Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result of the game be?
Mavs win by 20+ 1 20.00%
Mavs win by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs win by 1-9 2 40.00%
Mavs lose by 1-9 1 20.00%
Mavs lose by 10-19 1 20.00%
Mavs lose by 20+ 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2020, 04:50 AM   #121
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

That was an awesome pass by Luka (at 1:08 left in OT). I could watch that on
slow motion for an hour! Justin Jackson had a very good game (17min) - was very active
on the floor - led the team in +/- at +13. Trey Burke's speed is a nice weapon to have and that other famous guy from Wurzburg - Kleber is pretty solid defensively.
DFS had his best game as a Mav 27 points, 11 reb, 5 assists - with six made threes, including two in OT. Doe was huge for the Mavericks tonight.
Great team win with 37 assists for us overall - lots of great passing of the ball.
Oh - 1 more thing...
Love it when the announcers mention this trade...
...remember when the Knicks traded Porzingis, Hardaway, and Burke for nothing?

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 08-09-2020 at 05:36 AM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2020, 09:04 AM   #122
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Most impressive thing about the win was the fact that Luka took the ball into the paint REGULARLY during the 4th quarter comeback and in overtime

The Mavs cannot live by the 3 in the playoffs and Luka is our most skilled player at working in tight quarters
Luka making and finally arcing his damn FTs too. Looks like the kid was thoroughly coached before this game. Best game of his Mavs career IMO.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 08-09-2020 at 09:34 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #123
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Luka making finally arcing his damn FTs too. Looks like the kid was thoroughly coached before this game. Best game of his Mavs career IMO.
Yeah, this was the type of game that Luka needed to help take him to the next level. He won't do this every night but the one thing that pleased me more than anything was his ability to get anywhere on the floor that he wanted every time down against the best defense in the league and he literally made everyone a much better player....especially DFS.

I thought your man Jackson had a pretty good game as well. He seemed incredibly active this game and I think he could become a regular if continues to play with that kind of aggression.

Last edited by rimrocker; 08-09-2020 at 09:24 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #124
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Yeah, this was the type of game that Luka needed to help take him to the next level. He won't do this every night but the one thing that pleased me more than anything was his ability to get anywhere on the floor that he wanted every time down against the best defense in the league and he literally made everyone a much better player....especially DFS.

I thought your man Jackson had a pretty good game as well. He seemed incredibly active this game and I think he could become a regular if continues to play with that kind of aggression.
2 things Jax shows us so far is that he is likely to drop off a cliff after a good game and the other is that at 6'7" he cannot finish with a dunk.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #125
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Most impressive thing about the win was the fact that Luka took the ball into the paint REGULARLY during the 4th quarter comeback and in overtime

The Mavs cannot live by the 3 in the playoffs and Luka is our most skilled player at working in tight quarters
That's a false dichotomy. It's not threes or drives. You need one for the other.

It's the fact that we stop driving in the second half and we stop driving in the second half because we don't have the threes to open up the middle so we can drive.

Just look at the Clippers game. Really dominated on the drive, then the Clippers started sagging off our perimeter guys so they could really punish Luka. For a while we were getting a lot of open threes, but no one was making any. Then it was Luka driving on two guys with 1-2 guys free to provide help. It clogged us all up.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #126
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
2 things Jax shows us so far is that he is likely to drop off a cliff after a good game and the other is that at 6'7" he cannot finish with a dunk.
Yeah but he is pretty crafty at finishing in the paint and around the rim similar as Jamison's game but my biggest disappointment in him has been his lack of ability to defend. He looked more active on defense last night and seemed to be more aggressive on the offensive end.

Not saying the guy is great by any means, and if we can move him in the off-season we should, but he is basically our best backup wing at this point so my point is that he could become part of the regular rotation in the POs if he can keep that up.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #127
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
That's a false dichotomy. It's not threes or drives. You need one for the other.
You deliberately misunderstood what I meant

On our recent late game meltdowns we relied on mostly a perimeter offense with very little penetration. This was a change - Luka didn't settle for a difficult 3 or kept the ball on the perimeter. This time we attacked and got good shots from 3 because our attacks collapsed the defense
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #128
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You deliberately misunderstood what I meant

On our recent late game meltdowns we relied on mostly a perimeter offense with very little penetration. This was a change - Luka didn't settle for a difficult 3 or kept the ball on the perimeter. This time we attacked and got good shots from 3 because our attacks collapsed the defense
I think you deliberately misread mine then or you just don't understand the dynamic between driving and spreading the floor with jumpers.

We were hitting enough jumpers to keep them honest and the help was just a little too slow so we had access to both. Clippers on the other hand, stifled our ability to drive so we were stuck with ineffective drives and missed threes.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-09-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #129
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think you deliberately misread mine then or you just don't understand the dynamic between driving and spreading the floor with jumpers.
Yep

You are the only one here who understands basketball
Old 08-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #130
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post

I never understand why Jackson gets so much crap. He's the 12th man for pete's sake. He makes mistakes like anyone, but he is a great team player and has lots of all around skill. I feel like he is one of the few non Luke/KP players on the team that knows exactly what his role is.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #131
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I never understand why Jackson gets so much crap. He's the 12th man for pete's sake. He makes mistakes like anyone, but he is a great team player and has lots of all around skill. I feel like he is one of the few non Luke/KP players on the team that knows exactly what his role is.
Mavs fans are petty. If we ever aren’t perfect, someone here has to take a crap on them and blame them for all the problems.

Brunson is actually one of our best players? Nope, he’s a sub-average jerk sho should be waived

Jackson is perfectly decent for what he is? Nope. He’s the worst and I hate him

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-09-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #132
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Posted this last night....

That lineup with Kp, Kleber and DFS all on the floor together is the best closing lineup we have to offer.

That trio gives the mavs the ability to rebound and defend at the rim with more consistency.

Can't stress this enough we don't have the talent to matchup defensively late in games when we go small and if those small lineups aren't hitting 3's down the stretch it compounds the situation because our defense and rebounding takes a hit with the small ball.

I'd much rather take our changes with KP, DFS and Kleber missing shots yet still being able to defend and rebound late in games.

I think THJ was the 3rd shooter in the closing lineup and he finally showed a bit late for us.

Moving forward I think instead of trying to play THJ and Curry together late in games the mavs should consistently stick with the big frontline and use who ever is shooting better between THJ, Curry or Burke.

Last edited by Dallas41; 08-09-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #133
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Gianni's to the Mavs, obviously.

httpss://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29626259/luka-doncic-19-assists-steal-show-mavericks-top-bucks?platform=amp

Old 08-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #134
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
I thought he stepped up last night and wasn't passive like he has been in some other games. We will need him in the POs and I think he can contribute if he stays aggressive.

I feel more comfortable with him backing up DFS than MKG because MKG provides absolutely nothing on offense and doesn't help spread the floor like Jackson does.

I've always pulled for him because seems like he could take his game to the next level.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #135
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcsFoublH24

Could not be more pumped for this kid
Old 08-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #136
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Gianni's to the Mavs, obviously.

httpss://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29626259/luka-doncic-19-assists-steal-show-mavericks-top-bucks?platform=amp
Can you imagine those two together? Giannis can basically clean everything off the glass and Doncic just lobbing to him?
Old 08-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #137
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcsFoublH24

Could not be more pumped for this kid
And to think we have to wait 5 years for him to enter his prime.

One of the most entertaining part of watching those highlights are the reactions of the defenders to some of those moves. The looks on some of their faces are priceless.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #138
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Can you imagine those two together? Giannis can basically clean everything off the glass and Doncic just lobbing to him?
Mavs really need to add some athletic wings to play with Luka. One of the reasons I'd like to see them draft Josh Green if he is there when they pick.
He's a great defender who can guard several positions and has good size and freakish wing span.
A good catch and shoot 3pt shooter and is super athletic and good in the open court.

Luka and Green could become one hell of an entertaining backcourt duo.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #139
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone got a link for the full game? Was out in the Sierras this weekend and missed the game of the year
Old 08-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #140
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Would we do the deal if the Bucks offered him to us during during next season's trade deadline for Porzingis?

If the Bucks felt like they couldn't sign Giannis they will shop him

I personally think Giannis is an even better fit than Porzingis
Old 08-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #141
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Would we do the deal if the Bucks offered him to us during during next season's trade deadline for Porzingis?

I don't think Cuban would make the same mistake twice passing on the GF.
That would be an absolute no-brainer.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #142
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Dude, is that even a question???? I would trade five Porzingises for Giannis.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #143
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Posted this last night....

That lineup with Kp, Kleber and DFS all on the floor together is the best closing lineup we have to offer.

That trio gives the mavs the ability to rebound and defend at the rim with more consistency.

Can't stress this enough we don't have the talent to matchup defensively late in games when we go small and if those small lineups aren't hitting 3's down the stretch it compounds the situation because our defense and rebounding takes a hit with the small ball.

I'd much rather take our changes with KP, DFS and Kleber missing shots yet still being able to defend and rebound late in games.

I think THJ was the 3rd shooter in the closing lineup and he finally showed a bit late for us.

Moving forward I think instead of trying to play THJ and Curry together late in games the mavs should consistently stick with the big frontline and use who ever is shooting better between THJ, Curry or Burke.

Our biggest issue with not playing KP and Maxi together is our lack of big man depth - that's where i was hoping WCS would be able to provide a viable option. Without WCS though we're stuck with rotating KP and Maxi (or subbing in Boban if Rick will play him). I do agree that the combo of the two is our best crunch time defending team. It'd be nice if we could pair them together more.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #144
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Dude, is that even a question???? I would trade five Porzingises for Giannis.
There is a question of whether Giannis would sign a long term deal with us

And the question whether he would have signed with us anyway thus giving away a big asset
Old 08-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #145
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is a question of whether Giannis would sign a long term deal with us

And the question whether he would have signed with us anyway thus giving away a big asset
Even if it's a for a one year rental, you do that deal every single time. Giannis is the best player in the world. Him and Luka on the floor together, even with a mediocre supporting cast is an instant title contender. You have a real shot at winning a title that year, in which case it's worth every single asset you would have to give up. Look at Toronto. I don't think they have one shred of regret about anything they gave up for Kawhi. Luka and Giannis together I really could do the same. And I think we'd have *at least* a 50/50 shot of re-signing Giannis.

No disrespect to KP, who I do love, but he's just not in the same stratosphere as Giannis. KP is a one-time all-star, who will always be an injury risk. Giannis is in all probability about to win his second straight MVP. Giannis is an all-time great. I'll take one year of Giannis over five years of KP, and I don't even have to think twice about it.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 08-09-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #146
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Even if it's a for a one year rental, you do that deal every single time. Giannis is the best player in the world. Him and Luka on the floor together, even with a mediocre supporting cast is an instant title contender. You have a real shot at winning a title that year, in which case it's worth every single asset you would have to give up. Look at Toronto. I don't think they have one shred of regret about anything they gave up for Kawhi. Luka and Giannis together I really could do the same. And I think we'd have *at least* a 50/50 shot of re-signing Giannis.

No disrespect to KP, who I do love, but he's just not in the same stratosphere as Giannis. KP is a one-time all-star, who will always be an injury risk. Giannis is in all probability about to win his second straight MVP. Giannis is an all-time great. I'll take one year of Giannis over five years of KP, and I don't even have to think twice about it.
taking this one step further - if we don't do everything we can to build a contender we might lose Luka. How long will he stick around if we're putzing around and not building the right pieces to make a contender?

that being said - a big 3 of KP, Giannis, and Luka? gimme gimme...
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #147
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
taking this one step further - if we don't do everything we can to build a contender we might lose Luka. How long will he stick around if we're putzing around and not building the right pieces to make a contender?

that being said - a big 3 of KP, Giannis, and Luka? gimme gimme...
He won't be eligible for unrestricted free agency for several years. If the Mavs haven't build a contender around him by year 6 or 7, then they deserve to lose him.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #148
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I'm be in the minority here but I hope the Mavs keep KP even for Giannis.

Don't get me wrong I love Giannis but I wouldn't give up the farm to get him on a rental.

KP might not be as good overall but I still feel as if KP has another level he can get to....

If you put the right pieces around him and Luka you can still compete at some point for a title.

Long atheletic wings like A.Gordon or J.Isaac depending on his recovery would be great complementary pieces around KP and Luka without giving up the farm.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:19 AM   #149
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I'm be in the minority here but I hope the Mavs keep KP even for Giannis.

Don't get me wrong I love Giannis but I wouldn't give up the farm to get him on a rental.

KP might not be as good overall but I still feel as if KP has another level he can get to....

If you put the right pieces around him and Luka you can still compete at some point for a title.

Long atheletic wings like A.Gordon or J.Isaac depending on his recovery would be great complementary pieces around KP and Luka without giving up the farm.
I think you're either overrating KP, or underrating Giannis, or both. I love KP, but he's not even close to the caliber of player that Giannis is. KP is not a top 20 player right now, and I'm not sure he ever will be. Giannis is the best player in the world, and will probably end his career in the top 15-20 all time if he stays healthy. I do believe that KP still has some upside, but he will never be anywhere near where Giannis is. KP is 25 years old and has been in the league five years. You pretty much are what you are by that point. He can still improve aspects of his game, but I'm honestly not sure he'll ever make an all-nba team. He could, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't.

Yeah, I'd trade five years of Porzingis for one year of Giannis, and I wouldn't even blink. Especially considering that IF we did get Giannis, I think we'd have a better than 50/50 shot of re-signing him. He clearly loves Luka, and would love playing with him. Their games are made for each other. He's not going to find a better teammate in the NBA. I doubt Giannis leaves to go the Lakers or Heat or wherever.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:26 AM   #150
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

It's a moot point though because A: I think Giannis will re-sign with the Bucks, and B: even if the above scenario plays out where he makes it clear he won't re-sign and the Bucks decide to shop him around, there will be no shortage of teams that could easily outbid the Mavs.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:58 AM   #151
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
It's a moot point though because A: I think Giannis will re-sign with the Bucks, and B: even if the above scenario plays out where he makes it clear he won't re-sign and the Bucks decide to shop him around, there will be no shortage of teams that could easily outbid the Mavs.
All they have to do is unload Powell's contract by the deadline next year, or maybe in the first week of FA the following summer, and it's game on.

I actually think the entire plan is to take one (and only one) shot at a max player that summer, before they have to pay Luka.

I got as sick of all the pipeareams as everyone else, but in two years the Mavs could potentially have enough space for a max player to go with one of the best, if not the best, young, up and coming playoff team in the game.

They might not get Giannis, but it's not anywhere close to crazy to dream about it this time. They're going to get SOMEONE that summer.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #152
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of KP and Giannis, that play where Giannis went full speed to try to block KPs dunk attempt had be shitting bricks for a second. Thank fuck it wasnt dejavu tbh

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:59 PM   #153
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I spent half the game imagining that pipe dream. I also imagined all the talking heads instantly giving us praise and saying we are the favorites to win it all.

I'm excited to see if/how things change in regards to FA's wanting to be a Mav because of Luka(s distribution).

Old 08-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #154
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
I spent half the game imagining that pipe dream. I also imagined all the talking heads instantly giving us praise and saying we are the favorites to win it all.

I'm excited to see if/how things change in regards to FA's wanting to be a Mav because of Luka(s distribution).
There's no question that people are going to want to play with Luka. All he has to do is keep this up (easier said than done) for another season.

Maybe they even win a series next year, making things even more attractive.

It's like we're waiting in line at six flags.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #155
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
All they have to do is unload Powell's contract by the deadline next year, or maybe in the first week of FA the following summer, and it's game on.

I actually think the entire plan is to take one (and only one) shot at a max player that summer, before they have to pay Luka.

I got as sick of all the pipeareams as everyone else, but in two years the Mavs could potentially have enough space for a max player to go with one of the best, if not the best, young, up and coming playoff team in the game.

They might not get Giannis, but it's not anywhere close to crazy to dream about it this time. They're going to get SOMEONE that summer.
I'm not holding my breath for Giannis but I tend to agree. I think we have as good a chance as anyone to land a big FA next summer, and better than most. I think the whole narrative about how free agents don't like Dallas is overblown and misguided. The reason the Mavs have struck out so many times in free agency is because they never had cap space until Dirk was already in his mid 30s. No superstar or even all star was every going to stake their prime years on playing next to a well-past-his-prime Dirk. If the Mavs had had cap space when Dirk was 25? Who knows. I bet we could have gotten a Vince Carter or someone like that. We may not be New York or LA, but we're not Charlotte or Minnesota either.

I think Giannis stays in Milwaukee, but if he does leave, then we've got a shot.

Donovan Mitchell would be phenomenal, but he's RFA, so that's probably not realistic.

The guy I'm watching the closest is Oladipo. Pre-injury, he was the perfect player to put next to Luka. If he can get even close to pre-injury form, then we should go for him. Kelly Oubre is intriguing too, but I don't know if he'll leave Phoenix. Jrue Holiday would also be pretty sweet addition even though he's older than I would like.