Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

View Poll Results: Who is the best power forward today? (I've excluded Dirk to avoid bias)
Kevin Love 2 22.22%
Blake Griffin 2 22.22%
LaMarcus Aldridge 4 44.44%
Others 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2014, 03:47 AM   #1
dongtouch

dongtouch is a jewel in the roughdongtouch is a jewel in the roughdongtouch is a jewel in the roughdongtouch is a jewel in the rough
Default Best Power Forward

I think most would agree that it's the end to an era that saw three names dominate the league as the best power forwards in the NBA - Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, and Dirk Nowitzki since the year 2000.
While Dirk is still one of the best power forwards and Duncan is still holding his own, there is now a glut of young power forwards who are making a case as the best "4", most of whom are averaging 20-10.
To name a few, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, LaMarcus Aldridge, Anthony Davis, David Lee, and Chris Bosh. I excluded DeMarcus Cousins who plays center and Lebron or Carmelo who are natural small forwards.

Most would put Love, Griffin, and Aldridge as the top 3. Personally, I'd go with Aldridge, because he plays on a contender, is (clearly) the best player on that team, and plays (reasonably) well on both ends.
The case against Love is that he plays on a losing team. He puts up incredible numbers in points, rebounds, assists, and 3pt made, but he has never played in the playoffs. I've seen many games where he would not defend a jump shot just so he can turn around and box out for a rebound to pad his stats. On offense he shoots a bit too much from the outside (I don't consider him a pure shooter like Dirk) so his overall shooting percentage is low for a front court player. I've heard arguments that Love can be a very good third option on a championship team but cannot be a first or even a second option. Similar statements have been said about Dirk (that maybe he should be a second fiddle to a alpha-male type player) so we'll see if that changes for Love.
Griffin is improving and has at times dominated the game, but he's not even the best player on his own team. He is a bit of a show boat and flops too much for a physical player. He has yet to develop a mid range game or other ways to score aside from dunking or using his athleticism to score inside. Defensively he also does not have the awareness to be considered a good on ball defender or help defender.

As a Dirk fan, if he had to give up the best pf title, I'd rather it go to Aldridge.
dongtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Of the three options, I went with Blake. A month or so ago, if you would have asked who the best is, I would have said Love, followed by LMA, then Blake, then Dirk. But today, I would go Dirk, Blake, LMA, Love.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

No love for Steve Novak?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Til any of them do something worth a damn in the playoffs, they are not getting a vote from me for best PF in the league.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote