Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-11-2003, 02:27 AM   #1
Chef Ed

Chef Ed is on a distinguished road

The Kings win against the Nets, and lose against the Timberwolvwes.
The Mav's continue to win the games they are supose to, and with that said, have a nice day, and thanks for playing. We will see you on the 15th. I thought the Kings would give a good fight against the best team in the NBA, but you know what. They suck, and everyone knows it. Just frosting on the cake, and if you want. I'll bake the damb thing.....
Old 01-11-2003, 02:30 AM   #2
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

Now your coming around Chef.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 02:32 AM   #3
Chef Ed

Yea, I know. I'm in St. Louis now, and it's about cultural shock. Just getting my legs back......
Old 01-11-2003, 02:46 AM   #4
BrianJ

Aye Carumba Chef. did not realize you had left the board that would have been weird dead air. I was just going to say in this more toned down version that I live in Carbondale.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:08 AM   #5
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

slow your role peeps, the kings haven't been healthy all year and are not that far behind us in the standings, to say they suck is ignorant, their bench depth is impresive and intimidating, they kicked our asses last year, and i suspect we will have to go through them this year to go to the finals. I hate the kings and they make me want a to puke, but they are far from sucking.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:45 AM   #6
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

FCS,simply took the wards our of my mouth.
i truely hate the kings,every player and managment idiot,but to say the team suck?!despite the lakers sudden comeback i predict the west final will a Mavs-Kings duel,its the only team im scared of this year,not saying i think we'll **** (cant say it),but it would'nt be as easy as people think,thank god the players know it,they know they should'nt pay too much attention to the regular season and that they still havent proven themself's.

nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 10:24 AM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Everyone forgets that Mavs have had there injurys too. Even though it wasn't anyone in our lineup other then Dirk's couple of games people want to forget the fact that we have had injury's to our best players. But to say Kings suck? Looks like huge homerism there especially the comment that they are playing for second. You fail to realize that Lakers are champs and Kings beat us in round 2 last season. Until Mavs prove otherwise like giving up a 30 point lead to the Lakers, we have alot of bumpy roads to go ourselfs. It's amazing what a good win does to fans.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:42 AM   #8
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

we were dominating the lakers 7 out of 8 quarters this year

blowing 30 points is bad ... given

but it´s the past, just like the ring.

you know, lakers are still the ringbearers, kings are the one´s who beat us last year, and the East is still the best according to the east media ...
Old 01-11-2003, 11:54 AM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

To say that the Kings suck is inaccurate. They have an exceptionally talented team. To say that they aren't as consistent as the Mavs so far this year would be better and more accurate. But they are still a darn good team. Just look at their record. Despite the simply amazing play of the Mavs we are only one choked road trip from being tied with them. Great teams are defined by the teams that they beat. To be truely great you need a formidable opponent to overcome. Hopefully the Kings will provide this for us.

Beside Webber and Bobby Jackson (and Mrs. Christie) there is no one on the Kings that I truely dislike. I've tried to dislike Vlade, but just haven't succeeded yet. Not that I don't root against those guys. It just isn't fair not to give the Kings their just and well earned props, just like it isn't fair to withhold them from the Mavs. If you want to talk about teams sucking it up, change the conversation to the Lakers who have brought underachievement to a new level.

BTW if Shawn is in the running for MIP, Dirk for MVP, then Shaq should get MLP. Most Lazy Player.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:41 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The Kings do not suck. That is rediculous. Are the Mavs better? Yes, in my opinion...but the Kings hardly suck.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 12:47 PM   #11
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Chef got into his cooking wine last night, methinks. With his last sentence, I thought that he was going to break into a rendition of "MacArthur Park".
Old 01-11-2003, 12:52 PM   #12
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< East is still the best according to the east media ... >>

LOL - Maybe I should just get a labotamy and move east so I can get a job as a sportswriter for one of the NY papers. Those powerhouse Nets and Celtics really showed the west a thing or 2 the last couple of nights. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 01:04 PM   #13
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

The Kings don`t SUCK...too much fine wine, Mr. Ed...BUT I do HATE the Kings and the Mavs will prevail...

digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 02:29 PM   #14
Chef Ed

Let me set the record for everyone. No.... The Queens are not a bad team. Yes they will probably be in the WCF with the Mav's unless something really bad happens. Yes.... I have respect for their bench, even though they choke on a daily basis, and can't hit freethrows when they count, but no they don't suck in a way that you all are refering to. I just mean they suck period. Don't like them or the Lakers, so in my terminology they all suck except for the Mavericks.

PS. They have a train that goes from St. Louis to Carbondale. I wonder if they still show concerts in the SIU Areana.....

My First concert was Frank Zappa on my 16th birthday. And yea, I got into the cooking wine that night, along with a hole lot more condements.....Go Silukies.......
Old 01-12-2003, 02:52 AM   #15
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Chef has a point here, even though it is his personal opinion. We are not confident. This board is not confident. We have like four or five King's fans that post on here and talk crap. Its not harmful, but we need to be proud of our mavs and show it. I've been on this board for a while now, even though I don't post a lot, I know what I'm talking about. So the Kings do suck, and we are the best team, by far. I hope we show them why we are in first place.

The foglemann cometh...
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 01:32 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the kings have accomplished much more recently than that mavs.. going back to last years playoffs, it's easy to see that the mavs must prove it in the playoffs before anyone should come on here and say &quot;the kings suck&quot;
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 02:30 AM   #17
BrianJ

Chef they still have shows here but they always suck. In the piss yellow arena
Old 01-13-2003, 10:50 AM   #18
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Umm... I kinda like the Kings. They're like Mavs in many ways... multicultural, great chemistry, no egos and exciting to watch.
Do you guys hate them because they beat us in the playoffs? Hell... I'd take Sac to win it over the Lakers anytime if you ask me. Lakers the sports team I hate all time... arrogant, pompous, stupid all in a package. I do think Sac is better than Dallas... they just seem more complete in all aspects of the game.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 11:15 AM   #19
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

<< I do think Sac is better than Dallas... they just seem more complete in all aspects of the game. >>

I wonder why Mavs are 4 games ahead in almost half season.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:41 PM   #20
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

<<

<< I do think Sac is better than Dallas... they just seem more complete in all aspects of the game. >>

I wonder why Mavs are 4 games ahead in almost half season.
>>

Well Chiwas... we are ahead because we beat the weaker teams that we're suppose to beat and Sacramento had a few upset defeats. However, regular season record doesn't mean much if the Mavs win many games but lose a few games to teams like Spurs, Lakers or Kings.
I hope the fans are not easily deceived by the Mavs' record... it's great that we're ahead in seedings but it all comes down to how we play against the tough teams in WC.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:51 PM   #21
NBAGURU

NBAGURU is on a distinguished road

I checked out some of the Kings forums: and this is what the kingsfans are saying!

&lt;&lt; The Kings will beat the Mavs. No one can beat the Kings when the Kings are focused. They have grown into a mature, big-game team. The Mavs are where the Kings were last year or the year before, when they couldn't beat the Lakers because of the pressure. The Kings will win this game easier than you would even believe &gt;&gt;

&lt;&lt; The Kings have been great about this very thing this year. I have no doubts as to the game wednesday. Besides, if the Lakers can beat the Mavs then...need I say more?

I personally think Mavs will win the game! Showing who's best in the NBA! But, everyone won't make a big deal out of it. Mavs beat the Kings 3-1 games in the regular season last year, and it didn't matter in the playoffs.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:18 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Both teams have a lot to play for. Kings to show that the mavs are still upstarts and the mavs to show that they are in the same league.

If the mavs lose at their house then the onus is on the mavs to win at home and vice-versa for the kings..

Actually I think THIS seasons games mean more than last year as the mavs really just weren't as good as the kings and it showed. This years is somewhat different however.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 01:30 PM   #23
LRB
Guru

<< However, regular season record doesn't mean much if the Mavs win many games but lose a few games to teams like Spurs, Lakers or Kings. >>

What an inane and uninformed statement. Doesn't mean much? It means a tremendous amount. It means that if we keep winning that we will make the playoffs. Just beating the Spurs, Lakers, and Kings will not get us into the playoffs. NO team has ever made the playoffs with anything close to a 12 and 70 record. Even taking our 31 Wins and adding 4 for the Kings, 2 for the Lakers, and 3 for the spurs would only get us 40 wins which would almost assuredly land us in the lottery instead of the playoffs.

And if we made the playoffs, we certainly wouldn't have home court advantage. This season is not about beating those teams in the regular season, although that would be nice. It is about beating them in the post season. We won 3 out of 4 games against the kings last year. They finished with a better record than us and a higher playoff seeding. They beat us 4 games to 1 in the playoffs. I'd rather lose all 4 games to the Kings and beat them in the playoffs than have the other happen. Other than psychological impact those games against the Spurs, Lakers, and Kings will have no real consequences on us unless our regular season records are tied.

All that being said, I want to see us do well against these teams. But if we don't in the regular season, all is not lost. We are 1 and 2 against these teams so far. But the 2 loses have come as part of back to back games which we won't be playing in the playoffs. 1 lose was without Dirk, and we probably won't win many games in the playoffs if we are without Dirk. So to say that regular season wins against teams other than the Spurs, Lakers, and Kings doesn't mean anything is just plain stupid. The perpose of the regular season is to determine the playoff teams and their relative seeding. So news flash, eveygame counts towards that end. Anty thin else is just pure media drival.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:06 PM   #24
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

I feel you LRB... and I didn't say that regular season games AREN'T important. Of course winning regular season games is important so it will get us to home-court advantage and confidence in the playoffs. But what if Dallas ends up with 70-12 record with all loses to Spurs, Lakers and Kings (not that it will happen)? If that really happens, how different are we compared to the 93-94 Sonics who was the best team in the regular season and that was it?
I think the Mavs have passed the stage where we're playing just to make the playoffs or to win a series or two. We're playing to improve our championship chances and to prove that we can hang with the big boys... which we haven't been able to show. However I do agree with you that we lost to Spurs because Dirk was injured.
I never thought that regular season games aren't important, but I also think that being the best team in the regular season doesn't mean much if we lose statement games. So far we're 0-2 in statement games against Lakers and Spurs (again... we should've beaten Spurs if Dirk was in).
Do you feel me?
Old 01-13-2003, 02:25 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

NBAGuru- welcome to the board...but if you are going to use that name yo uneed to post a whole lot more. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 02:34 PM   #26
LRB
Guru

TrippleDipping: I get your point, just don't agree with the way that you are making it. The Mavs are 31-5 currently. They have are 1-2 collectively againt the Spurs, Lakers, and Kings. If we win the rest of our games expect against those 3 teams (9 games) we will be 68-14 and almost assuredly have home court advantage throughout the playoffs. That is a major success. But if we play the Lakers in the 1st round and lose to them that would be a major dissappointment. And I would consider our season somewhat of a step back, unless there was a valid reason that we lost. Like Dirk got hurt and was unavailable.

Now if we beat those teams for the reamining games and win 1/2 of our other games we would finish with 57.5 wins or rounded up 58 wins. That may or maynot get us the division championship. I do not think it will get us homecourt throughout the playoffs. Regardless we will have a high probability of facing San Antonio or Sacramento in the 2nd round with a good chance of not having homecourt advantage. Even though we would be 3-1 against the spurs and 4-0 against the Kings this wouldn't guarrantee us anything. The only thing we can guarrantee with regular season wins in homecourt advantage. We beat the Kings 3-1 last year and still lost to them in the playoffs 4-1. So I'm far from convinced about the meaning of these regular season games as a significant psychological edge. Jordan's last championship his bulls lost the regular season to Utah 0-2, but still went on to beat them for the championship 4-2.

No what is important is beating these teams in the post season. I feel obtaining home court advantage is much more important in achieving this than regular season victories over the said teams. We've proven that we can hang with the big boys in the regular season. We played the Lakers and Spurs tough in all 4 games last year with each game being decided in the final seconds. We are 2 and 4 against the lakers over the last 2 seasons with all our loses being very close. We are 3-1 against the Kings in the regular season. What we haven't proven is that we can finish the season with a better record than any of these teams. We haven't had a better regular records than any of these 3 teams in over a decade. Statement games are nice, but should always take backseat to winning the most games in the regular season. BTW the only real statement games come in the playoffs. The other games are just to get the best position you can going into the playoffs.

BTW we're eith 1-2 or 0-1 in statement games against these teams. If you throw out the blow out win over the Shaqless Lakers you certainly have to throw out the close lose to the Spurs playing without Dirk.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:52 PM   #27
NBAGURU

NBAGURU is on a distinguished road

I agree with everything you said LRB!

&lt;&lt;&lt; NBAGuru- welcome to the board...but if you are going to use that name yo uneed to post a whole lot more.&gt;&gt;&gt;

Hey Drbio!! here's another one of my post, and many more to come. PLEASE IF YOU CAN? KEEP UPDATING ME ON HOW MANY POSTING'S I HAVE!! I would really appreciate it. Thanks Drbio ..your the best.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:52 PM   #28
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<<
BTW we're eith 1-2 or 0-1 in statement games against these teams. If you throw out the blow out win over the Shaqless Lakers you certainly have to throw out the close lose to the Spurs playing without Dirk.
>>

Agree completely. You can't just take the regular season games in black and white. We have to show up and compete. Sure we SHOULD be 2-0 against the lakers but we are only 1-1, but surely we think we can play with them.

San Antonio also certainley has an asterik. Now all of that said wednesday nights game as far as I know will be pretty straight up. We don't have najera, they don't have jackson. Peja is back and so is raef. Not that I put a lot of stock in them but the USATODAY sagarin ratings would have us as 99.80-(96.15+3.00) over sacremento, or essentially a wash.

Has anyone seen a las vegas line??

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote