Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #641
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Question for the hardcore Ranger people that have been watching this team every summer for 15-20 years or whatever... (I've only been watching them for 5 or 6 years, so I don't count)....

Is there going to be a point, (presumably), where the sentiment could possibly turn from "Man, this is awesome. It's so great just to be here!!!" to "It would be tragic to come this far and not go ALL the way. This will become like the Mavs Finals appearance and we'll never get back here again!"

?

I don't think people will feel like that, but it's worth asking.
Not for me. As a hard core baseball fan, I know how random the playoffs can be. I literally have no expectations for what is going to happen from this point forward. I'm just enjoying the ride.

As laughable as this franchise has been for so long, my personal position is to get as much enjoyment out of this as possible, championship or not. It makes it much easier to have that mind set knowing that this is not a one year wonder team. There are obviously no guarantees, but this Ranger franchise is now legitimate, it's run by smart, effective people, and it's in a position to be a contender for the foreseeable future.

That doesn't mean they'll get this far ever year. Heck it doesn't mean they'll make the playoffs ever year; making the playoffs in baseball is very, very hard. But this team is legitimate, and they're competing on the same level as the best in baseball, and the franchise will keep moving forward after this season is over.

Nothing...absolutely nothing can bring me down at this point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #642
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I would pay considerable cash for a high quality poster-sized photo that includes A-Rod hanging his head and the ball in-flight.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #643
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
C.J. is going to close it out tonight.

My favorite moment of last night's game was when Molina hit the first-pitch three-run homer after they pitched around Murphy to get to him. As he crossed home plate and pounded his chest, you could just see it in his eyes -- "Pitch around that, bitches!"
Today! 3:00 start! Don't forget!

I have the feeling right now that I did after game 5 of the '06 Western Conference Finals. That had actually been a hard-fought series, but that was Dirk's explosion game by which the Mavs took a 3-2 series lead, headed back to Phoenix. After game 5, I knew the Mavs would close it out in 6. I have that same feeling about today's game, that this series has gone on far enough. Time to put this puppy to bed.

Mark Teixeira is Mr. July. He sucks in April and he sucks in October.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #644
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

I grab the game right after the Soccer-match.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #645
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just curious though... are we still playing with house money?
Old 10-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #646
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maringa View Post
I'm with you Flaco....I too suffer from the Dallas-Miami series "paraderoutism" deflation syndrome. I don't start celebrating until that last out is in the books. None of us can say we were comfortable in any of the Rangers leads over the last three games until the second out at the bottom of the ninth inning...

I have to say though, for the Yankees to win three in a row against our best three pitchers seems like a daunting task.
You don't want to start "celebrating" until the thing is over, for sure. But it also makes little sense to concern yourself so much with the possibility of a choke that you don't enjoy the moment.

Like thig said, if the Rangers lose the next 3, that's unfortunate, but there's no point in worrying about it. It's a lot more fun to just enjoy what they're doing and assume with the strong odds they'll close it out.

I guess I just don't feel the need to protect myself from disappointment with a shield of skepticism.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #647
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

So who do they play today?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #648
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

There is no way to be disappointed regardless of what happens....they have already exceeded our expectations when they beat David Price in game 1 of the 1st round....anything after that game is just icing on my cake.....and if they win 1 more game, we all get to eat that cake

I mean c'mon who thought they would beat Price not once but twice.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #649
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
There is no way to be disappointed regardless of what happens....they have already exceeded our expectations when they beat David Price in game 1 of the 1st round....anything after that game is just icing on my cake.....and if they win 1 more game, we all get to eat that cake

I mean c'mon who thought they would beat Price not once but twice.
My expectations were a little bit higher than yours I suppose. You go into the post season with a 1-2-3 punch of Lee, Wilson, and Lewis with this offense and you've got to feel pretty dang good about yourself.

Last edited by Murphy3; 10-20-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #650
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I expected a lot of this team, but was not going to be disappointed if we failed to meet them.

Winning a playoff series was what I expected, btw. Had we not, I would have still felt great.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #651
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

We need to get this done today...so when I get off work I can go get me some celebratory libation on the way home....Lets Go Rangers!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #652
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Elvis already on on base...good sign

Man I love that kid!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #653
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to lie, I will be crushed if the Rangers lose the ALCS.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #654
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
Let's not think about such things.

Good inning for CJ.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #655
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
seconded

but from what I've been told, Wade is not employed by the Yankees.... yet....
Old 10-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #656
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Only 27 pitches through 2 innings for CC....would like to see him have to work much harder than that.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #657
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

CJ Walkson is making an appearance.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #658
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
CJ Walkson is making an appearance.
What, are you 12?

This inning is not fun....
Old 10-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #659
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Up to the bats already.

CJ will be done by the 4th and then who goes for some long innings...?

Amazing how fast the dominos fall...and CC will be better with lead. It's early but it's not looking good today.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #660
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
This inning is not fun....
It wasn't THAT bad... [/sarcasm]
Old 10-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #661
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

Old 10-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #662
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Up to the bats already.

CJ will be done by the 4th and then who goes for some long innings...?

Amazing how fast the dominos fall...and CC will be better with lead. It's early but it's not looking good today.
Put in Ogandu... but I think we need to get to at least the 5th with CJ....
Old 10-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #663
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

CC hasn't really looked all that great. We're 3/6 when we put the ball in play. Just gotta keep on keepin' on. Take it easy, but take it. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. DON'T LOOK A GIFT HORSE IN THE MOUTH.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #664
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I wish I had some skele-grow to regrown my fingernails so I could bite them off again.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #665
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
CC hasn't really looked all that great. We're 3/6 when we put the ball in play. Just gotta keep on keepin' on. Take it easy, but take it. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. DON'T LOOK A GIFT HORSE IN THE MOUTH.
He looked good against Moreland... He reminds me alot of Lee in that it takes him a bit to find his location and shutdown the lineup. I fear he's there.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #666
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

OK, so how's game 6 looking?
Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #667
Mav Addict
Golden Member

OK...its time for CJ to come on out....back to back homers!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #668
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap. The empire strikes back.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #669
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

ugh...

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #670
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

56 pitches: 28 strikes, 28 balls

That's not going to win in the postseason.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #671
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

blargh

Is this ghost ball??
Old 10-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #672
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Baseball is the thinking man's sport... that could be your problem.
Doubtful. I think a lot. For example, I think you're a douche bag. See how that works?

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 10-20-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #673
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Well crap. At least this is happening while I'm still at work.

Sounds like CJ's just been awful. Terrible control and terrible command.

I'd really prefer to at least keep this relatively close so the Yanks don't have a happy-go-lucky laugher today.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #674
Mav Addict
Golden Member

CJ has got to come out after this inning
Old 10-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #675
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

How sweet would it be to have a reversal of Game 1?
Old 10-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #676
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Damn.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #677
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

And apparently Cruz is out of the game now.

EDIT: It's a hammy. Crapola.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 10-20-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #678
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

8 hits 1 run v. 5 hits 5 runs. gah

Is this ghost ball??
Old 10-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #679
LonghornDub

Did we just sub in Murphy for Cruz? I'm on gamecast at work. What's up with that?

Old 10-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #680
Mav Addict
Golden Member

dangit!... Cruz has been on fire this post season