Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-30-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bring Deron off the bench?

Seriously, I don't see how you can take Barea out of the starting lineup.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
Dan1

Dan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to all

He is playing really well and i think Rick should really consider it... At least until he gets cold. His last four games percentages are ridiculous and unfortunately not realistic. 18-26 from 3. 34-54 overall. Other coaches will pay more attention and JJ still has a tough time against some top starting guards in the league. But while he is playing like this i say keep it!
Old 12-30-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

He's playing too good to disrupt his mojo. Idc if it's a spin job of "easing him back" if JJ is still playing like he has these last 4 games it's too hard to sit him. I'm sure eventually he will taper off but until then Idk why we would change it up. The whole team makes comments about winning being the most important thing. Zaza has said it, Matthews has said it, Dirk always says it, Parsons volunteered for bench role to help the team. I would expect Dwill to do the same if it came to that. I don't think it's a long term thing though, just while JJ is this locked in.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

What I've always said is that JJ works best when the team relies on him to score in a bigger role. Any other role and he just seems to not do as well...and rather poorly in many games. If you take that away by benching him, then his worth seriously diminishes. What I appreciate is how hard he plays when on the court. And with him being "the man" at pg, he suddenly isn't over-dribbling or playing dumb. Deron plays well and hard when he feels like it. I'm sure part of that has to do with his injury issues, but hey, Barea gets hurt too. And yet, he still gives 100% all the time.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out for sure.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 12-31-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Rick is going to go with the flow but the minutes cut would likely come from Felton and Harris, and even then it will depend on matchups. This is a great situation to have. It's plate spinning to keep everyone hot and keep everyone somewhat happy with their minutes.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:57 AM   #6
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Carlisle will figure it out. I still see Deron as a good asset to have. Later into the season teams start trying to play big more. Deron is the ideal pg we need to start off a game. Now what helps a lot is a JJ producing while he starts. It'll be a good combo with Deron at full health.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #7
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Barea is what he is....a spark.
He is filling in nicely for DWill but we need DWill if we want to have any chance this season and going forward.

Agree with SMC007 that he will get more of Felton and Devin minutes but matchups will dictate.
I seriously think Barea's recent play will have the FO thinking about trading Felton who is probably our best trade asset right now.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-31-2015 at 03:41 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:33 PM   #8
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs need Williams when he's back. He can have Felton's minutes and some of Harris, but Harris is coming around slowly...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
Mavs need Williams when he's back. He can have Felton's minutes and some of Harris, but Harris is coming around slowly...
It is a luxury to have all of them. However backup center is a necessity imo so I wouldn't mind seeing one of them get moved for a solid backup center if one becomes available for the right price.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-31-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:22 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I still think it's more than just an energy spark off the bench. Three of these last five games are Chris Paul worthy. And the team now has defenders in Matthews and Harris that can cover up his size and lack of defense.

You can maybe start Williams once Barea cools off a bit, but you definitely don't just do it because Williams "deserves" to start the second he is cleared to play. That would be foolish IMO.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #11
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I still think it's more than just an energy spark off the bench. Three of these last five games are Chris Paul worthy. And the team now has defenders in Matthews and Harris that can cover up his size and lack of defense.

You can maybe start Williams once Barea cools off a bit, but you definitely don't just do it because Williams "deserves" to start the second he is cleared to play. That would be foolish IMO.
If you start Barea over DWill you might as well kiss DWill goodbye after this season.
This team needs talent and shouldn't let it get away that easily. Barea will adjust much easier than DWill.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:17 PM   #12
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

Well the Mavs have gotten key wins from Deron just like what JJ has been doing. Even if Deron isn't producing the first 5 minutes. I can see Carlisle rolling with JJ majority of that game. You just gotta have Deron start. JJ could perhaps be the 6th man we have needed since terry left.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #13
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

JJ is on a career high type hot streak. It's not sustainable and he's not going to continue hitting 70% from 3 but while he is shooting like that why do anything to disrupt that rhythm? Especially considering the awful start to the season he had. IMO Dwil is the starter and will be once again I'd just wait till JJ comes down to earth(and hamstring injuries can linger). It's not like a "good shooting" streak, he's setting career highs in 2 of 4 games with 7 3's in a game and a points high in the other. No way Dwil gets bent out of shape over JJ getting the nod with those kind of numbers IMO.

I also have this fear of reading GDT if RC benches JJ and he shoots 1-10 and we lose... Coming off our best or 2nd best(clippers) win of the season where even without Curry was still impressive to be up 30 at one point, and a 4 game win streak(2nd longest of the season I believe) just doesn't seem like the time to put him back in.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 01-01-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #14
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
JJ is on a career high type hot streak. It's not sustainable and he's not going to continue hitting 70% from 3 but while he is shooting like that why do anything to disrupt that rhythm? Especially considering the awful start to the season he had. IMO Dwil is the starter and will be once again I'd just wait till JJ comes down to earth(and hamstring injuries can linger). It's not like a "good shooting" streak, he's setting career highs in 2 of 4 games with 7 3's in a game and a points high in the other. No way Dwil gets bent out of shape over JJ getting the nod with those kind of numbers IMO.

I also have this fear of reading GDT if RC benches JJ and he shoots 1-10 and we lose... Coming off our best or 2nd best(clippers) win of the season where even without Curry was still impressive to be up 30 at one point, and a 4 game win streak(2nd longest of the season I believe) just doesn't seem like the time to put him back in.
If JJ keeps this up teams will start planning defenses to stop him. That will be tougher to do with 2nd units so I say don't mess with our starting unit. You want to give JJ Felton and Devin minutes that's one thing but this team needs to build core chemistry and messing with the lineup because guys have hot hands is not going to help that cause.

If DWill is 80% then yeah keep Barea as the starter but when DWill is 100% he has to be our starter. The guy is a proven all-star and the exact same age as JJ.