Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default PGT: Mavs lay an egg

Nothing much to see here

10pt 1st
No defense for 4 quarters

Maybe we partied too hard last night.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like we got our answer for guard rotation...

Harris will be out "a while" having back spasms
Old 01-02-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

what a way to start the year - dud.
I'm going with Erica's supposition - New Years' partying took it's toll.
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately one of the few games I was able to catch live this season. Ugly.

I was wondering why Rick didn't give McGee more burn against the athletic Whiteside especially since he gave us an early spark. But that's not a decider in a 24-pt blowout anyway.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #5
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

January is going to see a lot of growing pains, but if they can go .500 @ 9-9 for the month with no serious injuries, Id consider that a success. 7 b2b...Dirk needs to find his stroke as well.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Unfortunately one of the few games I was able to catch live this season. Ugly.

I was wondering why Rick didn't give McGee more burn against the athletic Whiteside especially since he gave us an early spark. But that's not a decider in a 24-pt blowout anyway.
McGee is a box of rocks player. He possesses rare talent and athleticism for the position, but the IQ will never be there.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
January is going to see a lot of growing pains, but if they can go .500 @ 9-9 for the month with no serious injuries, Id consider that a success. 7 b2b...Dirk needs to find his stroke as well.
I actually think Dirk needs to take a back seat and let the rest of the team cover up on offense. It's pretty clear that Dirk is tired in large part because of playing this summer. Having a midseason lull was inevitable. I care about Dirk being rested now and then seriously upping the minutes in March and April.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

These slow starts are killing us in several ways. Besides digging a hole RC starts scrambling to find chemistry by throwing anyone and everyone into the game which often compounds the problem.

I'd like to see the rotation tighten up a bit and start holding guys more accountable from the beginning. I'm all for riding the hot hand but if RC has to go through the entire lineup to find one that indicates an issue with our core as a whole.

I still think Felton (and possibly one of Evans, CV, McGee or Mejri) for a solid backup Center needs to happen.
Then go with a 9 man max rotation of:

DWill/Barea
Matthews/Harris
Parsons/Matthews
Dirk/Powell
Zaza/Backup acquired in Felton trade
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
These slow starts are killing us in several ways. Besides digging a hole RC starts scrambling to find chemistry by throwing anyone and everyone into the game which often compounds the problem.

I'd like to see the rotation tighten up a bit and start holding guys more accountable from the beginning. I'm all for riding the hot hand but if RC has to go through the entire lineup to find one that indicates an issue with our core as a whole.

I still think Felton (and possibly one of Evans, CV, McGee or Mejri) for a solid backup Center needs to happen.

DWill/Barea
Matthews/Harris
Parsons/Matthews
Dirk/Powell
Harris will be out awhile with back spasms. We really need Felton. And I dont see any competent backup center acquired for our throwaways.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #10
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

DWill/Barea
Matthews/Harris
Parsons/Matthews
Dirk/Powell
Could you perhaps throw few realistic names for that trade so we could understand better what do you mean by a solid backup?
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #11
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
Could you perhaps throw few realistic names for that trade so we could understand better what do you mean by a solid backup?
IDK of any off hand but even if we have to part with Anderson and/or Jenkins to upgrade backup center then I'd still consider it if someone useful becomes available.

I'm wondering why I'm the only one that seems to be concerned that we have two 7 footers on our bench in their prime (age wise) who can't get any PT. This is the same situation as last season as Tyson was gassed by the end of the season and we're doing the same to Zaza. If RC isn't going to play them there must be someone out there who he will. We are currently a Zaza injury away from being a lotto team.

The funny thing is that I was suggesting on this board and others to trade for Zaza last season as a backup for Chandler. Now I find myself doing basically the same for Zaza. Not saying there is a Zaza caliber backup out there this time but this team is in serious need of an upgrade over McGee...or at least someone who RC will play.

Last edited by rimrocker; 01-02-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Mavs don't match up well against Miami. I wouldn't totally freak out about a loss like this, although it was sad to see how badly they got beat.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
IDK of any off hand but even if we have to part with Anderson and/or Jenkins to upgrade backup center then I'd still consider it if someone useful becomes available.

I'm wondering why I'm the only one that seems to be concerned that we have two 7 footers on our bench in their prime (age wise) who can't get any PT. This is the same situation as last season as Tyson was gassed by the end of the season and we're doing the same to Zaza. If RC isn't going to play them there must be someone out there who he will. We are currently a Zaza injury away from being a lotto team.

The funny thing is that I was suggesting on this board and others to trade for Zaza last season as a backup for Chandler. Now I find myself doing basically the same for Zaza. Not saying there is a Zaza caliber backup out there this time but this team is in serious need of an upgrade over McGee...or at least someone who RC will play.
Youre exactly right. But just like last season, and now this season, there is no backup centers to be acquired in trade for our bottom players. Id like to not part with Anderson yet. Not a big fan, but he's 3 months into his rookie year. Cuban is probably sniffing around at whats out there though..
Old 01-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #14
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I don't think you're the only one concerned about it. Question is what other options are available.

Just for fun I ran through all teams and checked players 7 feet or taller. Pretty much McGee is top of the crop - when we're talking about backup bigs.

It saddens me that Spurs are so deep. No way Mavs could get Marjanovic from them. He is a giant and is able to set decent picks. SAS has no need for anything that Mavs can offer them though.

LAC has Aldrich but they are even thinner at their frontline than Mavs. Mavs could do straight up McGee for Robert Sacre of LAL. Lakers could be even interested in it but I can't say how much better Sacre would be compared to what the Mavs have right now.

Interesting option would be with Pelicans. You could do Felton for Ajinca. Probably need something more to convince them though. Perhaps Felton + McGee would be enough.

If only Pacers would be out of playoff race, then perhaps Mahinmi would be available...

But one guy I really would like to see playing with and behind Dirk is Donatas Motiejunas. If Beverley or Lawson would go down for longer term, he could be available since D-Mo has been out of favor for most of his Rockets' tenure. McHale wanted him to be more low post player and didn't use his range. He has lost his minutes to Capela and you would have to throw McGee in the deal for sure.

Just for fun I would throw in a name like Nikola Pekovic. You could do it for Felton+Harris. It would be a salary dump move by T-Wolves but when healthy, Pekovic can really play. This move would mess with Mavs ability to acquire someone in the offseason but he could be as good as getting Noah in the summer. Also guard position would be shaky.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #15
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't think you're the only one concerned about it. Question is what other options are available.

Just for fun I ran through all teams and checked players 7 feet or taller. Pretty much McGee is top of the crop - when we're talking about backup bigs.

It saddens me that Spurs are so deep. No way Mavs could get Marjanovic from them. He is a giant and is able to set decent picks. SAS has no need for anything that Mavs can offer them though.

LAC has Aldrich but they are even thinner at their frontline than Mavs. Mavs could do straight up McGee for Robert Sacre of LAL. Lakers could be even interested in it but I can't say how much better Sacre would be compared to what the Mavs have right now.

Interesting option would be with Pelicans. You could do Felton for Ajinca. Probably need something more to convince them though. Perhaps Felton + McGee would be enough.

If only Pacers would be out of playoff race, then perhaps Mahinmi would be available...

But one guy I really would like to see playing with and behind Dirk is Donatas Motiejunas. If Beverley or Lawson would go down for longer term, he could be available since D-Mo has been out of favor for most of his Rockets' tenure. McHale wanted him to be more low post player and didn't use his range. He has lost his minutes to Capela and you would have to throw McGee in the deal for sure.

Just for fun I would throw in a name like Nikola Pekovic. You could do it for Felton+Harris. It would be a salary dump move by T-Wolves but when healthy, Pekovic can really play. This move would mess with Mavs ability to acquire someone in the offseason but he could be as good as getting Noah in the summer. Also guard position would be shaky.
Nice work!!!

Maybe I'm missing something with McGee but it just seems to me RC doesn't want to play him for some reason.
This seems to be a trend since the 2011 season with only having one center and virtually no protection as a backup.

Rick seems so enamored with small ball and undersized centers that it appears he doesn't even want a true backup center in his system.

Personally I think they are flirting with disaster going this route and if Zaza holds up and puts up these numbers by April I'll be surprised.

But I agree with your assessment and wouldn't want to screw up any chance at a starter quality center in the off season. Your Ajinca idea is probably our best bet and hell I'd even take Miles Plumlee at this point if I knew he would get minutes. Rick hasn't even given Mejri a look in meaningful situations so he is virtually worthless to us imo.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #16
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not sure if the Pelicans are looking to move Ajinca, but they're very much trying to find a new home for Omer Asik and his 5-year contract...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #17
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Not sure if the Pelicans are looking to move Ajinca, but they're very much trying to find a new home for Omer Asik and his 5-year contract...
Haven't seen the guy that much but isn't his game similar to Zaza's? Isn't he basically a big banger/lane clogger?

I'd even consider Perkins if they'd be willing to part with him. If all we need is a rebounder/defender while the other guys run and gun he might actually work in our system. Not sure what he has left though.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #18
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather roll Powell and McGee out there than use assets to get someone who might not even be better than what we already have. I just don't think a move like that moves the needle enough to warrant losing more assets especially considering how few we have. If it's Felton being moved then ok but if Powell or Anderson are involved I'll pass. A move that involves a young asset would need to be an all in type move and I don't think Mavs are quite there with 2 guys who may take the majority of this season just getting their basketball comfort back.

Also McGee in limited minutes is holding players to 12.5% less than their season average in the paint. Way better than any of the bigs being listed here. And even though I don't know of a great measure for individual defense as far as stats that is at least encouraging to me. He and Parsons seem to be hooking up more often in the PnR as well as they get time on the court together. I think unless someone much much better is available I'd rather hold off.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote