Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What's your prediction for the second round?
Mavs in 4 4 2.55%
Mavs in 5 5 3.18%
Mavs in 6 68 43.31%
Mavs in 7 34 21.66%
Lakers in 7 6 3.82%
Lakers in 6 23 14.65%
Lakers in 5 12 7.64%
Lakers in 4 5 3.18%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #161
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
If we execute I don't see why we can't beat LA.
Because we can't stop their low-post scorers. That's really what it comes down to.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #162
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

I don't like our chances in this series. Lakers have 3 of the 4 best players on the court, maybe 4 of the best 5 (Odom > Chandler? maybe)...

very tough matchup given than circumstance.

Howeva!

LETS GO MAVS!!!
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #163
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

I live by one rule AGN(Any Given Night).
Old 05-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #164
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
I don't like our chances in this series. Lakers have 3 of the 4 best players on the court, maybe 4 of the best 5 (Odom > Chandler? maybe)...

very tough matchup given than circumstance.

Howeva!

LETS GO MAVS!!!
Im just glad the series isnt played out in NBA 2k11

I have a lot of concerns, but none of them are "who has the best players"

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-01-2011 at 11:32 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #165
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Addw...embedded#at=17
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #166
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjTm2Dl1bTo
Old 05-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #167
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

I beat the Lakers 101-88 in my game. Marion had 16, Dirk struggled a bit but led the team with 22, Jet 19, TC and Haywood combined for 14, and JJB had 8.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #168
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be very curious to see what the reaction is nationally to this match up if the Mavs are even competitive.

I think if most of the nation, including NBA analysts, were to rank the 5 best players in this series, it would look something like this:

1. Kobe
2. Dirk
3. Pau
4. Bynum
5. Odom

And a lot of people make the (ridiculous) case that Pau is pretty close to, or on, Dirk's level.

So really, for the Mavs to even remotely compete in this series against a team that stacked should be a huge story nationally.

More than anything I hope for a Mavs win, but beyond that I hope for Dirk to account well for himself on this stage. In the long run it doesn't really matter, but I could use a break from defending his reputation to morons.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-02-2011 at 09:50 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #169
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily not all those will play for 48 minutes a game. I think these kind of "ratings" are crappy to say the least. Maybe they own four of the five best players in the series, but then which one really does scare you beyond that? Fisher? Barnes? Blake? Brown? Maybe Artest.

They take 4 out of 5 and we take 9 out of 14. I can live with that.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #170
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Luckily not all those will play for 48 minutes a game. I think these kind of "ratings" are crappy to say the least. Maybe they own four of the five best players in the series, but then which one really does scare you beyond that? Fisher? Barnes? Blake? Brown? Maybe Artest.

They take 4 out of 5 and we take 9 out of 14. I can live with that.
Well, the NBA is a star driven league. Having such a distinct advantage at the top is a big deal.

I would argue that the list should be Dirk at the top, and Pau's not on his level at all. That's one of the real factors in why this series should be at least somewhat competitive.

The post was intended more as a comment on how the majority of NBA fans view the series and how they will respond if it is competitive, more so than an actual discussion of the rosters.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #171
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

I picked LA in 6, but I could see the Mavs winning in 6 or 7. This first game is really important. I think it is our best chance to steal one in LA.

Fortunately, the LA crowd is nowhere near the crowd of Portland. They actually boo their own team...wow.

Bynum is the key to this series. If we can slow him down and/or get him in foul trouble enough, we will win. Unfortunately, that is very difficult to do. Damp has actually done a better job historically than both Chandler and Haywood on Bynum, so I miss him. He was an underrated defender.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #172
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Lakers unquestionably best the Mavs at the tops of the roster. We'll need a 2004-Pistons-like team effort (not necessarily playing out exactly the same, since I don't think our defense can hold the Lakers to 70 points a game, but that sort of effort and execution).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #173
NBA_fan_LA

NBA_fan_LA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
It's a bad sign that the Mavs coach is picking the Lakers in 4..
No he didn't,,, did he?
NBA_fan_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #174
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA_fan_LA View Post
No he didn't,,, did he?
Yes he did
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #175
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoeschmoe View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bynum is the key to this series. If we can slow him down and/or get him in foul trouble enough, we will win. Unfortunately, that is very difficult to do. Damp has actually done a better job historically than both Chandler and Haywood on Bynum, so I miss him. He was an underrated defender.
Historically Bynum was either always injured or coming back from injuries when Damp faced up with him. Damp also never provided any help defense like Chandler even Haywood is better than Damp in that respect. Damp was never underated as a defender. Contrare he was always overrated. Damp had one positive skill and that was to put his slow massive body on other slow massive bodys that inhabited the area 5ft and in to the basket. In all other respects he was an actual libility on defense.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #176
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
Historically Bynum was either always injured or coming back from injuries when Damp faced up with him. Damp also never provided any help defense like Chandler even Haywood is better than Damp in that respect. Damp was never underated as a defender. Contrare he was always overrated. Damp had one positive skill and that was to put his slow massive body on other slow massive bodys that inhabited the area 5ft and in to the basket. In all other respects he was an actual libility on defense.
When isn't Bynum injured or coming back from injury?

He was only a liability against teams that had really quick 4/5 type centers like Nene.

The fact of the matter is that he would be better in this series than either Haywood or Chandler simply because he is a lot stronger. I loooove Chandler too. He's a far better player than Damp, but he has trouble with the bigger centers.

Many people confused being overpaid with being bad.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #177
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs in 6
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #178
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be hearing "Dallas sucks" chants from the Lakers crowd by nights end.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #179
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I'll be very curious to see what the reaction is nationally to this match up if the Mavs are even competitive.

I think if most of the nation, including NBA analysts, were to rank the 5 best players in this series, it would look something like this:

1. Kobe
2. Dirk
3. Pau
4. Bynum
5. Odom

And a lot of people make the (ridiculous) case that Pau is pretty close to, or on, Dirk's level.

So really, for the Mavs to even remotely compete in this series against a team that stacked should be a huge story nationally.

More than anything I hope for a Mavs win, but beyond that I hope for Dirk to account well for himself on this stage. In the long run it doesn't really matter, but I could use a break from defending his reputation to morons.

I see what your saying but I disagree about the top 5 because our team is just different that way...

We are spread out with more depth but less top end power.... and that's the case vs us and most teams.... you could even say that for Portland (maybe not 5 though).

Maybe I'm just a dreamer, but I think we'll surely compete and if we execute can win.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #180
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

To those 4 guys who voted Mavs in 4: I got 2 things to say:

1. F'n geniuses
2. Can I borrow your crystal ball?
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #181
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Somehow I have a feeling that UL didn't actually think we'd sweep LA. But regardless, props to those 4 boys.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #182
mavs777
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan, FreshJive, LetsGoMavs, Usually Lurkin
Old 05-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #183
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Somehow I have a feeling that UL didn't actually think we'd sweep LA. But regardless, props to those 4 boys.
OK then I'm gonna add item 3 in my list: lucky sh!t
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #184
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Dirkadirkastan, FreshJive, LetsGoMavs, Usually Lurkin
...we're going to Vegas, guys!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #185
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

mavs in 5 for me...damn
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #186
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
...we're going to Vegas, guys!
...can I please join you? Pretty please?
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #187
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Chuck came to me in a vision, kicked my ass, and killed my cat. "That's for the silly username. Mavs in four." Then he resurrected my cat.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote