Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #241
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
There is no other ACE pitcher out there that you can acquire with a *good* contract. The only way to never have bad contracts is to never sign anyone in free agency. And to do that you have to get ridiculously lucky with the timing of your farm system. Everyone has to arrive at the same time and work out.
Fixed.

Quote:
The bottom line is that in order for the Rangers to stay elite contenders they're going to have to bite the bullet and make a "bad" acquisition. You just have to hope that the one they make works out as well as possible.
I agree that its all a crapshoot, but disagree that you have to make a "bad" deal. For the specific case of Greinke, a young legit Ace/Cy Young contender is not a "bad" deal when you consider you'll be getting him for his prime and playing far less than you would Lee for a couple of you prime potential winning seasons, it doesn't make it "bad" deal just bc its costs many prospects. An ACE is worth it.

Like I said in an above post, win a world series and whatever decision you made was the right one. If that is Lee and his bloated boat of money, ok. If that Is moving out much of the potential studs in the farm for the likes of Greinke, ok.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 12-11-2010 at 03:38 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #242
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Signing Lee could do absolute wonders for season ticket sales..merchandising.. advertising..and much more.
At this point, I doubt any combination of signings could even come close to touching a Lee signing.

Fans are sheep, and Lee has been the poster boy for guaranteed success for several months now.

*Despite the fact that he got knocked around pretty hard by the Giants when it mattered most.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 12-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #243
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
At this point, I doubt any combination of signings could even come close to touching a Lee signing.

Fans are sheep, and Lee has been the poster boy for guaranteed success for several months now.

*Despite the fact that he got knocked around pretty hard by the Giants when it mattered most.
Yeah let's focus on one game rather than the entire track record that puts him in the discussion for the greatest post season pitcher in the history of baseball.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #244
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree that its all a crapshoot, but disagree that you have to make a "bad" deal. For the specific case of Greinke, a young legit Ace/Cy Young contender is not a "bad" deal when you consider you'll be getting him for his prime and playing far less than you would Lee for a couple of you prime potential winning seasons, it doesn't make it "bad" deal just bc its costs many prospects. An ACE is worth it.

Like I said in an above post, win a world series and whatever decision you made was the right one. If that is Lee and his bloated boat of money, ok. If that Is moving out much of the potential studs in the farm for the likes of Greinke, ok.
It's really confusing to me why you're more willing to spend prospects AND money for an inferior (but still really good) pitcher.

I'll gladly take them both (for the right price), but given the choice of the two, give me Lee in a heart beat.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-11-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #245
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Yeah let's focus on one game rather than the entire track record that puts him in the discussion for the greatest post season pitcher in the history of baseball.
You're right, I shouldn't look at that game "in a vacuum". (I just wanted to use that phrase before you got around to it again).

Still the thrust of that post is the first 2 lines that you ignored. The fans will not be happy unless Lee signs.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #246
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
It's really confusing to me why you're more willing to spend prospects AND money for an inferior (but still really good) pitcher.
This is a very simple answer: Cliff Lee is 32 and in the middle of his prime. I would rather have the guy at the beginning of his prime for the long run. I have a hard time trusting soft tossing middle age players. (How long does Lee have his 92mph fast ball and impeccable placement?)

If we're just looking at the next 2 seasons in a vacuum ( ), then I think that I too, would prefer Lee.

And like I said twice before. I'm a complete pragmatic with the Rangers: win and it was the right move even if it straps us for the future.

Last edited by sike; 12-11-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: to add the number "2"
Old 12-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #247
sike
The Preacha

One question I really would enjoy hearing you baseball heads speculate on is this:

How many more seasons is Cliff Lee a dominant Ace?

Old 12-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #248
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
One question I really would enjoy hearing you baseball heads speculate on is this:

How many more seasons is Cliff Lee a dominant Ace?
I think it will be three or four.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #249
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I think it will be three or four.
I would be very happy with 3 and ecstatic with 4.

Last edited by sike; 12-11-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #250
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Texas moving aggressively on Beltre per Karl Ravech... Is he plan B, or part of plan A?

Man... If part of plan A... So sweet!!!

If you could keep Lee, add Beltre, sign Vlad, and move MY to 1st as I initially proposed... I might actually shed a tear.

If Beltre is plan B that ALSO includes a trade for Greinke - still very nice... I hope everyone here understands just how much putting Beltre in 3B would do for this team defensively. Even if MY takes us down a notch at 1B (and understand that Mitch isn't a vacuum over there) the overall improvement would still be a major one.

If we want to let Vlad walk and put MY at DH, fine, but you hurt the offense to help the defense (Vlad in 2011 will most definitely outproduce Moreland) and in my opinion you hurt the offense more than the defense is improved.

Is there any chance we could sign Lee, Beltre, AND trade for Greinke???

Come on, someone give me a way that could happen without a MY trade (since that option is so unlikely)...
Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #251
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Is there any chance we could sign Lee, Beltre, AND trade for Greinke???
I don't see it. Not only would it be triumph for the FO but it would be a colossal failure for the rest of the AL. I can't see the Yanks, Angels, Sawks, etc allowing that to happen.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #252
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't see it. Not only would it be triumph for the FO but it would be a colossal failure for the rest of the AL. I can't see the Yanks, Angels, Sawks, etc allowing that to happen.
KC is really the only team that could stop it... The rest is us making the decision to sign the player and the player making the decision to sign with us.

With that said, I was speaking with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #253
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would be very happy with 3 and ecstatic with 4.
Lee is an interesting case. Control pretty much doesnt go awat but velocity does and there is a serious line in the sand at 91 mph as an average fb velocity. I think hell be lee for 4 more seasons, and i think hell be a good two for the last 3 barring injury
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #254
sike
The Preacha

not a creature was stirring...not even a mouse.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:58 PM   #255
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

He's going to Philly. Unbelievable.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #256
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

But how is he possibly travelling to and fro to Arkansas from Philly? And Why did he take only 5 years?
Phillies might be favoured every game next season with that rotation. Man this sucks. As soon as a National League team lifted its parfumed inner thigh he jumped at it. He just didnt want to play in 40° Celsius every summer.

Last edited by Dim499; 12-14-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #257
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim499 View Post
But how is he possibly travelling to and fro to Arkansas from Philly? And Why did he take only 5 years?
Certainly looks like he wanted Philly all along. Which I can't really begrudge him.

It is a real kick in the nuts to think that he might never had any intention of coming back here.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 AM   #258
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
It is a real kick in the nuts to think that he might never had any intention of coming back here.
I'm not sure there is a reason to think that. He just wanted to play in the NL and considering that rotation, you can hardly blame him. Plus, things are easier over there for his soft tossing ways.

But honestly I feel like we dodged a bullet we didn't have to pay 7 years and the Yanks didn't get him!

JD, go get things done, son!!!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:16 AM   #259
sike
The Preacha

I'm relieved. All you baseball heads can remind me of this if JD can't work his magic...but I predict this turn out for our good.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:36 AM   #260
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

The more I read about Greinke deals the more I'm convinced that we don't really have the appropriate fire power to get it done. They're not really looking for pitching.

I dunno. I'm depressed right now. I trust in JD.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-14-2010, 12:40 AM   #261
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

There was something about that guy that never sat right with me. I think it's that he's not a team player.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:44 AM   #262
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
There was something about that guy that never sat right with me. I think it's that he's not a team player.
He just left a minimum of 30 million dollars to play where he wanted to play.

Very odd accusation to make.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-14-2010, 12:44 AM   #263
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
TBrownYahoo Tim Brown
With vesting option, Lee could have made $161 mil from Rangers. They were the high bidders.
Um...wow. I'm less depressed now. That is an insane contract.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #264
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I guess the hired gun wanted to go back to the place where he actually contended for the world series.

That rotation is stupid.

I just don't want to hear anyone with Rangers talking about CJ or Colby as "Ace Type Stuff"...nope, gotta go get a real one.

Last edited by sike; 12-14-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #265
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He just left a minimum of 30 million dollars to play where he wanted to play.

Very odd accusation to make.
Think about what you just said. Carefully.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #266
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Think about what you just said. Carefully.
So he's supposed to have loyalty to us because of three months? That doesn't make any sense.

I'm bummed he didn't sign (although getting less bummed by the minute based on the contract numbers) but the guy left at least on guaranteed year and tens of millions of dollars on the table. It's ridiculous to disparage him in any way over this.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #267
sike
The Preacha

I can only imagine that this would have gone down differently if the rangers make it close in the world series.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:01 AM   #268
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I can only imagine that this would have gone down differently if the rangers make it close in the world series.
I really doubt that had anything to do with it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #269
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I really doubt that had anything to do with it.
so you're suggesting he doesn't play for money or winning....

please, do tell.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:04 AM   #270
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
So he's supposed to have loyalty to us because of three months? That doesn't make any sense.

I'm bummed he didn't sign (although getting less bummed by the minute based on the contract numbers) but the guy left at least on guaranteed year and tens of millions of dollars on the table. It's ridiculous to disparage him in any way over this.
The dude just spent tens of millions of dollars on himself. If that's not selfish, I don't know what is.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #271
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
The dude just spent tens of millions of dollars on himself. If that's not selfish, I don't know what is.
Very strange way of looking at someone putting winning over money.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #272
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
So you're assuming his wife didn't want to go to Philly?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #273
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
so you're suggesting he doesn't play for money or winning....

please, do tell.
Well, two things:

1. First I don't think it was ALL about winning. He supposedly really, really enjoyed his time in Philly. I've read that from several different places even before this all started.

2. Why would two games being different in the WS change his view of this team going forward? That doesn't really make sense.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-14-2010, 01:13 AM   #274
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
2. Why would two games being different in the WS change his view of this team going forward? That doesn't really make sense.
Really?! If they were one game away from a world championship, that doesn't alter his "view"?

This, of course, is raw speculation at its rawest...but if the Rangers fell one game short and he left of in the name of "winning" it all, I would think he was crazy.

as it stands, the Rangers choked enough in the series to really justify him look at the Philly and saying, "Yeah, they really are closer to winning it all."

edit to say: And honestly, I agree with him.

Last edited by sike; 12-14-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #275
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Really?! If they were one game away from a world championship, that doesn't alter his "view"?

This, of course, is raw speculation at its rawest...but if the Rangers fell one game short and he left of in the name of "winning" it all, I would think he was crazy.

as it stands, the Rangers choked enough in the series to really justify him look at the Philly and saying, "Yeah, they really are closer to winning it all."
Sorry Sike but that really, really doesn't make any sense (to me). Baseball is WAY too unpredictable to base any decision on two games.

The Phillies with Cliff Lee are closer to winning it all than the Rangers with Cliff Lee. Period-end-of-story. So I don't see how the Rangers winning a game or two more last October/November would have made any difference.

If anything, Cliff Lee strikes me as the kind of guy that would take full responsibility for the Rangers not doing as well as they had hoped in the WS (not that that would really be true).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 12-14-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #276
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

chum

If he goes to a team he doesn't want to play for but is offering a lot more money, he's greedy and doesn't really care about the team or the game.

If he goes to a team he does want to play for and they offer less money, he's being selfish and should have taken more money elsewhere for his family.

Not sure how he could come across well?

I'd imagine his reason for choosing Philly was winning. Well, isn't that the reason why Dirk left money on the table during his last contract discussion? Is he selfish for not taking more money? (The humor in that sentence I guess is what I have a problem with). I know he's not married yet, but it's a similar deal. Take less money to win more.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 12-14-2010 at 01:24 AM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #277
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
chum

If he goes to a team he doesn't want to play for but is offering a lot more money, he's greedy and doesn't really care about the team or the game.

If he goes to a team he does want to play for and they offer less money, he's being selfish and should have taken more money elsewhere for his family.

Not sure how he could come across well?

I'd imagine his reason for choosing Philly was winning. Well, isn't that the reason why Dirk left money on the table during his last contract discussion? Is he selfish for not taking more money? (The humor in that sentence I guess is what I have a problem with). I know he's not married yet, but it's a similar deal. Take less money to win more.
I said that he is a guy who to me looks like he doesn't put team first. That was based on observing his behavior when he played for the Rangers. He seemed a lot more concerned with Cliff-Lee-the-One-Man-Corporation than with anything else.

Maybe his heart was always in Philadelphia and it's a Disney story come to light. But more likely, his heart was never anywhere, and he just decided where the One-Man-Corporation should lease its home office.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:31 AM   #278
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Sorry Sike but that really, really doesn't make any sense. Baseball is WAY too unpredictable to base any decision on two games.
How does being 1 game from being world champs not serve to motivate differently? In the very same way that being embarrassed by the eventual world champs also motivates. (And I believe we are seeing the fruits of that embarrassment) Remember, thig, you don't have to agree with something for it to be rational. Losing in a seven game series is not the same thing as being embarrassed.

The Rangers were embarrassed and that can only have made the decision of going back to the Phillies that much easier. That is what I am saying. Contending that it wouldn't make any kind of difference seems disconnected with human emotion.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #279
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I said that he is a guy who to me looks like he doesn't put team first. That was based on observing his behavior when he played for the Rangers. He seemed a lot more concerned with Cliff-Lee-the-One-Man-Corporation than with anything else.

Maybe his heart was always in Philadelphia and it's a Disney story come to light. But more likely, his heart was never anywhere, and he just decided where the One-Man-Corporation should lease its home office.
I'm saying that if he doesn't care about the team, why would he take substantially less money so he could hand pick the team he wanted. He could have easily taken the 161 million from the Rangers and been a One-Man-Hella-Paid-Corporation.

The team aspect obviously had something to do with it... unless there are some great hookers in Philly or something.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 12-14-2010 at 01:35 AM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:37 AM   #280
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
But more likely, his heart was never anywhere, and he just decided where the One-Man-Corporation should lease its home office.
I distinctly remember getting the vibe that he didn't care about the Rangers as a franchise after listening to several of his interviews.

But I don't blame the guy one bit. He was what we thought he was...a hired gun.

I remember him talking about how nice it was to see the Philly's lose to the Giants bc they "didn't want him"...

I agree that he has probably just chosen the team that he feels has the best chance to get him rings. And he is probably right.