Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #2161
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
WojYahooNBA

Ignore spin out of this Hornets-Chris Paul meeting. He wants out. They don't want to trade him. Nothing's changed, except there's a new GM.
another man's thoughts

Quote:
STEIN_LINE_HQ

You can rest assured teams will keep calling about CP3 availability as they have for months. But Hornets will be encouraged by day's events

The good Ol days : Click

Last edited by quietsavant; 07-26-2010 at 01:01 PM.
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #2162
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...-usa-scrimmage

Chandler looks healthy in Team USA scrimmage..

This run with Team USA, which Tyson Chandler hopes takes him all the way to Turkey for the World Championships, could be just the thing the the 7-foot-1 center stung by injuries the past two seasons needs to jumpstart his upcoming season with the Dallas Mavericks.

The Mavs will like what they saw Saturday night out of their bearded center as Chandler scored 13 points and added nine rebounds in the first Team USA scrimmage in Las Vegas. Chandler's White team, lead by Kevin Durant''s 28 points, ousted the Blue squad, 114-96. Chandler was 6-of-6 from the floor, mostly throwing down two-handed jams.

Chandler, who ran the floor well and showed the Team USA brass what it really wanted to see with four blocked shots in some 20 minutes of action, appears to be a lock to move on with the 15 players who will make Monday's expected first cut and continue on with training camp in New York. He's also likely the favorite to make the team because the center pool is extraordinarily thin with just New Jersey's Brook Lopez and Washington's JaVale McGee, who's is coming off a strong summer-league showing, involved in the Team USA training camp. Reports out of Las Vegas suggest that all three centers could be moving on to New York.

Chandler told NBA.com Thursday that he likes how he's progressing. He missed 68 games the past two years due to ankle injuries.

"I had a great summer, as far as training," Chandler said. "But coming here in basketball shape is totally different. So the last couple of days I've been able to get my legs under me. And every day I've progressed."

Assuming Chandler moves on to New York, he'll play against two of his new teammates on Aug. 15 when Team USA takes on France at Madison Square Garden. Mavs guard Roddy Beaubois and free-agent center pickup Ian Mahinmi play for the French squad.

The FIBA World Championships begin on Aug. 28 in Turkey.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #2163
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/vid...t-me-up-a-lot/
Old 07-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #2164
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

But will Kidd set him up alot? I don't think Kidd has the ability to do half the things Paul did. I'm not sure he's quick enough anymore to get the max out of Chandler. I do think Chandler will be back to N.O. form when he dominated us, it will just depend on how well we can utilize him.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #2165
KIDD2

KIDD2 can only hope to improve

^^^^ WHAT? KIDD WILL MAKE TC LOOK LIKE AN ALL STAR KIDD IS DA BEST PLAYMAKER IN DA LEAGUE KIDD MAKES EVRYONE LOOK GOOD
KIDD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #2166
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
But will Kidd set him up alot? I don't think Kidd has the ability to do half the things Paul did. I'm not sure he's quick enough anymore to get the max out of Chandler. I do think Chandler will be back to N.O. form when he dominated us, it will just depend on how well we can utilize him.
I never really saw Kidd having an issue running forward on breaks last season. Not quick enough on defense, sure, but didn't see a running forward issue.

Haywood/Chandler is a problem most teams would love to have.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #2167
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Kidd will find him in the open court, but in a half court set, pick and roll, no way, Paul will draw 3 defenders in a pick and roll, and just throw over the top. All the defenders will give kidd the space to work , Kidd just has to pull up and shoot the mid range when he's given, with his IQ, he should be able to figure that out. No doubt Chandler will get opportunities, but not quite as much as with Paul, maybe with Boobs, if he learns to run the offense and use others as weapons.
Kidd Karma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #2168
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I never really saw Kidd having an issue running forward on breaks last season. Not quick enough on defense, sure, but didn't see a running forward issue.

Haywood/Chandler is a problem most teams would love to have.
Haywood/Chandler isn't the problem. I like having them.

No offense but, Really you didn't address my post at all . Besides, Running forward on breaks isn't what I meant. I think it's slipping picks and catching lobs etc, but that sometimes derives from the threat of penetration from CP. Kidd needs to re-capture that ability to get the max out of Chandler. Can he do it? Not at that level and Roddy has a long way to go to understand how that works. I have a little more hope in Dojo than those two in doing that.

Last edited by SMC0007; 07-27-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #2169
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Chandler's play in that NO playoff series a couple of years was keyed by CP penetration. Kidd hasn't been able to penetrate like that in at least 5 years. Give Kidd Beaubois's speed and you might have something.

Kidd's best use going forward is going to be as a 6th man.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #2170
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Haywood/Chandler isn't the problem. I like having them.

No offense but, Really you didn't address my post at all . Besides, Running forward on breaks isn't what I meant. I think it's slipping picks and catching lobs etc, but that sometimes derives from the threat of penetration from CP. Kidd needs to re-capture that ability to get the max out of Chandler. Can he do it? Not at that level and Roddy has a long way to go to understand how that works. I have a little more hope in Dojo than those two in doing that.
Well maybe your point blows .

Assuming Roddy starts, I think the combo of him and Kidd should be enough to keep Chandler active around the basket offensively. All Roddy needs to do is drive and kick or drive and find the open guy. I can't see why that would be difficult with his ability to break down the defense. Kidd will be able to get Chandler the ball. Maybe not at CP3 rates, but how many players are as good as Paul anyway?

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 07-27-2010 at 01:54 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #2171
KINGBEEF

KINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Well maybe your point blows .

Assuming Roddy starts, I think the combo of him and Kidd should be enough to keep Chandler active around the basket offensively. All Roddy needs to do is drive and kick or drive and find the open guy. I can't see why that would be difficult with his ability to break down the defense. Kidd will be able to get Chandler the ball. Maybe not at CP3 rates, but how many players are as good as Paul anyway?
I agree with you 100%. Roddy only has to do what he does best drive to the basket and dish if the lane closes. Chandler will have a field day catching the leftovers once the extra man slides over to try and stop whomever penetrates.

I like DOJO and Roddy B, because the both of them are penetrating guards first and jump shooters second. I've played basketball all of my life and you can recognize the people with a high basketball I.Q. a mile away
Old 07-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #2172
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2010/7/...icks-and-chris
Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #2173
blessednegr0

blessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to all

Hear me out guys. I really think we should make a play for Rudy Fernandez. This guy would be a dynamic scorer with Kidd finding him and with Dirk taking double and triple teams. Dont jump down my throat quite yet...

I know we have Roddy. I don't want Roddy losing PT. But he can get = or more then what he got last year. If we can some how unload Terry to maybe the bulls? Or someone else who has cap... Then we would be set. I love Terry like no other. But he doesn't give us enough on offense and he definitely inconsistent. And his defense is non existent.

This also allows us to move Caron to his natural position where he shines. That line up is very good and balanced. And with two great defensive centers I think Rudys inconsistancies on defense can be covered up a bit. But all and all it wouldn't be worse then JET.

It still leaves us with all of our MLE and BAE. Tolliver if Thomas doesn't work out? We need to get both younger and better. Getting rudy does that. Maybe even offer a TPE for Marvin Williams if Marion isn't happy or if we still need help with a back up 4

So imagine a line up of:

Kidd/Roddy/Barea
Fernandez/Roddy/Dojo or Stevenson
Butler/Marion/Tim Thomas
Dirk/Marion/Tim Thomas
Haywood/Chandler/Mahini (spelling wrong)
blessednegr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #2174
blessednegr0

blessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to all

I also think Roddy would be pretty damn good attacking a teams 2nd string players. And Rudy would be consistent enough to be a good 3rd option with Dirk/Butler taking a good share of the offense shots
Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #2175
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Rudy is garbage. He can't create his own shot. He goes through insane dry spells. He can't play any defense.

No thanks.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-27-2010 at 10:45 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #2176
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Rudy is garbage. He can't create his own shot. He goes through insane dry spells. He can't play any defense.

No thanks.
He sounds like...
Too easy, I'll pass.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #2177
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
He sounds like...
Too easy, I'll pass.
Terry can create his own shot, he just rarely takes it to the rim
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #2178
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

No thanks.
You watch a lot of Trailblazers games? You definitely have a different take on him than I do I've seen Fernandez play about 20 times over the past couple of years. His reputation was as a spot-up shooter coming in, and he's been about what was expected as a shooter. But he has also been surprisingly productive in open-court situations. He and Sergio Rodriguez also had a decent connection on lobs. He's not great at creating off the dribble, but that's not what you'd be bringing him in for. No, he's not a physical player, and no, he's not a defender. But given the current roster, the Mavericks are not going to be a lock-down defensive team on anyone (cf Kidd at the point and Dirk at PF).

Additional considerations are that Fernandez his 25 y.o. and 6.6, and a pure shooter. He's got a contract at $1.25 million with 1 year to go.

Terry's 32 and 6.1, and a streak shooter, with two years to go at $10.5 million and $11.4 million. His career trajectory as a slow, 6.1 combo guard is heading downward, to put it nicely. He's not going to become more explosive, more consistent, or any better defender.

Mavericks followers pretty much know Terry's game, and know not to count on him. Fernandez is a young player with a valuable skill (distance shooting) and room to improve the rest of his game. He wants out of Portland, and he's one of the few 2's available without a payroll busting albatross of a contract.

If there were ANY way that Nelson could ship Terry away and fill that slot with Fernandez he'd be a fool not to jump on it. Clear long-term upgrade over Terry.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #2179
blessednegr0

^ Thats what I am saying right there. And compare Portlands Roster to the Mavericks. Mavericks are basically an instant upgrade for Rudy Fernandez game style. I think he can be much more dynamic.

And its not so much Rudy being our two guard... But a combination of things.

Jason Terry gone. No more mismatches on D or 3 PG line up.

Caron moves to the 3 (This is better then Fernandez playing the 2. Caron will light it up here.)

And our bench is straight nasty. Barea/Roddy/Marion/Tim Thomas/Chandler. Start them and they beat a few teams in the east.

Its a low risk high reward. Its not like he's on a max contract... The guy is making pennies. Why let one of our TPE waste when we can pick him up for a TPE and maybe some 2nd rounders...

With Kidd finding him... With Dirk and Caron penetrating and clogging up the mid-range game why not get a taller guard who can knock down an open 3? And can grow with the team being only 25 years of age. (Also, you guys may want to watch Rudy Fernandez against the USA team...)

REALISTICALLY what other means do we have to get better? Trade Terry for an ALL IN type move? Terry and pieces for Gilbert Arenas? (I think Gilbert would be pretty nice as our two guard.) But we have much less to lose with Rudy Fernandez being here.

And I am about 98% sure we won't get Chris Paul.

What other ideas you guys have to make us instantly better?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #2180
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Terry can create his own shot, he just rarely takes it to the rim
Dribbling around and proceeding to take a contested jumper is not really "creating his own shot".
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:21 AM   #2181
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
You watch a lot of Trailblazers games? You definitely have a different take on him than I do I've seen Fernandez play about 20 times over the past couple of years. His reputation was as a spot-up shooter coming in, and he's been about what was expected as a shooter. But he has also been surprisingly productive in open-court situations. He and Sergio Rodriguez also had a decent connection on lobs. He's not great at creating off the dribble, but that's not what you'd be bringing him in for. No, he's not a physical player, and no, he's not a defender. But given the current roster, the Mavericks are not going to be a lock-down defensive team on anyone (cf Kidd at the point and Dirk at PF).
I live in Portland. I've watched about 140 blazer games over the past two years. Rudy is garbage.

The funny thing is, I don't even need stats to back up why I don't like him. He's strictly a spot up shooter (unless his spanish bud sergio was giving him lob passes two years ago, and then I'd rather roddy get those anyway). Dribble? No way. Shot off the dribble? No freaking way. He's a prima dona, without a reason to be. He pouts. He uses way too much hair gel. Etc. Oh, and I can't tell you how many times Nate had to get in his ass for being a complete moron on defensive rotations.

For the sake of argument though, lets say he WAS a great spot up shooter. Lets say that fit our needs. In 23 min per game past year he scored 8 points on 37PERCENT SHOOTING.

I'm not saying Terry is the answer to our SG problems. I'm just saying that Rudy Freakin' Fernandez definitely is NOT.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-28-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:25 AM   #2182
fluid.forty.one

2009-2010 Jason Terry: 16 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds, 44% shooting, 37% 3 point shooting, 86% ft, 1.4 turnovers in 33 minutes off the bench.

2009-2010 Rudy Fernandez: 8 points, 2 assists, 2.6 rebounds, 37% shooting, 37% 3 point shooting, 86% ft, 1.2 turnovers in 23 minutes off the bench.

Don't believe the hype.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-28-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #2183
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

2009-2010 Jason Terry: 16 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds, 44% shooting, 37% 3 point shooting, 86% ft, 1.4 turnovers in 33 minutes off the bench.

OK he's looking good in regular season.But in the playoff he is terrible.

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #2184
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessednegr0 View Post
And I am about 98% sure we won't get Chris Paul.

What other ideas you guys have to make us instantly better?
Wait.

If we can't get Paul, then there's nobody left right now who can instantly put us over the top...

No point in bogging down payroll for several years on someone like Gilbert Arenas - he's definitely a talent, but he's not a lock to put us over the top, especially when he's sitting on the sidelines wearing a suit.

Dirk's window will stay open for a couple more seasons - no point in slamming it shut prematurely. There's always an opportunity to make "the big trade" next season or the season after (wouldn't you rather have 'Melo than Gil?)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #2185
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

If they can get Paul and Okafor for Butler, Terry, Roddy, Ajinca and 6M --
Dallas is set. (Fair balance IMO of youth, vets, talent, savings, money)

Paul at PG (creator), Kidd at SG (spot up), Marion (clean up), Dirk, Haywood (picks, etc)
DoJo (slasher), Okafor (inside post backup PF), Chandler (athletic Big), Stevenson (lockdown defender), JJB (3rd PG behind Kidd and Paul), Mahinmi ( - 6 fouls)

Fernandez or Webster - several others would be a nice addition if they could get one with a TPE -- but in general they would already be set.

IMO, the key is getting Paul and keeping Chandler and Haywood (Dirk is without question).

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #2186
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Wait.

If we can't get Paul, then there's nobody left right now who can instantly put us over the top...

No point in bogging down payroll for several years on someone like Gilbert Arenas - he's definitely a talent, but he's not a lock to put us over the top, especially when he's sitting on the sidelines wearing a suit.

Dirk's window will stay open for a couple more seasons - no point in slamming it shut prematurely. There's always an opportunity to make "the big trade" next season or the season after (wouldn't you rather have 'Melo than Gil?)

Oh man. Please don't get some of these people started on the "Melo" train, joking or not. Jesus, there will be no end to this. There always seems to be a new star that can come here and team up with Dirk. Melo is NOT going to come here, in NBA players minds this is small market hick town or retirementville unless you are offering a max contract to someone who isn't being offered relatively the same amount from other teams.

I said this about Lebron and it won't be ANY different with Melo. These guys don't want to come here and play with a big white dood that doesn't get respect from refs, isn't flashy, hip or outspoken. They don't see Dirk the way we do. My guess is that we won't see another top tier player that is clamoring to come here while Dirk is here. If we make a trade for someone, thats obviously a different story as they most likely won't have a choice but aside from posturing and using us for leverage, big names don't seem very interested.

Last edited by SMC0007; 07-28-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #2187
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

2009-2010 Rudy Fernandez: 8 points, 2 assists, 2.6 rebounds, 37% shooting, 37% 3 point shooting, 86% ft, 1.2 turnovers in 23 minutes off the bench.

Don't believe the hype.
This doesn't include age at all. Terry is inevitably going to decline, and though it can be debated, Rudy is certainly should be getting better this offseason. Why can't he be more like his rookie season? You said you watched him a lot; if you knew we were getting the 08-09 Fernandez would you do the deal?

The other reason I like this is because of the minutes. If Terry's on the team, as a vet and all, I'm afraid the coaches will feel the pressure to play him his 30-33 minutes a game. Rudy just needs 20. That's 10-13 more minutes spread between Roddy and Butler and Dojo. That's a good thing.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #2188
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

The way I see it we probably can't make any big deals anymore. I think we ought to aim at making our SG spot more solid. There are only a few options at this point, some that come to my mind are - Rudy Fernandez, Tracy Mcgrady, and Delonte West. I have only seen highlights of Fernandez, so I can't really give a fair description of him. But I'd like to have him here, since he's young, he's 6'6, and his contract is cheap. T-Mac is finished imho, he would be an absolute last resort.

But it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up here. We have a near tradition of bringing these players who were good five years ago to our team and hoping they can recapture some of their old magic. And Delonte West is an option too. Delonte West is literally a MotherF*cker but I probably wouldn't mind him here. Just hope everyone keeps an eye on their mothers if we signed him. He's 6'4, a pretty good shooter, and he has some athletic ability. He can also handle the ball and he'd help our spacing.

We already know what we're going to get from Jet, so I think we ought to take a gamble on West. And West would also be able to play backup PG, which is better than watching JJ Barea pound the rock on offense and then get abused on defense.

So we'd have a lineup of
Kidd/Roddy/West
West/Roddy/Jet
Butler/Marion
Dirk/Marion
Haywood/Chandler
The two things I like about a signing of West, is that he allows Butler to be able to play at his natural spot at the 3. And he'd reduce the usage of Barea/Jet.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #2189
FiZth

FiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Paul at PG (creator), Kidd at SG (spot up), Marion (clean up), Dirk, Haywood (picks, etc)
DoJo (slasher), Okafor (inside post backup PF), Chandler (athletic Big), Stevenson (lockdown defender), JJB (3rd PG behind Kidd and Paul), Mahinmi ( - 6 fouls)
That's Lakers nightmare roster. Great length, stud at the PG position, great lockdown defenders for Kobe (Marion+Stevenson) and good help defenders (Kidd+Paul), as I remember Artest don't defend Dirk very well so he would be quite useless for Lakers.
FiZth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #2190
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiZth View Post
That's Lakers nightmare roster. Great length, stud at the PG position, great lockdown defenders for Kobe (Marion+Stevenson) and good help defenders (Kidd+Paul), as I remember Artest don't defend Dirk very well so he would be quite useless for Lakers.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #2191
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
I live in Portland. I've watched about 140 blazer games over the past two years. Rudy is garbage.

The funny thing is, I don't even need stats to back up why I don't like him. He's strictly a spot up shooter (unless his spanish bud sergio was giving him lob passes two years ago, and then I'd rather roddy get those anyway). Dribble? No way. Shot off the dribble? No freaking way. He's a prima dona, without a reason to be. He pouts. He uses way too much hair gel. Etc. Oh, and I can't tell you how many times Nate had to get in his ass for being a complete moron on defensive rotations.

For the sake of argument though, lets say he WAS a great spot up shooter. Lets say that fit our needs. In 23 min per game past year he scored 8 points on 37PERCENT SHOOTING.

I'm not saying Terry is the answer to our SG problems. I'm just saying that Rudy Freakin' Fernandez definitely is NOT.
Wasn't he injured last year for a stretch? And the reason he wants out of Portland is that he's playing BEHIND Roy, and doesnt'feel like McMillian's system is givng him an opportunity to develop--maybe even that there's some kind of personal negative situation with McMillian. That will mess up a guy's numbers, not to mention his attitude.

I'm looking at what he does well (outside shooting) which happens to coincide nicely with what the Mavericks need. His contract, his availability and his potential to improve (v. Terry's lack of upside) make him attractive.

Even if Fernandez is just a lateral move, that's more lateral movement than the Mavericks will be seeing out of Jason Terry.

Just writing him off as 'garbage' sounds like you might have a different issue with him.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #2192
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Even if Fernandez is just a lateral move, that's more lateral movement than the Mavericks will be seeing out of Jason Terry.
ZING!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #2193
fluid.forty.one

Quote:

Just writing him off as 'garbage' sounds like you might have a different issue with him.
I'm pretty sure I laid out all my issues with him.

Injured or not, a player cannot shoot 37% for a SEASON. He still played 62 games.

Quote:
I'm looking at what he does well (outside shooting) which happens to coincide nicely with what the Mavericks need. His contract, his availability and his potential to improve (v. Terry's lack of upside) make him attractive.
If you're looking at this strictly from a financial move, it's great. Dumping Terry's 20million for a few mill that probably won't even stay.. yes that's an awesome move. Trying to make it seem like a good "on the court" decision, especially in a WIN NOW mentality, doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
And the reason he wants out of Portland is that he's playing BEHIND Roy, and doesnt'feel like McMillian's system is givng him an opportunity to develop--maybe even that there's some kind of personal negative situation with McMillian. That will mess up a guy's numbers, not to mention his attitude.
First of all, he's not NEARLY good enough to have any sort of issues with anything like minutes or rotation. He's got a huge attitude and I've watched him quit on games countless times because he didn't get a shot in a certain scenario or whatever. Also, I don't see him getting more than the 23 min per game here so how do we help that attitude at all (even if we WANTED to try to cater to some mediocre cry baby like that)

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-28-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #2194
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
This doesn't include age at all. Terry is inevitably going to decline, and though it can be debated, Rudy is certainly should be getting better this offseason. Why can't he be more like his rookie season? You said you watched him a lot; if you knew we were getting the 08-09 Fernandez would you do the deal?

The other reason I like this is because of the minutes. If Terry's on the team, as a vet and all, I'm afraid the coaches will feel the pressure to play (Terry) his 30-33 minutes a game. Rudy just needs 20. That's 10-13 more minutes spread between Roddy and Butler and Dojo. That's a good thing.
Seeing how Rudy got super angry going from 30 minutes to 23 minutes, I don't get why everyone thinks he'll be down to play even less for the mavs.

Anyway, he got worse after his first season, but even then he wasn't that great. I honestly don't understand the love Rudy is getting. Besides, isn't he on the last year of his contract? Who says we even keep him if this is a "future" thing. All reports I've heard is that he ultimately wants to go back to spain.

He's not a short term fix because his numbers suck (37%. over 62 games. come on. +his prima dona ways, pouting and horrible, horrible defense)... and I'm pretty sure he won't stay once his contract is done... and even if he wanted to stay, I'd say that Roddy and Dojo are much better long term fixes.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-28-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #2195
BGMaverick9
Guru

Chandler survived the first cut. As long as he doesn't have a setback, he should be a lock to make the team in Turkey.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #2196
BGMaverick9
Guru

Roddy has been busy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WWMPH4Algs
Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #2197
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Roddy is funny guy.Hallo THX for calling Dallas Mavericks hahaha

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR

Last edited by 41mvp; 07-28-2010 at 03:00 PM.
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #2198
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Fluid is obviously blinded by his intense hatred for the TrailBlazers. I too have seen many Portland games, and watched Rudy play FIBA ball for Spain.

Last year he was HURT for most of the year, poorly managed by Nate, and upset with his role. His rookie year he set AN NBA ROOKIE RECORD by hitting 159 threes at a very good clip of 40%. Also, Rudy has MUCH more of a game than being just a spot up shooter. That's part of why Rudy is upset in Portland. He's NOT just a spot up shooter, even though Nate has tried to use him that way. He's extremely athletic, and has some moves off the dribble. I remember how impressive he was when he single handedly kept Spain in the game against the US, including this SICK throwdown and 1 on D12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47VLce11WDM

I'm not saying Rudy is an all-star, but he's a much better player than you're playing him out to be, and he's better than Terry at this point.

Last edited by CadBane; 07-28-2010 at 03:54 PM.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #2199
KINGBEEF

KINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the rough

IMO... we need to get him on our team like pronto!!! The guy is an assassin from the arch. All BS aside, when he's on, his shot is almost as automatic as KORVER!!! And on top of all of that he's taller than the JET. I say make the move and get him here before it's too late
Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #2200
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I said this about Lebron and it won't be ANY different with Melo.
So Melo's already made up his mind on where he wants to go? That doesn't seem to be much of a knock on the Mavs.
Dirkadirkastan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 6feetunderdog, ban cad, big thread kill board, cad is a troll, cadbane=vagina dentana, cadpain in the ass, fell=fail, fluid guzzler!, fluidfartyone!, gay tags, grandma cigarettes, it's a race no running!?!, mammoth gortat, mammoth knockers, mammoth thread, miami cheat, more bloody cuntbane, shut the fluff up, smc = sucks many c*cks, then stop posting in it, underdog=legallyretarded, we luv us sum fluffy, where is fluffy?, wtf is fell?...