Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-25-2018, 11:41 PM   #441
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Solid points, I'd add that if you're not able to build your team into a contender while your draft picks are still on rookie contracts like Boston and Golden State, you end up a middling playoff team with huge contracts -- Toronto, Washington, Portland, etc.

Where you probably lose me is implying $25 million to Clint Capela is a vast overpayment. It's only a slight one, IMO.
Toronto, Washington, Portland... what do they have in common?
their 2 best players are in the backcourt and they don't have much else...
Lowry/Derozan
Wall/Beal
Lillard/Mccollum

I hope we don't turn out to be like them. probably will need a 3rd cog to add to DSJ/Doncic down the road. not sure if Dirk has enough left and don't think Barnes is that guy (would love to be wrong). Until we get that 3rd piece, no sense in spending big assets on role players. Try to develop your own role players, hope you hit the jackpot on high potential, keep giving yourself chances to hit it big on another cornerstone piece.
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2018, 12:53 AM   #442
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
Toronto, Washington, Portland... what do they have in common?

their 2 best players are in the backcourt and they don't have much else...

Lowry/Derozan

Wall/Beal

Lillard/Mccollum

I hope we don't turn out to be like them. probably will need a 3rd cog to add to DSJ/Doncic down the road. not sure if Dirk has enough left and don't think Barnes is that guy (would love to be wrong). Until we get that 3rd piece, no sense in spending big assets on role players. Try to develop your own role players, hope you hit the jackpot on high potential, keep giving yourself chances to hit it big on another cornerstone piece.

If they are not able to find one in the draft by 2021 then there is a good chance can get that guy in free agency. The free agent class is really good that year.
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:56 AM   #443
3_Ball

3_Ball is a jewel in the rough3_Ball is a jewel in the rough3_Ball is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Solid points, I'd add that if you're not able to build your team into a contender while your draft picks are still on rookie contracts like Boston and Golden State, you end up a middling playoff team with huge contracts -- Toronto, Washington, Portland, etc.

Where you probably lose me is implying $25 million to Clint Capela is a vast overpayment. It's only a slight one, IMO.
I agree. Very good point! I’m for sure concerned about the time window now in place with DSJ, Doncic & Brunson all on rookie deals. Adding to that concern is being down an asset, next year’s 1st, and a fairly low stockpile of draft picks overall. Making the right selection with future draft picks VERY important for this nucleus, and the only real way for us to add more draft picks (thereby increasing our room for error) is using our cap space to take on a bad contract & collect a draft pick(s).

If the Mavs choose to pay Cousins or whoever, then fine. I’ll trust them because they took Doncic & it’s apparent the FO has a plan. That said, it’s fair to point out the cap space doesn’t have to be used on a veteran player.

I don’t think Capela being paid $25 mil/year is necessarily an “overpayment”. But, like the video points out, it certainly isn’t an underpayment & that should be the goal. I don’t wanna see the Mavs treat this FA period like Major League Baseball treats Free Agent Pitching i.e. we have a hole, let’s start at the top of the menu & order.

Other posters have mentioned Alex Len. I’m not talking about him specifically, but someone in that mold. Thought to have talent at one time, but underperformed with last team. That’s what the Spurs did with Danny Green. It might be a lot to ask for, but maybe no more riskier than committing $20+ mil of your salary cap to a player that will have questions tied to him: Capela (how much of his production was HOU’ system?) Boogie (How’s the Achilles?) DeAndre (Does his limited game still have a place in today’s game? Particularly, in the playoffs?!)

Imo, going after a “5” or a “Big” shouldn’t even be the goal. The objective would be to find undervalued players. This team isn’t one player away, so add wherever you can. When you have a roster assembled like BOS where you have 2 quality PGs & too many wings for the min available, then you can zero in on a big.

Last edited by 3_Ball; 06-26-2018 at 01:05 AM.
3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #444
Zaman314125

Zaman314125 will become famous soon enoughZaman314125 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs#1Fan View Post
What is the thought of bringing back Tyson Chandler? He should be available and he's only got a year left on his contract.

And Alex Len is a guy who might be intriguing as a flyer
Isn't Tyson Chandler like 35? I wouldn't mind Chandler, I just don't think the Mavs would go down that route.

On the other hand, I believe DeAndre Jordan will be the Mavs priority and Alex Len is looking like the backup plan.
Zaman314125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:21 AM   #445
3_Ball

3_Ball is a jewel in the rough3_Ball is a jewel in the rough3_Ball is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I know we are addressing the center position but I want Powell to start at the 4 because of his hustle and pnr. He has tremendous hands and finishes lobs really well. If he keeps trending with his mid and perimeter shot he will solidify that position with how our team has evolved.
This might sound crazy, but I think Powell, with the aide of Doncic’s court vision, just might be as good over the next 2-3 years as any big we would bring in as a FA.

If anyone, I would target Aaron Gordon. He’s still very young & there’s more room before you get to his ceiling. Playing for one coach & a stable organization with talent around him in defined roles just might make Gordon 2-3x as good. You can’t really say that about Boogie, Capela or DJ

Last edited by 3_Ball; 06-26-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:35 AM   #446
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_Ball View Post
I agree. Very good point! I’m for sure concerned about the time window now in place with DSJ, Doncic & Brunson all on rookie deals. Adding to that concern is being down an asset, next year’s 1st, and a fairly low stockpile of draft picks overall. Making the right selection with future draft picks VERY important for this nucleus, and the only real way for us to add more draft picks (thereby increasing our room for error) is using our cap space to take on a bad contract & collect a draft pick(s).

If the Mavs choose to pay Cousins or whoever, then fine. I’ll trust them because they took Doncic & it’s apparent the FO has a plan. That said, it’s fair to point out the cap space doesn’t have to be used on a veteran player.

I don’t think Capela being paid $25 mil/year is necessarily an “overpayment”. But, like the video points out, it certainly isn’t an underpayment & that should be the goal. I don’t wanna see the Mavs treat this FA period like Major League Baseball treats Free Agent Pitching i.e. we have a hole, let’s start at the top of the menu & order.

Other posters have mentioned Alex Len. I’m not talking about him specifically, but someone in that mold. Thought to have talent at one time, but underperformed with last team. That’s what the Spurs did with Danny Green. It might be a lot to ask for, but maybe no more riskier than committing $20+ mil of your salary cap to a player that will have questions tied to him: Capela (how much of his production was HOU’ system?) Boogie (How’s the Achilles?) DeAndre (Does his limited game still have a place in today’s game? Particularly, in the playoffs?!)

Imo, going after a “5” or a “Big” shouldn’t even be the goal. The objective would be to find undervalued players. This team isn’t one player away, so add wherever you can. When you have a roster assembled like BOS where you have 2 quality PGs & too many wings for the min available, then you can zero in on a big.

3/60 for Nurkic?
Old 06-26-2018, 01:46 AM   #447
3_Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
3/60 for Nurkic?
I wouldn’t hate that. Another poster here said recently that POR was rumored to be unlikely to let Nurkic go without a fight.

We had a lot of discussion here during the season, particularly during All Star weekend when it was apparent on National TV that DSJ & Aaron Gordon were buddies, about making a play for Aaron Gordon this off-season. He’s just like Capela, a RFA. Where did all that talk go to?

I think you could play Gordon at the 5 & Powell at the 4. You have DSJ & Doncic running the show and you have a team that can fast break with the best of them. Plus, Gordon especially & Powell to a lesser extent, have really improved their 3 point shooting. Gordon is super young & fits with this nucleus‘ time table. I think I prefer him to Capela or Nurkic. Definitely prefer Gordon to Boogie or Jordan.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:35 AM   #448
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I like Powell and I have said I'm all for going after Gordon a few times. But if we roll with Powell and Dirk as our 5 rotation with a sprinkle of mejri we will once again be one of the worst defenses in all of basketball if not the worst.

Last year we literally had every defender sagged off on the perimeter and left dudes wide open to help out inside for Dirk and Powell. And that still didn't matter because according to nba.com we gave up a league worst 65% fg from inside 6 feet. Compare that to how the Jazz said they know they can be ultra aggressive because they know Gobert is behind them. That's comparing 2 extremes but it's because I think the difference in their mindset must be huge. Donovan Mitchell can be all over his guy on the perimeter and he can jump lanes for steals, commit to going for a block, etc because he knows that he has rim protection behind him. Our guys? They sag off an extra 2-3 feet and if someone gets beat everyone falls in to help, shooters be damned, they are bottom 5 in steals and bottom 2 in blocks and they can't crash the boards on offense(another thing we are dead last in) because they have to get back or else it's a red carpet to the rim.

If the goal is to win games Dwight Powell as the primary 5 and Dirk as the backup is not the answer imo. They absolutely need a competent rim protector who doesn't suck in pnr offense to set a tone to start the game and to close out halves and get key stops.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:40 AM   #449
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair though, Capela and DJ can't hit ft's for shit. Which doesn't help with closing halves and getting stops late if they can't even be on the floor. Honestly Alex Len is looking more and more realistic for me and not at all a bad option for a test drive.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:38 AM   #450
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
To be fair though, Capela and DJ can't hit ft's for shit. Which doesn't help with closing halves and getting stops late if they can't even be on the floor. Honestly Alex Len is looking more and more realistic for me and not at all a bad option for a test drive.
Thoughts on Derrick Favors? I think he'd fit seamlessly into the 5 spot for the Mavs.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:59 AM   #451
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Thoughts on Derrick Favors? I think he'd fit seamlessly into the 5 spot for the Mavs.
I think he's actually better than I and others prolly give him credit for. It can't be easy for him, givin his skillset, to play next to Gobert. Both belong in the paint and neither stretches the floor. I gotta think if he wasn't next to Gobert he would have more points and rebs. According to Utah he's a good defender though. Not fantastic but a consistent good defender. And he's also good, although not powell good, in pnr. It would all depend on price for me personally. If the price is too high, and after the better guys are gone, I'd prolly just go cheaper with Len personally.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #452
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Unless it's Capella, give me Favors on a value/shorter deal over any of the top dollar guys tbh

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:25 AM   #453
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This might sound crazy, but I think Powell, with the aide of Doncic’s court vision, just might be as good over the next 2-3 years as any big we would bring in as a FA.
This doesn't sound crazy at all... If we're talking about guys like Len, Gortat, Chandler, or even Howard, then I'd maybe rather just stick with Powell as well... I'm out on Boogie unless our medical staff has faith in his health (I said the same about Porter Jr. and look how that turned out), but I'd still take Capela, Nurkic, or Jordan over him. The list is short.

Although I do feel like Powell is more of a 4 without range than a true 5 -- dude gets pushed around in the paint by smaller guys a lot. That might be fixable, as it appears to have more to do with his footwork/center of gravity than his actual size. No reason to think he can't improve that part of his game, considering how much he improved other parts of his game last season... Or he can work on his jumper and own the PF position.

Quote:
If anyone, I would target Aaron Gordon. He’s still very young & there’s more room before you get to his ceiling. Playing for one coach & a stable organization with talent around him in defined roles just might make Gordon 2-3x as good. You can’t really say that about Boogie, Capela or DJ
If we did decide to roll with what we've got at center, then Aaron Gordon would be an excellent choice -- easily my favorite RFA next to Capela... We'd probably have to move either Barnes or Wes to make the rotations click (depending on if Doncic is being viewed as a 2 or as a 3), but that's something that will work itself out over the next year anyway. Gordon would be a perfect fit with a DSJ/Luka core, both age-wise and talent-wise.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-26-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:30 AM   #454
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Doesn't sound crazy at all.
One of my first thoughts after acquiring Luka was that Powell's game immediately rose to the next level. I hope we acquire an athletic center because I think that type will benefit from Luka and Brunson. I actually love having Powell on THIS team.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #455
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Fish says we plan on bringing back Devin Harris... Okay.
I'm fine with Devin coming back but am wondering if that means Seth will move on.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #456
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I'm fine with Devin coming back but am wondering if that means Seth will move on.
With how many guards we have on this roster, I'd say it's a sure bet that Seth and Yogi will be moving on -- especially if Devin is coming back.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-26-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #457
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
With how many guards we have on this roster, I'd say it's a sure bet that Seth and Yogi will be moving on -- especially if Devin is coming back.
I think I'd rather have Seth over Devin assuming he's healthy.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #458
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Alex Len would be very nice on a remotely cheap prove-it contract.

He could easily average 10/10 with 1,5 Blocks. I wouldnt pay Cancerous Cousins a max or Close with that Achilles. Also doesnt seem to be the guy that Carlisle can work with.

Also Brook Lopez might be in the mix on a Short Deal. Hes atleast a serviceable Rim Protector but lacks Rebounds.

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #459
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t even see how we get Cousins.

We’re only looking at 25-26 mill in cap now

Harris will probably be vet min so he won’t hurt us, but Smart is probably taking 10-15. Do we think we can get Boogie for 10?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #460
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Man, it'd be a really exciting team if we could somehow add Gordon to the mix of DSJ and Doncic.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #461
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I don't get why Smart is so rumored here? He is absolutely not worth $10-15mm and should be more than an afterthought for this team.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #462
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Why would we Need Smart? He cant Shoot so cant put him on SG and we have two premier Ball Handels with DSJ and Brunson and Doncic can also Play the Point.

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #463
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Len has brick hands, pass tbh unless is for real cheap

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.

Last edited by Skywalker; 06-26-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #464
3_Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I don't get why Smart is so rumored here? He is absolutely not worth $10-15mm and should be more than an afterthought for this team.
Smart would easily be the best defender on this team from day 1. I also like his mentality. He has a certain element of nastiness he plays with that lets an opponent know you're not going to intimidate him. It's a bit like Patrick Beverly.

He may not be worth $15 mil, I'd take him for $10 mil. But, by that standard what are we doing with Wes Matthews on the roster for $18.6 mil & Harrison Barnes at $24.1 mil? Because neither of those two players are worth their salaries either. On that note, nobody talks about that Barnes contract, but I absolutely hate it. He is grossly overpaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStandard View Post
Why would we Need Smart? He cant Shoot so cant put him on SG and we have two premier Ball Handels with DSJ and Brunson and Doncic can also Play the Point.
There's two sides to the ball. He can defend, which will help Doncic tremendously by allowing Doncic to take the less challenging defensive assignment & you stick Smart, one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, on the opponent's best wing.

All of this said, I'm not a huge Marcus Smart proponent. It's just a logical FA target for the Mavs. I'm actually having trouble seeing where the confusion lies.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #465
saclare
Platinum Member

Oh, right, because we made arguably bad contracts in the past, we should continue to do so...

Edit: Also, Matthews at $18mm > Smart at $10-15mm all day. Superior defense and offensive contribution, and respected leadership. Not sure why an overpay for Matthews supports a worse overpay for Smart. Who knows, maybe he could suddenly learn to shoot.

Last edited by saclare; 06-26-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #466
3_Ball

Quote:
I like Powell and I have said I'm all for going after Gordon a few times. But if we roll with Powell and Dirk as our 5 rotation with a sprinkle of mejri we will once again be one of the worst defenses in all of basketball if not the worst.

Last year we literally had every defender sagged off on the perimeter and left dudes wide open to help out inside for Dirk and Powell. And that still didn't matter because according to nba.com we gave up a league worst 65% fg from inside 6 feet. Compare that to how the Jazz said they know they can be ultra aggressive because they know Gobert is behind them. That's comparing 2 extremes but it's because I think the difference in their mindset must be huge. Donovan Mitchell can be all over his guy on the perimeter and he can jump lanes for steals, commit to going for a block, etc because he knows that he has rim protection behind him. Our guys? They sag off an extra 2-3 feet and if someone gets beat everyone falls in to help, shooters be damned, they are bottom 5 in steals and bottom 2 in blocks and they can't crash the boards on offense(another thing we are dead last in) because they have to get back or else it's a red carpet to the rim.

If the goal is to win games Dwight Powell as the primary 5 and Dirk as the backup is not the answer imo. They absolutely need a competent rim protector who doesn't suck in pnr offense to set a tone to start the game and to close out halves and get key stops.
Those are terrific points. I'm just not sure the rim protector is there for us at the moment. I know DeAndre Jordan and Capela can protect the rim, but I'm wondering if a better, more cost-effective solution doesn't become available to the Mavericks at a later date. For now, maybe there's merit to letting the young guys figure out how to play defense when you don't have a rim protector behind you. Say we do sign DeAndre Jordan and it's game 7 of the 1st round of the playoffs. Jordan is off the floor in the last 2 minutes due to foul shooting concerns & the Mavs on the floor have to D up their man. Those skills come in handy.

I do agree on Powell. He's suited for the 4 at best. He gives tremendous effort, but he doesn't seem to quite have the size or defensive instincts to play the 5 on defense. I'm not sure Aaron Gordon does either, but you're hoping he could learn.

Quote:
This doesn't sound crazy at all... If we're talking about guys like Len, Gortat, Chandler, or even Howard, then I'd maybe rather just stick with Powell as well... I'm out on Boogie unless our medical staff has faith in his health (I said the same about Porter Jr. and look how that turned out), but I'd still take Capela, Nurkic, or Jordan over him. The list is short.

Although I do feel like Powell is more of a 4 without range than a true 5 -- dude gets pushed around in the paint by smaller guys a lot. That might be fixable, as it appears to have more to do with his footwork/center of gravity than his actual size. No reason to think he can't improve that part of his game, considering how much he improved other parts of his game last season... Or he can work on his jumper and own the PF position.

If we did decide to roll with what we've got at center, then Aaron Gordon would be an excellent choice -- easily my favorite RFA next to Capela... We'd probably have to move either Barnes or Wes to make the rotations click (depending on if Doncic is being viewed as a 2 or as a 3), but that's something that will work itself out over the next year anyway. Gordon would be a perfect fit with a DSJ/Luka core, both age-wise and talent-wise.
We didn't get much of a look at Powell shooting from distance last year, but towards the end of the season he was shooting open 3s with confidence. Quietly he put up his best 3 point shooting #s of his career. 33.3% on 1.1 attempts per game both career highs in terms of % and volume. It's something to build on imo. As opposed to these draft prospects who release video of them hitting open 3 after open 3 from the same position in an empty gym, Powell showed us improvement in game situation. I think Doncic's passing will only provide him better looks. What if Powell can improve to a 35-37% 3 point shooter on 2-2.5 attempts per game over the next 2-3 years? He then becomes a stretch 4, with incredible energy, rebounding & dive cutting to the basket skills.

I agree with you on Aaron Gordon. He could be a very nice fit here. Something I read about Hezonja a few months ago, from a Magic' fan. They were talking about how the Magic jerked Hezonja around. One game he's starting, the next he's a DNP-CD, the next he plays 15 min in the 1st half sits the entire 2nd half, etc. Basically, they were saying that Hezonja was having better production in February because he was getting consistent minutes. I think there's a lot of truth to that idea. I also think the overall concept could apply to Gordon. First they don't want him shooting 3s, then they do. He's had how many coaches in his time there? How many different teammates? He's trying to figure things out with Oladipo, then Elfrid Payton, then Shelvin Mack & DJ Augustin??? I mean, what could Aaron Gordon be if he came to a stable organization like the Mavs, had the same coach (a top 3 coach in the league no less), and had a savant like Doncic finding him with the ball & one of the most athletic PGs in the league in DSJ getting by his defender & finding him for lobs? That could simply be beautiful to watch... and who do you sag off to help if you're the defense in that situation? You go to help protect on Gordon & DSJ just finds Powell for the lob dunk instead or vice versa. You sag the entire paint & DSJ just finds Doncic or McBuckets beyond the arc for a wide open look. That would be fun!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #467
3_Ball

Quote:
Oh, right, because we made arguably bad contracts in the past, we should continue to do so...

Edit: Also, Matthews at $18mm > Smart at $10-15mm all day. Superior defense and offensive contribution, and respected leadership. Not sure why an overpay for Matthews supports a worse overpay for Smart. Who knows, maybe he could suddenly learn to shoot.
You got me there. I'm just saying I wouldn't dislike Smart at 15 mil anymore than Matthews at 18 or Barnes at 24.

His shooting #s are terribad. Doubt he ever puts a season together over 40%. Smh. The defense & toughness are legit tho.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #468
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
You got me there. I'm just saying I wouldn't dislike Smart at 15 mil anymore than Matthews at 18 or Barnes at 24.

His shooting #s are terribad. Doubt he ever puts a season together over 40%. Smh. The defense & toughness are legit tho.
Understand your first point a little better, but still, I want no part of Smart. I agree, his defense and toughness are desirable by most teams, but at DeShawn Stevenson level compensation given his offensive woes.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #469
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take Smart if we were competing. Dude has a Stevenson vibe about him.

Right now I'm more interested in our Chandler or Caron Butler than our crowning defensive expert.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #470
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/sta...37818437918727

Quote:
Among the various options DeAndre Jordan has been weighing, according to league sources, is opting into the final season of his current contract (at $24.1 million) before Friday's midnight deadline to facilitate a trade -- with Dallas, sources say, among the teams interested
Quote:
One source described a Jordan-to-Dallas trade as a "long shot" ... but the fact it's on the board is the strongest indication yet that the sides are willing to engage again after Jordan's about-face in 2015 free agency when he committed to the Mavs and then went back to the Clips
Not really sure what we send in a trade but whatever, I miss posting stein links.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #471
saclare
Platinum Member

Saw that. What could possibly make the Clippers do a deal?
Old 06-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #472
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Not really sure what we send in a trade but whatever, I miss posting stein links.
According Skin, it wouldn't take much to get Jordan, but that is a grain of salt opinion. I will say he was the first to mention the possibility of trading for him.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #473
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:

Matthews works money wise. Not sure what the Clippers would want outside of picks.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #474
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Jordan for Matthews straight-up works.

what we can't trade
first rounder/s
Barnes - unless they dump more salary on us. Seems unlikely though considering that they think our core is Smith, Doncic, and Barnes

What we can add to the trade
5 million in cash,
Second rounders
Powell
Barea
McDermott
Motley
Dirk (could then be bought out, but couldn't come back to play for us)
SnT Curry
SnT Noel
SnT Yogi
SnT Mejri

Heck, maybe they'd just be happy trading 24.1mill expiring for 18.6mill expiring. It gives them 5.5mill in savings. Maybe 5.5mill in savings and a 5mill check from Cuban gets it done.

It at least makes sense for why they'd want Smart. If we traded Matthews for Jordan, then we'd be looking for our 3/D guy.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-26-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #475
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Matthews works money wise. Not sure what the Clippers would want outside of picks.
And they'd be shit out of luck with picks since we traded next year's first and we can't trade consecutive first rounders -- they'd have to wait until 2021... Does a second rounder grease the wheels? Maybe sign-and-trade Seth or Yogi to sweeten the deal?

A trade seems like it would be tricky as hell at this point, but I can see him not wanting to walk away from that money when he can probably get paid next year whatever we'd be offering him this year... Something like 3/60 looks a lot better after he has that $24m in the bank. We might have to do 3/75 or 4/80 to get him to opt out, but would an aging DeAndre Jordan at $20-25m per year be something we want to be stuck with down the line?

Old 06-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #476
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
According Skin, it wouldn't take much to get Jordan, but that is a grain of salt opinion. I will say he was the first to mention the possibility of trading for him.
I think Skin threw out Maxi and 2 2nd rounders. We have the cap room to absorb DJ contract. I kinda hate to give up 2 2nd rounders for what could be a 1 year rental on DJ though.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #477
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want DeAndre if it means giving up actual assets- such as Brunson. He can opt out if he wants to sign here. Willing to forgive the little bitch because he's such a good fit, but giving up assets so he can opt in and make more $: hell to the naw. He owes us one.

The ONLY virtue in trading for him on an opt in is he's in a contract year. Its still not worth it. Why would the Clippers just give him away? Unless he says "I opt out and walk if you don't trade me to Dallas" and they are fine with taking back Wes. Why wouldnt they just let him walk? They'll try to squeeze us for an asset and I'm totally opposed. Its a buyers market.

Last edited by mac222b; 06-26-2018 at 02:06 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #478
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I think Skin threw out Maxi and 2 2nd rounders. We have the cap room to absorb DJ contract. I kinda hate to give up 2 2nd rounders for what could be a 1 year rental on DJ though.
But the Mavs like to give away two second rounders for headcase rental big-men. Seems like their going rate.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-26-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #479
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Smart would easily be the best defender on this team from day 1. I also like his mentality. He has a certain element of nastiness he plays with that lets an opponent know you're not going to intimidate him. It's a bit like Patrick Beverly.

He may not be worth $15 mil, I'd take him for $10 mil. But, by that standard what are we doing with Wes Matthews on the roster for $18.6 mil & Harrison Barnes at $24.1 mil? Because neither of those two players are worth their salaries either. On that note, nobody talks about that Barnes contract, but I absolutely hate it. He is grossly overpaid.

There's two sides to the ball. He can defend, which will help Doncic tremendously by allowing Doncic to take the less challenging defensive assignment & you stick Smart, one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, on the opponent's best wing.

All of this said, I'm not a huge Marcus Smart proponent. It's just a logical FA target for the Mavs. I'm actually having trouble seeing where the confusion lies.
Barnes is more than fine. He came here and improved almost everything with nothing around him. I don't have an issue with his contract either. He's been the exact opposite of Parsons and Wes on making good on contracts that were overpayed up front.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #480
Me.B

Quote:

Cap space. They are in full tear down mode. Would they be willing to take back other expiring deals? Wes and JJ together are $22 mil in expiring contracts. Then Dallas just eats the rest. That would clear the log jam in the back court and still leave the Mavs with about $23 mil to spend in FA. The Clippers would save $2 mil right off the top and still would not be committed to any money beyond this season.