Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Dirk as 6th Man?
Yes, it's what's best for the team at this point 20 66.67%
No, legends never come off the bench 10 33.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dirk as 6th Man?

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki says he would be willing to transition to sixth man

Tim MacMahon, ESPNDallas.com
DALLAS -- Dirk Nowitzki, a 13-time All-Star and the face of the Dallas Mavericks' franchise, would be willing to come off the bench if it's in the team's best interests next season.

One potential scenario would be Nowitzki transitioning to a sixth man role if the Mavs are successful in what sources say is their planned pursuit of Portland Trail Blazers power forward LaMarcus Aldridge, a Dallas native and perennial All-Star who will be a free agent this summer.

"Yeah, I mean, whatever it takes," Nowitzki said during the Mavs' exit interviews Wednesday. "I've always said that. My last two years I want to enjoy. I want to be a good team. I want to be on a winning team. Playoffs. Hopefully deep runs. So, yeah, anything I've got to do to help is obviously no question."

The 36-year-old Nowitzki, the 2011 Finals MVP and seventh-leading scorer in NBA history, has repeatedly proven that he's willing to sacrifice to maximize the Mavs' chances of competing for another championship.

Nowitzki, who has never had an agent, has negotiated hometown-discount deals on his last two contracts. He signed a four-year, $80 million deal in the summer of 2010, taking $16 million less than he would have made on a maximum contract. He took a significantly steeper discount last summer, signing a three-year, $25 million deal that gave the Mavs enough flexibility to sign small forward Chandler Parsons as a restricted free agent and attempt to recruit Aldridge or Los Angeles Clippers center DeAndre Jordan this summer.

"With a guy of Dirk's character and level of loyalty and level of love for this franchise and this city, he's demonstrated pretty thoroughly that he's willing to make any sacrifice possible," coach Rick Carlisle said. "He's made great financial sacrifices to get the team better around him, so it doesn't surprise me that he said that [he is willing to become a sixth man].

"Is it possible? It's possible. Is it likely? I'm not sure about that. But the fact that you've got a guy who is basically an iconic player in this league willing to even talk about something like that is character just above and beyond the norm. It's just another reason why we're all privileged to have a chance to work with this guy."

Nowitzki's production slipped during his 17th NBA season, but he was still selected to the All-Star Game for the 13th time in 14 years. He averaged 17.3 points and 5.9 rebounds as the Mavs carefully managed his minutes (29.6 per game, the lowest since his rookie season).

The possibility of Nowitzki coming off the bench for the remainder of his golden years hasn't been a subject of much discussion within the Mavs, but it is in play as they make their plans to remodel the roster of a 50-win team this summer.

"As Dirk, we have the best interest of the Mavericks [in mind]," Dallas president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said. "If we feel it's in our best interest, whether it's acquiring a player, and Dirk is selfless enough to swallow that pill, then we'll make that decision from a coaching perspective with Rick and [owner Mark Cuban].

"Again, I'm almost speechless about what Dirk has done for this franchise and continues to do. It just doesn't cease to amaze me."

Nowitzki did express one practical concern about coming off the bench.

"I mean, the problem is there would some stiffness coming off the bench," Nowitzki said. "I'm usually not the most mobile, agile player, but there are bikes and stuff in the back that you can ride and get loose."
Dirk would be a killer scoring punch off the bench, save himself from wear & tear on defense/rebounding, and keep fresh to play heavier minutes in the playoffs.... But the Mavs would need a PF who can justify moving him to the bench first.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-29-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

If it means getting Lamarcus Aldridge, absolutely. It would be a little more complicated had Dirk not taken a step back this year, but he clearly has. A 6th man role would be ideal for him and the team at this point. Not saying he isn't starter quality anymore, but if you can get a top 3 power forward in his prime, you do it. And Dirk wouldn't be offended at all. This man took our $23mill contract over a $100mill contract from the Rockets/Lakers... pretty sure he's bought in to what Cuban and Donnie are trying to do.
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

You summed up my thoughts exactly on the OP.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

If Aminu and Parsons play it a SF/PF combo. Then Dirk off the bench for either could be a good idea athletic wise.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
If Aminu and Parsons play it a SF/PF combo. Then Dirk off the bench for either could be a good idea athletic wise.
I was thinking that could be a possibility as well (assuming we don't land Aldridge).

Old 04-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the same boat thinking it would be great to go into next season with Aminu starting at the four with Dirk slaying second units off the bench. He can still get like 26mpg or thereabouts...
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #7
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I was thinking that could be a possibility as well (assuming we don't land Aldridge).
But I'd think Monta off bench can make that combo even better. Which I highly doubt Monta agrees to it, then leaves getting payed more somewhere. Wesley Matthews I think could work starting at SG with Parsons and Aminu lineup.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:38 PM   #8
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Why does everyone think he'd come off the bench and dominate? He'd be even more stiff. Much tougher for his body to get into a rhythm
Old 04-30-2015, 12:14 AM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Dirk not being announced every night for AMINU?

Really?

Aldridge I understand but Aminu? He had basically washed out of the league until the Mavs gave him a chance. Who knows if he's going to sustain his good play. Wasn't so long ago that Roddy B was the flavor of the month and we all remember how that played out.

Show Dirk the respect he deserves - he gave up his money and is willing to give up his starting spot in the right situation. But not for the likes of Aminu
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #10
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

I brought this up in the beginning of this season....it seems to make basketball sense at this point in Dirk's career and Dirk would probably look like his old self against second units. Dirk would torch second units.

I am all for it....and so is Dirk...I am sure he is not worried about being "announced".
Old 04-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
I am sure he is not worried about being "announced".
I'm sure he not worried about it either

Doesn't make it right either - show the man the respect a LEGEND deserves

Final years
Kareem STARTER
*Kobe STARTER
Karl Malone STARTER
Jorday STARTER
Shaq STARTER
Moses Malone RESERVE (but never exceeded 5.3 ppg his final 3 years)
Hayes RESERVE (5.0 ppg in last year)
Hakeem STARTER
Wilkens RESERVE (5.0 ppg in last year)
*Duncan STARTER
*Garnett STARTER
*Pierce STARTER

Malone, Hayes, and Wilkens were DONE in their last years. Unless he's hanging on too long (which Dirk won't) this town needs to show him the respect a legend deserves.

I know we've never had a basketball legend in our town before and it might be a long time before we do again but that is how you show respect for their career
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The real question is whether Dirk wants to keep starting or to take a ride in the backseat and enjoy his remaining time on the Mavs. I got the sense this season that he is ready for other guys to handle the heavy lifting and so I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make with him coming off the bench. He'll still be in the late 20 mpg range either way.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Dirk already plays significant minutes with/against the second unit as Dallas rotations subbed him out first and he would come back in with the bench. But I just don't see any success starting Aminu over Dirk unless Aminu takes a huge, like All-Star huge, leap this off-season. I think really this is a way for Dirk to soft recruit Lamarcus Aldridge. Honestly, since both teams are done this season and both Parsons and Aldridge will be having surgery that somehow they end up together to talk in the very near future. However, I'd rather see Jordan signed at C starting next to Dirk and Aminu play true 6th man minutes (30+) backing up both 4 and 5.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
I'm sure he not worried about it either

Doesn't make it right either - show the man the respect a LEGEND deserves

Final years
Kareem STARTER
*Kobe STARTER
Karl Malone STARTER
Jorday STARTER
Shaq STARTER
Moses Malone RESERVE (but never exceeded 5.3 ppg his final 3 years)
Hayes RESERVE (5.0 ppg in last year)
Hakeem STARTER
Wilkens RESERVE (5.0 ppg in last year)
*Duncan STARTER
*Garnett STARTER
*Pierce STARTER

Malone, Hayes, and Wilkens were DONE in their last years. Unless he's hanging on too long (which Dirk won't) this town needs to show him the respect a legend deserves.

I know we've never had a basketball legend in our town before and it might be a long time before we do again but that is how you show respect for their career
And aren't we lucky that we have a legend in our midst who breaks the mold? We have a player who is entirely unlike any of those names you mentioned above. I feel like you are the one who doesn't know how to show Dirk respect. Dirk doesn't care about starting, Dirk cares about winning. Putting a player in the starting five to the detriment of the team's overall play might be how you show respect to a diva like Shaq or Kobe, but not Dirk. His respect comes in the form of some hand jewelry.

Last edited by DavidDaMonkey; 04-30-2015 at 10:04 AM.
DavidDaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #15
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk is a Mav and will do whatever is best for his team. If going to the bench would facilitate a move to bring in a star player he would do it in a heartbeat.

People shouldn't put Dirk in the same category with other players...he is a special player.

But it would also help preserve him imo and he will often get better looks against 2nd tier players which will allow him to keep putting up great individual numbers that we all want to see.

He's also very smart and probably realizes his time is fading and his role should transition into more of mentor than a catalyst.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #16
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk's Knee View Post
Dirk already plays significant minutes with/against the second unit as Dallas rotations subbed him out first and he would come back in with the bench. But I just don't see any success starting Aminu over Dirk unless Aminu takes a huge, like All-Star huge, leap this off-season. I think really this is a way for Dirk to soft recruit Lamarcus Aldridge. Honestly, since both teams are done this season and both Parsons and Aldridge will be having surgery that somehow they end up together to talk in the very near future. However, I'd rather see Jordan signed at C starting next to Dirk and Aminu play true 6th man minutes (30+) backing up both 4 and 5.
This is what Id like to see as well. However, I get the feeling Jordan is just playing Dallas to get his paycheck in Los Angeles
Old 04-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #17
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

Agree with what many have said here:
Whether or not Dirk should start or come off the bench is something that should be detetmined based on how the roster looks after the team makes the strongest moves it can this summer.

With Dirk saying he is willing to come off the bench if it helps the team win, it is ludicrous to suggest he can't come off the bench due to legendary status. The team can show its respect for Dirk better by helping him win. He has said that is what he wants. And Dirk coming off the bench to play 18 minutes a night, averaging 12 points a game CAN help the team under the right circumstances.

Last edited by bunkmoreland; 04-30-2015 at 12:11 PM.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #18
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

I think vets do better as a starter. Just cut his minutes more.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:40 PM   #19
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

If Dirk is ok with it then I am too. Just because he doesn't start the game doesn't mean he doesn't finish the game in the 4th. The main concern would be floor spacing with the first unit. Dirk being on the floor creates driving lanes for others because defenses can't sag off of him.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
I agree with you, actually. Dirk may be the most amazing human being and player we've ever seen and willing to do anything for this team, but he's better off starting games.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #21
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
Agreed, HOFers have a routine. The coach can control the player's minutes, Sloan was very disciplined with that in Stockton's later years, capping it at 24.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #22
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

If Carlisle thinks it benefits the team and Dirk is ok with that then that's all that matters.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #23
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Closing a game is more important that starting.
Doesn't matter as long as he's on the floor in crunch time.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #24
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
If Carlisle thinks it benefits the team and Dirk is ok with that then that's all that matters.
With Ellis still on the team? Dirk wouldn't see the ball in the last 2 minutes anyway.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #25
bilease

bilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to behold

If having Dirk as 6th man is what it takes to get Aldridge (just saying, not expecting it), then Im fine with doing it. He doesnt have a problem with it so why should we? I dont agree with "legends have to start", if you can get an outstanding allstar in his prime by moving the legend to the bench, you do it. Not only would it benefit the team it'd also be amazing if Dirk wins 6th man of the year, his performance last year was certainly good enough to get the award. Moving to the bench late in his career and adding another award to his resume at age 37 (probably the oldest ever) would just underline what a great player he is. A lot of "ifs" included obviously, but why argue against Dirk being a bench player this late in his career? It could be a tactical advantage and doesnt mean he gets no respect from the team or anything like that.

Last edited by bilease; 04-30-2015 at 03:43 PM.
bilease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #26
rimrocker
Diamond Member

So if we sign Aldridge that means either Tyson or Ellis are gone...right?

If so then....

Barea/Harris
Parsons/Draft Pick/Ledo?
Aminu/RJ
Aldridge/Dirk/Powell
Chandler/(Felton+2nd rounder)/Sarge

I could live with that lineup.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #27
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk's Knee View Post
Dirk already plays significant minutes with/against the second unit as Dallas rotations subbed him out first and he would come back in with the bench. But I just don't see any success starting Aminu over Dirk unless Aminu takes a huge, like All-Star huge, leap this off-season.
This is how I feel. I'm glad Dirk is willing, but just because he is willing doesn't mean Aminu should start. Dirk already comes off the floor pretty quick and spends plenty of time vs bench units. I'd like to see the rest of the starting lineup but people complained about space with only CP and Dirk spacing the floor this last year. Aminu shot well in the playoffs but 29% from 3pt on the year, most of them in the corner, So how does that fix spacing issues? Depends on who we get but if it's Aminu or Dirk, I choose Dirk starting.

My only caveat is Ellis. If Ellis is back and starting then I'm ok with Aminu starting since we can't cover anybody with Ellis and vet min pg with Dirk. I just hope the pg can shoot cuz that's some awful spacing and Ellis will find it much harder to get in the paint with Aminu on the floor over Dirk if only CP is spacing the floor. And those wanting CP to get a bigger role would be disappointed likely. I can't see CP being a play-maker with non-shooters all around him.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #28
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post

If so then....

Barea/Harris
Parsons/Draft Pick/Ledo?
Aminu/RJ
Aldridge/Dirk/Powell

We released Ledo to bring back Sarge... Pretty sure he signed with the Knicks -- not sure what his contract status is right now.

I'm not a big fan of that lineup, but it's a nice start. I doubt it would be hard to lure vet-mins with Aldridge on board though.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-30-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #29
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Agreed, HOFers have a routine. The coach can control the player's minutes, Sloan was very disciplined with that in Stockton's later years, capping it at 24.
Yeah 24 minutes should keep Dirk fresh.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #30
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
We released Ledo to bring back Sarge... Pretty sure he signed with the Knicks -- not sure what his contract status is right now.

I'm not a big fan of that lineup, but it's a nice start. I doubt it would be hard to lure vet-mins with Aldridge on board though.
The one issue that I could see with signing Aldridge is that we would be compromising either the frontcourt or backcourt significantly.
With him and Dirk playing the same position and being a mess playing together we'd always have one of our best players on the bench. That would be okay in regular season but could pose problems in POs or crunch time situations.

With Jordan being 3 yrs younger than Aldridge (almost to the day) and a better fit with Dirk I'd almost rather go after him and start developing Powell.
Jordan/Parsons/Aminu/Powell/Our pick and some cap space in a few years would be a nice semi-rebuild situation as Dirk fades into retirement.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-30-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:48 PM   #31
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

If LA comes to Dallas, then having Dirk transition to the 6th man role makes sense. I think that in any other case, this line of thinking is premature. First, we really don't know to what extent the Rondo failed experiment had on overall performance this past year. Did his poor attitude and lack of engagement create a systemic problem in the locker room that affected Monta, Dirk, and the rest? I don't think we really know the answer to that, so to assume Dirk has made a significant decline seems like a knee jerk reaction to me. After all, Dirk did average a double-double in the playoffs. That's not too shabby. Also, the second string center had similar deficiencies on defense. That may have been due to his late arrival or fall out from Rondo, or Amar'e might just be an inadequate defender. The point being, with Amar'e playing 12-18 minutes a night at the 5, Dirk's difficulties on the defensive end are going to be amplified. We can even take this a step further and point to Charlie V. as a backup 4. Charlie is yet another defensive liability. Perhaps another line of thinking would be to concentrate on signing backups at the 4 and 5 that are above average defenders.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #32
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post

If so then....

Barea/Harris
Parsons/Draft Pick/Ledo?
Aminu/RJ
Aldridge/Dirk/Powell

That's looks unbalanced. Mavs would be very low in scoring
Old 04-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #33
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Its worth mentioning that Dirk's defensive effort might pick up NEXT season if he is playing less.

Fresher legs could be a good thing all around for the Big German.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #34
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

If we get LMA (which I doubt) I'm for it
Old 05-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #35
Jproxursoxoff

Jproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to beholdJproxursoxoff is a splendid one to behold

I don't know if it's for the best. Depends on who we get. Also, call me crazy, but I think Dirk is gonna completely rediscover his shooting touch. Also I selfishly hope he doesn't play for Germany this summer.
Jproxursoxoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #36
bilease

bilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to beholdbilease is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproxursoxoff View Post
I don't know if it's for the best. Depends on who we get. Also, call me crazy, but I think Dirk is gonna completely rediscover his shooting touch. Also I selfishly hope he doesn't play for Germany this summer.
Im selfish and hope he does play so I can drive 2 hours and watch him play instead of flying across the globe (which, if everything works out, I do next season/aiming for playoffs). I doubt hes playing major minutes anyway so it might help him to shake some rust off before the NBA season starts, just have to make sure he doesnt play too much. But he's smart enough to plan that accordingly
bilease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #37
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Its worth mentioning that Dirk's defensive effort might pick up NEXT season if he is playing less.

Fresher legs could be a good thing all around for the Big German.
I'm not sure that the problem was fatigue. I think he just can't move his feet that quick anymore to stay in front of his man.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:22 AM   #38
Underdog

So, ummm, is it too soon to bump this thread?

Not only does Dirk look out of step with the rest of this team, but it's gonna be damn hard to justify keeping Noel out of the starting lineup if he keeps playing like he did today...

Old 10-19-2017, 07:40 AM   #39
BPo001
Diamond Member

Too early. It was the first game. Give the guys some time to mesh and get their conditioning up. Dirk had plenty of good looks playing with Athens starters he just missed the shots.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:11 AM   #40
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So, ummm, is it too soon to bump this thread?

Not only does Dirk look out of step with the rest of this team, but it's gonna be damn hard to justify keeping Noel out of the starting lineup if he keeps playing like he did today...
Again, for me its not important if he starts or not. Also with our backup guards Barea/Harris Noel gets probably more plays with the 2nd unit than with the starters. So its a great fit for him in the 2nd unit too.

The only thing that matters are his total minutes. And without Ricks/Dirks brainfart in the 4th Noel would have been in the high 20s...

Last edited by sefant77; 10-19-2017 at 09:12 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote