Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default Who is active and who sits against OK City or Memphis

Who do you think Dallas should put on the active 12 man roster against Oklahoma City and against Memphis? Here's my take:

Starters:

J. Kidd
D. Stevenson
S. Marion
Dirk
T. Chandler

Automatic reserves:

J. Barea
Peja
JET
B. Haywood

Not available:

Tough Juice

Not in consideration

D. Jones

On the bubble:

Mahinni
Cardinal
Beaubois
Brewer

Three out of four of these players suit up while one player sits. There may be game to game changes, but in general I think you need to keep both Mahinni and Cardinal active against Memphis's bigs in case of foul trouble. On the other hand, I think you need both Beaubois and Brewer available against Oklahoma City's Westbrook and Durant.

So, I'd sit either Beaubois or Brewer against Memphis and either Cardinal or Mahinni against Memphis.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

definitely don't sit cardinal, we need him to set screens on players that aren't looking when the game is over like he did to patty mills, hold people back on the bench when fights break out so nobody gets suspended, and hit big threes like the one he hit in game 4 against L.A. that essentially was the dagger
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
definitely don't sit cardinal, we need him to set screens on players that aren't looking when the game is over like he did to patty mills, hold people back on the bench when fights break out so nobody gets suspended, and hit big threes like the one he hit in game 4 against L.A. that essentially was the dagger
lol

all in all I would sit Booby or Mahimni
Old 05-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Def. not Brewer. Ian or Roddy. Considering Ian is needed if a center gets hurt/severe foul trouble, I'd say Roddy. Honestly, I don't see Roddy playing in these playoffs.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

I question why there should be in change from the 12 we have used so far? In my eyes it is foolish to change what has brought you to the dance.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
I question why there should be in change from the 12 we have used so far? In my eyes it is foolish to change what has brought you to the dance.
+1

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
Mavericks Rockets Fan

Mavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to allMavericks Rockets Fan is a name known to all

I say Dirk should be active.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks Rockets Fan View Post
+1
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Blackspider

Blackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks Rockets Fan View Post
I don't know. I saw him miss a few shots in the Lakers series.
Blackspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

I wish Mark Followeezy and Bob O was active to call this game....in conjunction with some local broadcasting
Old 05-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm taking a strong and educated guess that it will stay the same as it was in the Los Angeles series.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice donuts on db.com. This one I thought interesting because I don't know the other teams personnel that well.

http://mavericks.scout.com/2/1071836.html

Quote:
In fact, Coach Fain says that in either matchup -- Memphis or OKC -- Peja will be able to play big minutes and will be able to do so without being a defensive liability.

Against OKC he can defend the Thunder power forwards like Ibaka and Collison, neither of whom have explosive offensive games. The Peja/Marion forward combination also creates a mismatch for OKC to deal with, as one of the bigs either chases Peja around outside or has to run with Marion.

Against Memphis there aren't any scoring wings Peja has to worry about at all.

So yes, Peja is in the rotation mix for the Western Conference Finals rotation ... Which the coaching staff is gameplanning for as you read this.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 05-15-2011 at 01:50 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

But what is when Peja and Dirk are on the floor?
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
But what is when Peja and Dirk are on the floor?
A Kidd,Terry,Peja,Dirk,Chandler Lineup
Threes and alley oops all the way.
Lestat_1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I think that is only really applicable to the players who actually played minutes that counted. Not just those garbage minutes in game 4 when it was totally out of reach. Dallas needs to adjust to the team it is playing. They also need to consider how well those players are playing during the time of the long layoff between games. The need for length and height is not as great as it was against LA or would have been against the Griz. The Thunder unlike La or Memphis are a real threat from the perimiter so close out speed is important to the zone. I would sit Cardinal with out a doubt but that might not happen because RC obviously loves him irregardless to how he is playing. Next to him I would sit Stevenson because he has sucked of late both on O and D.

Dallas's strengh is it's depth and bench so the production off of it is important in every series they play. Terry is the Key because he is so streaky. He has played really at top level so far but he could just as well get cold as ice at the drop of the ball. Thats why I would go guard heavy in this series especially to match up with Westbrook. Who to use won't be evident until the series starts so I wouldn't close any options in that regard.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #16
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I totally agree on that point. But tbh you should consider activating Roddy over Cardinal or Mahinmi in the series against the Thunder. It's not like these two have been a factor in any series so far. I can't see how that would affect chemistry or sth. like that. It made total sense to activate all the bigs you have against the Lakers. In my eyes Dirk being in foul trouble was a threat because he had to guard either Pau or Odom on stretches. But he hasn't been all postseason and the Thunder won't be able to put the same kind of pressure on him on the defensive end. Substract Durant and their front line isn't really special. They got more size in the Perkins trade but they are not a big team. I think neither Dirk nor our Centers will have key defensive assignments through the whole series and therefore should be able to stay out of foul trouble the whole way.
They play combinations of Perkins, Collison, Ibaka and Mohammed up front. I can't see a single matchup going their way at the 4 or 5 on either end. They are at the bottom of the league in scoring and scoring allowed from the PF and C spot. Plus they give up the (second/third) most free throws at those positions. Just feed Haywood and Tyson and look whether they'll be able to get them in foul trouble and/or hit their freebies. It gets even more important because the Thunder are a good team chasing shooters off the 3-point line. Their bench only allows 29% from beyond the arc. So a change of style might be imminent anayway.
Marion also had big big games against the Thunder (19.00 ppg). Meanwhile Ibaka averaged 4.33 fouls per game against the Mavericks this season. In a perfect world Durant would be forced to guard Dirk at some point.

What brings me to the backcourt. I have major issues with Stevenson guarding Westbrook in the starting lineup. They run a whole lot of P&Rs for Westbrook, Harden and Maynor and our best backcourt defender in that regard is Jason Kidd. But you certainly don't wanna see him chasing those guys through screens all the time. So there might come a time when we want to match their athleticism and speed with those kind of players of our own.

If Westbrook, Harden and Durant are on the floor togeher, a backcourt of Kidd and Terry could be tricky. It'll be inevitable to close out games, but not earlier. I think we might want to avoid this until crunch time.

And keep in mind that our starting unit has got little to do with the success we've had so far. So a change there doesn't mean touching a running system ... Stevenson has the worst PM (and aPM) numbers of the whole team in the playoffs. With him on the floor the Mavs have been outscored by 30 in the playoffs and he is the only player with a negative Efficiency Differential for the Mavs. That's pretty sick. Our offense is flat out terrible with him and the defense doesn't suffer too much without him either (from 102.95 to 104.07).

Last edited by j0Shi; 05-16-2011 at 08:50 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone (including the players on the floor) actually trust roddy right now. He so spit the bit in his debut. They cannot stand a bunch of mistakes out there.

I do understand the cardinal or mahinmi call. However i think mahinmi is to be there just in case hack-a-wood happens.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #18
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh ... nobody wants trust issued

Anyway. Stevenson has played twice as poorly in the playoffs as Roddy in the regular season offensively. This isn't a case for starting Roddy again. Just a comparison how mightily the team has struggled with him on the floor. There may be a point in the series where Carlisle has to pull him out, trust or not, and I am really interested if he will have the courage to use the versatility this team has.

Last edited by j0Shi; 05-16-2011 at 12:23 PM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I just heard on The Fan that the Mavs don't think Dirk matches up all that well on the defensive end against OKC and that he's likely not active for game 1.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #20
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
I totally agree on that point. But tbh you should consider activating Roddy over Cardinal or Mahinmi in the series against the Thunder. It's not like these two have been a factor in any series so far. I can't see how that would affect chemistry or sth. like that. It made total sense to activate all the bigs you have against the Lakers. In my eyes Dirk being in foul trouble was a threat because he had to guard either Pau or Odom on stretches. But he hasn't been all postseason and the Thunder won't be able to put the same kind of pressure on him on the defensive end. Substract Durant and their front line isn't really special. They got more size in the Perkins trade but they are not a big team. I think neither Dirk nor our Centers will have key defensive assignments through the whole series and therefore should be able to stay out of foul trouble the whole way.
They play combinations of Perkins, Collison, Ibaka and Mohammed up front. I can't see a single matchup going their way at the 4 or 5 on either end. They are at the bottom of the league in scoring and scoring allowed from the PF and C spot. Plus they give up the (second/third) most free throws at those positions. Just feed Haywood and Tyson and look whether they'll be able to get them in foul trouble and/or hit their freebies. It gets even more important because the Thunder are a good team chasing shooters off the 3-point line. Their bench only allows 29% from beyond the arc. So a change of style might be imminent anayway.
Marion also had big big games against the Thunder (19.00 ppg). Meanwhile Ibaka averaged 4.33 fouls per game against the Mavericks this season. In a perfect world Durant would be forced to guard Dirk at some point.

What brings me to the backcourt. I have major issues with Stevenson guarding Westbrook in the starting lineup. They run a whole lot of P&Rs for Westbrook, Harden and Maynor and our best backcourt defender in that regard is Jason Kidd. But you certainly don't wanna see him chasing those guys through screens all the time. So there might come a time when we want to match their athleticism and speed with those kind of players of our own.

If Westbrook, Harden and Durant are on the floor togeher, a backcourt of Kidd and Terry could be tricky. It'll be inevitable to close out games, but not earlier. I think we might want to avoid this until crunch time.

And keep in mind that our starting unit has got little to do with the success we've had so far. So a change there doesn't mean touching a running system ... Stevenson has the worst PM (and aPM) numbers of the whole team in the playoffs. With him on the floor the Mavs have been outscored by 30 in the playoffs and he is the only player with a negative Efficiency Differential for the Mavs. That's pretty sick. Our offense is flat out terrible with him and the defense doesn't suffer too much without him either (from 102.95 to 104.07).
You can't just assume someone won't be in foul trouble cause of matchups weird things like that can happen, Tyson, Dirk, and B Wood can get into foul trouble against all 29 teams in the league. You have to have your bigs ready just incase
Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #21
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post

You can't just assume someone won't be in foul trouble cause of matchups weird things like that can happen, Tyson, Dirk, and B Wood can get into foul trouble against all 29 teams in the league. You have to have your bigs ready just incase
Old 05-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #22
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

So the only time Ian, Boobs and Cardinal sees game action is if we're up 20 with 1 minute to go.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #23
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I just heard on The Fan that the Mavs don't think Dirk matches up all that well on the defensive end against OKC and that he's likely not active for game 1.
Bummer!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote