Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-06-2003, 10:14 PM   #1
Chef Ed

Chef Ed is on a distinguished road

As most of you know the other day I posted a column about changing perception, and the hard foul. There was a lot of debate on if the Mavericks needed to adopt this philosophy concerning points in the paint. LRB issued me a nice challenge, and a nice compliment that I took to heart. So for the last couple of hours I have been doing some homework, and I must say. Keeping stats is not a job that I would want to have, and spending hours on the computer looking them up isn't something I would like to do either. With that said this is what I found out, and suprising my post was right on the money.

And no LRB don't think this will become a habit, but at least I tried...

The way this is set up is simple. The team.. The number of points in the paint, and percentage of the total points. These numbers are going to shock some of you, and some of you already know it, and this will just emphisize the point......

Team Points in the Paint Total points percentage

Memphis 62 108 57%
Golden State 36 83 43%
Toronto 34 92 26%
Chicago 42 87 48%
Detroit 30 75 40%
Portland 28 73 38%
Cleveland 40 99 44%
Boston 36 86 41%
New Jersey 38 88 43%
Lakers (WO Shaq) 28 72 38%
Houston 38 90 42%
Seatle 34 105 32%
Detroit 20 82 24%
Indiana (L) 54 110 49%
Chicago 42 90 46%
Toronto 40 102 39%
Portland 50 80 56%
Lakers (L)(W Shaq)44 105 41%
Golden State 34 116 29%
Clippers 46 95 48%
San Antonio 50 111 45%
Memphis 24 87 27%
Indiana 42 97 43%
Denver 26 75 34%
Utah (L) 32 93 34%
Washington 22 86 25%
New Orleans 38 81 46%
New York 32 82 39%
M.Bucks (L) 42 110 38%
Clippers 38 92 41%
Philly 44 83 53%

One of the reasons the Mav's have posted a guady record up to this point is as we all know they can shoot lights out, and that makes up for the deficiencies that they have with the interior Defense. When your allowing teams to shoot more than 40% inside the paint you have problems if your not a team that can kill you from the outside. During the playoffs as we all know the game slows down, and interior defense becomes a huge problem. That is the reason for the banner in the practice facility that emphisizes the layups, and dunks. That is the reason that the Mav's have lost in the second round the last two years. If the Mavericks can shoot 50% from the floor like they did against the Timberwolves then it makes up, and you don't notice, but when teams that suck are kicking your ass in the paint, and it's only January, imagine what is going to happen when we get into the playoffs against San Antonio, Sacramento, Houston, and yes even Portland. All they have to do is shoot a small percentage from the outside, and we get our asses handed to us.
So back to the original post about the hard foul. I don't adhear to hiring a enforcer, and I don't adhear to cheap play, or dirty play, but until the Mav's get the percentages down below at least 35% then the post season is going to come to quick end, and then we are going to be sitting here talking about how we need to get bigger, and stronger in the inside. Physical play. That's all. Putting a couple people on their butts isn't considered dirty, just smart. Someone on the board talked about the way teams look at Eddie, and the way he plays. Look at all the charges, and look at the hard fouls. Call it what you want but when the energizer bunny is on the floor teams think twice about taking it into the paint. That is why he is so sucessfull. Again it's not dirty, just smart.
So there you go LRB. Hope you like it, and again don't think this is going to become a habit. I love my computer, but not that much......
Old 01-06-2003, 10:52 PM   #2
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Chef...I posted many moons ago about our need for getting much tougher on the inside, even to the point of getting an enforcer. I've watched your discussion with LRB and I want to butt in and give you my .02.

When I posted earlier, I didn't mean that we get ourselves an enforcer...along the lines of an Artest...we really don't need a head case or someone that's going to play dirty.

But when you say "put some people on their butts", I agree with that.
Whatever it takes to make teams think twice about bringing it inside. I also see the other side of the debate, in that I believe Shawn's blocks can serve somewhat of the same purpose. Game after game, I see guys twisting like pretzels trying to find a way to get shots off around him. But he, alone, can't get that done.

I think EVERYONE knows that we need to get tougher inside. I just don't know, with our personnel, how to get that done. Dirk and Raef can pick up some blocks, but I sure don't think that they scare anyone.

So my post is really not about the problem, but more about the solution. Sure, getting Eddie back is going to help...but outside of that, we are who we are. That's why I keep thinking, in the back of my mind, that we're going to get a minor trade...or Askrabic...or both. I have a pretty high regard for LRB...and understand that ya'lls discussion has been pretty...er, challenging. You've made some very valid points.

But, bottomline, we all know the problem is there...it's the solution that needs to be addressed. Both Shawn and Raef get a lot of "breath on them fouls" and I don't want to see Dirk getting a lot of quick fouls. I'd certainly like to see, and I'm not being facetious, what you think about how we get from here to there.

Old 01-06-2003, 11:15 PM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

I appreciate your effort, Chef Ed. And your argument is valid since you're using this marvelous tool named statistics and good points about the playoffs' characteristics. Yes, we are soft in the paint (in both ends, but mainly in the defense), but we are less soft than last year, and we are more skilled in other departments than last year; this opens a new and better opportunity for the next playoffs. Besides, you and I have seen that they, the owner and staff, have been looking for new and better players; that has to give us more hope to see a better team, not only for this season, but for many more. (I liked the energizer bunny stuff; "do you have one INSIDE?" yes, we have one.)
Old 01-06-2003, 11:59 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming your statistics are the mavs opponents in the paint. Cool stats but I'm a little confused about the conclusion. I don't really see a correlation with opponents points in the paint and wins?? Just a question...

I also would have to take a look at the other teams, say indiana, sacto, san antonio I guess(although they are sort of an anomaly with duncan/robinson) and see what their opponents points in the paints versus wins was. I especially don't understand where your 35% number came from???
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:07 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Another very good stat would be to correlate the sacto/lakers series for points in the paint. By your theory one or the other kept the other team to less than 35% or both for that matter.

I guess then to continue this, what are the mavs points in the paint in those games?? For example tonight the mavs had 34 of 86 points in the paint or 40%. Denver had 28 of 71 points in the paint or 40%. I don't see a correlation and I KNOW that denver is a very,very good defensive team. So tonight why didn't they keep us below 35% in the paint??
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-07-2003, 03:00 AM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< I'm assuming your statistics are the mavs opponents in the paint. Cool stats but I'm a little confused about the conclusion. I don't really see a correlation with opponents points in the paint and wins?? Just a question...

I also would have to take a look at the other teams, say indiana, sacto, san antonio I guess(although they are sort of an anomaly with duncan/robinson) and see what their opponents points in the paints versus wins was. I especially don't understand where your 35% number came from???
>>

Dude: Ask and yea shall receive. This took a while, but here are the Kings stats:

Opponent Total Pts Points IN Paint %
Cavs 67 26 38.80597015
Blazers 72 32 44.44444444
Grizz 99 50 50.50505051
Heat (L) 88 30 34.09090909
Magic (L) 125 52 41.6
Nicks (L) 95 34 35.78947368
Grizz 91 42 46.15384615
Hawks 97 42 43.29896907
Warriors 93 34 36.55913978
Sonic (L) 111 56 50.45045045
Magic 99 32 32.32323232
Bulls 98 52 53.06122449
Clippers 89 44 49.43820225
Suns 101 32 31.68316832
Blazers 94 36 38.29787234
Cavs 85 28 32.94117647
Twolves (L) 90 38 42.22222222
Clippers 94 40 42.55319149
Rockets 84 44 52.38095238
Twolves 86 28 32.55813953
Nuggets 90 30 33.33333333
Nuggets 77 28 36.36363636
Spurs 80 36 45
Rockets (L) 103 40 38.83495146
Jazz 96 46 47.91666667
Hornets 92 28 30.43478261
Suns 86 36 41.86046512
Spurs (L) 83 36 43.37349398
Suns (L) 110 50 45.45454545
Warriors 88 36 40.90909091
Lakers 99 30 30.3030303
Blazers (L) 119 40 33.61344538
Nuggets 76 28 36.84210526
Heat 70 20 28.57142857

Chef Ed: Major props for putting all the stats and arguments together. Really good job. Not that I agree with all you conclusions, but still really good job.

As you can see I listed the stats for points in the paint percentage for the Kings opponents. I used the Kings, because they are the team to beat according to most people including myself.

Some interesting points the Kings only lost 2 out of 10 times when opponents % of points in paint was below 35%. While the Kings only lost 2 out 9 times when opponents % of points in the paint was 45% or above. But the Kings lost 5 out of 15 times when opponents % of points in the paint was between 35% and 45%. So it seems that you are best to hold opponents to less than 35% but if they get more than that you need to make sure that they score more than 45%, at least according to the stats.

Also note that the Mavs have a better record allowing 50%+ of opponents points in paint than they do allowing 35%-. According to the points in the paint analysis we are better forcing teams to shoot from within the paint. If we can force them to score more than half their points in the paint we win. The Kings win at a rate of 75% when allowing their opponents to score 50% or more of their points in the paint which is better than their overall winning % of 73.5%. The % of opponents points in the paint statistic does not back up your argument that we need to get it at 35% or under to win and win consistently.

Now I don't think it is ever a good idea to stand back and beg your opponnents to dunk on you to get the opponent's % of points in the paint over 50% so you can win. That's just plain stupid. It just shows that this stat is not a valid indicator of whether a team will win or not. Some teams you want to force to score in the paint because they are great outside shooters. So if you have a high % of points in the paint for that opponent, but a low shooting percentage and not too many FT's you probably did a very good defensive job. Other teams will shoot in the paint no matter what you do. They will consistantly score a high % of points in the paint. Again this if fine as long as you hold them to a low shooting percentage. Really if a team is going to shoot 40% for a game, do you care if it is 40% from 20 feet or 40% from 2 feet all other factors being equal? You don't get more points for a 2 footer than for a 20 footer. Now you add a few feet to that 20 footer and you do get an extra point. Allowing a team to shoot 2 pt FG at 40% is good defense. Allowing a team to shoot 3pt FG at 40% is poor defense. My point is that you can't look at one stat outside of the context of the game and always have it be meaningful. Stats should tell us to look to see if we have a problem. Losing 5 out of 33 games is not a huge problem.

The other thing is as you and everyone else says, the game changes with the playoffs. Guess what the Mavs will need to change their game to. But it isn't the playoffs, so it is hardly fair to expect the Mavs to play playoff basketball and no one else. We can't keep that level of intensity up for an 82 game schedule with back to back games. No team can. It is highly unfair to ask them to. It is very tough to do so for a playoff run of 20 or so games with no back to back games involved.

Now to the enforcer. Dude posted an excellent article today in the origingal thread in which we started this debate which talks about changing the penalty for fouls from a reward to a penalty. I'm all for that. But right now there is a reward to foul in certain cases and those are the rules we are playing under. I have no problem making a foul where a player can't get his shot off if he has you beat for an easy inside shot. But I'm not infavor of bringing in an enforcer to put people on their ass with that being the enforcers principal skill. In my book that's just another way of saying goon. We are 3rd in the league in lowest FG% for opponents. We 1st in the league in point differential. We are doing something better than most teams. In the end only 2 stats really count. How many points your team scored and how many the other team scored. We are the best team in the league at those 2 stats combined. Now we want to change this because some other teams who aren't as good do it. What proof do we have that this will help us?

Sure we sucked against the Kings in the playoffs last year. We also didn't have the Mantis swatting everything under creation back then either. Big difference. Last year we were near the bottom of the league in most defensive categories. This year we are in the top 10 in almost every defensive category. That is a huge improvement. Do we really want to risk this improvement by making a change? Sure the change might make us better, but it could make us a lot worse. What scares me is the change of bringing in an enforcer does not fit well with our strengths. For the enforcer to man the middle that means that Mantis has to sit. Mantis can't block shots while on the bench. Plus the enforcer only has a limited number of hard fouls per game that he can give. 6 to be percise. That is assuming that he doesn't pick up any on the offensive end or breath fouls or other types of fouls. Mantis can easily block 7 shots in a game and alter many more. A block doesn't result in FT's and is a much bigger gain for us than a hard foul.

Don't get me wrong if we foul, I don't want to see 3 point plays. And I don't want to see a parade going down the lane and scoring all game long. For the most part we have avoided that last problem pretty well this year. We have had a couple of incidents, but it hasn't been very often. Couldn't and have and be #3 in the league in opponents FG%.

Let's see how good we really are when we get everyone healthy again. Eddie will make a huge difference. Taking a charge is as good as a block in my opinion. I would much rather see that than a hard foul.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:28 AM   #7
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

Wish I would have known you did this kind of crap for fun LRB. I would have let you do my Stats homework last year by changing the problems into mavs figures. You could not have paid me enough to do that. Good job anyways, perhaps if I would have paid more attention I could interpret your results. thats crazy
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:22 AM   #8
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Both the Mavs and the King´s stats show that there is no correlation between W/L and the % of opponents points in the paint.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:50 AM   #9
dude1394
Guru

That would be my interpretation as well fidel.

It seems to be a double-edged sword in my mind. You can aggresively go after anyone coming down the paint and take a big risk of fouling out. Especially if you expect one person(shawn/raef) to do it for you. If all of your players do it then probably you can spread the &quot;pain&quot;(fouls) around and not be impacted. But having dirk pick up two quick fouls for example contesting a guard that has just beaten our frontcourt is not a very good return on investment.

Even giving up a foul from raef/shawn doesn't seem that wise actually.

All that being said however, the best way to do it would seem to be aggressive contesting of shots and hopefully not getting many calls. Also an occasional hard foul seems warranted. The idea that derek harper threw out there that NEVER, NO ONE should EVER dunk on bradley is stupid broadcast shtick. Those ARE NBA guys and they ARE strong and fast, you can't sit everyone on their rear.

Nice work dudes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 08:31 AM   #10
Chef Ed

Let's go a little further with this for the assumption that at least all of us so far are on the right track. Outletpass, this is mainly for your post, and for LRB. First the latter. Others please feel free to debate this becasue if it isn't fixed our time in the playoffs is going to be very short.....

You mention the number of wins for the Kings when they're apponents score 50% inside the paint. The Mav's had 3 such games, and they are all wins. Philly, Portland, and Memphis. None of these team shoot a high percentage from outside, and none of them have anything that resembles a three point threat. The Mav's on the other hand do. That is one of my points. If your team can scorch you from the outside, then an inside threat doesn't really mean shit. As long as the Mav's can shoot 50% from the floor, then all of this is pointless. The problem is, as we saw in the playoffs the Mav's are going to have to shoot this way for 15 games out of 26 to win the Title as it stand now. They proved at least last year, and the year before that this is an impossible task even for this team.
The 5 losses so far for the Mav's have been against the following with the number of total points next to them..
Indiana 110
Lakers 105
San An. 111
Utah 93
Bucks 110
Three of the teams shot over 40% from the paint. When you have teams that have not only a great inside threat, and outside threat then the Mav's are in deap shit. The Mavs could face all three. Utah, San Antonio, and the Lakers in the playoffs. I guess what I'm saying is when you play teams that score in the low 80's consistantly there isn't a problem, but when your playing teams that can not only kill you inside, but out, the Mav's have a problem.

Now with the second part of this. what to do. On of the things that I did do, but didn't post on this was last years stats. When you go back and look at the points in the paint last year compaired to this year there is a big difference in the Mav's favor. The focus in training camp this year has made a huge difference. 15 times the Mav's this year have held their opponenets to either the low 80's or below. They are 15-0 in those games. If you look at the total points of the Mav's in those game you will see that they also were in the mid to low 80's in most of those games. I love the run, and gun attitude this team has, and I think it is a great weapon, but when this team soly makes it a point to play defense, they usually win. It does mean that they are scoring about 15 points less than they usually do, but the results are better. So my point is that the answer isn't so much getting a hired gun to come in, but being more physical(Eddie), and continuing to play the Defense that has netted them a 15-0 record when they do. Yes it is out of character for them, and I'm sure it isn't popular with the players to play this way, but at the same time you can't argue with the results.
I think they may be listening to ESPN too much, and reading their own headlines. Yes they are the most enertaining team on the planet, and yes the ratings love it when the Mav's score over 100 points a game, but when you do that your paint numbers increase, and the record suffers because of it. So maybe a total commitment to the defensive end of the floor is what is the answer. It may not be popular, but again it sure is effective. I'm sure the fans don't like it, and the TV doesn't like it, but when a banner is raised in the AAC because of it, then you can bet you ass the Metroplex will forget that scoring over 100 is the way to go. Use it as a weapon, not your philosophy. See ya tonight....
Old 01-07-2003, 10:04 AM   #11
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

aggressive contesting of shots and hopefully not getting many calls.

--Boy, do I wish that were the case, Dude.

--Thanks for the reply, Chef. Last night I was home watching the game when they flashed a graphic showing that the Mavs were tied for #1 with Denver in opponents point reduction from the previous year. Currently, the Mavs are giving up 9 points per game less than they did last year. As you point out, Total team D has been taught and as LRB points out, we have Shawn back there this year swatting shots and altering many others. IMO, there are two things that have to happen:
1) The total team defense concept has to be maintained. I'm very happy with the number of turnovers we're forcing and the blocks/altered shots that we're getting BUT
2) Somewhere in all of this, Shawn and Raef are going to have to get some respect. There will come a day when the fouls bite us in the butt. I've seen way too many &quot;breath on them&quot; fouls called lately to believe that this won't be a detriment. Maybe, in a playoff shortened lineup, Eddie can pull us through in that regard. I wish Esch could step into both an offensive and defensive role...I just haven't ever seen a hint of that from him.

Maybe, all in all, I'm just looking for 6'10&quot; Eddie to throw at them in the playoffs. That would make Chiwas happy, wouldn't it.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:32 AM   #12
Chiwas
Guru

Again thanks for Chef Ed and now for LRB for this great thread. When members like Dude and OP make their comments it means something. Also the good Brian with his humor. And look the short but sharp from Fidel.

Like OP said days ago, we are some scared remembering the last season's playoffs, but the present record, 28-5 is crazy with all its statistics involved. I have been thinking that we (I) haven´t realized yet that we have a very different team, huge better team, and besides, there is no perfect team and never has existed one perfect team.

We can win with our weaks; Mavs are better prepared than Kings (this year) because they (mavs) know very well these weaks (read their quotes) and all the NBA knows them, too; just read the articles from everywhere. The Kings don´t. It´s an advantage. AND don´t expect that Mavs play the playoffs the same way than last year, never.

I´m eager to see N&aacute;jera back, of course, he is a spark for everybody in the team, but most important, for the big-three; Nash, Finley and Nowitzki always play better, they speed up, when Eddie gets on. The Bunny inside.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:26 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< So my point is that the answer isn't so much getting a hired gun to come in, but being more physical(Eddie), and continuing to play the Defense that has netted them a 15-0 record when they do. >>

Chef Ed: I'm not going to argue with you about the Mavs needing to play D. IMO that is THE reason they are sooooo much better this year. We might win some games outscoring teams, but if we hit a shooting slump, we will need our defense to contend. The Mavs started camp concentrating solely on defense, and it has paid big dividends. They need to continue with their improvement. Also IMO, the Mavs are the most underated defense in the NBA by a wide margin. Nobody, and I do mean nobody, seems to realize just how good they are. If any other team was putting up the defensive numbers that the Mavs are the media and fans would be raving about what a dominating defense they have. If Shawn and the Mavs didn't have their resective reputations, he would be the odds on favorite for Defensive player of the year. The only problem is that the refs are dumber than the media and fans put together. They can't comprehend that the Mavs are a defensive powerhouse and refuse to give them the calls that defensive teams get. I don't think that the refs should favor teams, but since they do, we deserve that favortism with our play. Maybe someday the NBA will stop hiring refs based on the fact that they possess significant visual and mental handicapps. Until then we just have to do the best we can, and that involves continuing to play the new and improved defense that's got us our gaudy record. When we play both ends of the court well, I feel that we are an unbeatable team. If we can only play one well, defense is not a bad choice. And yes I would rather have a win than a Chalupa. Of cource Chalupas are only handed out after a win when scoring &gt; 100, but I think you all can decipher what I mean here.

I still think that it is in the Mavs best interest to push the tempo whenever they can. IMO we are the best conditioned team in the league and it helps our defense to wear the other team out. We need to run on missed baskets, made baskets, made FT's and missed FT's. We need to try to force the tempo. When other teams try to run with us, it plays into our strengths as long as we play good defense.

OP: As to your question of how do we address the refs' lack of respect. Don't see that there is much we can do except for limit our complaints and play hard and tough. The officiating in the NBA is a huge problem IMO. The refs abuse their power tremendously and try to dictate which teams and players are successful far too much. The major problem is that the refs have relatively little accountability. Refs calls are public for all to see. If you are in the stands you have your eyes and the Jumbotron for replays. If you watch at home, you have your eyes and the replay on TV. Even if you can't watch the game, thousands of reports do and report on it. (Yeah, I know the AP was suspended earlier, but we still have the European news agencies.) Everyone can see the screw up in public. No one can see anything being done to address the problem publicly. The league refuses to keep and distribute meaningful accuracy stats for refs to the teams so that they can properly evalutate the refs at year end. IMO the officiating in the NBA has lost most credibility. It is little better than professional wrestling. Everyone knows that certain players and teams get preferential treatment by the refs. While other teams and players get phantom calls against them. This is just plain ludicrious. No set of officials will consistantly get all of the calls right. What is happening though are officials are consistantly getting calls wrong. The same calls on the same players and teams. These are not just honest mistakes by competent officials. There must be public accountability of NBA officials to restore credibility to the system. We as fans need to see meaingful statistics of refs accuracy in making and missing calls. Yes some calls are subjective, but not a foul on Shawn Braley when he's 10 feet away with 2 players between him and the guy being fouled.

I just don't see much that the Mavs can do. Maybe Cubes needs to start getting some major fines. Draw some media attention to the situation and force the NBA to address this misscarriage of justice. If Cubes does this though, things will most likely get worse before they get better. I'm all open to ideas though from you or anyone on the forum as to how we can change the refs calling of our games.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:11 PM   #14
Chef Ed

I hate to use the word team when it comes to officials, but until Cubes gets some support, and I mean more than a couple of owners, then nothing will change. If the owners would get together, and I mean all of them, and looked into the same things that Cuban has done, and then present there findings to Stern then something would be done. The problem as we all know is that Cuban stands alone. The rest of the owners are to chicken shit to stand up to Stern, so Cuban takes the fall.
I love the run, and gun, and pushing the ball every oportunity is wonderful, and it is also benificial to the Mav's. But at the same time it's hard to figure when the team is so successfull when they really put the defense first. We all know they can score 100 any given night. So don't you think that this should be used as a weapon, and not the philosophy? I mean it's hard to think of this team being conservitive. I know that they can blow teams out any given night, but again, 15-0 when they put the hammer down is hard to debate.......
Thanks for the support guys. I've been away too long, and I've spent too much time on web sites that just plain suck. I'm glad to be back where the conversation is constuctive, and enertaining.........
Old 01-08-2003, 04:11 PM   #15
LRB
Guru

Chef Ed: Agree with you that Cubes needs to build consensus with owners to effectively make changes to officiating. Maybe that's what he's doing now. We're just not privy to all the details. Don't think we need to abandon our offensive philosophy of running, running, and running some more. Taking good shots often early in the shot clock. Actually I think this helps our defense as long as we take good shots. What we can't do is go back to the thinking of we'll just out score them. We need to play good defense whether our shots or falling or not. Actually, good defense is one of the best things for our offense also. We are best on offense in transition. Transition is best achieved off of missed baskets capped with a defensive rebound. IMO the Mavs are their best when they are running on offense and playing inspired defense. Each seems to feed off the other. But we can't afford just to play the offensive end only.

Also, one other intersting stat. We are 26-0 over the last 3 years when the Mantis gets a double-double. Those games usually feature great defense because Shawn needs to be playing well to get the minutes to get a double-double. Think that is a key there. So hopefully Shawn will pick up another double-double tonight and the Mavs will get another W.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:13 PM   #16
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

It is remarkable how different the NFL is than the NBA. The NFL publicly admonished a ref crew for a blown call in a playoff game.

Wouldn't it be refreshing for the NBA to exhibit similar honesty?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:17 PM   #17
LRB
Guru

<< It is remarkable how different the NFL is than the NBA. The NFL publicly admonished a ref crew for a blown call in a playoff game.

Wouldn't it be refreshing for the NBA to exhibit similar honesty?
>>

It would be refreshing, but I don't see it happening under David Stern's watch. His philospy appears to be deny any officiating problems and they never happened. I would love to be proven wrong, but I fear I won't be.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:23 PM   #18
Chiwas
Guru

<< Also, one other intersting stat. We are 26-0 over the last 3 years when the Mantis gets a double-double. Those games usually feature great defense because Shawn needs to be playing well to get the minutes to get a double-double. Think that is a key there. So hopefully Shawn will pick up another double-double tonight and the Mavs will get another W. >>

Shawn has had 26 double-double because Dallas has won those 26 games! (See your signature)
Old 01-10-2003, 04:41 PM   #19
Chiwas
Guru

&quot;Am I ready to play 48 minutes? No,&quot; Eschmeyer said. &quot;But am I close to being able to contribute out on the court? Yes. My role is to go out there, play physical, be aggressive, and maybe give a good hard foul now and then. I think I can be that guy.&quot;

He´s coming...!