Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 AM   #1041
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a little more info on actual specifics on how things went down after the Toronto thing in regards to how things were handle by the key players and the media and just general thoughts from me.

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2015/02/...ion-breakdown/
Old 02-26-2015, 03:05 AM   #1042
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

I think the altercation effectively ended Rondo and the Mavs. Maybe already this season, but he won't be here next.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #1043
Twenty4sevenn

Twenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to all

Man, I really can't stand MacMahon.
Twenty4sevenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #1044
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4sevenn View Post
Man, I really can't stand MacMahon.
Same. Without a lick of evidence more than anyone else, he's decided to go on a witch hunt. I'm sure it's selling papers, but Rick, Rondo, EKS, and others haven't come to the same conclusion on what I can only assume is the same evidence. He's way overplaying his cards.

It may turn out to be true this summer after months more struggle, but right how it's just irresponsible journalism. It's like predicting a tornado because you just had a blustery day.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-26-2015 at 10:30 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #1045
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

If Rondo doesn't get his act together under Carlisle his value will immensely diminish.
That will be 2 out of the top 3 coaches in the league that he can't get along with if he doesn't get it together.

Would love to see him have to deal with Pop for a season.

Mavs have upper hand in that regard but Rondo has upper hand knowing Mavs are in a bind at PG after this season if he moves on. He can use the Birds rights to his advantage if he plays his cards right because the Mavs will vastly overpay if he is even close to being a fit. If he continues to be a knucklehead he will lose value with Mavs and the open market and the Mavs will take their chances with someone else.

Rondo has complete control of his destiny at this point and has taken another step in devaluing his brand.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-26-2015 at 11:05 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #1046
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
I think the altercation effectively ended Rondo and the Mavs. Maybe already this season, but he won't be here next.
Really? I don't think that. We still have a lot of the season and the playoffs left... too early to make that call (like some in the media are doing *cough MacMahon)

If we do well in the playoffs and Rondo plays well I don't see why they wouldn't resign him if the price is right and assuming he wants to stay here.

Winning can solve a lot of issues. This team is still a work in progress guys.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #1047
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think McMahon is jumping the gun.. But, I think it's headed that way quickly.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #1048
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, a lot of people also thought that Jason Kidd is a 1.5 year rental when he had his issues with Rick etc.

Lets see it from Rondos view and what are his options:
Drafted into a contender, winning the title early, 5 years playoffs in a row and then the injury and two absolutly wasted years in his prime. Now he is at the end of his prime, he declined after the injury (unfortunately).

And which teams would be interested in the summer? I see maximum three teams and i expect all of them to be a lottery team in 15-16 again, even with Rondo.

Lakers
Knicks
Kings

Kings are searching a high profile PG but the whole franchise is a mess and the franchise player isnt really happy with the organization. They could create the cap for Rondo but i dont see Rondo putting them into the playoffs in the west. No way.

Knicks: Rondo as triangle PG? Okay...there are also strong rumours that Tobias Harris and the Knicks have mutual interest. Rondo + Harris and the cap is gone and no way this is a playoff team. Even in the east.

Same with the Lakers. Kobe and Young eating up 30m. Plus cap holds. Means they have just the cap for two 2nd/3rd tier FA (Rondo/Harris/Asik/Afflalo, Jefferson etc). Add Rondo and one of these guys to the Lakers roster next year and what you got? Another lottery team because the west is sick...

Thats the problem of the Knicks and Lakers. I dont see any of the stars changing teams this summer, i expect everyone to stay (Gasol, LMA, Love, Jordan, Butler, Leonard, Wade, Millsap, Monroe). Means they have to blow their money on two glorified roleplayer. No one pushing them over the top. MAYBE if one of them wins the draft lottery but looks like Rondo would waste another year of his prime next year in LA or NY. And then MAYBE be again in the playoffs 16-17 if they are able to get a big name in 2016.

And you got the 2016 sweepstakes with a lot of big names going into the FA and both teams targeting their next franchise player. BUT it looks like the cap gonna rise in one giant step that summer (TV contract kicking it), means a lot of contender with allready great roster could have a lot of cap space too and give FAs a really interesting win now choice...

Last edited by sefant77; 02-26-2015 at 12:12 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #1049
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

spreedom still wanting to trade Ellis.

I just don't get it, never got it and never will get it.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #1050
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Same. Without a lick of evidence more than anyone else, he's decided to go on a witch hunt. I'm sure it's selling papers, but Rick, Rondo, EKS, and others haven't come to the same conclusion on what I can only assume is the same evidence. He's way overplaying his cards.

It may turn out to be true this summer after months more struggle, but right how it's just irresponsible journalism. It's like predicting a tornado because you just had a blustery day.
I don't quite see it that way. There is always going to be one tough reporter like him in every city. He was tough on Odom, and Odom was too mentally weak to take it. Bye, bye, Odom.

I actually think it sends a message. Do you want to be a Maverick or not? Rondo just simply has to prove him wrong.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:41 PM   #1051
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post

spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #1052
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justvisitingsixerfan View Post
I know that. But, he knows that no other team can offer him that 5th year on a new deal other then the Mavs. And if Rondo truly wants that 5th year on a new deal, he will agree to a sign & trade. Now, I know that Rondo and Kobe have a great personal relationship. And Kobe wants Rondo in L.A. next season desperately. I also know that the Lakers could just use what will be their available Cap money to just outright sign Rondo.
Rondo can't get 5 years in a SnT. SnT salary rules in the new CBA are the same as a player signing with a team other than his own.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #1053
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
SnT salary rules in the new CBA are the same as a player signing with a team other than his own.
I did not know that - thanks for the info.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #1054
justvisitingsixerfan

justvisitingsixerfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Rondo can't get 5 years in a SnT. SnT salary rules in the new CBA are the same as a player signing with a team other than his own.

I can't find that. Where did you read that sir ? Plus, the new CBA won't come into effect til 2016, Isn't it ? Regardless though, even if for some reason Rondo's stock falls the rest of this season....if Kobe tells Jim Buss he wants Rondo, and at the Max deal.....Rondo is gonna get it. Kobe runs the Lakers. The Buss Family has no say in the matter whatsoever.
justvisitingsixerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #1055
justvisitingsixerfan

justvisitingsixerfan is on a distinguished road

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:

There are rumblings among rival front offices that Rondo might just be the personality type to forego a five-year deal with the Mavs for a four-year deal with the team of his choice — the Lakers.

I thought I was right on that. Rondo can and only get that 5 year extension with the Mavs. And that is a whole lot more Jack my friends. Here is the Link below.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...or-the-lakers/
justvisitingsixerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #1056
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Easy come easy go.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #1057
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justvisitingsixerfan View Post
Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:

There are rumblings among rival front offices that Rondo might just be the personality type to forego a five-year deal with the Mavs for a four-year deal with the team of his choice — the Lakers.

I thought I was right on that. Rondo can and only get that 5 year extension with the Mavs. And that is a whole lot more Jack my friends. Here is the Link below.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...or-the-lakers/
wishful thinking, but yeah-- I see Rondo as a guy who is more about competition more than money.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:25 PM   #1058
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
wishful thinking, but yeah-- I see Rondo as a guy who is more about competition more than money.
I see Rondo as a guy who is more about Rondo than competition and/or money.

He thinks he has a small role here, wait til he plays with Kobe or Melo.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #1059
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I was confident even just 4-5 days ago that the Mavs would be making Rondo a competitive offer this summer (even if a true max offer was unlikely). But if he and Rick don't build some trust within a couple months, that won't happen. Rondo's play hasn't been good enough to justify asking Rick to keep working with a problem child.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #1060
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I was confident even just 4-5 days ago that the Mavs would be making Rondo a competitive offer this summer (even if a true max offer was unlikely). But if he and Rick don't build some trust within a couple months, that won't happen. Rondo's play hasn't been good enough to justify asking Rick to keep working with a problem child.
Yeah, I'm beginning to have doubts about Rondo ever being a good fit on this team. I think Rick will give him one more chance like he did West but think that will be short lived much like West. Too much drama for Rick and this team.

Although our PG situation will most likely be a total mess next season if we don't resign him, I'm beginning to wonder if it will be even worse if we do.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #1061
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well Rondo basically told Rick to f off...at a home game...when we're almost guaranteed a playoff spot. I could understand it if we were clawing for a spot on a road game, but there is no reason to act like that.

I don't know how I'd react if I was at that game. Just totally uncalled for.

With all of that said, suspending him just threw gas into the fire. Perhaps it needed to be done, but it is definitely risky.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 02-26-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #1062
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Well Rondo basically told Rick to f off...at a home game...when we're almost guaranteed a playoff spot. I could understand it if we were clawing for a spot on a road game, but there is no reason to act like that.

I don't know how I'd react if I was at that game. Just totally uncalled for.

With all of that said, suspending him just threw gas into the fire. Perhaps it needed to be done, but it is definitely risky.
Suspending Rondo wasn't a risk. Having Rondo was the risk. It's like being afraid to set boundaries with a boyfriend/girlfriend you aren't sure of. Setting boundaries won't ruin the relationship. It'll just tell you if the relationship was built to last earlier. Walking on egg shells just wastes everyone's time.

You have to set boundaries and establish authority. If players can't accept boundaries, then you move them or let them walk. Some guys really appreciate boundaries, even though they always test them. Other guys are grade-A turds and will always be turds. You can't bend the rules to try to turn a turd into a star student any more than you can turn bad relationship material into good relationship material and it's better to know which players are solid and which are turds as quickly as possible so you don't waste time.

It very well could be that Rondo is a turd. He comes back and hates the boundaries established by Carlisle, pulls an Odom, tries to ruin the locker room, and walks away this summer. In that case, would it really have been better if we mortgaged the locker room and the team's respect in Rick to keep one turd happy? We wasted some trade assets, but you can't build a team around a turd. Better to know how if he's an undisciplined jerk.

On the other hand, Rondo could come around, respect Rick for his vision and this whole thing could help the relationship along. Terry was PISSED when he was called out, but he always responded. Rondo could come back, Rick and Rondo communicate more. We finally figure out how to use Rondo in our offense, and by the end of the year Rondo loves playing for us.

Both options are real possibilities. No one knows which will happen yet-- not MacMahon, not BG, not EKS. Not even Mark knows that. It's irresponsible to say that things are one way or another at this point, which is why I dislike MacMahon-- he may very well turn out to be right just like my next lottery ticket may be a winner, but it's irresponsible to claim knowledge when you don't know yet. We'll get some more evidence as the year goes on, but right now it's impossible to tell if Rondo is just a broken person/player.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-26-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #1063
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Suspending Rondo wasn't a risk. Having Rondo was the risk. It's like being afraid to set boundaries with a boyfriend/girlfriend you aren't sure of. Setting boundaries won't ruin the relationship. It'll just tell you if the relationship was built to last earlier. Walking on egg shells just wastes everyone's time.
I'm not saying that it wasn't the right move from a policy POV, but what started as a relatively normal screaming match turned into an issue with the suspension. I understand why, but I'm not sure I do it from a perception standpoint. It's a tough call.

Quote:
It very well could be that Rondo is a turd. He comes back and hates the boundaries established by Carlisle, pulls an Odom, tries to ruin the locker room, and walks away this summer. In that case, would it really have been better if we mortgaged the locker room and the team's respect in Rick to keep one turd happy? We wasted some trade assets, but you can't build a team around a turd. Better to know how if he's an undisciplined jerk
I don't think Rondo is a turd or Lamar Odom. Odom was worthless from day one. I actually really like Rondo, and he has shown he can be a big time player when he wants to be. I just wonder about the want-to and whether he likes being a Maverick. I don't even care about the jump shooting. Only care that he bleeds Maverick blue.

Quote:
On the other hand, Rondo could come around, respect Rick for his vision and this whole thing could help the relationship along. Terry was PISSED when he was called out, but he always responded. Rondo could come back, Rick and Rondo communicate more. We finally figure out how to use Rondo in our offense, and by the end of the year Rondo loves playing for us.
I think he'll turn it around because he has no incentive not to.

Quote:
Both options are real possibilities. No one knows which will happen yet-- not MacMahon, not BG, not EKS. Not even Mark knows that. It's irresponsible to say that things are one way or another at this point, which is why I dislike MacMahon-- he may very well turn out to be right just like my next lottery ticket may be a winner, but it's irresponsible to claim knowledge when you don't know yet. We'll get some more evidence as the year goes on, but right now it's impossible to tell if Rondo is just a broken person/player.
I really don't think TMac is being irresponsible with this. Maybe a little overzealous, but he was the one who reported the argument in the lockerroom after game which answered the suspension question.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #1064
blankie123

blankie123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
seriously? All the defense of Steve Nash. All of the ineptitude of Felton. All of the lack of listening of Rondo? You have yourself a winner there.
uhh none of those are true
blankie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #1065
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post

I haven't read much here for a while, but I can certainly understand how some would feel like building around a player like Ellis is too difficult.

He can score, but he's not dominate enough to be the focal point of an offense.

He's got great handles, but can't seem to get other players involved in the offensive flow.

He's a small player who can't really handle full time PG duty. That would be fine, if he had off the ball skills like Terry did, such as moving without the ball, catching-and-shooting, etc. He doesn't really have those skills, imo.

Since he's not a spacer, he's only a threat with the ball in his hands - I can see how that type of limitation in a non-PG could bother some people. It's really difficult to make that model work.

However, Ellis just seems to be a Maverick, you know? He fits into this team and culture, so I'm inclined to hope he's in the future plans, myself.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #1066
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

He talks to plenty of people. He's not strictly just pulling it out of his ass.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:55 PM   #1067
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
So you're vouching for Tim, BG?
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #1068
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone should just chill out.

If Rondo is as smart as everyone claims that he is, he's going to figure out pretty quickly that it's in his best interest to get along with Carlisle, for however long he's here. There's absolutely no way he's getting the big contract offer he covets with his current level of play. Beyond that, I think that the way the numbers work out, he's probably going to get the best offer from Dallas, regardless of the level of his play going forward.

In other words, I think Rondo and the Mavericks are still likely tied together for a few years to come.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #1069
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get the McMahon hate around here. Dude reports and is solid at what he does. Just because he might ruffle the feathers a little bit doesn't take away from his ability as a writer/reporter.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #1070
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
did tim macmahon know something other people do not know:

"The reality is Rondo's run with the Mavs is extremely unlikely to extend past this season."

it is not maybe, possible, or probable, but "extremely unlikely"; and it is not i think, i guess, or i believe, but "the reality is"...
He doesn't know shit.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #1071
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
So you're vouching for Tim, BG?
I don't doubt Tim's sources, but I do think he tends to be flexible with the narrative that he uses to tell the story if it'll help with the page views.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 PM   #1072
bigcat

bigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to all

Quote:
I don't get the McMahon hate around here. Dude reports and is solid at what he does. Just because he might ruffle the feathers a little bit doesn't take away from his ability as a writer/reporter.
i was genuinely curious when i asked whether tim macmahon knows something others don't.

right after the trade deadline expired, he posted an article titled "Was Rondo deal the right move for Mavs?" and wondered aloud "the Mavs still might have to find a starting point guard this summer";

after mavs' win over houston, he repeatedly made a point to point out that rondo played just 21 minutes;

and with the latest rondo altercation, he wrote articles titled "Rondo's tenure with Mavs might be short", or with sentences i quoted above.

it may just be his personal opinion about the rondo trade manifested in his writings, but i am really curious whether he knows something others don't.
bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:40 PM   #1073
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Rondo hasn't played well enough to even have looked Rick in the eye after he yelled and called a timeout for his dumbass ignoring coach. He hasn't exactly been a stopper defensively, cant shoot his way out of a paper bag and you can't even complain if he's on the bench at the end of a tight game because he can't hit a free throw.

How would anyone expect him to be given a competitive offer from us given the way it looks so far? Things will have to dramatically change in the next few months, which I doubt will happen. This Rondo episode has a greater chance to be a swing thru here where he does nothing to better his reputation and does nothing to position himself as a top tier PG that teams will be overly excited for. No way in hell do I see him as a guy that I want to build my teams future around or lock up for big bucks.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #1074
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

First, Tim MacMahon is a good reporter. Everyone's allowed their opinion as to his personality--and I can understand why some don't like him (I do, personally)--but he's a good reporter.

Second, while Tim himself admitted he was just giving his opinion, it's obviously a (highly) informed opinion. So while he may not actually know what's going to happen, he's certainly more plugged in than any of us not named Ballin'.

Third, regardless of how informed Tim's opinion is, there's no real value in assessing Rondo's chances to re-sign right now. Every party involved in that decision, Rondo himself included, will be affected by what the Mavs do between now and July. Calculating the "likelihood" right now is like calculating the likelihood that Team A will win a game that's 35-30 in the second quarter. There's obviously some percentage you can put on Team A's chances to win, but with so much time left, the percentage has hardly any predictive value.

(In fairness, I've been guilty of number three myself. But incidents like the one the other night really serve as a reminder that sports can be incredibly volatile, and there's usually not much point in assessing binary outcomes this far in advance.)

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-26-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #1075
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

My problem with him is that he really wanted to blow up this thing as big as possible...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:56 PM   #1076
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
My problem with him is that he really wanted to blow up this thing as big as possible...
I think he should have been considerably more judicious in his word choice at this stage. His using words like "extremely unlikely," however accurate, is probably not the best way to proceed right now.

Then again, I'm no professional journalist!

Old 02-26-2015, 11:06 PM   #1077
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
First, Tim MacMahon is a good reporter. Everyone's allowed their opinion as to his personality--and I can understand why some don't like him (I do, personally)--but he's a good reporter.
I think he does a good job, but he was a jerk the other night with his whole "you haven't answered it yet" comment.

Quote:
Second, while Tim himself admitted he was just giving his opinion, it's obviously a (highly) informed opinion. So while he may not actually know what's going to happen, he's certainly more plugged in than any of us not named Ballin'.
Not questioning the fact that he's well-informed, but the whole narrative is, by design, an attention grab that would make Skip Bayless proud. It doesn't draw nearly as many "clicks" if you go with the "hang in there, folks, they'll work this out" angle.

Quote:
Third, regardless of how informed Tim's opinion is, there's no real value in assessing Rondo's chances to re-sign right now. Every party involved in that decision, Rondo himself included, will be affected by what the Mavs do between now and July.
I can certainly agree with this. To quote Joe Namath, "When you win, nothing hurts."
Old 02-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #1078
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Here is a good question...

How many players have been suspended by their team this season, and what was the aftermath?

Old 02-26-2015, 11:36 PM   #1079
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

I have no idea what's gonna happen with Rondo this summer... but I'm sure the Lakers (and/or Knicks) will throw max money at him. If we try to match that, and since we'll be able to give him 5 yrs as opposed to 4 yrs, we'll be paying him $24million in 2020 (according to a link I clicked in a post above). That's terrifying. People think Amare getting $23mill this season from the Knicks is bad... if we give Rondo that 5 yr max, and if his play doesn't improve from what we've seen this season (or God forbid it gets worse), that could go down as one of the worst contracts in NBA history.
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:02 AM   #1080
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I'm not saying he's pulling everything out of his ass. Just that his assertions outstrip his evidence

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-27-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Tags
goat offense, jameer nelson goat