Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-21-2002, 04:42 PM   #1
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Associated Press

DETROIT -- Walkerville 115, Lakeshore 2.

And it could have been worse. A lot worse.

"What do you tell our girls? Not to play?" Walkerville High athletics director Ron Stoneman said Wednesday, a day after his state-ranked school stomped winless Hart Lakeshore Public Academy in a girls basketball playoff game.

"It had the potential to be really, really bad."

The blowout left Lakeshore academics director Steve Hamilton seething about a lack of sportsmanship.

"To me, if you run up the score like that, you have to answer for yourself," Hamilton said. "I have my doubts about a school that would go and run up a school by 100 points."

Walkerville coach Steve Kirwin said he doesn't schedule teams like Lakeshore, which has a student body of 50 in grades nine through 12, during the regular season. But during the playoffs, "You play who they tell you to play."

Kirwin said he promoted girls from the junior varsity and freshmen teams, and did not use his normal pressure defense against overmatched Lakeshore.

By halftime, Kirwin said, three girls hadn't scored. So he said only they could shoot. But after they scored, then what?

"I'm not going to tell my kids to not continue to play," Kirwin said. "It's not that we wanted to score a ton of points."

Both Walkerville and Lakeshore noted that the Michigan High School Athletic Association did away with a differential rule during the offseason. Under the old rule, the clock ran continuously if a team built a 40-point lead in the second half and maintained at least a 30-point advantage.

MHSAA assistant director Nate Hampton said the association dropped the rule to meet guidelines set by the National Federation of State High School Associations.

Hampton said the rule helped spare teams from embarrassment or humiliation but added that "coaching tactics or strategies" can be used instead.

A 115-2 score "is what we've been guarding against the last several years," Hampton said.

Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2002, 11:48 PM   #2
Super Slow Mo

Super Slow Mo is on a distinguished road

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!
Super Slow Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:13 AM   #3
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really follow Women's College B-ball much, but as ESPN was scrolling through scores, one caught my eye. Tennessee beat some team with a score of 138-28 (give or take a few a points). Wow.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:40 AM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Texas Southern's 16 points break 1983 record

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Texas Christian set an NCAA record for fewest points allowed when the Lady Frogs beat Texas Southern 76-16 on Monday night.

The 16 points allowed broke a nearly 20-year-old NCAA record for fewest points in an NCAA game. Prairie View scored 19 points against Jackson State in 1983.

"To hold a national record defensively, I think, is a credit to our team," TCU coach Jeff Mittie said.

TCU also set a school record with 16 blocked shots and outrebounded Texas Southern 62-34.

The Lady Frogs (6-5) jumped to a 15-0 lead and built a 39-5 lead by halftime as Texas Southern made just 2 of 25 shots from the field.

Texas Southern (2-7) shot just better than 10 percent (6-of-58) for the game and had 29 turnovers.

At one point, Texas Southern went without a field goal from Victoria Jones' layup with 13:32 remaining in the first half until Patricia Hunter's short jumper with 13:25 left in the game made the score 55-7.

"This game shocks me a little bit because they played a good schedule," Mittie said. "This was a case of us being very good at times and them just struggling."

Grace Gantt led TCU with 16 points, and Sandora Irvin had 15 points and 12 rebounds.

Jennifer Hickmon had five points for Texas Southern, which was coming off a 67-46 loss against Texas A&M on Sunday.

The record win came just two days after TCU beat a Top 10 team for the first time in school history, a 70-53 victory over then-No. 9 Vanderbilt on Saturday night.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 01:59 PM   #5
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Texas Southern (2-7) shot just better than 10 percent (6-of-58) for the game and had 29 turnovers

I wonder who they beat.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote