Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #1241
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
If it's 2% that they'll miss the playoffs then yeah, I would say the chances of them winning it all would be bigger...but not by much. Most of the "stock" or percentages would go very heavy on NY and Tampa. Even with 8 teams, I'd still say their chances are low because I don't believe they'll beat either of those two teams. Its more wide open in the NL.
A quick perusal of five gambling sites as the Rangers as the consensus second favorite behind the Yankees to win the World Series. The favorite (by Vegas) in a Rangers/Rays series would probably be completely determined by home field advantage.

So I think it's accurate to say discussing the World Series is far more appropriate than discussing whether they will make the playoffs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 08-29-2010 at 11:42 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #1242
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
When Ranger beat writers are attempting to find the exact right 140 characters to berate and tweet about Harden, as many of them have been, my point is a foregone conclusion.

The central point remains, what have the Rangers EVER done in the last ten years to make anyone optimistic? The answer remains: Nothing. Thus the big ass party we will throw when they actually do officially make the playoffs, and not a moment before.
As far as I'm concerned, what the Rangers have done the last 10 years is irrelevant. Different players, different managers, different owners, different team. It just doesn't matter. Hell, the Red Sox had gone 100 years without winning a WS, were down 3-0 to the Yankees, and managed to come back and win the whole thing that year. Their past history was completely irrelevant.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #1243
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
A quick perusal of five gambling sites as the Rangers as the consensus second favorite behind the Yankees to win the World Series. The favorite (by Vegas) in a Rangers/Rays series would probably be completely determined by home field advantage.

So I think it's accurate to say discussing the World Series is far more appropriate than discussing whether they will make the playoffs.
I would say the chances are better if the Rangers had HFA over Tampa, I'd really give them little chance if they had to go on the road to Tampa...their pitchers are dramatically better playing at home.

I just don't buy into the Rangers, their record against the AL East is very suspect.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #1244
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Cantu was worse than bad today. He was pathetic, and not just at the plate.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #1245
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
As far as I'm concerned, what the Rangers have done the last 10 years is irrelevant. Different players, different managers, different owners, different team. It just doesn't matter. Hell, the Red Sox had gone 100 years without winning a WS, were down 3-0 to the Yankees, and managed to come back and win the whole thing that year. Their past history was completely irrelevant.
And it's not like the Rangers have ever been in first place and utterly collapsed or anything. People talking about the Rangers 'wilting' in the summer heat, etc. is all bs. The Rangers haven't had a team this good.

Records on August 29 the last however many years:

2010: 73-57 (7.5 games ahead of OAK)
2009: 72-56 (4 games back of LAA; finished 10 games back of LAA)
2008: 66-70 (17.5 games back of LAA; finished 21 games back of LAA)
2007: 60-72 (18 games back of LAA; finished 19 games back of LAA)
2006: 68-65 (8 games back of OAK; finished 13 games back of OAK)
2005: 62-68 (12 games back of LAA; finished 18 games back of LAA)
2004: 73-56 (3.5 back of OAK; finished 3 back of LAA)
2003: 61-74 (19 games back of OAK; finished 25 games back)
2002: 60-72 (22 games back of OAK; finished 31 games back)

How many of those years were the Rangers really "in it" on August 29? 2004, 2009, and 2010. I think the only time the team has been in contention and 'faded' is last year. The only example.

The past is completely irrelevant. Even if it weren't, it's not like the Rangers have ever been in this situation before and failed. In the past decade, they've never been ahead, much less this far ahead, much less this late in the season with such sub-par division opponents.

People don't remember the Rangers' history very well. They've generally just not had very good teams in the past. It's not a matter of collapsing at the end, a la the '07 Mets. It's a matter of not being very good, and facing two, sometimes three good division opponents every year. That's not the case this year.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 08-29-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #1246
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

I find our offense offensive. Besides Josh Hamilton sitting there in the middle, the entire lineup is made up of players who can't hit or who aren't hitting. Please, please, please come back this week Nellie, like reports have said.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #1247
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Nellie should be in the lineup tomorrow and Kinsler will be back by the end of this coming week. It was pointed out in today's game that, given the Rangers faced back to back to back left handed pitchers that Nellie and Kinsler have crushed LHP this year. That could have been a very different series with them both healthy. HOPEFULLY by the end of this coming week we are looking at something like the following lineup for the rest of the year and into the playoffs:

SS - Andrus
3B - Young
CF - Baseball God
DH - Vlad
2B - Kinsler
RF - Cruz
LF - Murphy
1B - Moreland
C - Molina

You can get Treanor in there at times for Molina and Borbon in there for Murphy (with Hamilton sliding back to LF and Julio moving to CF). Cantu will get some 1B starts as well if a lefty is on the mound. The point is, look at that lineup above and you see why we are such a talented team. That lineup is very, very strong. We just have to stay healthy.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #1248
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Nellie should be in the lineup tomorrow and Kinsler will be back by the end of this coming week. It was pointed out in today's game that, given the Rangers faced back to back to back left handed pitchers that Nellie and Kinsler have crushed LHP this year. That could have been a very different series with them both healthy. HOPEFULLY by the end of this coming week we are looking at something like the following lineup for the rest of the year and into the playoffs:

SS - Andrus
3B - Young
CF - Baseball God
DH - Vlad
2B - Kinsler
RF - Cruz
LF - Murphy
1B - Moreland
C - Molina

You can get Treanor in there at times for Molina and Borbon in there for Murphy (with Hamilton sliding back to LF and Julio moving to CF). Cantu will get some 1B starts as well if a lefty is on the mound. The point is, look at that lineup above and you see why we are such a talented team. That lineup is very, very strong. We just have to stay healthy.
I am a fan of that lineup. I personally would probably switch Kinsler and Cruz. But either way is fine. I'm just ready for us to have a full lineup again.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #1249
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage View Post
I am a fan of that lineup. I personally would probably switch Kinsler and Cruz. But either way is fine. I'm just ready for us to have a full lineup again.
You would want Kinsler in the 5 spot in my opinion because of his ability to get on base. You have to assume with Hamilton/Vlad being 1/2 in HRs and RBI that they are going to typically knock runs in for us and clear bases with HRs so you want a guy like Kinsler with a little pop but mainly a good OBP in front of Cruz so when Cruz comes up he will hopefully have a guy on base to maximize his power. The problem with two power guys in a row is that you will have a lot of solo shots. Get a good OBP guy in front of a power guy to have 2+ run HRs. After all, only Hamilton has a higher OBP this year than Ian and only Kinsler is even close to having as many walks as Ks.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 08-30-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #1250
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd personally look to moving Young further down the lineup and Kinsler further up the lineup if Kinsler comes out swinging the bat really well... but I know it'll won't happen.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #1251
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I'd personally look to moving Young further down the lineup and Kinsler further up the lineup if Kinsler comes out swinging the bat really well... but I know it'll won't happen.
That is actually a really good point. Having Kinsler bat 2nd would be ideal. I think given the OBP factor, I would then want Cruz batting 5th and Young 6th, but either way would be OK with me I guess. Ultimately Murphy is right though, the BEST possible lineup consists of one that has the best chance to get guys on base for your power hitters. That would consist of:

1 - Andrus
2 - Kinsler
3 - Hamilton
4 - Vlad
5 - Cruz
6 - Young
7 - Murphy
8 - Moreland
9 - Molina

That puts two guys with a decent to good average and most likely to take a walk right in front of Hamilton, Vlad, and Cruz and it allows Young to knock any guys in that are still on base (he would have many more opportunities to drive in runs hitting here instead of batting after Moreland/Molina/Andrus). The problem is that Young has struggled with the BEST protection in the majors hitting right after him so what happens if he now has Murphy hitting after him (or Moreland in the games Borbon plays)? Maybe he thrives given the opportunities with RISP, but I would bet he doesn't get the pitching he has seen so far this year.

Either way, as Murphy pointed out, it won't happen.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #1252
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
And it's not like the Rangers have ever been in first place and utterly collapsed or anything. People talking about the Rangers 'wilting' in the summer heat, etc. is all bs. The Rangers haven't had a team this good.

Records on August 29 the last however many years:

2010: 73-57 (7.5 games ahead of OAK)
2009: 72-56 (4 games back of LAA; finished 10 games back of LAA)
2008: 66-70 (17.5 games back of LAA; finished 21 games back of LAA)
2007: 60-72 (18 games back of LAA; finished 19 games back of LAA)
2006: 68-65 (8 games back of OAK; finished 13 games back of OAK)
2005: 62-68 (12 games back of LAA; finished 18 games back of LAA)
2004: 73-56 (3.5 back of OAK; finished 3 back of LAA)
2003: 61-74 (19 games back of OAK; finished 25 games back)
2002: 60-72 (22 games back of OAK; finished 31 games back)

How many of those years were the Rangers really "in it" on August 29? 2004, 2009, and 2010. I think the only time the team has been in contention and 'faded' is last year. The only example.

The past is completely irrelevant. Even if it weren't, it's not like the Rangers have ever been in this situation before and failed. In the past decade, they've never been ahead, much less this far ahead, much less this late in the season with such sub-par division opponents.

People don't remember the Rangers' history very well. They've generally just not had very good teams in the past. It's not a matter of collapsing at the end, a la the '07 Mets. It's a matter of not being very good, and facing two, sometimes three good division opponents every year. That's not the case this year.
Also a good point.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #1253
mavspwnage
Golden Member

We HAVE to take advantage of the next few days. We play the Royals while the A's play the Yankees on the road for four games. We should be able to gain a couple games on Oakland by the weekend. Key word: should.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #1254
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Tonight's lineup:

Andrus
Young
Hamilton
Guerrero
Cruz
Murphy
Molina
Moreland
Blanco

YAY
Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #1255
mavspwnage
Golden Member

CJ continues in full beast mode.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #1256
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
CJ continues in full beast mode.
Absolutely... Very nice. Great job working out of the 3-1 count in the 2nd with the bases loaded. Very nice. Too many walks, but a WHIP under 1 is still something you can't argue with. Hell, it can be argued that he had a no-hitter going into the 8th.

It was very nice to see Cruz hit a double in his first AB back as well. Welcome back man - our lineup needs you badly. Hurry up Kinsler and do your part to help make this lineup very scary for opposing pitching. Of course if Blanco keeps this up he is going to take over DH for Vlad to keep his big bat present.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #1257
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

i'm kind of surprised CJ isn't even in Cy Young discussion. I don't think he should win it, but I feel like he should at least be talked about.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #1258
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

If he wins a few more games, there's no reason he shouldn't garner some third place votes here and there, right? That in itself would be amazingly awesome, given the skepticism that met his conversion to a starter before the year began.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:33 AM   #1259
mavspwnage
Golden Member

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=tex

Rangers plan on switching Triple-A affiliate

Club officials have confirmed that the Rangers are planning to switch their Triple-A affiliation from Oklahoma City to Round Rock for the 2011 season.
The Rangers announced on Monday they are extending their working agreements with Double-A Frisco and Class A Spokane and Hickory. But Oklahoma City was left out of the announcement.

At this time, clubs can only work on renewing their agreements with their present affiliates. They can not begin talks with other affiliates until later in September.

But club president Nolan Ryan also owns the Round Rock team and it has long been a foregone conclusion that the Rangers would switch in 2011. The switch would help the Rangers gain inroads into the Central Texas market although they have enjoyed a strong following in Oklahoma City over the years.

The Rangers have been at Oklahoma City since 1983. The Astros, currently in Round Rock, will likely switch to Oklahoma City, which actually was their first Triple-A affiliate during 1962-72, when they were the 89ers.

The Rangers would also like to find a new high Class A affiliate. Currently they are at Bakersfield in the California League but play in one of the oldest ballparks in the Minor Leagues and the situation there has been far from satisfactory.

There is a possibility they could switch to Myrtle Beach in the Carolina League. Rangers CEO Chuck Greenberg is one of the owners there but Myrtle Beach also has a strong relationship with the Atlanta Braves. That is still up in the air.

The new agreement with Frisco is a four-year deal. Spokane and Hickory are two-year deals. Frisco is owned by Mandalay Sports Entertainment, a group currently trying to buy the Oklahoma City franchise.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 AM   #1260
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat View Post
i'm kind of surprised CJ isn't even in Cy Young discussion. I don't think he should win it, but I feel like he should at least be talked about.
I love cj. Always have(even when everyone else hated him), that said Hernandez, Lee, Weaver, Lester, Liriano and price have all been better. I do agree he should be in the discussion though.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:39 AM   #1261
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
I love cj. Always have(even when everyone else hated him), that said Hernandez, Lee, Weaver, Lester, Liriano and price have all been better. I do agree he should be in the discussion though.
5-0,

Just a quick question and then I better get back to work. Were you pointing out that you were right in the past or that you were wrong? Both the situation at hand and past conversations fail to give me the necessary insight on which way you were going there so I just thought I would ask. Let me know so I can better understand if you are prone to pointing out that you are right or, as previously mentioned, that you are wrong. I again apologize for having to ask but if you would just follow one style more so than the other I could likely remember but, alas, that is not the case.

Sincerely,

Male29Dan
Old 08-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #1262
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
5-0,

Just a quick question and then I better get back to work. Were you pointing out that you were right in the past or that you were wrong? Both the situation at hand and past conversations fail to give me the necessary insight on which way you were going there so I just thought I would ask. Let me know so I can better understand if you are prone to pointing out that you are right or, as previously mentioned, that you are wrong. I again apologize for having to ask but if you would just follow one style more so than the other I could likely remember but, alas, that is not the case.

Sincerely,

Male29Dan
Neither. I was simply pointing out that I am a big CJ fan which has nearly as much to do with his personality as it has to do with his stuff.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #1263
LonghornDub

CJ is a weird dude. Good pitcher though. Glad to see he's having so much success this year.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #1264
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=tex

Rangers plan on switching Triple-A affiliate

Club officials have confirmed that the Rangers are planning to switch their Triple-A affiliation from Oklahoma City to Round Rock for the 2011 season.
The Rangers announced on Monday they are extending their working agreements with Double-A Frisco and Class A Spokane and Hickory. But Oklahoma City was left out of the announcement.

At this time, clubs can only work on renewing their agreements with their present affiliates. They can not begin talks with other affiliates until later in September.

But club president Nolan Ryan also owns the Round Rock team and it has long been a foregone conclusion that the Rangers would switch in 2011. The switch would help the Rangers gain inroads into the Central Texas market although they have enjoyed a strong following in Oklahoma City over the years.

The Rangers have been at Oklahoma City since 1983. The Astros, currently in Round Rock, will likely switch to Oklahoma City, which actually was their first Triple-A affiliate during 1962-72, when they were the 89ers.

The Rangers would also like to find a new high Class A affiliate. Currently they are at Bakersfield in the California League but play in one of the oldest ballparks in the Minor Leagues and the situation there has been far from satisfactory.

There is a possibility they could switch to Myrtle Beach in the Carolina League. Rangers CEO Chuck Greenberg is one of the owners there but Myrtle Beach also has a strong relationship with the Atlanta Braves. That is still up in the air.

The new agreement with Frisco is a four-year deal. Spokane and Hickory are two-year deals. Frisco is owned by Mandalay Sports Entertainment, a group currently trying to buy the Oklahoma City franchise.
Sweet!

I swear to god, I can walk to the Dell Diamond, the Express's ballpark. And not just can I walk, I often bike over around there and stuff. We live almost literally RIGHT next to it. In fact, with all the traffic, it might be faster (and definitely cheaper!) to walk over to games. Of the 5-6 I've been to (Express games, though) we did walk once.

So if you're ever craving to hear about the Ranger's triple-A team, I can tell you all about them.

This is going to be fun. And if it gets to be too much of a blowout, they have a free basketball court in the back where there's typically some pretty good games of 5v5 going, winner stays. I've been known to be the go-to guy occasional, at least when I'm on a bad team.

Last edited by tcat075; 08-31-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #1265
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Why do pitchers find it so difficult to throw to 2nd base?! WTF Cliff....
Old 08-31-2010, 09:02 PM   #1266
tcat075
Diamond Member

Remember when Cliff Lee used to be good?

Yeah, me neither. Its been that long.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #1267
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

he'll (hopefully) round back into form. they just need to tell him they're gonna sit him for a day extra.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 PM   #1268
mavspwnage
Golden Member

unreal Ogando...walk off wild pitch? wtf were you doing?!!?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #1269
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

GAY...................

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #1270
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't checked the Ranger message boards yet. Are people doing the milk carton thing with Cliff Lee yet?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 PM   #1271
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I will say this - anytime you score 9 facking runs against the facking Royals it should equal a pretty easy win. What a beating that game was.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #1272
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Unless he's hitting his corners perfectly, Cliff Lee throws batting practice. Bottom line. That's who he is. I thought that from the first time I saw him pitch, but as a 25 year beat down Rangers fan, I didn't want to say anything for fear of jinxing it. At this point, I don't think the guy can look any worse than he has in the last 3 starts, so what's the harm.

When he's on, he's on, and you can't deny his postseason resume, but how could you commit $100M to this guy?
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #1273
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
Unless he's hitting his corners perfectly, Cliff Lee throws batting practice. Bottom line. That's who he is. I thought that from the first time I saw him pitch, but as a 25 year beat down Rangers fan, I didn't want to say anything for fear of jinxing it. At this point, I don't think the guy can look any worse than he has in the last 3 starts, so what's the harm.

When he's on, he's on, and you can't deny his postseason resume, but how could you commit $100M to this guy?
Because he's almost always on.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #1274
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It's time to admit it: Cliff Lee is overrated.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #1275
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

I don't think he is overrated....I've seen pitches that no other starter on our team can throw including CJ

I truly believe he just in a slump....Come post season he will get his groove back
Old 09-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #1276
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Because he's almost always on.
Except in a Rangers uni or an Indians uni. It's too delicate an equation for my taste. He's got a long career with a lot of above-average-but-not-great, if you really look into the stats. And to his credit, there's a good helping of freaking incredible, with more of the incredible being recent.

But it's too delicate an equation for me to commit $100M to, if I'm any team other than the Yankees (who use $100M for Kleenex). The dude is already 32. The risk is that at some point sooner rather than later, Cliff being "on" becomes this halcyon memory like Bill Walton's feet not hurting or a 21 year old Juan Gonzalez. As great as it can be, will be great consistently enough for long enough into the future to warrant that kind of investment at this age.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #1277
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Also, considering that Cliff's astronomical SO/BB ratio is well beyond a statistical anomaly this year, is there a chance that he has fallen so in love with throwing strikes to the point that he's throwing more hittable balls in aggregate than ever before?

At what point as a pitching coach do you say, screw it dude, when you're not hitting the corners, throw some stuff outside the zone, or you're done. You can't just serve up 88 mph stuff consistently in the strike zone to major league hitters and expect to get anywhere.

Is it some kind of burnt-in combination of psychology and mechanics that he can't risk moving away from, for fear that he won't be able to get back into it and regain the sickeningly good results he gets when he's locating his pitches?

Last edited by Rhylan; 09-01-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #1278
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
Except in a Rangers uni or an Indians uni. It's too delicate an equation for my taste. He's got a long career with a lot of above-average-but-not-great, if you really look into the stats. And to his credit, there's a good helping of freaking incredible, with more of the incredible being recent.

But it's too delicate an equation for me to commit $100M to, if I'm any team other than the Yankees (who use $100M for Kleenex). The dude is already 32. The risk is that at some point sooner rather than later, Cliff being "on" becomes this halcyon memory like Bill Walton's feet not hurting or a 21 year old Juan Gonzalez. As great as it can be, will be great consistently enough for long enough into the future to warrant that kind of investment at this age.
He clearly turned a corner in Cleveland, and even before that he was pretty good in '05/'06 before falling apart in '07.

It's certainly valid to question whether you should ever give a free agent pitcher $100 Mil. But if you're ever going to, Cliff Lee is unquestionably the one to do it with, imo. He has a skill set that should age very well and he's been economical and healthy enough his entire career to average 200 IP.

If he pitches like this the rest of the year then I'm willing to start questioning his long term prospects, but that scenario is highly unlikely. Hell he was freaking lights out for us before this rough stretch. There's no reason to think he won't get back to that level.

Also, based on comments from Greenberg over the past few weeks, I think you're looking at two scenarios for the next several years: A $70-$80 million payroll without Cliff Lee, or a $90-$100 million payroll with Cliff Lee. They're not going to drive the payroll up to $100mil for just anyone.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #1279
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Hamilton is getting the day off, which means we will probably see Francoeur at some point during the game, whether he starts or not. And Kinsler is being activated off the DL today.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #1280
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

lolAthletics

This is such a great division for the Rangers right now.

Tags
americas sucktime, blindhomerparade, cadban knows dick, feldman=failman, flaco=ultimate pessimist, fluffy blows so harden, magic # = 0, playoff bound