Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
GhostOfAdamMorrison
Banned

GhostOfAdamMorrison will become famous soon enoughGhostOfAdamMorrison will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I'd love to discuss, but not with someone who is condescending like that.

I said "almost" and also edited to reflect that Giannis is performing better (although PER is terrible to compare forwards and guards, because PER over-emphasizes rebounding)

I was also talking about who was available between 13 and 18. I wasn't talking about how we drafted, but in the impact of trading down. I'd love to also have a discussion about how well we draft again, but also not with someone whose answer to everything is to say that it's not worth talking to people that aren't as smart as you.

1. PER doesn't over-emphasize rebounding. I don't know where you came up with that idea. CP3 is third in the NBA in PER. Isaiah Thomas is 13th. Moreover, Giannis is only averaging 3.9 RPG.

2. Larkin obviously isn't as talented as Giannis. That's clear to anyone who has watched them both play. You'd be hard pressed to find a single GM who thinks Larkin has a higher ceiling than Giannis (or Schroeder, for that matter).

The fact is, you tend to overrate Mavs players once they put on a Mavs jersey. You, with a straight face, said Monta Ellis could average a double-double during pre-season.

Ager, DoJo, Cunnigham, Crowder, James, Larkin...the Mavs drafting has undeniably been very poor. Larkin is a small PG with a short wingspan and he isn't a great passer. He'll never be more than a 3rd PG on a good team.
GhostOfAdamMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAdamMorrison View Post
1. PER doesn't over-emphasize rebounding. I don't know where you came up with that idea. CP3 is third in the NBA in PER. Isaiah Thomas is 13th. Moreover, Giannis is only averaging 3.9 RPG.
Three things:
1.) Dirk currently ranks behind Lamar Aldridge in PER almost solely on account of the difference in their rebounding numbers, so I'm a little surprised to see you take that position.

2.) it could easily be claimed that CP and Thomas are still under-rated by PER in spite of their high rankings.

3.) PER isn't a per-game stat (as I'm sure you know), and in fact Giannis rebounding percentage is almost as high as Marion's, so that aspect of his production is definitely influencing his rating.

That aside, it's simply too early to pass judgement on the Larkin pick, or determine what Dallas gave up (outside of ceiling and potential) by trading down from 13. I doubt you'd find a single GM who would claim otherwise this early in the game.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 12-16-2013 at 10:21 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAdamMorrison View Post
The fact is, you tend to overrate Mavs players once they put on a Mavs jersey.
Oh really?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
larkin oden #2, murphygettintittiesready, reality check time, uh-oh