Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold
Default So...fire Donny Nelson?

Now, maybe this is really on Cuban and he of course can spend his money the way he pleases. But since the title it really appears the Mavs FO has made a a bunch of bad moves: letting TC walk, Lamar Odom, not trading Marion, and Rajon Rondo. And that doesn't even begin to look at the poor draft selections. Is it time to bring in a new GM? Given Dirk's expected further decline, we're really going to need someone who's more skilled in scouting and building teams from scratch. Nelson probably isn't the best choice there. Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
bilease

bilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to behold

I wouldnt blame Donnie Nelson for all of that, who could've expected the Rondo trade to work out that bad? Something had to be done, we werent going anywhere with Nelson/Wright. Cant blame them for trying. Similiar story with Odom... It was a risk, but totally unexpected to be such a huge failure.

And for all I know, it was Cuban who insisted on not drafting Giannis Antetokounmpo eventhough Nelson wanted it. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...194548629.html

Soo.... Fire Mark Cuban? Dont overreact just because a trade or two didnt work out. And Im not going into the 2011 off season discussion again. Its history

Last edited by bilease; 04-22-2015 at 04:45 PM.
bilease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not fire Donnie but the team does need to restructure the front office and put more emphasis on the draft.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

I know, don't want to flog a dead horse too much. But Odom and Rondo...I mean, that's 2 huge failures within 4 years. If those were both Nelson's ideas and I were him, I'd definitely not feel very much job security...
Old 04-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Mavs must take a hard look into the case of Rondo and what evaluations went wrong in the process.

It's safe to say that the trade killed our season. FO likes to call themselves opportunistic, but this move seemed more desperate in hindsight.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Mavs must take a hard look into the case of Rondo and what evaluations went wrong in the process.

It's safe to say that the trade killed our season. FO likes to call themselves opportunistic, but this move seemed more desperate in hindsight.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
jamaljasonandjimmy

jamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of light

I say start the rebuilding with young players and good draft choices. kind of like the spurs have done. spurs are good year after year because they dont give up on players. mavs are quick to sign a declining vet or land that big freeagent. IMHO

pass the rock to the german moses
jamaljasonandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Donnie did a wonderful job putting a talented support group around Dirk this season.
That strategy worked when Dirk was 32 but now the strategy has to change.

I'm interested to see how he adapts to a new situation.

Donnie will be fine once we get another star or 2 to build around. We as fans just need to be patient.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-22-2015 at 05:52 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #9
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post

We made that trade a week after we got torched by Curry/Thompson so I'm sure the lack of backcourt defense had a lot to do with it.

I say start Aminu to defend Harden one-on-one and let Ellis run the show on offense....at this point we have nothing to lose.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't cut off all of the major heads just yet...however....

Get a draft GM like Rosas was supposed to be and all new assistant coaches. Putting pressure on the top jobs is a smart way to go about it.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #11
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Lakers were hiding that Odom had a drug problem and shipped him out before it went public, basically stealing a 1st and a TE...shameless

Donnie wanted to draft Giannis but Cuban made a major fuck up

Rondo was a solid gamble and the price wasnt high - no one thought Rondo is THAT much of an idiot.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Why was it a solid gamble? The guy had played like Sh!t since 2012.
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #13
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Because Nelson and Wright couldnt guard a chair and Wright is going to be an UFA
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:27 PM   #14
j0Shi
Diamond Member

I don't agree Rondo is something we had to try though, but I know that people rightfully have vastly different opinions about this.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #15
Igor1988

Igor1988 will become famous soon enough

We replaced guy who can't guard (JN) for guy who can't attack (RR).
Epicness.
Igor1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #16
Samurai

Samurai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk's Knee View Post
Is it time to bring in a new GM?
New GM? Dallas hasn't had a GM since Cuban took over. Dallas did try fill the position once and he quit after, what, a month?

Last edited by Samurai; 04-22-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:07 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor1988 View Post
We replaced guy who can't guard (JN) for guy who can't attack (RR).
Epicness.
And paid a first rounder for the ride

Man I was wrong about rondo. I thought it was a small price for a legit upgrade but I was completely wrong
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #18
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Nelson, Barea, Felton and Harris are all backup PGs but we are in a conference with Curry, Paul, Westbrook, Lillard, Parker, Conley, Bledsoe. Making a move for a 4 time allstar with a ring in his prime for merely Wright, Crowder, Nelson and pick was a no brainer. Especially when you consider we had the upper hand on resigning him.

If you are going to solely blame him for the Rondo deal you need to give him full credit for acquiring Kidd, Haywood, Butler, Stevenson, Chandler, Marion, Barea, Brewer, Mihinmi, Peja, Beaubois, Jones and Cardinal.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-22-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:10 AM   #19
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
We made that trade a week after we got torched by Curry/Thompson so I'm sure the lack of backcourt defense had a lot to do with it.

I say start Aminu to defend Harden one-on-one and let Ellis run the show on offense....at this point we have nothing to lose.
I have always wondered why Aminu hasn't been defending guard positions? I guess he'd handle Thompson easily but would Harden's driving abilities and quickness really be too difficult for Aminu? I hope RC tries it at least once during the series. He's easily Dallas' best defender and should be used as one.

Oh yeah, I don't blame Nelson for Rondo saga at all. If you want to lay any blame on him, then only that he should've protected the pick better. It's either to give 1st pick to Boston next season without finishing bottom 4 or be able to compete by 2021.

Last edited by Thebo; 04-23-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #20
Dirk's Knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Nelson, Barea, Felton and Harris are all backup PGs but we are in a conference with Curry, Paul, Westbrook, Lillard, Parker, Conley, Bledsoe. Making a move for a 4 time allstar with a ring in his prime for merely Wright, Crowder, Nelson and pick was a no brainer. Especially when you consider we had the upper hand on resigning him.

If you are going to solely blame him for the Rondo deal you need to give him full credit for acquiring Kidd, Haywood, Butler, Stevenson, Chandler, Marion, Barea, Brewer, Mihinmi, Peja, Beaubois, Jones and Cardinal.
Not sure what your saying. Past history doesn't guarantee future performance. It was awesome that we won a title and we did get 50 wins which is still quite an accomplishment. However, we stumbled hard to that goal and now have no future starting PG in an offseason where there are very few solid starting FA PG options available. Honestly no way to get better than Harris other than giving up another starter and then we get back to the endless cycle of roster reconstruction and with Dirk at 37 that just doesn't make sense anymore.

I'm speaking specifically towards 2 huge trade failures within 4 years with Dirk on the decline. My opinion is a change in GM (and in ownership perspective) is necessary now with a more importance placed on the draft, and a long term view of a forthcoming rebuild.

Last edited by Dirk's Knee; 04-23-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Dirk's Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #21
Dirk's Knee

And I almost forgot another (albeit smaller) failure since 2011, Fisher...
Old 04-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #22
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Maybe not fire Donnie but the team does need to restructure the front office and put more emphasis on the draft.
Agreed. Donnie is an asset in a lot of ways, but I continue to think they need to shift things around on the draft front. That's why I was initially excited about the Rosas hire, before it flamed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post

In a sense, they were "desperate"--desperate to improve their backcourt defense, as it was clear that this team wasn't competing with the Golden States of the league as constructed.

It didn't work, but calculated risks sometimes don't.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #23
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

In my mind it's time to move on from Donnie or to tell him that he needs to accept help. A one-man F.O. doesn't work anymore and between Fisher, Odom, and Rondo, he's made some unilateral, risky moves without speaking with coach. We need better leadership that starts with Cuban and goes down to the trainers. They all need to cooperate and work together at getting and staying on the same page. It's awesome that he can swing a blockbuster deal like Rondo's for relatively cheap using his contacts and friendship with Ainge, but when it's a unilateral move that hasn't been vetted/approved by the coach, then there is a problem.

Pluses/minuses
+ knows all the other GMs well and has good relationships with them
+Got us Dirk
+???

-Does not play well with others, including coach Rick (Rosas, etc.)
-unclear job description/lots of meddling by Cuban (also an issue for Rosas?)
-lots of bad deals recently (Rondo, Odom, etc.)
-His current strategy since 2005 (and probably earlier) is to throw away draft picks and young guys or to trade them for aging vets-- many of whom are over their prime. I have no problem with win-now, but too many concessions have been made to throw away young guys for old guys.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-23-2015 at 11:59 AM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #24
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I was so excited when Rosas came on because that meant we were aware of our issues (sucking at draft), and were looking to improve. Cuban/Donnie screwed that. I think Donnie should go for the sole reason I havent seen him evaluate talent worth a flip in the draft. There are guys to be had with our later picks, so I dont want to hear about our position.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #25
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
he's made some unilateral, risky moves without speaking with coach.
Is this an assumption, or do you know something I don't?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #26
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Is this an assumption, or do you know something I don't?
It was reported by McMahon and hinted at by BG that Rick wasn't particularly happy to hear about the trade at first, which implies that he either didn't get a say or didn't get the final word. I guess what I said was overblown-- I doubt Rick was completely in the dark, but as far as I'm concerned, if you have a coach like Rick, you support his vision by getting guys he wants and having him sign off on all blockbusters.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-23-2015 at 02:46 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #27
conjurer

conjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
It was reported by McMahon and hinted at by BG that Rick wasn't particularly happy to hear about the trade at first, which implies that he either didn't get a say or didn't get the final word. I guess what I said was overblown-- I doubt Rick was completely in the dark, but as far as I'm concerned, if you have a coach like Rick, you support his vision by getting guys he wants and having him sign off on all blockbusters.
If this is true, than Donnie has to go; although, I don't blame him that Rondo didn't work out. Can't have a GM who isn't in sync with the senior coaching staff.

Last edited by conjurer; 04-23-2015 at 03:41 PM.
conjurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #28
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Of course Rick wasn't int he dark. But it's likely he was overruled. Wouldn't be surprised if he's coaching OkC next season
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:31 AM   #29
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Of course Rick wasn't int he dark. But it's likely he was overruled. Wouldn't be surprised if he's coaching OkC next season
If only OKC would have 1st round draft picks to trade for him...
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #30
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
If only OKC would have 1st round draft picks to trade for him...
But they don't value picks! Don't want 'em
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #31
Dirk's Knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Kevin Ollie will be the next OKC coach unless Thibs is looking for a job.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #32
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kevin Ollie will be the next OKC coach unless Thibs is looking for a job.
Didn't Ollie already rejected the job?
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #33
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
Didn't Ollie already rejected the job?
Ha, next thing you know, he's holding a OKC hat. Without any definitive contract in hand....they all deny.
Kidd Karma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #34
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not sure what your saying. Past history doesn't guarantee future performance. It was awesome that we won a title and we did get 50 wins which is still quite an accomplishment. However, we stumbled hard to that goal and now have no future starting PG in an offseason where there are very few solid starting FA PG options available. Honestly no way to get better than Harris other than giving up another starter and then we get back to the endless cycle of roster reconstruction and with Dirk at 37 that just doesn't make sense anymore.

I'm speaking specifically towards 2 huge trade failures within 4 years with Dirk on the decline. My opinion is a change in GM (and in ownership perspective) is necessary now with a more importance placed on the draft, and a long term view of a forthcoming rebuild.
It almost sounds like people blame Donnie for our successes.
People want consistent 50 win seasons but expect us to always have trade assets or hit big with late 1st round draft picks.
Our consistent success of plus .500 wins has put us in a position to make desperate and risky trades so what do you do, bitch about Donnie putting us in that situation or pat him on the back for it?

Can't have it both ways people...that's why I've been saying the last few weeks that we need to either $H!T or get off the pot now.

Donnie's done a wonderful job during the Dirk era but its time to move on and see what he can do without a star to build around. There is no sense beating a dying horse.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-25-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #35
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

I feel like firing myself as GM-Fan.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #36
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

[QUOTE=Dirk's Knee;1380972]I know, don't want to flog a dead horse too much. But Odom and Rondo...I mean, that's 2 huge failures within 4 years. If those were both Nelson's ideas and I were him, I'd definitely not feel very much job security...[/QUO
He could have traded Wright for Thomas and kept jae.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #37
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

We can hem-haw about this but let's look at the facts. It's been four years since the chip and we have three (and counting hopefully) playoff wins.

Compared to other champions, our four-years later regular season may be slightly below average but our playoff record must be one of the worst. A quick look shows Miami post-2006 is comparable. They had one really bad year but the others made the playoffs otherwise but were quick first round outs. 2013 Miami may make this a threesome but still went back to the Finals in 2014 so they're probably already above the 2006 Mavs in terms of hangover.

Post MJ 1998 Chicago is really the worst but that's a total nuke situation (losing the GOAT player, GOAT coach and another HOFer). Mavs and 2006 Heat are probably the worst four years after champion teams.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote