Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #41
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Game 6 in Miami, Dirk throws in the lefty layup, his momentum carries him under the basket, and as he walks back toward the basket, he slowly raises his arm. I watched him the entire way. That was the moment. That was when it hit me. So nothing could ever beat that for me.

But Game 2 is a close, close second. It was just such relief. The Mavs were about to go down 2-0. The series was basically over. Dirk looked like a zombie. All of the momentum and legacy he had built up was gone. It was 2006 all over again as far as Dirk was concerned. He was somehow going to further tarnish his legacy.

And then it all changed. Everything changed. My eyes got a little misty at the end of that game. I mean, I still had very little confidence that we were going to win the series, but we had fought. We had taken our stand. Dirk and let everyone know that this was not going to be 2006. It was awesome.

Man, I swear I could write 1,000 words about all of the other moments. I've had very little opportunity to think about all this today, so it's all flooding back to me now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #42
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Man it's so hard.

Game 5 against OKC when Dirk nailed the second chance three at 1:14 remaining to put Dallas up for good.

Game 2 against MIA. The last few possessions. Dirk drains a three to complete the impossible comeback and put us up by three. Chalmers answers right back with a three to tie. Then Dirk with the layup to win the game.

Game 4 against LAL. Pretty much Jet's entire performance.
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #43
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

The last 3/4 minutes of Game 3 vs the Lakers. Both teams were making plays down the stretch, but the Mavs made the last one.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #44
buddha08

buddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of light

The NBA.com mini-movie of game 4 against Heat gives me chills every time I watch it. Dirk sickly looking, holding the ball at the end of the game as he lets the shot clock wind down, feels it's the moment and puts the ball on the floor many seconds earlier than anyone expected, drives past Haslem, lay-up, game sealed.

Jet's game 4 against the Lakers.

Dirk backing down Bosh, faking, spinning, going up and left past Haslem too for the lay up at the end of Game 2.

Last edited by buddha08; 06-13-2011 at 10:01 PM.
buddha08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #45
blessednegr0

blessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to allblessednegr0 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Dirk's Rainbow 3 in Game 5.
This was one of my most memorable as well. I mean this was literally the prettiest shot I have ever seen. Never have I seen a ball so close to missing rim and net.

I also love the three pointer he had in Game 2 to seal the deal before JET blew the assignment. That whole designed play was amazing.
blessednegr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #46
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk's left layup in Game 2 was the most memorable game moment for me.

I had a surreal moment before game 4 that will stick with me forever. I was watching the pregame show and one of the ABC announcers (I forget who) said they were talking to Tyson Chandler and he promised that the Heat would not get to the basket without paying a price (or something to that effect). This was followed with the news that JJB was going to start. They quoted DSteve as saying if this was any other team he played on he might be mad, but the Mavs are his family and he would take the new assignment without any negative feelings. At that moment the uniqueness of this Mavs team hit me and i felt a calm confidence. I was absolutely certain they were going to win three games in a row and be the champions. Kinda weird.

Last edited by purplefrog; 06-13-2011 at 11:05 PM.
purplefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #47
joebobbill

joebobbill will become famous soon enoughjoebobbill will become famous soon enough

So many great plays... All the game winning layups and in your face last second 3s.

But, what I want to remember was the first sign that we were really on a roll. That was in the first game against Portland. In the first half, I had been sitting back saying, we have an old team, I don't know if Dirk can get back the mojo layups that took us to Miami in 2006. This is looking like 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. Meanwhile, the Mavs have let a 10 point lead slip into a 3 point deficit with only a few minutes left in the 4th quarter.

With 2:36 left, down by a point, Dirk takes a pass from Kidd near the top of the key. Dirk backs 6'2" Andre Miller down to the free throw line. I've seen it a thousand times. As expected, 2 additional Trailblazers collapse on Dirk, hoping to take away his one foot fall away jumper. Instead, he lowers his shoulder, splits the defenders and takes a big hop into the middle of the key. He is wide open and throws up a little floater that hits the backboard and drops into the basket, plus one after he sinks his free throw.

I shook my head and said 'Where did that come from! This is going to be good!' Dirk was just smiling and laughing.

The mojo was back.
joebobbill is offline   Reply With Quote