOT for Leno to get the Tonight Show back (it might end up that way if Conan leaves NBC, but that was not the proposal). NBC recognized that Jay's show in primetime was a failure, and wanted to keep its format and length, but just move it back. Conan would still keep the Tonight Show, it would just start later.

that being said, i am on Conan's side. But it's not a conan battle against leno, it's a conan battle against the shmucks at NBC, who wouldn't have even had to do this Leno at primetime thing if they actually stuck with any of their hour-long dramas so they could develop a following. I swear there was a new one every week. And who is going to start watching a show that they KNOW is going to get cancelled?
This is all true. I don't think Leno is nearly as evil as he's been portrayed lately, but it was really stupid of Jay not to expect this kind of backlash. Nobody knows what's happening behind closed doors, but from the outside looking in, it does look like Jay is trying to muscle Conan out of NBC so he can get his old gig back. (I personally don't think that's what's going on, but on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me either.) I mean seriously, how did he think people would react? And like I said earlier, if Jay had turned NBC down and gone to another network, he'd look like the hero (and I'm telling you Flaco, nobody else gives a f*ck if that would've been bad business decision. People would like him a hell of a lot more than they do right now.)

At the very least Jay has been smart enough not to take any shots at Conan. He can take all the shots he wants at Letterman, Kimmel, NBC, or anyone else. But the minute he says anything but the kindest of words about Conan, he gets crucified even more than he is now.

Either way, Conan deserves better.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #2147
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.c...uy/?test=faces

Jay Leno gave his version of the NBC late-night debacle during the opening monologue of the "Jay Leno Show" on Monday night.

Leno's explanation came as the Wall Street Journal reported Conan O'Brien will get a $40 million buyout on his contract and will be able to start a new show in the fall.

O'Brien would be barred from bad-mouthing his former NBC bosses, sources told the paper, something O'Brien and Leno have had a field day with since Leno's show was canceled and O'Brien was asked to move the "Tonight Show" into the following morning.

RELATED: Conan O'Brien Deal Could Be Done Tuesday.

Leno also said on-air that there may be new details released from NBC on the matter on Tuesday.

Here is what Leno said on the "Jay Leno Show," in full:

I thought maybe I should address this. At least give you my view of what has been going on here at NBC.

Oh, let’s start in 2004 — 2004, I’m sitting in my office, an NBC executive comes in and says to me, “Listen, Conan O’Brien has gotten offers from other networks. We don’t want him to go, so we’re going to give him ‘The Tonight Show.’ “ I said, “Well, I’ve been number one for 12 years.” They said, “We know that, but we don’t think you can sustain that.” I said, “OK. How about until I fall to number two, then you fire me?” “No, we made this decision.” I said, “That’s fine.”

Don’t blame Conan O’Brien. Nice guy, good family guy, great guy. He and I have talked and not a problem since then. That’s what managers and people do, they try to get something for their clients. I said, “I’ll retire just to avoid what happened the last time.” OK.

So time goes by, and we stay number one up until the day we leave. We hand — [applause] — no, no. OK, but I’m leaving before my contract is out. About six to eight months early. So before I could go anywhere else, it would be at least a year or 18 months before I could go and do a show somewhere else.

I said to NBC, “Would you release me from my contract?” They said, “We want to keep you here.” OK.

“What are your ideas?” They said, “How about prime time?” I said, “That will never work.” “No, no, we want to put you on at 10. We have done focus groups. People will love you at 10.” . . . Four months go by, we don’t make it. Meanwhile, Conan’s show during the summer — we’re not on — was not doing well. The great hope was that we would help him. Well, we didn’t help him any. OK.

They come and go, “This show isn’t working. We want to let you go.” “Can you let me out of my contract?” “No, you’re still a valuable asset to this company.” How valuable can I be? You fired me twice. How valuable can I be? OK.

So then, the affiliates are not happy. The affiliates are the ones that own the TV stations. They’re the ones that sort of make the decisions. “They’re not happy with your performance, and Conan is not doing well at 11:30.” I said, “What’s your idea?” They said, “Well, look, how about you do a half-hour show at 11:30?” Now, where I come from, when your boss gives you a job and you don’t do it well — I think we did a good job here, but we didn’t get the ratings, so you get humbled. I said, “OK, I’m not crazy about doing a half-hour, but OK. What do you want to do with Conan?” “We’ll put him on at midnight, or 12:05, keeps ‘The Tonight Show’ does all that, he gets the whole hour.” I said, “OK. You think Conan will go for that?” “Yes, yes. [Laughter.] Almost guarantee you.” I said OK. Shake hands, that’s it. I don’t have a manager, I don’t have an agent, that’s my handshake deal.

Next thing, I see Conan . . . saying he doesn’t want to do that. They come back to me and they say, “If he decides to walk and doesn’t want to do it, do you want the show back?” I go, “Yeah, I’ll take the show back. If that’s what he wants to do. This way, we keep our people working, fine.”

So that’s pretty much where we are. It looks like we might be back at 11:30, I’m not sure. I don’t know. [Applause.] I don’t know. But through all of this — through all of this, Conan O’Brien has been a gentleman. He’s a good guy. I have no animosity towards him.

This is all business. If you don’t get the ratings, they take you off the air . . . You can do almost anything. You get ratings, they keep you. I don’t get ratings he wants. That was NBC’s solution. It didn’t work, so we might have an answer for you tomorrow.

So, we’ll see. That’s basically where it is.
I think this is the first time Jay has really spoken out about the whole thing. Apparently he never wanted to leave the Tonight Show in the first place, which I must say does put everything in a slightly different perspective. Still, I stand by my original assertion. If he'd turned them down he'd look like a hero. Instead, he looks like the villain, and NBC looks dumber than ever (and that's saying something.)

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-19-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #2148
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think this is the first time Jay has really spoken out about the whole thing. Apparently he never wanted to leave the Tonight Show in the first place, which I must say does put everything in a slightly different perspective. Still, I stand by my original assertion. If he'd turned them down he'd look like a hero. Instead, he looks like the villain, and NBC looks dumber than ever (and that's saying something.)
I never once thought he wanted to leave the Tonight Show on his own (that video of Leno linked a few posts ago is him saving face after being told behind closed doors that NBC wanted him out of the Tonight Show in 5 years). When the switch was first announced 5 years ago, it was obvious the announcement was made to keep Conan at NBC.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-19-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #2149
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I never once thought he wanted to leave the Tonight Show on his own (that video of Leno linked a few posts ago is him saving face after being told behind closed doors that NBC wanted him out of the Tonight Show in 5 years). When the switch was first announced 5 years ago, it was obvious the announcement was made to keep Conan at NBC.
Guess it was just my mistake then. I seem to remember hearing something about him wanting to retire. That's why I was surprised when I found out he was getting the prime-time show. I was thinking "Wtf, did he just change his mind?"
Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #2150
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

you're probably thinking of the clip posted above. He "humbles" himself compared to Johnny Carson, saying he couldn't possibly do the show into his 60s. But as far as I know, Jay only has four things in his life - his wife, his cars, standup (he still tours quite a bit), and his NBC show. So what does he have to retire for? He has no kids or grandkids he needs to spend time with. He could work into his 70s.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #2151
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Team Coco

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 01-20-2010 at 03:13 AM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #2152
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Well, we knew it was coming, but now it's official. Conan will host his final "Tonight Show" this week.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #2153
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

*sports cry

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #2154
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Well, we knew it was coming, but now it's official. Conan will host his final "Tonight Show" this week.
I really hope he goes to Fox. I feel like they allow a lot edgier comedy than NBC and I think Conan would kick ass. I definitely think he could challenge CBS and NBC with a new late night show there.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:20 AM   #2155
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I'm sure he'll be on the air somewhere come September 1st. I was under the impression that FOX was definitely talking to him, but I guess that was rumor at this point.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #2156
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

SPOILER discussion on Dexter follows.... so if you haven't seen all the episodes but want to don't read!

Due to an out of town business meeting this week and having several evenings with nothing to do because of that, I was able to finish S4 this week.

Okay.... S3 was good.... but S4 was pretty spectacular. Rarely do shows take leaps like that.... what a heart breaking experience for the viewer. I wonder where they will take this? Is Debra going to start piecing it together? Ice truck killer AND trinity becoming involved with Dexter? I can't wait to see where this story progresses.

It makes me mad at the same time, however, that Rita is gone. She was pretty much the only all good character on the show and I think she held Dexter together after the loss of Harry (not sure the gap in time between those two but...). Will Dexter Jr. do the same? I wonder, also, if the grandparents are going to be keeping Rita's other kids. Anyway, fun times ahead. That was truly one of those rare moments when a TV show moves me so emotionally... As soon as I heard the phone ring and the baby cry I got scared hoping it wasn't true but to see it..... The only other time I can think of was the ending of Six Feet Under. I hope Lost can do that..... anyway.... thanks for the suggestion mary.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 01-29-2010 at 11:20 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #2157
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

So is the last episode of Dollhouse on tonight?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #2158
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So is the last episode of Dollhouse on tonight?
according to my DVR it is. And reading the description.... it looks to be an odd one.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #2159
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Anyone here watch "Pawn Stars" on the history channel? I started watching this show last year, and I'm completely hooked.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #2160
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

LOST

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dary, dvr fail, fluff warning, fluffhouse 92, fluffy envy, got a bit fluffy in here, its getting fluff in here, legen, legendaryfail, shut the fluff up!, tag wasting, wait for it, you married your tv?