Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bring on the negative rep....

I really, really hate to say this.. But, I really gained a little bit of respect for Bryant. I know that it's setting the bar low, but at least he wasn't taking cheap shots late in games. I know that he caught some crap for believing that his team would still come back after game three, but isn't that exactly what you'd want Dirk to think if the situation was reversed?

Yeah, I'm not saying I have a ton of respect for this guy. I think he has a tendency to forget his teammates too often. I don't think he's the best leader either. But, I do appreciate that he stepped up and called out his teammates for their classless cheapshots.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
But, I do appreciate that he stepped up and called out his teammates for their classless cheapshots.
Yeah, at least he went down with a bit of class...

I'll have to spread some rep before I can neg-rep you, sorry.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

No neg rep from me. I sorta like Kobe. I don't like everything about him, and he's not half the teammate Dirk is, but I have way, way less of a problem with him than several of the other big names in the league (cough Miami Heat).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I can attribute him calling Bynum out as just another instance of him wanting the negative focus directed elsewhere..but, I do respect him being a competitor on the court and gracious in defeat after the series. I don't always agree with the way he can turn into a selfish ballhog..or the way he will throw a teammate under the bus quickly when they lose... but I wanted to give the guy credit when it was deserved..
Old 05-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

I would like to send some positive rep to Kobe's wife, as it is alleged that she is the reason that Gasol's head was not right with ball for this series, and could very well be the "Trust" factor that Bynum spoke of.

But ya, as much as I hate Kobe...his words and his body language at the end of the game appeared to be that of a player who wanted nothing to do with the classlessness that his Lakers were showing on the court.

I have to respectfully support giving him props for actually showing some level of class.. which was quite surprising.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Don't agree with this, as the leader of this team, you're just as responsible for Bynum, and Odom, this is your team, your teammates, to disassociate your self from this is irresponsible. These are the majority of guys who helped you win 2 more rings and now it's like he's throwing them under the bus. They could not have won those 2 rings without a healthy Bynum. Kobe's the leader of this bunch.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Quote:
I really, really hate to say this.. But, I really gained a little bit of respect for Bryant. I know that it's setting the bar low, but at least he wasn't taking cheap shots late in games. I know that he caught some crap for believing that his team would still come back after game three, but isn't that exactly what you'd want Dirk to think if the situation was reversed?

Yeah, I'm not saying I have a ton of respect for this guy. I think he has a tendency to forget his teammates too often. I don't think he's the best leader either. But, I do appreciate that he stepped up and called out his teammates for their classless cheapshots.
I was saying this exact thing to a co-worker this morning.

He gave credit where credit was due and called out the classlessness instead of trying to defend it.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

You all should know that I have mad respect for Kobe's game and, likewise, gained even more respect for him as a person. Obviously he made a pretty poor decision several years back that will forever haunt his legacy, which, despite a woman trying to get rich and lying on him, wasn't much different from what Jordan did that came out AFTER Jordan's career (and was brushed under a few rugs). Both equally horrible - don't get me wrong - but still. Kobe is often times not even spoken of in the same breath as Jordan but just look at the stats, rings, records, etc.

Sure, he has an ego like most superstars do but the man can give props when a series is over. He is a winner so he doesn't show his cards until then typically but he is a good dude when the final whistle blows. I think he is a tremendous player - always have - despite being burned on here before for saying as much.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 05-09-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Kinda weird, but I was having pretty similar thoughts. Like you said, I guess that shows how low Odom and Bynum set the bar.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

I would have no problem whatsoever if the Mavs could try to find a way to get Kobe without sacrificing too much...
Old 05-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate Kobe's facial expressions and his overly arrogant attitude. I suppose you have to always think you can still get back in a series and it ain't over till it's over but the way he goes about it annoys the piss out of me. He can't get out of the way of his own ego and it's a character flaw . I have such little respect for him regardless of what he said after game 4 haha. Who cares? He would have gladly put his foot on our throats in the end and bragged about how it's what champions do etc. It's always about him and not until after it's over and there is nowhere else to go and nothing else to blame because he lost by 30..then he gives credit. In his eyes that is the only game we won and it was almost fluky that we did because we shot the 3 ball so well. F 'em. great player obviously but who cares. Respect for Kobe, imo while it definitely isn't neg rep worthy, it isn't thread worthy.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, I have more respect for Kobe than any other rapist on earth after this series.

His frankness was interesting.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that always pisses me off is the finger wagging. Really?
Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

To be clear, I actually wouldn't like or respect Kobe one bit if I thought he actually raped anyone. But I don't think he did. That's up for debate, of course, but that's my take.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I no longer respect Murphy3.

JK. But, Kobe saying what any normal athlete would and should say does not increase my respect for him. He wasn't exactly lighting up the scoreboard in any of these games and when he gave credit for game 3 win to Barea and not Dirk seemed to me like he was avoiding respecting Dirk's accomplishments.

The only thing that really surprised me was that he did not attempt to blame his ankle injury. He's less of a punk than Bynum and Odom, but so is 99% of the NBA.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth View Post
I no longer respect Murphy3.

JK. But, Kobe saying what any normal athlete would and should say does not increase my respect for him. He wasn't exactly lighting up the scoreboard in any of these games and when he gave credit for game 3 win to Barea and not Dirk seemed to me like he was avoiding respecting Dirk's accomplishments.

The only thing that really surprised me was that he did not attempt to blame his ankle injury. He's less of a punk than Bynum and Odom, but so is 99% of the NBA.
Saying I have a little bit more respect for the guy. He's one of my least favorite athletes in the history of sport. I went from totally sports hating the guy to totally sports hating the guy a little less.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #17
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Saying I have a little bit more respect for the guy. He's one of my least favorite athletes in the history of sport. I went from totally sports hating the guy to totally sports hating the guy a little less.
When you put it that way, I can agree.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #18
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

How do you issue a negative rep, or a positive one?

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOutWest View Post
How do you issue a negative rep, or a positive one?
The little blue check-mark at the top-right of a post.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-09-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #20
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Read that Kobe and other Lakers went to check on JJ.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #21
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Based on his success and mindset, I'm not surprised if he can come off as a little prickly or arrogant (see his picture walking onto the AAC floor during shootaround for Game 3).

That being said, he'll still give credit where credit is due. During the season he always gave credit to the Mavericks and warned his team about them as a legitimate threat. He would praise Dirk, but he didn't want to go overboard with it.

He's out to destroy you every chance he can get. If you do go through him though, he'll give you the credit for beating him and the team.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #22
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Don't agree with this, as the leader of this team, you're just as responsible for Bynum, and Odom, this is your team, your teammates, to disassociate your self from this is irresponsible. These are the majority of guys who helped you win 2 more rings and now it's like he's throwing them under the bus. They could not have won those 2 rings without a healthy Bynum. Kobe's the leader of this bunch.
No offense, but I can't help but think that there's a lot of fail in your post.

Although it would have been the perfect day for it, Kobe is neither Odom's nor Bynum's mother. These two guys made the decision to go after Dirk and JJB on their own. Right after JJB went to the floor, Kobe looked like a guy who wasn't satisfied at all with Bynum's actions. Kobe reportedly apologized to JJB after the game and stated his discontent with what had happened in the postgame press conference.

While doing so, he was actually intelligent enough to never specifically mention Odom and Bynum by name. He simply distanced himself from these types of actions without directly going after his teammates. If he didn't distance himself, he would be associated with their actions. Why would he want to be? Why should he have to be? Or, to use one of your words: It would have been "irresponsible" of him NOT to distance himself from these cheap shots. Just because Bynum and Odom helped him win two rings doesn't mean that Kobe has to be okay with every decision these two guys make on the court. Just because Kobe is the leader of this bunch doesn't mean that their actions are inevitably his actions. In fact, sometimes a leader has to be critical of his teammates to achieve changes for the better.

I don't care enough about Kobe to really concern myself with him. He does seem to have a huge ego like other gifted people and/or Hollywood stars. His remarks during the series definitely came across as smug. He may not be a great teammate, certainly not one as great as Dirk (or Kidd etc.).

However, Kobe was clearly one of the classier Lakers yesterday and, after the series was finally over, somewhat left his ever-present competitive mindset (which is probably the reason for his coming across as smug) to applaud the Mavs long an hard for their victory. It would have been VERY easy for him to jump on the media bandwagon and say that the Lakers were defeated by the Lakers, that it was all Pau's fault, that the bench didn't bring anything to the table, that Artest was so stupid to get suspended. Instead, he chose to give the Mavs credit like a champion is supposed to do.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #23
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I've rocked the low-tops hooping quite a bit like Kobe does. So I found this incredibly hilarious.

EXCLUSIVE: Nike releases images of Kobe's NBA Finals shoe: http://bit.ly/kaVHR9
Old 05-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

dalger, +1