Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-02-2003, 01:53 PM   #1
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I am a journalist with BBC Television in the United Kingdom and I came across your contribution to the Dallas Mavs.com forum.

I work for a BBC programme called Newsnight, which is a little bit like CBS 60 Minutes or ABC Nightline. We are keen to put together a segment exploring the opinions of some members of the American public about the current war with Iraq. I came across the Mavericks and the Dalls Mavs.com website after coming across reports of the recent comments by several Mavericks players - Nash, Van Exel - on this subject.

Would you be willing to talk through your own views about the war at this time? I am trying to contact Mavericks fans who live in or around Dallas, who may well go to the home matches who ultimately might be interestd in filming with the BBC.

I wondered whether you would be willing to speak on the telephone, for background, about your views on this topic. I can assure you that our story is not an attempt to knock the team, but is rather an attempt to explore the feelings of some Americans at this critical time in an interesting way for our audience in the UK.

I would be grateful if you felt able to speak with me and were willing to suggest how and when I might make contact with you in the near future. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Many thanks.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Tristan Quinn
Producer, BBC Newsnight

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2003, 01:59 PM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Nope.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:01 PM   #3
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Am I just special or are they trying to find a redneck in Dallas and I got picked? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 04-02-2003, 02:17 PM   #4
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

you're special alright. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

here's your TV debut, good luck! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 02:24 PM   #5
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

see if you can get courtside tickets out of it.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:25 PM   #6
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

or a media pass - they sure open doors! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 02:29 PM   #7
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

<< see if you can get courtside tickets out of it. >>

Screw that.....I will try to get plane tickets for two and a hotel room in Paris for a week.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2003, 02:34 PM   #8
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

I got it, too.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:37 PM   #9
Smiles
Diamond Member

was it sent on April fools day? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 02:38 PM   #10
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

seems legit enough.

may want to do some background checking on him though to be sure.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/imf/story/...375245,00.html
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:42 PM   #11
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

<< I got it, too. >>

Did you respond back sturm?

Old 04-02-2003, 02:47 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why some got it might have to do with the fact that many of us don't have our email address on our profile.

another reason, some just don't come across in an intelligent manner.

obviously, sturm and umm..ok do
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:50 PM   #13
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

I even checked the email addy and it was a good addy. So at least I know it wasn't a aprils fools joke.

Old 04-02-2003, 03:02 PM   #14
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

did you two post in a Steve's Views thread? Got a link?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 03:38 PM   #15
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

I'm pretty sure I got the email because I represent the minority viewpoint-- that is, I totally support Steve and Nick's right to speak their political mind to the media.

And yes, I posted in the Steve thread a while back because I thought he was being unfairly maligned for simply advocating an opinion that happens to be unpopular among most Mavs fans.

Interesting viewpoint for a story, especially considering it's the BBC. I think all news outlets are running out of creative angles from which to report the war.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:28 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I got the email as well.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:32 PM   #17
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Did ya respond to it?

Old 04-02-2003, 05:37 PM   #18
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Dang it... Evidently Newsday has no use for the like of me. And this, even in the light of my fine &quot;Hurrah for the Brits!&quot; thread...
Old 04-02-2003, 05:39 PM   #19
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh whoops... Maybe it's time to change my profile's place of residence from Bloomington, In, to Dallas, Tx...
Old 04-02-2003, 05:41 PM   #20
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Well I sent a reply back to him this morning wanting certain measures met for me to talk to him, and I have yet to hear back from him. *shrugs*

Guess I am not newsday material.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2003, 06:07 PM   #21
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I got it but I didn't reply.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:25 PM   #22
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I also got it. Debating on what do to with it.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:37 PM   #23
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I fobbed it off to my junior assistant vice press agent.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:51 PM   #24
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't have my profile on so I didn't get the email.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:40 AM   #25
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I think you'd need to have your e-mail address set to viewable in order for this guy to send you an e-mail.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:47 AM   #26
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

I received it...haven't responded yet.

And, for the record, I'm with Sturm on this.

Has anyone responded yet ?
Old 04-03-2003, 10:03 AM   #27
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

I responded and he replied back to me this morning. Still haven't decided if I am going to go through with this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2003, 10:27 AM   #28
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I think the majority of this angle is probably rooted in the following -

1 - Bored international media holds a lot of misconceptions about George Dub.
2 - Bored international media assumes that those misconceptions are all true and that all Texans are just like what they *think* Bush is like.

An example:
I see this a lot on the Springsteen fan site that I read for tour info. In Austin, on March 1, the Boss opened up with a cover of Edwin Starr's &quot;War&quot; - a song that he's been covering for about 20 years. But on this site, which has a huge european following, you'd have thought it was like killing Santa at the North Pole. OH MY GOD, &quot;WAR&quot; IN BUSH'S HOME STATE?!?! There must have been a riot, right? Stetsons burning in the street? Someone in the audience lassoed Bruce and drug him behind their horse, surely?

But, of course, those of us with any sort of perspective on Texas know that Austin's a liberal town, even a Bush-fan like me dug the cover of &quot;War,&quot; and that there were probably 4 cowboy hats in the audience of 16,000 or so.

So, I'm afraid that the only thing Mr. Quinn would like about me would be the Hamilton accent. Well, I do drive a 4x4 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I can't figure out any other reason for taking this angle on a story other than a hope to find an indignant backlash against the Mavs from a bunch of &quot;ignorant Texans.&quot;
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 10:45 AM   #29
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I responded affirmatively to the email and left my phone number. I just got off the phone with Tristan Quinn and he and his crew may be here this weekend. He was asking me about the possibility of bringing his crew to the party Saturday and getting some interviews with the members there.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:46 AM   #30
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Maybe he needs to go to the mavs watching party... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2003, 10:57 AM   #31
sturm und drang
Golden Member

<< I responded affirmatively to the email and left my phone number. I just got off the phone with Tristan Quinn and he and his crew may be here this weekend. He was asking me about the possibility of breaking his crew to the party Saturday and getting some interviews with the members there. >>

Oh, my.

BBC + hotly-debated political topic + beer = ??

This has the potential to be unbelievably entertaining.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:48 AM   #32
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd be cautious. A lot of the British media are trying to drum up the appearance that the American public is not supportive of its troops and this war.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 11:55 AM   #33
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

<< I'd be cautious. A lot of the British media are trying to drum up the appearance that the American public is not supportive of its troops and this war. >>

Well, I don't think they'd get that impression from this crew.

God help the world if the Brits ask a drunken EvilMav for a sound-bite.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:05 PM   #34
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

haha, that's what I was thinking, this would be the last place they would
come to try and get that story Doc.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote