Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #841
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Sam Amick reporting that Houston told Josh Smith today that they want to pair him with D12. If Houston can get the Smith SNT done before D12 makes his decision, I'd imagine that would make his choice pretty easy.
I've been thinking that I really hope Dallas has been talking to Josh/Atl about a S&T as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #842
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
How many free agents have we missed out on while chasing Howard?
Yep... Earlyin the game still for this off season... Just not a lot of confidence in the mavs brain trust at the moment

Last edited by Murphy3; 07-02-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #843
vcmavs25

vcmavs25 has a spectacular aura aboutvcmavs25 has a spectacular aura aboutvcmavs25 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Sam Amick reporting that Houston told Josh Smith today that they want to pair him with D12. If Houston can get the Smith SNT done before D12 makes his decision, I'd imagine that would make his choice pretty easy.
Deron Williams all over again
vcmavs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #844
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see Josh Smith here. I don't see how it works, though. Then again Wade/LeBron/Bosh didn't work either but they wanted to play together.

If Josh Smith would take 12.5 mill per year (we could hypothetically SnT him with a third team for between 12.5 and 15.6 by combining Marion and Carter even with teams over the cap), and Howard was willing to come in for 17.95, then it would work.

Then again we'd have

Dwight/James
Dirk
Smith/Crowder
Ledo
Larkin/Mekel

That's two guys potentially taking pay cuts, potentially giving away first-rounders for teams to facilitate the SnT and take salary, and four positions to fill with minimum salaries. It also means potentially going forward with an entire back court of guys with a combined 0 years of experience in the NBA.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #845
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I've been thinking that I really hope Dallas has been talking to Josh/Atl about a S&T as well.
Yea, but is Howard worth bringing in a guy who you have to shoehorn in the game around Dirk?

If Dwight leaving LA hinges on Smith, let them go to Houston. I don't think I agree with Sike about Smith and Howard not mixing well. I think it's all about having the perimeter shooters around them. If they have the floor spacers, they would be fine. Also, their front court defense and rim protection would be pretty damn good.

Asik probably don't fit in Atl with Horford, so maybe they could get in on a 3 way deal IF all that were to go down?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #846
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that it doesn't sound like Houston is necessarily able to get that deal done (in principle) before Dwight decides. I doubt a mere "Hey Dwight, we're gonna try to get Josh...after you sign" is gonna mean much to him.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 07-02-2013 at 11:38 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #847
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thing about J. Smith is that he's a tremendously versatile player. Guy can defend the 3,4 or 5 and play any of those positions and he blocks shots as well as anyone in the league (his 7.4 block rating is basically as good as Howard's 7.5). He absolutely shuts down SFs and that is his most productive position.

On the other hand, we'd be potentially walking into the season with the best frontcourt in the NBA but the most untested and potentially worst backcourt in the league full of rookies and over-the-hill guys on vet min contracts.

I'm kinda split. That would be a monsterous frontcourt for rebounding, shotblocking and defense. With Dirk, the team would be offensively versatile enough to score if Dirk is healthy and we can find a guard to create some offense or shoot. On the other hand, you have two guys that are offensively limited and an extremely shaky back court that could cause our offense to stagnate.

I personally think it would work with aggressive, young PGs that could make us a run-n-gun team. We'd certainly gobble up enough rebounds to create a lot of fast break opportunities. In the half-court we'd be completely dependent on Dirk isos and Dirk-guard pick-and-rolls with enough off-the-ball work from Smith/Howard to keep opposing defenses from just swarming Dirk.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #848
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Keep in mind that it doesn't sound like Houston is necessarily able to get that deal done (in principle) before Dwight decides. I doubt a mere "Hey Dwight, we're gonna try to get Josh...after you sign" is gonna mean much to him.
I'll keep in mind nothin!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #849
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we should jump the gun before anything serious like Smith going to Houston actually happens. Smith has a ton of suitors.

But if Howard did go to Houston, then does it really mean that we're just banking on 2014 free agency the same way we banked on the these two free agencies for stars? I hope that is not the case. Still plenty of good free agents available, but they are beginning to vanish.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #850
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Also, when the Nets swayed Deron with the JJ trade, they had already agreed on the trade the day before they even met with Deron. So they were able to pitch it to him in the meeting. This thing with Houston and Josh Smith is far more tenuous at this stage.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #851
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I don't think we should jump the gun before anything serious like Smith going to Houston actually happens. Smith has a ton of suitors.

But if Howard did go to Houston, then does it really mean that we're just banking on 2014 free agency the same way we banked on the these two free agencies for stars? I hope that is not the case. Still plenty of good free agents available, but they are beginning to vanish.
If the Mavs miss out on Dwight then I hope the last thing they do is use that money on guys like Jennings and Josh Smith. I'd rather waste another year of Dirk's prime than give him guys like that around him prevent us for having salary cap for the next 4 years......
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #852
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

Keep some faith. Just as our day came for a championship came and in glorious fashion, our day for great player additions will come...again.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #853
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Yea, but is Howard worth bringing in a guy who you have to shoehorn in the game around Dirk?
Yes. IMO, absolutely, 100%, Yes.

Quote:
If Dwight leaving LA hinges on Smith, let them go to Houston. I don't think I agree with Sike about Smith and Howard not mixing well. I think it's all about having the perimeter shooters around them. If they have the floor spacers, they would be fine. Also, their front court defense and rim protection would be pretty damn good.
Guarantee you if those two guys make it to Dallas, Morrow re-signs. They'd also be starting and finishing games next to this tall German guy who's been known to fill it up from outside. Not suggesting filling out the depth with quality players would be easy, or necessarily even possible this year, but Dallas would probably at least be able to put out some well-balanced lineups in critical game situations. And whatever the challenges, a Smith/Dirk/Howard front line would make dealing with them worthwhile. Please don't confuse this for optimism that this will get done. I just hope the Mavs are exploring the possibility.

Quote:
Asik probably don't fit in Atl with Horford, so maybe they could get in on a 3 way deal IF all that were to go down?
Asik would be a pretty respectable consolation prize.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 07-02-2013 at 11:55 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #854
DisraeliGears

DisraeliGears has a spectacular aura aboutDisraeliGears has a spectacular aura aboutDisraeliGears has a spectacular aura about

If we can't land Dwight, then I'd do everything in our power to pry Rondo from Boston. Boston wants to win the lotto and has to be willing to sell. The right combo of young players, S&Ts, and expiring contacts has got to be able to secure Rondo.
DisraeliGears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #855
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
From what I'm told by someone privy to Dwight Howard's plans, a Friday decision will be announced without a question from Jim Gray
Friday it is.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #856
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Friday it is.
It's a joke. He's mocking LeBron and The Decision.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #857
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Keep some faith. Just as our day came for a championship came and in glorious fashion, our day for great player additions will come...again.
When have we ever added a "great player" though?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #858
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
It's a joke. He's mocking LeBron and The Decision.
Had me going there with adding Jim Gray.

https://twitter.com/PeterVecsey1
Old 07-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #859
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
When have we ever added a "great player" though?
Same whiny $)(/# I've heard from Mavs fan for years. No one gives a rats ass that only 2-3 teams out of thirty ever get a "great player" through free agency in any given decade. Miami is a total statistical anomaly. Teams like the Nets re-signing Deron are the norm.

Whining that an expansion team that has only been around for a couple decades, has only been competitive for a decade, and has only been among championship teams for a couple of years, is like complaining that you haven't won the lottery after buying a ticket a week for 10 weeks.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-03-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #860
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

I can see some stupid moves like overpaying average players in FA coming when Cuban realizes that he failed on Howard and CP3 again after failing on Deron last year.

I just dont see anyway the Mavs can land Dwight. After all i heard yesterday the Lakers presentation was pretty impressive.

I say Dwights Options are

1.) Lakers
2.) Houston
3.) Dallas
4.) Hawks

I just dont see anyway Dwight would like to come here. What are the positive things in Dallas? Dirk at 36 next year? No good players on the roster right now? Ok he will become the franchise players but he will also become the franchise player in LA (after Kobe retires or is still hurt) and in Houston (with Harden as sidekick).

If the Mavs fail on landing Howard im really all in for tanking and trying to get Parker or Wiggins in the Lottery.

Just dont wanna see another desperate try to make the playoffs just for the sake of it.
Sick of 1 year contracts and average players like Majo or Collison.

If we fail big in the FA then try and get some talent and try to make good players out of guys like Larkin etc.

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #861
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Whining that an expansion team that has only been around for a couple decades, has only been competitive for a decade, and has only been among championship teams for a couple of years, is like complaining that you haven't won the lottery after buying a ticket a week for 10 weeks.
I feel as though there must be something missing from this sentence...it doesn't parse, syntactically or logically.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #862
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStandard View Post
I can see some stupid moves like overpaying average players in FA coming when Cuban realizes that he failed on Howard and CP3 again after failing on Deron last year.

I just dont see anyway the Mavs can land Dwight. After all i heard yesterday the Lakers presentation was pretty impressive.

I say Dwights Options are

1.) Lakers
2.) Houston
3.) Dallas
4.) Hawks

I just dont see anyway Dwight would like to come here. What are the positive things in Dallas? Dirk at 36 next year? No good players on the roster right now? Ok he will become the franchise players but he will also become the franchise player in LA (after Kobe retires or is still hurt) and in Houston (with Harden as sidekick).

If the Mavs fail on landing Howard im really all in for tanking and trying to get Parker or Wiggins in the Lottery.

Just dont wanna see another desperate try to make the playoffs just for the sake of it.
Sick of 1 year contracts and average players like Majo or Collison.

If we fail big in the FA then try and get some talent and try to make good players out of guys like Larkin etc.

Dirk is 35. Plus Duncan was still able to help his team to the finals this year being closer to 40. Kevin Mchale and Mike D'Antoni are pretty much exact replicas in coaching systems IMO. Also, Dwight would be gambling on Kobe's torn achilles. Dwight would be the centerpiece here in Dallas. Especially if we have extra space next year to add someone. But if someone like Iggy agrees to team up with Dirk and Dwight. That's where it's at.

Last edited by yahyes; 07-03-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #863
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Dirk is 35. Plus Duncan was still able to help his team to the finals this year being closer to 40. Kevin Mchale and Mike D'Antoni are pretty much exact replicas in coaching systems IMO. Also, Dwight would be gambling on Kobe's torn achilles. Dwight would be the centerpiece here in Dallas. Especially if we have extra space next year to add someone. But if someone like Iggy agrees to team up with Dirk and Dwight. That's where it's at.

can u read? I wrote Dirk @ 36 next year (means at the end of the season / Possible Finals etc.).

Yeah but after Kobe or with a hurt Kobe Dwight would be the Centerpiece in LA and could get more money and a 5th year. So Centerpiece in Dallas is more attractive than in LA?

Why didnt u mention the Rockets? Just because of McHale?
Teaming up with great young guys and a Top 10 Player (maybe even Top 5 next season) with Harden against a not even signed with Dallas Iggy?

Keep on dreaming until Friday if LA Diva makes his decision. Someone has to be positive here right?!

Baller from the G'
Old 07-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #864
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
can u read? I wrote Dirk @ 36 next year (means at the end of the season / Possible Finals etc.).

Yeah but after Kobe or with a hurt Kobe Dwight would be the Centerpiece in LA and could get more money and a 5th year. So Centerpiece in Dallas is more attractive than in LA?

Why didnt u mention the Rockets? Just because of McHale?
Teaming up with great young guys and a Top 10 Player (maybe even Top 5 next season) with Harden against a not even signed with Dallas Iggy?

Keep on dreaming until Friday if LA Diva makes his decision. Someone has to be positive here right?!

Dirk's jump shot could still be good at 36 though. Am I right, slugger?

Last edited by yahyes; 07-03-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #865
GermanStandard

It should but he obviously wont post stats like 5-6 years ago.
He also gets slower and even worser in Defense.

I love Dirk he's my idol but i can understand Howard if he rather plays with a young core and an Allstar Top 10 guy like Harden or be the Main Guy in Hollywood than with an aging Dirk. Just saying.

I like your positive attitude but i just dont see it coming.

Baller from the G'
Old 07-03-2013, 03:38 AM   #866
yahyes
Banned

i know, bud. But who knows. Dirk has an couple years left IMO. Especially on the offensive board if Dwight was alongside him. Then we can look at John Wall or Lebron next year perhaps. I'd prefer we find a way to get Iggy teaming up with Dirk and Dwight.

Last edited by yahyes; 07-03-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #867
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Just a thought: Dirk is expected to accept less money for the second time in a row next year. How about Dwight accepts 2 mill less than the max. to allow the Mavs to acquire a third star player? Too much to ask, right? Gotta earn the whole 20.8 mill or whatever it is right?

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #868
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
Just a thought: Dirk is expected to accept less money for the second time in a row next year. How about Dwight accepts 2 mill less than the max. to allow the Mavs to acquire a third star player? Too much to ask, right? Gotta earn the whole 20.8 mill or whatever it is right?
Iggy
Old 07-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #869
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
How many free agents have we missed out on while chasing Howard?
It is irrelevant since now that Paul re-signed with the Clippers, Howard is the only FA on the market that can make us legit contenders. I fully expect them to field another rental team if we strike out, and with Dirk having only 1 year left on his contract, it would make even more sense than it did last summer.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:23 AM   #870
GermanStandard

Dirk will be pissed if that happens.

Dont think he is willed to waste another year for nothing.

Baller from the G'
Old 07-03-2013, 04:36 AM   #871
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Iggy
There are rumors the Kings will offer Iggy a max contract. If that's true, he's gone. I like Iggy, but he isn't worth a max IMO.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #872
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Dirk will be pissed if that happens.

Dont think he is willed to waste another year for nothing.
Dirk is 35, and he understands perfectly he needs another star player to have a chance at a championship at this point. If you can't have that player, what would be the point to sign Iggy for example, to a 4 year contract and kill your cap again, for nothing? We could have 50 million next summer in cap space, and then, build a roster for 3-4 years, with Dirk signing for the lowest amount he's willing to.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #873
backb0ard

backb0ard is on a distinguished road

The Lakers and Heat will have TONS of cap space next year, each team has enough to sign two or three superstars. Paul George and John Wall will be restricted free agents, those two aren't going anywhere. After that, it's Bogut and scraps. I think there is no way the Mavs can sign a star next year unless they make a very good run using a good roster in next years playoffs, and then have Dirk pass the torch to someone else as a pitch. I hope I'm wrong but, it's now or bust for the Mavericks.
backb0ard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #874
DTownKidd

DTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
2 mill less than the max?? Sorry but he is going I take wayyyy less. If Dirk hit FA next year no one would give him that much. I say give him 5 mill/yr.
DTownKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #875
DTownKidd

DTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by backb0ard View Post
The Lakers and Heat will have TONS of cap space next year, each team has enough to sign two or three superstars. Paul George and John Wall will be restricted free agents, those two aren't going anywhere. After that, it's Bogut and scraps. I think there is no way the Mavs can sign a star next year unless they make a very good run using a good roster in next years playoffs, and then have Dirk pass the torch to someone else as a pitch. I hope I'm wrong but, it's now or bust for the Mavericks.
The heat will have zero cap space. Why would LBJ wade or Bosh opt out? The amount of those three is the entire salary cap!
DTownKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #876
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
It is irrelevant since now that Paul re-signed with the Clippers, Howard is the only FA on the market that can make us legit contenders. I fully expect them to field another rental team if we strike out, and with Dirk having only 1 year left on his contract, it would make even more sense than it did last summer.
Have you not paid attention to cuban's comments?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #877
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Have you not paid attention to cuban's comments?
Maybe i've missed something, what comment are referring to?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #878
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Maybe i've missed something, what comment are referring to?
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/...approach.html/
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #879
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Yeah, i've missed that interview, and although, he indeed said he can't see themselves giving out only 1 year contracts anymore, he also said: “We’re not going to make a financial commitment just to say we made a financial commitment and say that we did. If there’s nobody there to sign that helps us, we won’t sign anybody and we’ll tell everybody exactly why we did what we did and deal with the consequences."

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I am for one hoping we won't do anything crazy (Josh Smith, Igoudala) if Howard doesn't sign with us.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #880
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Setting up for another horrendous offseason
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote