Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #41
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...ick-around.ece
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #42
HopeIsAlwaysThere
Golden Member

HopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of lightHopeIsAlwaysThere is a glorious beacon of light

Harris loves to play in Dallas, however, he won't take that less.
HopeIsAlwaysThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #43
ffballer

ffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to beholdffballer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
vince MUST stay hands down, now marion trade him asap while we can get something from him, on the other hand bye bye either sammy or dj blair
ffballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #44
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

I've been thinking, and what if we did this for our offseason...

-Resign Dirk for 3yr/30mill
-Resign Carter for 2yr/6mill
-Resign Harris for 3yr/9mill

-Don't resign Marion/Blair/James

-Sign Luol Deng for 3yr/30mill
-Sign Jordan Hill for 2yr/14mill

Depth chart:
PG - Calderon / Harris
SG - Ellis / Carter
SF - Deng / Crowder
PF - Dirk / Wright
C - Hill / Dalembert

This is the most realistic scenario that I could come up with, because we aren't getting Lebron/Carmelo/Wade/Bosh.

How good would this team be?
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #45
CanadianMavsFan

CanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post

Depth chart:
PG - Calderon / Harris
SG - Ellis / Carter
SF - Deng / Crowder
PF - Dirk / Wright
C - Hill / Dalembert

This is the most realistic scenario that I could come up with, because we aren't getting Lebron/Carmelo/Wade/Bosh.

Marginally better than this year's team. Dalembert might still be a better starting C than Hill and Deng would help our perimeter defense but not enough to make up for Ellis and Calderon's shortcomings. I am of the opinion that Ellis will have to be a sixth man in order for this squad to be successful and a legit all-defender needs to be starting at the two guard (along with an elite rim protector).

Only guys available (through free agency and on the trading block) are Lance Stephenson and maybe Asik (I don't know if he can be had especially from a bitter vial). Add those two and some spare parts and I think this team could easily be on par with the top tier in the West.

My dream scenario:

Trade Calderon + Wright for Asik (I know it's a tall asking price but for a chance to win it all next year I think you roll the dice)

Sign Stevenson and/or Deng depending on the asking price and how big the hole will be at either SG or SF with either signed. I think the Cavs could offer Deng the near max judging by how retarded their front office is, so I don't believe he'll be available. I'll take an Ariza type player on a better contract who can also defend.

Best case scenario:

PG - Harris/(Veteran Signing)/Larkin
SG - Stevenson/Ellis/(Three Point Shooter, Morrow?)
SF - Ariza/Carter/(Three Point Shooter, Miller, Garcia, etc.)
PF - Dirk Nowitzki/Ed Davis (if he can be had)/(Rookie)
C - Asik/Dalembert/(Rookie)
CanadianMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #46
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMavsFan View Post
Marginally better than this year's team. Dalembert might still be a better starting C than Hill and Deng would help our perimeter defense but not enough to make up for Ellis and Calderon's shortcomings. I am of the opinion that Ellis will have to be a sixth man in order for this squad to be successful and a legit all-defender needs to be starting at the two guard (along with an elite rim protector).

Only guys available (through free agency and on the trading block) are Lance Stephenson and maybe Asik (I don't know if he can be had especially from a bitter vial). Add those two and some spare parts and I think this team could easily be on par with the top tier in the West.

My dream scenario:

Trade Calderon + Wright for Asik (I know it's a tall asking price but for a chance to win it all next year I think you roll the dice)

Sign Stevenson and/or Deng depending on the asking price and how big the hole will be at either SG or SF with either signed. I think the Cavs could offer Deng the near max judging by how retarded their front office is, so I don't believe he'll be available. I'll take an Ariza type player on a better contract who can also defend.

Best case scenario:

PG - Harris/(Veteran Signing)/Larkin
SG - Stevenson/Ellis/(Three Point Shooter, Morrow?)
SF - Ariza/Carter/(Three Point Shooter, Miller, Garcia, etc.)
PF - Dirk Nowitzki/Ed Davis (if he can be had)/(Rookie)
C - Asik/Dalembert/(Rookie)
I love Stephenson, but he ain't leaving Indiana. I don't know what they can offer him, but I'd say there's a 90% chance he's with the Pacers again next season. He seems very happy there (why wouldn't he be?) and those guys are like a family. And come on dude, Ellis is a starting shooting guard in this league, and a damn good one. And I'm actually down for trading Calderon for a big man, I was saying we should do that at the deadline. But without Jose, we'd definitely need to then pick up a 3 point shooter to replace his production. And I'm also a fan of Ed Davis, wouldn't mind bringing him in. Then with Jordan Hill, I think he's definitely a better option than Dalembert. He averages like 8pts & 8rebs in less than 20 minutes. If we play him 28-30mpg he'll average a double-double, plus he's obviously younger than Sam.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:10 PM   #47
Floppy

Floppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of light

First everything I have read is that the salary cap will go up to $62 Million .Even the link below suggests $62.9 Million

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/20...ntic-division/

I will go with $62 Million . And I also assume the possibility the Mavs miss the Playoffs and end up with the 14th + 34th + 44th picks .

I would then try to package Mekel + #34 + #44 + $3 Million cash for a late 1st rd pick 23-26

#14 Pick Cap Hold is $1.6 Million --Draft PF Adreian Payne
#23 Pick Cap hold is $1 Million --Draft C Will Cauley Stein

The Mavs biggest needs are a Starting SF and Starting Center . With signing a Starting Center this now means 1 of Wright or Dalembert need to go . I will go with keeping Wright due to his age and how well he plays with the bench .

So we are assuming Mekel and Dalembert are both traded with no salry coming back .

14th Pick $1,600,000
23rd Pick $1,000,000
Calderon $7,097,000
Larkin $1,606,000
Ellis $8,360,000
Ellington $2,772,000
Ledo $817,000
Crowder $915,000
Wright $5,000,000

$29,167,000 in Salaries / $32,833,000 In Cap Space

1-I think Dirk takes as little as $8 Million no more than $10 Million . So we will go with $9 Million

2-I think 1 of Marion or Carter return probably Carter because Marion may want too much money . So Carter returns for the $2.7 Million Room exception that doesnt count against the cap .

3-Harris returns for the 3 year $3 Million a year contract he originally agreed too . And he becomes the starter with moving Calderon to the bench .

$32,833,000 In Cap Space

1-Re-sign Dirk $9 Million
2-Re-sign Harris $3 Million
3-Sign SF Trevor Ariza $8 Million
4-Sign C Marcin Gortat $12.8 Million
5-Sign SG/SF Carter $2.7 Million Room exception ( Doesnt count against Cap Space )
6-Sign PF Anthony Tolliver Vet Min ( Doesnt count against Cap Space )

PG-Harris / Calderon / Larkin
SG-Ellis / Ellington / Ledo
SF-Ariza / Carter / Crowder
PF-Dirk / Tolliver / Payne
C-Gortat / Wright / Stein

Starting 5 - Harris / Ellis / Ariza / Dirk / Gortat
Bench 5 - Calderon / Carter / Crowder / Tolliver or Payne / Wright

I would say that this starting 5 is better than years starting 5 . And the bench is improved too with Calderon going to the bench along with Crowder improving and replacing Marion ( .345 3P% ) who is the Mavs current backup PF with Tolliver ( .404 3P% ) and Payne ( .436 3P% )

If Ellington is moved then you could also use the extra $2.7 Million to pay Monroe instead of Gortat
Floppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #48
Floppy

Floppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
There's absolutely no way Monta is being traded until Dirk retires. Dirk has loved having him as his sidekick and never stops talking about him when given the opportunity.
Calderon I love his intensity but he feels more like an expensive 3 pt shooter. For less money I like what he does, because Devin is finishing as of late. Trading Calderon only makes the offseason that much harder because now youre looking for a PG thats above him, and thus more expensive.

Could absolutely see both of them back next season.

I wonder how much Marion is willing to stay for...
I agree no way Ellis is getting traded . He means too much to the team and Dirk is always saying how much he loves playing with him .

Only way Ellis is traded is if it returns a Bonafide Allstar and I don't see that happening . We should be happy that we have a near Allstar in Ellis for just $8.4 Million next year .
Old 03-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #49
Floppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeIsAlwaysThere View Post
Harris loves to play in Dallas, however, he won't take that less.

I think Harris takes the 3 year $3 Million a year contract he agreed to last summer
Old 03-31-2014, 02:58 PM   #50
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy View Post
First everything I have read is that the salary cap will go up to $62 Million .Even the link below suggests $62.9 Million

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/20...ntic-division/

I will go with $62 Million . And I also assume the possibility the Mavs miss the Playoffs and end up with the 14th + 34th + 44th picks .

I would then try to package Mekel + #34 + #44 + $3 Million cash for a late 1st rd pick 23-26

#14 Pick Cap Hold is $1.6 Million --Draft PF Adreian Payne
#23 Pick Cap hold is $1 Million --Draft C Will Cauley Stein

The Mavs biggest needs are a Starting SF and Starting Center . With signing a Starting Center this now means 1 of Wright or Dalembert need to go . I will go with keeping Wright due to his age and how well he plays with the bench .

So we are assuming Mekel and Dalembert are both traded with no salry coming back .

14th Pick $1,600,000
23rd Pick $1,000,000
Calderon $7,097,000
Larkin $1,606,000
Ellis $8,360,000
Ellington $2,772,000
Ledo $817,000
Crowder $915,000
Wright $5,000,000

$29,167,000 in Salaries / $32,833,000 In Cap Space

1-I think Dirk takes as little as $8 Million no more than $10 Million . So we will go with $9 Million

2-I think 1 of Marion or Carter return probably Carter because Marion may want too much money . So Carter returns for the $2.7 Million Room exception that doesnt count against the cap .

3-Harris returns for the 3 year $3 Million a year contract he originally agreed too . And he becomes the starter with moving Calderon to the bench .

$32,833,000 In Cap Space

1-Re-sign Dirk $9 Million
2-Re-sign Harris $3 Million
3-Sign SF Trevor Ariza $8 Million
4-Sign C Marcin Gortat $12.8 Million
5-Sign SG/SF Carter $2.7 Million Room exception ( Doesnt count against Cap Space )
6-Sign PF Anthony Tolliver Vet Min ( Doesnt count against Cap Space )

PG-Harris / Calderon / Larkin
SG-Ellis / Ellington / Ledo
SF-Ariza / Carter / Crowder
PF-Dirk / Tolliver / Payne
C-Gortat / Wright / Stein

Starting 5 - Harris / Ellis / Ariza / Dirk / Gortat
Bench 5 - Calderon / Carter / Crowder / Tolliver or Payne / Wright

I would say that this starting 5 is better than years starting 5 . And the bench is improved too with Calderon going to the bench along with Crowder improving and replacing Marion ( .345 3P% ) who is the Mavs current backup PF with Tolliver ( .404 3P% ) and Payne ( .436 3P% )

If Ellington is moved then you could also use the extra $2.7 Million to pay Monroe instead of Gortat
I appreciate the work you put into this post, but dude... Gortat, Tolliver and Ariza aren't gonna turn this team into anything special. Yeah I like Gortat, I guess, but he doesn't play any kind of defense, and he's a little undersized. As far as Ariza and Tolliver go... they're average role players at best. Ariza has decent numbers this season but that's because of the team he's with... he'd be no more than a 10ppg guy here.

While that might upgrade us slightly, for us to have a successful offseason we have to come away with Luol Deng and/or Greg Monroe, or obviously one of the superstars, but that probably won't happen.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #51
marc9211

marc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to allmarc9211 is a name known to all

Quote:
I appreciate the work you put into this post, but dude... Gortat, Tolliver and Ariza aren't gonna turn this team into anything special. Yeah I like Gortat, I guess, but he doesn't play any kind of defense, and he's a little undersized. As far as Ariza and Tolliver go... they're average role players at best. Ariza has decent numbers this season but that's because of the team he's with... he'd be no more than a 10ppg guy here.

While that might upgrade us slightly, for us to have a successful offseason we have to come away with Luol Deng and/or Greg Monroe, or obviously one of the superstars, but that probably won't happen.
I think your right. The best we can do this offseason is ending with a starting five of Harris/Ellis/Deng/Dirk/Monroe. It's tough to judge the impact Monroe can have because right now for the Pistons the paint is way too clogged with Drummond. I think alone Monroe could be a great paint jamming center that this team desperately needs. I also agree with Ariza, he is way overrated and has numbers because of the team he is on. Deng had too much responsibility on offense in Chicago. And now plays with an uninspired Cavs team. With this team, being the third maybe fourth scoring option would be perfect, while he shuts down the opponents best shooting guard/small forward.

Ariza is a role player in this league and I don't want him headlining our small forward position. The combonation of Gortat and Dirk I don't believe would be the answer we are looking for. Too small and not enough defense.

Last edited by marc9211; 03-31-2014 at 06:27 PM.
marc9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:20 PM   #52
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Depth chart:
PG - Calderon / Harris
SG - Ellis / Carter
SF - Deng / Crowder
PF - Dirk / Wright
C - Hill / Dalembert

Most realistic scenario. I am totally on board with this and I could see a 5th/6th seed
Old 03-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #53
sig

sig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the rough

I want to trade Calderon for a SF or a big and bring in Lowery. Send him to Sacto for Jayson Williams. I think Lowery is the most impactful FA not in the upper tier of Lebron, Melo and that group.

If the Mavs come up short in the playoff race, I'm hoping for Kyle Anderson but Gary Harris and McDermott are a couple of sharp shooters that would be nice additions. McDermott could probably play off the bench next year. I think he was part of the Team USa camp last year and the only college player who attended. I heard one basketball coach or scout on a radio show who claimed he looked like he fit talent wise with the NBA players. Harris probably needs a year but that is OK. Early from Wichita would be a nice pick around 19 in the case the Mavs make the playoffs and keep their draft pick.

I think there will be some decent players in the early 2nd so I do know if I'd move into the late 1st if I had already made a pick in the 15-20.
sig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 PM   #54
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig View Post
I want to trade Calderon for a SF or a big and bring in Lowery. Send him to Sacto for Jayson Williams. I think Lowery is the most impactful FA not in the upper tier of Lebron, Melo and that group.

If the Mavs come up short in the playoff race, I'm hoping for Kyle Anderson but Gary Harris and McDermott are a couple of sharp shooters that would be nice additions. McDermott could probably play off the bench next year. I think he was part of the Team USa camp last year and the only college player who attended. I heard one basketball coach or scout on a radio show who claimed he looked like he fit talent wise with the NBA players. Harris probably needs a year but that is OK. Early from Wichita would be a nice pick around 19 in the case the Mavs make the playoffs and keep their draft pick.

I think there will be some decent players in the early 2nd so I do know if I'd move into the late 1st if I had already made a pick in the 15-20.
Dont pay much attention to players in NCAA, but I loved what I seen from Early
Old 03-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #55
CanadianMavsFan

CanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud of

Quote:
I love Stephenson, but he ain't leaving Indiana. I don't know what they can offer him, but I'd say there's a 90% chance he's with the Pacers again next season. He seems very happy there (why wouldn't he be?) and those guys are like a family. And come on dude, Ellis is a starting shooting guard in this league, and a damn good one. And I'm actually down for trading Calderon for a big man, I was saying we should do that at the deadline. But without Jose, we'd definitely need to then pick up a 3 point shooter to replace his production. And I'm also a fan of Ed Davis, wouldn't mind bringing him in. Then with Jordan Hill, I think he's definitely a better option than Dalembert. He averages like 8pts & 8rebs in less than 20 minutes. If we play him 28-30mpg he'll average a double-double, plus he's obviously younger than Sam.
Sorry I should have been more clear. I would want Ellis to play more of a Terry role but even more involved. Meaning he would come off the bench but probably still play the most minutes and certainly finish games. My main concern is splitting up Ellis so he can play minutes with someone who can shore up his defensive shortcomings.

Jury is still out on the Stephenson issue. I don't doubt that he wants to stay in Indiana but he is going to demand a nice chunk of change and it remains to be seen whether or not they will be willing to dish that out for him. Much hinges on their performance in the playoffs this year. The way they are playing now it is not inconceivable that a team like Toronto or Chicago could knock them out (as they have now dropped to the 2 seed).
CanadianMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #56
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMavsFan View Post
Sorry I should have been more clear. I would want Ellis to play more of a Terry role but even more involved. Meaning he would come off the bench but probably still play the most minutes and certainly finish games. My main concern is splitting up Ellis so he can play minutes with someone who can shore up his defensive shortcomings.

Jury is still out on the Stephenson issue. I don't doubt that he wants to stay in Indiana but he is going to demand a nice chunk of change and it remains to be seen whether or not they will be willing to dish that out for him. Much hinges on their performance in the playoffs this year. The way they are playing now it is not inconceivable that a team like Toronto or Chicago could knock them out (as they have now dropped to the 2 seed).

I see what you're saying about brining Ellis off the bench... but I think that would ruin his confidence and he wouldn't accept it very well. And with Stephenson, I guess his future depends on what Indiana does in the playoffs. If they get upset in the first or second round, maybe there's a chance he leaves for the right amount of money. But if they win the championship (looking unlikely at this point, but still) then he'll probably stay for sure.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:56 PM   #57
Floppy

Quote:

Ariza scoring 10 PPG here would be just fine when you have Calderon or Harris / Ellis / Dirk / Gortat ...

Ariza is a excellent defender and a great 3 Point shooter .

As for Gortat I would rather squeeze Monroe in instead

So a Starting 5 of Harris / Ellis / Ariza / Dirk / Monroe

Tolliver I'm looking for a superstar I just want a capable backup PF that's not playing out of position like Marion is . Tolliver would be great here shooting .404 3P% on 3.7 3PA currently we have Marion shooting .345 3P% 2.1 3PA as our backup PF .

Deng I think will cost too much money probably $13-14 Million and when you add $14-15 Million for Monroe it just doesn't work . Ariza will be more than adequate . And I keep hearing he puts up those numbers because of the team he plays on . What does that mean because he plays with Wall ? If Ariza played here with Calderon or Harris / Ellis ./ Dirk / Monroe he would be able to shoot wide open three after wide open three all day long .

Last edited by Floppy; 04-01-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:59 PM   #58
Floppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig View Post

I agree with the Trade Caleron and sign Lowry .. That would be great ..,

But if we miss the playoffs we need to draft a PF and that should be Adreian Payne who would fill the stretch 4 off the bench .
Old 04-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #59
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Can you guys wake up?

We wont have a 1st Round pick in this years Draft if we make the Playoffs

(Top 20 Protected to the Thunder 2014-2017).

Makes no sense talking about Payne and Stein etc.

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:57 AM   #60
jasonic

jasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to all

It is not sure yet.
If we take the 8th spot and Chicago or Toronto or both have a better record than us then we 'll have our pick.
jasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:27 AM   #61
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonic View Post
It is not sure yet.
If we take the 8th spot and Chicago or Toronto or both have a better record than us then we 'll have our pick.
Highly unlikely.

They are 2 games behind us and have tougher schedules

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #62
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Quote:
Ariza scoring 10 PPG here would be just fine when you have Calderon or Harris / Ellis / Dirk / Gortat ...

Ariza is a excellent defender and a great 3 Point shooter .

As for Gortat I would rather squeeze Monroe in instead

So a Starting 5 of Harris / Ellis / Ariza / Dirk / Monroe

Tolliver I'm looking for a superstar I just want a capable backup PF that's not playing out of position like Marion is . Tolliver would be great here shooting .404 3P% on 3.7 3PA currently we have Marion shooting .345 3P% 2.1 3PA as our backup PF .

Deng I think will cost too much money probably $13-14 Million and when you add $14-15 Million for Monroe it just doesn't work . Ariza will be more than adequate . And I keep hearing he puts up those numbers because of the team he plays on . What does that mean because he plays with Wall ? If Ariza played here with Calderon or Harris / Ellis ./ Dirk / Monroe he would be able to shoot wide open three after wide open three all day long .
I'm not completely against the Ariza idea. It's just that this is a big offseason for us, and we gotta come away with bigger names than "Gortat, Ariza, Tolliver"... the thought of that makes me cringe. If we bring in Monroe as our main free agent acquisition, then I'd be fine with Ariza filling in the SF spot, assuming we don't resign Marion. But I think the main target should be Luol Deng. He'll get some huge contracts thrown his way, but he'll probably want to go to a winning situation where he can be happy (so not Cleveland). Ellis turned down the Bucks' 32mill contract for our 25mill contract so he could be happy... maybe Deng does the same thing. But Deng should be our number one target, over Monroe, because we desperately need perimeter defense... and we can fill in the center position with other guys at a cheaper price like Jordan Hill or Andray Blatche.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #63
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

What do people see in Monroe that I don't? Because I see nothing special whatsoever... Are you sure you guys aren't confusing him with Drummond?

If we're choosing between Monroe and Deng, then it's not even close. You're paying Monroe for potential that may not even be there, whereas you'd be paying Deng for quantifiable results.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #64
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
What do people see in Monroe that I don't? Because I see nothing special whatsoever... Are you sure you guys aren't confusing him with Drummond?

If we're choosing between Monroe and Deng, then it's not even close. You're paying Monroe for potential that may not even be there, whereas you'd be paying Deng for quantifiable results.
IMO it's a "grass is greener" thing. He's Brandan Wright without a jumper or shotblocking: frequent defensive lapses, and sub-par rebounding for the C position.

He'd be a solid backup PF, and 2nd/3rd string center, but he's just not that good to make a huge impact on a team that is already short on rebounding.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-01-2014 at 09:36 AM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #65
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
IMO it's a "grass is greener" thing. He's Brandan Wright without a jumper or shotblocking: frequent defensive lapses, and sub-par rebounding for the C position.

He'd be a solid backup PF, and 2nd/3rd string center, but he's just not that good to make a huge impact on a team that is already short on rebounding.
Monroe is actually a pretty good rebounder, which we could definitely use more of at the center position... He's also a good scorer, but this team doesn't need more scoring, it needs defense - and defense is not Monroe's specialty.

If we're going to settle for a center who can score and rebound, but not play great defense, then I'd rather have Gortat at a lower price... He's a better rebounder, solid scorer, decent defender and good shot-blocker.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-01-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #66
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Monroe is actually a pretty good rebounder, which we could definitely use more of at the center position... He's also a good scorer, but this team doesn't need more scoring, it needs defense - and defense is not Monroe's specialty.

If we're going to settle for a center who can score and rebound, but not play great defense, then I'd rather have Gortat at a lower price... He's a better rebounder, solid scorer, decent defender and good shot-blocker.
Agree with this. I think of the possibly available centers I'd rank Sanders and Asik, in a vacuum, higher for this teams needs than Gortat. But then when you figure in Sanders injury and character concerns, as well as Asik's to a lesser extent, and combine it with the opportunity cost involved(Gortat will only cost cap space whereas Sanders/Asik will require parting w/ valuable assets)- Gortat just makes the most logical sense. Gortat is also the most versatile of the three. He actually HAS an offensive skill set, unlike the other two.

The question remains whether the MBT is willing to "overpay" for Gortat and/or Deng or whether Deng and/or Gortat are willing to take a little less to join a winning culture in Dallas and contend for a title. Personally, I see Washington being the primary competition for Gortat and Phoenix for Deng off the top of my head.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #67
Melonhead
Guru

Not news breaking but Nelson says Daly will absolutely be back next season
Old 04-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #68
Underdog

Quote:
So take $3.8m out of the equation and pencil in your backup center for next season.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #69
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Agree with this. I think of the possibly available centers I'd rank Sanders and Asik, in a vacuum, higher for this teams needs than Gortat. But then when you figure in Sanders injury and character concerns, as well as Asik's to a lesser extent, and combine it with the opportunity cost involved(Gortat will only cost cap space whereas Sanders/Asik will require parting w/ valuable assets)- Gortat just makes the most logical sense. Gortat is also the most versatile of the three. He actually HAS an offensive skill set, unlike the other two.

The question remains whether the MBT is willing to "overpay" for Gortat and/or Deng or whether Deng and/or Gortat are willing to take a little less to join a winning culture in Dallas and contend for a title. Personally, I see Washington being the primary competition for Gortat and Phoenix for Deng off the top of my head.

I agree that Gortat is a more likely target than Asik, but I actually don't think the Rockets are going to get too much for him this summer. Something like Larkin and a couple of second-rounders might get that kind of deal done, assuming they trade Lin as well so they can open up the necessary cap space to go after Melo this summer.

Personally, ranking the potentially/likely available centers this summer, my list is something like: Asik, Chandler, Gortat, Okafor (if healthy), Sanders.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #70
vin_sanity

vin_sanity is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree with the Trade Caleron and sign Lowry .. That would be great ..,

But if we miss the playoffs we need to draft a PF and that should be Adreian Payne who would fill the stretch 4 off the bench .
who would take trade of calderon? correct me if im wrong but i thought he signed with dallas after raptors couldnt trade him last year so released him
vin_sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #71
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_sanity View Post
who would take trade of calderon? correct me if im wrong but i thought he signed with dallas after raptors couldnt trade him last year so released him
Its a fair question, "who would take Calderon?"

Not because Calderon isn't good- he is. But his age, length of contract and the fact that there are plenty of good PG in the league make it difficult to find a match. There are so many Teagues, Isiah Thomas, Brandon Jennings type guys. Heck some teams might rather have Jameer Nelson or Devin Harris or Hinrich at half the cost and maybe even get them on a one or two year deal. Shaun Livingston will be a nice value this summer.

Not to mention young guys constantly cycling through- Reggie Jackson, Patrick Beverley. Factoring in cost and age some teams might prefer guys like that to Calderon. He is paid too highly to be a backup for a team like Memphis. Maybe the Knicks or Houston? A team in win now mode that needs point stability and an extra shooter?

Last edited by mac222b; 04-01-2014 at 03:45 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #72
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_sanity View Post
I'll correct you - the Raptors traded him to the Pistons last year, then he became a free agent. Detroit even tried to re-sign him, but he went to the Mavs instead. The guy only costs $7m and he's one of the best shooters in the league... He can be traded.

Also, we already have a Vinsanity on this site.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-01-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #73
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I agree that Gortat is a more likely target than Asik, but I actually don't think the Rockets are going to get too much for him this summer. Something like Larkin and a couple of second-rounders might get that kind of deal done, assuming they trade Lin as well so they can open up the necessary cap space to go after Melo this summer.

Personally, ranking the potentially/likely available centers this summer, my list is something like: Asik, Chandler, Gortat, Okafor (if healthy), Sanders.
Also, thought I should add that I'd prefer Monroe over anyone on that list... not necessarily as part of a 4/5 combo with Dirk, but as a long-term fit, he's clearly the guy on the list with the most upside as a high-end franchise piece.

Better yet, I'd love to trade for Asik and then sign Monroe outright, and go with those two and Dirk as our front court rotation for the rest of Dirk's career.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:54 AM   #74
Floppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStandard View Post
Can you guys wake up?

We wont have a 1st Round pick in this years Draft if we make the Playoffs

(Top 20 Protected to the Thunder 2014-2017).

Makes no sense talking about Payne and Stein etc.
Right now the Mavs are the 9th seed = 14th Pick

If they make the playoffs in the 8th seed it is currently the 21st pick which goes to OKC . But Right now both Toronto and Chicago are only 1 1/2 games back with the 19th and 20th picks . I don't think Toronto catches us due to their schedule . But I do think Chicago catches us considering they have a pretty easy remaining schedule.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:02 AM   #75
Floppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStandard View Post
Highly unlikely.

They are 2 games behind us and have tougher schedules

Dallas 7 Games Remain with a 1 1/2 game lead

@ Clippers 1st Night of Back2Back
@ Lakers 2nd Night of Back2Back
@ Sacramento
@ Utah
Vs San Antonio
Vs Phoenix
@ Memphis

Chicago 8 Games Remain

@ Atlanta
Vs Milwaukee 1st Night of Back2Back
@ Washington 2nd Night of Back2Back
@ Minnesota
Vs Detroit
@ Knicks 1st Night of Back2Back
Vs Orlando 2nd Night of Back2Back
@ Charlotte

Chicago has a better record than all 8 remaining opponents

Dallas has a better record of only 3 of their 7 remaining opponents
Old 04-02-2014, 03:05 AM   #76
Floppy

Quote:
I'm not completely against the Ariza idea. It's just that this is a big offseason for us, and we gotta come away with bigger names than "Gortat, Ariza, Tolliver"... the thought of that makes me cringe. If we bring in Monroe as our main free agent acquisition, then I'd be fine with Ariza filling in the SF spot, assuming we don't resign Marion. But I think the main target should be Luol Deng. He'll get some huge contracts thrown his way, but he'll probably want to go to a winning situation where he can be happy (so not Cleveland). Ellis turned down the Bucks' 32mill contract for our 25mill contract so he could be happy... maybe Deng does the same thing. But Deng should be our number one target, over Monroe, because we desperately need perimeter defense... and we can fill in the center position with other guys at a cheaper price like Jordan Hill or Andray Blatche.

See I think its the opposite you go after Monroe who will 5 years younger . Think of the potential that Monroe has . And you can also have Ariza who is also a great perimeter defender and can also spread the floor with his .400+ 3P%
Old 04-02-2014, 03:13 AM   #77
Floppy

Quote:

Monroe 15.1 PPG 9.2 RPG @ 24 years old

Pretty much a 15 and 10 Center @ just 24 years old who may even play better with Dirk and Ellis . I would think Monroe will be able to get plenty of uncontested baskets with the attention that Dirk and Ellis get from the opposing team .

You can have Monroe who has barely scratched the surface ansd still get
Ariza who is also a great defender . Sure he's not quite on Dengs level but he is a lot better than Marion at this point and when you factor in his 3 point shooting I think those 2 are the obvious choice .
Old 04-02-2014, 03:17 AM   #78
Floppy

Quote:

2 possibilities

1-They get rid of Wright and gain $5 Million in cap space

2-They keep both and sign a Center that can also play Power Forward
Old 04-02-2014, 03:21 AM   #79
Floppy

Quote:

If the Mavs plan on keeping Dalembert then Wright + Mekel works ...Toss in some 2nd rd picks and cash . Then you have your starter and backup without even touching your $30 Million in cap space .. Maybe a 3rd team has to be involved if Houston doesn't want the salary .
Old 04-02-2014, 03:28 AM   #80
Floppy

Quote:
Also, thought I should add that I'd prefer Monroe over anyone on that list... not necessarily as part of a 4/5 combo with Dirk, but as a long-term fit, he's clearly the guy on the list with the most upside as a high-end franchise piece.

Better yet, I'd love to trade for Asik and then sign Monroe outright, and go with those two and Dirk as our front court rotation for the rest of Dirk's career.

I agree with Monroe being the best available but I wouldn't go after Asik if you had Monroe . we have already seen Asik doesn't want to be a backup and would jus cause problems . Then there is the money factor if Monroe gets $15 Million and Asik $8.4 Million that's $23.4 Million to your Centers and what about Donnie saying Dalembert stays that then would be $27.2 Million in Centers this surely would put us in the tax . Not to mention Cuban would actually have to pay $33.8 Million before taxes to our 3 Centers .

Get Monroe with Dalembert backing him up with a Vet Min Center or with the Boston 2nd rd Pick .

Also maybe we can trade Calderon + Wright to Detroit for Monroe and still have $30 Million in Cap Space ( $20-22 Million after re-signing Dirk )