Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-26-2003, 08:18 AM   #1
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Maybe Cubes should offer some incentive for the fans to make extra noise tomorrow night against the kings. Maybe $5 for every time the fans boo a Vlade flop or SheWebb crying face? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Kings offer cash to hear boo-birds

February 26, 2003

BY PERRY A. FARRELL
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Vlade Divac and Chris Webber were willing to pay to have the Arco Arena crowd boo former Kings Jon Barry and Corliss Williamson during the Pistons-Sacramento game Tuesday night.

The Sacramento Bee reported Tuesday that Divac would pay $5 to each fan in the sellout crowd of 17,317 if everyone booed Barry and Williamson, fan favorites when they played for the Kings.

"Seriously," Divac said, "but if I see or hear one clap or cheer, the bet is off. It must be everyone."

Webber then chipped in and said he would pay another $5 per fan.

The move would cost each $86,585, but that's chump change considering Divac is making $11,248,076 this season and Webber $14,343,750.

Barry said it was just "Vlade joking around; I haven't talked to him."

The Pistons lost, 81-75, giving them a four-game losing streak, eight straight losses to the Kings and six straight at Arco Arena.

Williamson and Barry are the stalwarts off the Pistons' bench. Williamson scored 13 points on 5-for-11 shooting. But Barry played just six minutes and was scoreless.

HOLDING PATTERN: The Pistons haven't lost any ground because Indiana has lost five straight and New Jersey three straight. The Pistons and Pacers are tied for the Eastern Conference lead, with the Nets a half-game back. The Pistons' losing streak is a season high; they had a three-game skid Nov. 30-Dec. 7 against Milwaukee, Washington and Atlanta.

SLUMPING: The Pistons have had trouble lately finding a rhythm on offense. Impatience was a problem in Monday's loss at Seattle, especially for a team that has difficulty scoring.

"We didn't work our offensive possessions, and that got us off to a bad start," coach Rick Carlisle said. "We've got to learn that the style we play, particularly on a difficult Western road trip, is going to be very important."

Cliff Robinson said the team was guilty of "trying to do too much down the stretch. We were in a rush to do things, and it showed. You have to be concerned because we wanted to start the trip off with a win, and we didn't."

SQUEEZED OUT: With the return of Bobby Jackson from a broken left hand, Kings guard Damon Jones has found his minutes reduced on a deep roster. The former Pistons point guard has played in 49 games this season and started once. He is averaging 4.6 points and 1.6 assists. Despite his limited playing time, Jones has attempted 121 three-pointers, fourth on the team.

EX-PISTONS UPDATE: Former Piston Scot Pollard, who is on the injured list with a broken right hand, was cleared to practice this week and went through the Kings' workout Tuesday. Another former Piston, guard Mateen Cleaves, remains on the Kings' injured list with left quadriceps tendinitis. Cleaves, drafted by the Pistons in 2000, has played 12 games this season, averaging 1.3 points and 4.6 minutes.

"Bobby Jacksonand Doug Christie didn't play a lot their first couple of years," Cleaves said. "I expect to be in the league a long time."
Old 02-26-2003, 02:58 PM   #2
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

its for things like that, why I can only hate the kings when they play the mavs. I would love to see them crush the lakers and the lose to whoever.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Uhhh, I think the article failed to stress that Webber, Divacs and Barry are best of friends....
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:19 PM   #4
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

I read elsewhere that some of the fans were pissed that they did not pay up. Vlade said later that he was completely joking and that he would not pay.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 07:25 PM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< Uhhh, I think the article failed to stress that Webber, Divacs and Barry are best of friends.... >>

<< I read elsewhere that some of the fans were pissed that they did not pay up. Vlade said later that he was completely joking and that he would not pay. >>

Well sounds like Webber and Divacs are cheap as well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 06:16 PM   #6
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Looks like it backfired in a big way:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports...-7139542c.html

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote