Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-13-2002, 03:55 PM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Woods might miss Mercedes

Tiger undergoes surgery on ailing left knee

NEW YORK (AP) -- Bothered by a sore left knee throughout the year, Tiger Woods had arthroscopic surgery this week and probably will miss the season-opening Mercedes Championships next month in Hawaii.

"From what I've been told, the operation went well," Woods said Friday on his web site, tigerwoods.com.

The one-hour surgery was performed Thursday by Thomas Rosenberg at the HealthSouth Surgical Center in Park City, Utah, to remove fluid inside and outside the anterior cruciate ligament. Benign cysts also were removed. Woods had surgery on the same knee in 1994 to remove a benign tumor.

If he doesn't play in the Mercedes Championships, it would be the first time an injury caused him to skip a tournament.

He first complained of soreness at the season-ending Tour Championship in early November, although Woods said it has bothered him all year.

It didn't affect his performance.

Woods became the first player in 30 years to win the Masters and U.S. Open in the same season. He won four other tournaments worldwide, three of them on the PGA Tour.

"I had been playing in pain most of the year and felt it was time to take care of it," Woods said.

He will be off his feet for the next week-to-10 days, then begin light rehabilitation. Woods had planned to spend part of the holidays in Sweden with his girlfriend.

He said he most likely will miss the winners-only Mercedes Championships, which starts Jan. 9 at Kapalua. Woods might not play again until Feb. 13 in the Buick Invitational.

He had the knee examined after the Tour Championship and reported inflammation, which he treated with ice and anti-inflammatory drugs.

Woods then played three consecutive weeks. He finished eighth in Japan, won the PGA Grand Slam of Golf in Hawaii with rounds of 66-61 for a 14-stroke victory, won four skins in the Skins Game to finish last, and was runner-up last week in the Target World Challenge.

During the final round, he was limping badly after hitting out of thick rough from an uphill lie on the ninth hole. Asked whether he was hurt, Woods replied, "Same old thing."

Rosenberg described the surgery as "uneventful," and said a full recovery was expected over the next couple of months."

Woods has been relatively injury-free since turning professional in 1996. He had a stinger in his left wrist when he tried to hit through a softball-sized rock at the 1999 Tour Championship in Houston.

He also sprained ligaments in his left knee at the 2001 Pebble Beach National Pro-Am when a fan accidentally tripped him up while trying to get an autograph. Woods had a sore Achilles' tendon during the U.S. Open that year at Southern Hills.

Woods has won the Mercedes twice, including a duel with Ernie Els in 2000 when matched eagles on the 72nd hole and birdied the first playoff hole before Woods won with a 40-foot birdie putt on the second extra hole
Old 12-13-2002, 07:26 PM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

It´s a new fashion...
Old 12-13-2002, 08:54 PM   #3
cin

cin is on a distinguished road

There it is Chiwas:
Tiger Woods is an Eddie Najera wanna be.
That surgery is the closest he'll ever get. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:17 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Poor Tiger, cin. He´ll never have the feeling of a big slam! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I mean, in the basketball game.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 10:08 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty sure Tiger is fairly happy with his current gig.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 10:37 AM   #6
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

They were replaying the '72 Brittish Open on the Golf Channel on Friday. People like to toss out that Nicklaus always had people nipping at his heals, whereas Tiger dominates the field. All I have to say is Trevino was an incredibly lucky bastard.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 12:12 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

<< All I have to say is Trevino was an incredibly lucky bastard. >>

ROFL!