Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-31-2010, 02:40 AM   #41
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow..our free agent signing is now third center it appears. Someone is getting some tough love.

RC didn't have much choice but to stick with jet because he and caron were the only two players who seemed to have a chance of scoring out there. What is pretty obvious however is that jet really can't get nearly as good a shot off by himself as he used to. He's been parlaying dirk for open looks for a while.

Pretty disappointing two games by him. I didn't like his defensive effort either, everyone seemed to blow by him and he seemed unable or unwilling to get through picks.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2010, 03:01 AM   #42
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight is a loss but it still gives me validation in my belief that if the playing field is all-square, everyone is healthy...I'm still taking the Mavs over the Spurs in a best of seven series. I'll still take it even if the Spurs have homecourt.

I have a hard time believing the Spurs maintain that pace and actually have the ability to stick with it through the playoffs, past Mavericks teams have shown that.

I think Tyson can do work against Duncan and we've got enough big bodies to throw their way if he happens to get in foul trouble. The Spurs don't have an answer for Dirk, plain and simple and it appears that Butler is emerging as another weapon the Spurs can't account for.

It just comes down to guys like Kidd, Jet, Barea and Roddy being able to counter Manu, Parker and Neal.

Take Dat Wit Chew
Old 12-31-2010, 03:11 AM   #43
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I think the reason AA got so much PT instead of Mahimi and Haywood is simply because with Dirk out we need as much offense as we can get and he provides the most offensive punch of the group.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:16 AM   #44
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

That Dirk guy is pretty important.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:40 AM   #45
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Kidd, Butler, and Chandler looked great tonight, they really gave me the impression that they badly wanted to step up and win his game. Unfortunate that Jet had such an awful game, with Dirk we would've been able to overcome it though.

Loved Kidd's block on TP and Butler's dunk in the 4th was siiicckkk!

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:09 AM   #46
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Why we lose:
Gary Neal scores 21 points!Are you serious?
J.Kidd had a triple-double(but he can't finish easy bucket)
Ajinca can't defend pick and rolls
Haywood doesn't play(Why?)
Dirk doesn't play
Jason Terry 3 of 16!!!Are you kidding me?(He's the worst Dallas Mavericks player.TRADE THIS!!!)

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 12-31-2010 at 10:36 AM.
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:18 AM   #47
Dan1

Dan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to all

Ajinca sucked pretty badly, let me say that...
showed some moves, but took some stupid shots and couldnt defend anybody
and carlisle rotations were awful

no comments for jason terry...

props to kidd and butler
Old 12-31-2010, 07:33 AM   #48
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Last night would have been a good game to have Roddy around. Terry's performance reminded me of why he can't be trusted.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:09 AM   #49
FiZth

FiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of light

I am the only one who actually doesn't mind this result and is pretty confident to meet with Spurs in playoffs? We had like thousand thing going wrong and we still had a winnable game.

... and Jason Terry poor performance? 5+ seasons with Mavericks and still somebody is suprised that he can give you 5/5 in 4th one day and 3/16 in next game. What more do you want from bench guy? He is streaky shooter, live with it. He will win us some games, but not all of them. Nobody will. With good defense and Dirk hitting shots, plus Caron helping out, we will be alright in 4th.

Im even happy that we didn't won this game. This should show players that there is plenty to do, to be the best team.
FiZth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 AM   #50
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Our S5 was better then SAS S5, just look at +/-. Their bench destroyed our bench.
Kidd block on Parker was the best part of game. Butler improve he can stay at this team. Can't he dunk like that in 4th in other games? Chandler played good, but he doesn't press in defence now, like he did it before injury few games ago.
It's 2nd straight game that shows we need true SG. That's how JT will play in PO, and we don't know what Roddy can play this season.
deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #51
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ajinca shooting 50 threes just pissed me off.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:11 AM   #52
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
Ajinca shooting 50 threes just pissed me off.
But that's why Carlisle put him out there - to stretch the floor...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:12 AM   #53
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
Last night would have been a good game to have Roddy around. Terry's performance reminded me of why he can't be trusted.
Yes and yes.

(although this game was close enough that we would have won if JET had shot a measly 6-16 instead of a horrid 3-16...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-31-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 AM   #54
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Wow..our free agent signing is now third center it appears. Someone is getting some tough love.
And deservedly so. Carlisle has given him plenty of chances to break out of his funk. If you aren't going to produce, then you aren't going to play.

Back to Jason....

There is IMO more concern with Terry than just this game. He's 28-77 on fgs in the last 5 (36%) and 9-27 on threes (33%). He's just so damn streaky that you have to swallow very hard when that shot isn't going in.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #55
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

sorry but carlisle is an idiot. we really could have used haywoods defense and ajinca jacked up some horrible shots, haywood>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ajinca
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #56
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

So much for the people saying that Haywood does not need PT and the Mavs can stick with Mahinmi + Ajinca. Haywood is better and the Mavs need him and Chandler to make something happen.

Man, if Terry goes 6-16 the game would be tied or won by the Mavs!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #57
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

I don't get not playing both Haywood and Mahinmi. I could probably buy that the matchup wasn't good for Haywood, but why not play Mahinmi? He's the same type player as Tyson and Tyson didn't have any trouble making an impact last night. I know he's not as good as Tyson, but he's the same type player and he's clearly better than Ajincia (IMO).
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #58
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

On a side note, i feel bad for Marion having to play most his minutes with JJB, Terry, and Ajincia last night.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #59
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

when ajinca gets the ball he is gonna shoot it, it doesn't matter if it's a layup, double crossover fadeaway 18 footer, 3 pointer, when the ball is in his hands he's shooting
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #60
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
Yea it would really be nice to have at least one option for jet when he's not playing well. There just isn't anyone else on the roster that can sit him down. JJB is the only thing close to it and he's been in a terrible slump.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 12-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #61
dude1394
Guru

Ajinca went 1-3 in that huge run that got the spurs away from us. But jet went 1-8.

Possibly Ajinca being out there was a problem setting screens..but I didn't see much of an inside game that haywood/mahinmi would have helped with. Possibly someone who could have made a difference as an offensive rebounder since we were clanking so many shots.

He settled down in his second stint to go 2-4..
Old 12-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #62
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
I think the reason AA got so much PT instead of Mahimi and Haywood is simply because with Dirk out we need as much offense as we can get and he provides the most offensive punch of the group.
Yep. I'm not buying that this is the death knell for Haywood as the backup center. I think this was completely based on circumstances, and I expect to see Haywood back to being our backup center when the roster is back to normal.

Not that he really deserves it, and he might lose more and more minutes to Ian/Alexi, but I'd be really surprised if this was the beginning of the end of his time as the primary backup.

As to the game as a whole, I was really pleased with the overall effort and performance. Jet was horrendous, and it's really frustrating that your second option can't step up when he's needed most. I guess that's why he's a very poor second option.

Very pleased with Butler, easily his best game of the season. Not sure he can remain that efficient when the's not the primary scoring option, but it's nice to see that he can still turn in games like that.

I was really impressed with Kidd for the entire game. He really, really left it all out there. Didn't shoot it well but gosh did he do his best to will the team to a win.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that we're better than the Spurs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #63
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Good lord....Ajinca played 11 minutes. Some people need to stop making it seem like he ruined the team. His 7 points was more than Haywood has had in the last 4 games. The Mavs need offense while Dirk is out.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #64
dude1394
Guru

One crticism I do have for RC is that he didn't force feed marion the ball on the block a little bit more. The problem with doing that with marion is that he doesn't pass out of it well, so if you give it to him down there he's going to take a shot with everyone standing and watching.

At least jet is getting movement when he's the option..

But the mavs just do not have a lot of dynamic scorers that's for sure.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #65
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Good lord....Ajinca played 11 minutes. Some people need to stop making it seem like he ruined the team. His 7 points was more than Haywood has had in the last 4 games. The Mavs need offense while Dirk is out.
Yea I don't get the grief either. He was inconsequential out there but going 3-7 with an and-one is not the biggest problem we had out there last night.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #66
Popeye

Oh, i wasn't saying it lost the game, it was just a strange decision.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #67
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I liked what Ajinca showed. He's obviously a niche player but it's good to have another 7 footer who can help stretch the floor even if he's only going to be able to play 5-10 minutes without being exposed in other ways. IMO, he is just another tool in the kit for Rick.

Really, most of the team brought it last night. Kidd, Butler, TC and Ajinca played pretty good games. Marion and Cardinal played well enough. Stevenson and JJB were meh but the sucking sound really only belongs to JET.

I also understand JET is streaky and the only way shooters come out of a funk is BY shooting. That said, I think JET bugs me in the way that is really not his fault. I get bugged by JJB in the same way. For all our perceived depth, our backcourt is pretty weak sans Roddy (and DoJo I suppose). JJB is the only PG and JET is the only SG. No matter how poorly they play, they're playing teen+ minutes each and likely to combine for 40+. Our starters, JKidd and Stevenson, have their strengths but they are also offensively-limited players. This backcourt makeup puts a lot of pressure on our frontcourt to manufacture points. Except we play mostly defensive-oriented centers to play our zone/D and so we're reduced to 2 positions where we can get solid offensive production. That sort of dependency is easier to neutralize and also puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the game (like say JKidd's post up abilities or JET's jumper).

I don't want to be kneejerky but this team will likely need Roddy/DoJo/somebody else to step up in the backcourt to go WCF or Finals in the playoffs.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 12-31-2010 at 11:07 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #68
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Spurs don't have an answer for Dirk, plain and simple and it appears that Butler is emerging as another weapon the Spurs can't account for.
The answer for Dirk (or at least Pops hopes) is McDyess to be able to body Dirk up relentlessly and not get called for fouls like last year.

The good news for the Mavs though is they have Tyson Chandler instead of Dampier on offense. And the Spurs could play a quasi zone against Dirk. They could have McvDyess body him up but have Duncsn in "help" mode becuse no one has to guard Damp.

As for the game, it was a very good effort. The Mavs played hard and that is all you can expect.I made the comment last night:

Quote:
Yesterday, 10:15 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haywood will officially be in the dohgouse if Ian plays over Haywood.

I think Carlisle went with Ajinca because he can spread the floor better. The Spurs can't clog the paint as easily.
It doesn't surprise me that Carlisle tried it.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:14 AM   #69
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I think jthig said it elsewhere else first, and I don't think I'm being kneejerky, but it's games like these that show me I wouldn't want to move Butler straight up for an Iggy or a Crash type player. We would need to get someone who has 20+ PPG type potential because this team needs reliable scoring more than it needs athleticism, defense or rebounds.

Last edited by rabbitproof; 12-31-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #70
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
I think jthig said it elsewhere else first, and I don't think I'm being kneejerky, but it's games like these that show me I wouldn't want to move Butler straight up for an Iggy or a Crash type player that doesn't really have 20 PPG potential because this team needs reliable scoring more than it needs athleticism, defense or rebounds.
Yep, I think I'm fully on the no-Iggy bandwagon. Butler still drives me insane several times a game, but I don't trade him for anything short of a superstar at this point. He's playing too well, but more importantly, the team is playing to well to shake it up for a relatively lateral move.

I still think Iggy is a better player, even with his down year, but Butler fits better.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-31-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #71
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

I agree. I was on the fence before but I'm in now.

I think Iggy/Crash are better players as well and Butler, being more one-dimensional and a outside scorer, has more risk to his game but Butler, being the better shooter, will capitalize on the space Dirk creates better and can also generate his own scoring.

Anyways, I think the trade swingman prospects would then be narrowed down to Carmelo and Kevin Martin.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #72
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin Martin, I just don't know. He scores very well (gets to to the free throw line) but his shooting is extremely streaky. And I don't think he does anything else. Not a good defender, passer, etc.

But he is a huge upgrade over Terry... and the less the Mavs rely on Terry, the better.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:44 AM   #73
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Kevin Martin, I just don't know. He scores very well (gets to to the free throw line) but his shooting is extremely streaky. And I don't think he does anything else. Not a good defender, passer, etc.

But he is a huge upgrade over Terry... and the less the Mavs rely on Terry, the better.
Kevin Martin is one of the best offensive players in the entire NBA. Yes that's all he does, but it's also exactly what we need. Martin is absolutely someone I would give up Butler for. And more.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #74
Bayliss

Quote:
Kevin Martin is one of the best offensive players in the entire NBA. Yes that's all he does, but it's also exactly what we need. Martin is absolutely someone I would give up Butler for. And more.
I agree that he is a great scorer. Forgot to mention besides the scoring, another major thing that worries me is his durability. Kevin Martin has played 60 games or less for the last 3 seasons. This year he appears healthy...

Last edited by Bayliss; 12-31-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #75
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Btw, I think Cardinal has earned a guaranteed contract for the rest of the season.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #76
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Signature.

This is what he does.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #77
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Yep. I'm not buying that this is the death knell for Haywood as the backup center. I think this was completely based on circumstances, and I expect to see Haywood back to being our backup center when the roster is back to normal.

Not that he really deserves it, and he might lose more and more minutes to Ian/Alexi, but I'd be really surprised if this was the beginning of the end of his time as the primary backup.

As to the game as a whole, I was really pleased with the overall effort and performance. Jet was horrendous, and it's really frustrating that your second option can't step up when he's needed most. I guess that's why he's a very poor second option.

Very pleased with Butler, easily his best game of the season. Not sure he can remain that efficient when the's not the primary scoring option, but it's nice to see that he can still turn in games like that.

I was really impressed with Kidd for the entire game. He really, really left it all out there. Didn't shoot it well but gosh did he do his best to will the team to a win.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that we're better than the Spurs.
Agree with all of this.

People, not jthig, need to understand that if the situation calls for it then RC is going to away from Haywood. Pop is smart enough to go for the Hack-a-Wood and Haywood's game wasn't going to be that effective in a game against the "new" Spurs, especially if Dirk is out of the game. The Spurs are more inclined to push the tempo - that doesn't work for Haywood. The Mavericks needed to stretch the floor on offense - that doesn't work with Haywood in.

Mahinmi and Ajinca are both seen as players who can play the 5, Ajinca is the only guy out of the two who is seen as a 4 based on his ability to extend outside with the range. He was better suited to get minutes based on the matchup and the situation.

I'm actually surprised JJ wasn't effective last night in a scoring capacity. My memory is telling me he's had success over the Spurs...I might be wrong though.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #78
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Cardinal played very well againts San Antonio I like him.
Why we don't trade Terry?I think many teams will by interested his self

Last edited by 41mvp; 12-31-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #79
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Terry is the best 4th quarter shooter in the league or at least in the top 10. Why would we want to trade a clutch scorer and a chemistry guy when he just sucks against one team and has a downer of a game once in a while?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #80
41mvp
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Terry is the best 4th quarter shooter in the league or at least in the top 10. Why would we want to trade a clutch scorer and a chemistry guy when he just sucks against one team and has a downer of a game once in a while?
Jason Terry, SG Min (20) FG (1-7) 3PT (0-2) FT (0-0) Reb (0) Ast (2) Stl (1) Blk (0) TO (2) PF (1) +/- (-15) PTS (2) Do you remember this ststs?Whay you think about this?
When Dirk sits on the banch Terry ia a leader.We can't trush him

Last edited by 41mvp; 12-31-2010 at 01:10 PM.